TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Re: Official 14-15 NCAA/Draft Discussion Thread [ft. TyCobb] 

Post#401 » by TyCobb » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:12 am

ALL HAIL wrote:
TyCobb wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:So defensively he's a SG and on offense he's a PG.

You think he'd guard SGs better than PGs?

I don't think he guards either position particularly well, but I'd rather save him some energy by having him guard off the ball so he can be effective at his strength, which is on the offensive end.

You think he could handle "all" the ball-handling duties? Or at least 80% of them?

Ohio State has a senior PG so 63% of the time Russell is slotted at the two. However, he is still used the most in possessions by a good 9% more than the next guy (Scott, Tate). He's got a good handle and can create for others too, so yes, he can handle a good majority of the ball-handling duties which is why I'd want a Beverley type (defensive mind guard who can spot up for 3) next to him if that's the way you want to build your team.

Personally, I'd want to build from the inside out, but I do see the attraction of Russell in this modern era of the NBA.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#402 » by Mirjalovic » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:16 am

we got Randle as our inside guy.

a first rate guard + randle would be nasty. then add decent young athletic center
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#403 » by LApwnd » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:55 pm

by some miracle we end up with #1 pick, would you guys want us to take Okafor or find a way to trade back and get Towns and maybe another top 15-20 pick and other minor assets?
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#404 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:24 pm

No you take Okafor.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#405 » by LApwnd » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:59 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:No you take Okafor.

you don't see a potential defensive liabilities between Randle/Okafor pairing?
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#406 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:04 pm

LApwnd wrote:

I wouldn't concern myself with defense at this stage. If you can get the surest thing to be a multiple all star for a decade you take him. Besides, you don't just trade the first overall pick unless it's for someone like Durant/Davis/Lebron.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#407 » by ALL HAIL » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

I wouldn't concern myself with defense at this stage. If you can get the surest thing to be a multiple all star for a decade you take him. Besides, you don't just trade the first overall pick unless it's for someone like Durant/Davis/Lebron.

Wow.

I disagree so much. You must always consider how your "stars" will fit ... always.
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#408 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:12 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

Wow.

I disagree so much. You must always consider how your "stars" will fit ... always.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree since i'm an advocate for taking best player available especially in a league where you only have five men on the court at a time unless you already have an all star player at the position. Not to mention it's an offensive friendly league causing great offensive players to have a much bigger impact than great defensive ones. Also no one knows if Okafor is going to be a bad defensive player.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#409 » by LApwnd » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:33 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:I wouldn't concern myself with defense at this stage. If you can get the surest thing to be a multiple all star for a decade you take him. Besides, you don't just trade the first overall pick unless it's for someone like Durant/Davis/Lebron.

Wow.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree since i'm an advocate for taking best player available especially in a league where you only have five men on the court at a time unless you already have an all star player at the position. Not to mention it's an offensive friendly league causing great offensive players to have a much bigger impact than great defensive ones. Also no one knows if Okafor is going to be a bad defensive player.

how bout if we did get #1 and a team with 4-5 would take Randle for it, maybe with inclusion of Hou pick? Would take that trade? Either pair Okafor with Russell or try the crazy twin towers experiment again and pair up Okafor/Towns....since analysis here seem to indicate both have ability to hit jumpers more-so towns who could be more versatile
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#410 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:35 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:Wow.

how bout if we did get #1 and a team with 4-5 would take Randle for it, maybe with inclusion of Hou pick? Would take that trade? Either pair Okafor with Russell or try the crazy twin towers experiment again and pair up Okafor/Towns....since analysis here seem to indicate both have ability to hit jumpers more-so towns who could be more versatile

If we were guaranteed Russell at the 4, i'd do it if a team was willing to make the trade.
LApwnd
Banned User

Post#411 » by LApwnd » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:59 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
LApwnd wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:Guess we'll have to agree to disagree since i'm an advocate for taking best player available especially in a league where you only have five men on the court at a time unless you already have an all star player at the position. Not to mention it's an offensive friendly league causing great offensive players to have a much bigger impact than great defensive ones. Also no one knows if Okafor is going to be a bad defensive player.

If we were guaranteed Russell at the 4, i'd do it if a team was willing to make the trade.

well if projection stands 4 will probably be towns since its looking like russel, okafor, mundaiye are top 3. So unlikely Russell I guess.
Michael Lucky
RealGM

Post#412 » by Michael Lucky » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:05 pm

LApwnd wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

well if projection stands 4 will probably be towns since its looking like russel, okafor, mundaiye are top 3. So unlikely Russell I guess.

nah seems like movement has been with Towns going up this last week. Draftexpress has him at 2 now.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#413 » by TyCobb » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
LApwnd wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:If we were guaranteed Russell at the 4, i'd do it if a team was willing to make the trade.

nah seems like movement has been with Towns going up this last week. Draftexpress has him at 2 now.

That's where they had him originally before they rode the Russell triple double wave.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#414 » by moonpie » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:19 am

Libertyballers wrote a nice scouting report (with GIFs) breaking down Russell's game against Michigan and other general observations. Take a look:

http://www.libertyballers.com/2015/2/24 ... ing-report
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#415 » by ALL HAIL » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:17 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:
ALL HAIL wrote:
Michael Lucky wrote:I wouldn't concern myself with defense at this stage. If you can get the surest thing to be a multiple all star for a decade you take him. Besides, you don't just trade the first overall pick unless it's for someone like Durant/Davis/Lebron.

Wow.

My comment was not so much directed toward the defensive capabilities of an Okafor/Randle combination--I think they'd be able to mesh. It was more directed toward one sentence you wrote: "I wouldn't concern myself with defense at this stage."

Even as you are in talent acquisition, if you are truly building a team, you have to consider your defense as much as you consider your offense.

As you said though, we can agree that we clearly have different philosophies.
Fresh360Waves
Veteran
And1: 339

Post#416 » by Fresh360Waves » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:25 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
LApwnd wrote:

I agree w/ that. The Lakers can't pass up on a kid with the talent Okafor has despite his defensive issues. You worry about that later. If it doesn't necessarily work out, Randle could always come off the bench or get traded. The situation would work itself out. Besides, maybe Okafor could work w/ Kareem and/or Worthy. I saw on TV that Worthy was working w/ Randle during one of their practices so maybe he'd do the same w/ Okafor as well.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#417 » by Mirjalovic » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 am

Well, Randle is a blue chip talent, you can't find his type of talent on this draft class.

he has superstar talent written all over him
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#418 » by TyCobb » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:00 am

Disagree.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#419 » by TyCobb » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:15 am

Kareem with a cool interview with Bill Walton during the second half of the UCLA game. He seems like the ultimate human being.

Looney all over the place today. He's hit 9 of his last 13 three point attempts (5 game span) and has three games in a row with 2 blocks a piece.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#420 » by moonpie » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:43 am

Posting this as a reminder to do a mid/late season rookie retrospective on Clarkson and Randle...and perhaps a scouting report for Tarik Black

Return to Los Angeles Lakers