ImageImageImageImageImage

We have to ask ourselves if Mitch lost his touch.

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

KobeKenobi
Senior
And1: 222

We have to ask ourselves if Mitch lost his touch. 

Post#1 » by KobeKenobi » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:21 am

Mitch had a great run and no question that the franchise probably should have a statue of him next to Magic and Kareem...and retire his name on the wall. Mitch is HOF.....legendary GM.

I just think Mitch lost his touch somewhere down the line. I know we won 2 rings just 5 years ago...I know. Yes the CP3 trade set us back big time and Mitch did everything he could to bounce back. Mitch should of known getting Nash was a mistake however. Most of us didn't know...but I think he really of should have know not to get Nash. He should of been the sensible one to know that he is getting too up there in age for that kind of contract.

I also think it was obvious Mitch should of went after Jameer Nelson. Remember this post?

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1336831&start=20

We needed redundancy at the PG position since Nash is near broke from what happened last season. Clarkson isn't ready to lead at the point. Lin is fine, but Jameer would of given this team a good heady PG that could shoot the ball.

Now look where we are. Nash literally has a fork in him. Clarkson and Lin have injury issues. Nelson would of been the perfect backup PG for Lin. And while I like Price, if Lin goes down at any point in the season we are literally screwed.

And why keep Wesley Johnson? It makes no sense.... :crazy:
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Re: We have to ask ourselves if Mitch lost his touch. 

Post#2 » by Sofa King » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:36 am

We should get another point guard. We drafted Clarkson, but he's more of a shooting guard now.

I think we'll be fine when Lin gets back. Clarkson should add another scoring option off the bench.

It's a fragile team. Any injury could set us back.

We'll have to look for the D-League to fill up the roster.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#3 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:40 am

Sacre needs to be more careful. Lin should be OK. Nelson's pretty old anyways. It's really too bad Marshall had to be waived, couldn't Boozer's bid be a bit lower or something?
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#4 » by Mirjalovic » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:10 am

Yeah, mitch lost his touch.

The big evident is he unable to think if its all Sacre fault.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

5ertwenty
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#5 » by 5ertwenty » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:03 pm

Are you serious? Mitch has lost his touch?! Kobe, Bynum, Marc, Pau, CP3, Dwight, Nash - what's that, like 7 all-stars he's been able to "acquire"? This is just brilliant IMO, compared to other GM's, he's on an other level. The bad luck is what's got in the way of success. How can you blame Mitch for the Chris Paul veto, the Dwight debacle and the Nash injury? You just can't. And even this off-season: getting Lin for basically nothing was vintage Kupchack.

The only real "errors" of judgement have been the coaching choices - but when you're trying to replace the GOAT Phil Jackson, every attempt to fill his seat looks like a blunder, especially when the said coach hasn't got a healthy team to work with.

I don't think Kupchack has lost his touch. I do not blame any of the misfortunes on Mitch. I just think we've had a most unfortunate string of bad luck - that's it.

Mitch is the best. Peace.
Jordan | Kobe | Kareem| Bird | Magic
Tiesto_Lakers
Analyst
And1: 4,154

Post#6 » by Tiesto_Lakers » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:16 pm

I'm not saying he lost his touch, but if you were to tell me in 2010 that Gasol, Odom and Bynum would all be off the team four years later and replaced with virtually no one, I would be thinking twice about Mitch's ability to build a contender.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#7 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:54 pm

Mitch has nothing to work with. No GM in the world could possibly be successful in his position. The new CBA has literally destroyed any advantage the Lakers previously enjoyed through their market. On top of it they are stuck with aging stars and in an era where you basically need a young star in order to attract other max contract player. The lakers are in a bad position to upgrade quickly. Thank the new cba for that. Heck the whole Nash trade was a means to appease Dr. Buss. Nothing Mitch can do about that when his owner is making the moves for him. The next couple of years will be bad and there's nothing anyone could do about it. Let's just hope we can rebuild well through the draft and get lucky in FA.
AdonisDeMarion
Bench Warmer
And1: 121

Post#8 » by AdonisDeMarion » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:49 pm

5ertwenty wrote:Are you serious? Mitch has lost his touch?! Kobe, Bynum, Marc, Pau, CP3, Dwight, Nash - what's that, like 7 all-stars he's been able to "acquire"? This is just brilliant IMO, compared to other GM's, he's on an other level. The bad luck is what's got in the way of success. How can you blame Mitch for the Chris Paul veto, the Dwight debacle and the Nash injury? You just can't. And even this off-season: getting Lin for basically nothing was vintage Kupchack.

The only real "errors" of judgement have been the coaching choices - but when you're trying to replace the GOAT Phil Jackson, every attempt to fill his seat looks like a blunder, especially when the said coach hasn't got a healthy team to work with.

I don't think Kupchack has lost his touch. I do not blame any of the misfortunes on Mitch. I just think we've had a most unfortunate string of bad luck - that's it.

Mitch is the best. Peace.

AMEN
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#9 » by Marionettetc » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:53 pm

I think you're overvaluing just what a general manager can do given present circumstances, and undervaluing how much of the business is out of anyone's control.

A well run organization can put itself in a position to win, but it can't will itself to just have the best players and a 82-0 record every year.

It's unreasonable to expect the Lakers to have the best talent in the league every year.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,683

Post#10 » by Pointgod » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm not sure that it's Mitch losing his touch than Jim Buss having no direction. The problem with the Lakers is that they're all or nothing with when it comes to building a team. They expect superstars to just beg to play for them. That's not realistic. You can't tell me this team wouldn't be better off in the short term and future with Lance Stephenson over Jordan Hill
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#11 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:37 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:The new CBA has literally destroyed any advantage the Lakers previously enjoyed through their market.
The day the league signed that thing into effect, I tracked the teams that were on top prior to that CBA. Every one of them are in destitute mode because of that CBA. I'm all for a lockout in 2017, I don't give a damn if there is no ball. More than just player salaries will change with that. Remember not all of the owners was on board with that CBA.

KobeKenobi wrote: Most of us didn't know...but I think he really of should have know not to get Nash. He should of been the sensible one to know that he is getting too up there in age for that kind of contract.
I knew and was spitting it all over this board that we didn't need Nash, he was busted up in his last season in Phoenix. And people love giving the Phoenix medical staff all these props for being the best, hell not even them could save his bust body.

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:but if you were to tell me in 2010 that Gasol, Odom and Bynum would all be off the team four years later and replaced with virtually no one,
Not true on Bynum, he was replaced.....we just don't have the coward here to show for it. Gasol is 34 years old, he was bottoming out anyways most big do after 32-33 anyway. Only the Odom deal was a push for nothing.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#12 » by snaquille oatmeal » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:48 pm

DEEP even the Odom move was brilliant in my opinion considering what happened to him
Forum permissions