ImageImageImageImageImage

If Ed Davis starts, who Comes off the Bench?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Should Boozer or Hill come off the bench?

Boozer
76%
Hill
24%

Total votes: 34

ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Re: If Ed Davis starts, who Comes off the Bench? 

Post#41 » by ChokeFasncists » Tue Nov 4, 2014 1:22 pm

OK, Byron calls out Boozer, if he doesn't respond and improve, there's probably gonna be a lineup change:

Lakers’ Byron Scott wants more from Carlos Boozer on defense

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2014/ ... n-defense/

As the Lakers opened the 2014-15 season losing their first four consecutive games for the first time in 57 years, Boozer has become the poster child for the Lakers’ league-worst defense. “He knows he can play better and I expect him to play better,” Lakers coach Byron Scott said Monday at the Lakers’ practice in El Segundo. “To me, it starts on the defensive end. He has to do a better job against pick and roll defense and has to do a better job on guys who are trying to post him off the dribble.”

Incidentally, Boozer’s defensive miscues marked a primary reason why he sat out for most fourth quarters last season in Chicago in favor of an emerging Taj Gibson. The Bulls then waived the 12-year NBA veteran through the amnesty clause.

But Boozer’s struggles go beyond defense. He has mostly remained a non-factor and even committed eight turnovers Wednesday against Phoenix. “I’m trying to get used to playing with different guys and running a different system,” Boozer said. “I’ll get used to it.”
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#42 » by Slava » Tue Nov 4, 2014 6:17 pm

Forget about pick and rolls, we suck at transition defense which is no more than good old lethargy in the very first week of the season. There's just no excuse for lack of effort even if you lack talent.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#43 » by Kilroy » Tue Nov 4, 2014 8:07 pm

Hasn't everybody anywhere wanted more out of Boozer on Defense, always?
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#44 » by ChokeFasncists » Wed Nov 5, 2014 12:19 am

An NBA Detective Story: Who in the Lakers Organization Knows They’re Tanking?

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/an-nb ... e-tanking/

Carlos Boozer, claimed off waivers, theoretically gives the team solid post scoring, semi-OK rebounding, and a veteran presence to mentor Julius Randle. From a shadow-tanking perspective, Boozer also brings negative defense (Bulls opponents scored three more points per 100 possessions with Boozer on the court than off the court last season — that number rose to 10.1 in the playoffs), no rim protection, and a bunch of totally unwarranted yelling and arm flexing.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/489881732917633024[/tweet]
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,335

Post#45 » by Dr Aki » Wed Nov 5, 2014 2:54 am

me thinks the plan was always:

if we won, OMG we're winning, let's win some more

vs

hmmm, we're not particularly good, let's try to keep the pick
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#46 » by Mamba Venom » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:15 pm

Davis and Hill seem pretty good together. Boozer can at least try to get his own shot w/ the reserves. Scott should try it
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#47 » by Mamba Venom » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:18 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:An NBA Detective Story: Who in the Lakers Organization Knows They’re Tanking?

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/an-nb ... e-tanking/

Carlos Boozer, claimed off waivers, theoretically gives the team solid post scoring, semi-OK rebounding, and a veteran presence to mentor Julius Randle. From a shadow-tanking perspective, Boozer also brings negative defense (Bulls opponents scored three more points per 100 possessions with Boozer on the court than off the court last season — that number rose to 10.1 in the playoffs), no rim protection, and a bunch of totally unwarranted yelling and arm flexing.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/HowardBeck/status/489881732917633024[/tweet]

8 years ago prime Kobe-Phil-Odom could get us the #7 seed and a 1st round exit. 36 year old from 2 major injuries Kobe-Scott-Lin is not going to do better. I hope we get a top 5 pick so we have a faster rebuild. Kobe needs to get back to the play-offs and top 5 pick + Randle + 25 cap space signing is how that happens. We are not tanking. We are trying to win with one of the worst rosters in the league w/ injuries to our 2nd (Nash), 4th (Randle) and 5th (Young) best players
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,749

Post#48 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Nov 6, 2014 10:49 pm

ak7 wrote:
Anatomize wrote:I still don't understand Scott's philosophy about not shooting threes, I see your players hesitating, Jeremy Lin had a few wide open opportunities and stepped in and tried to force the issue instead of taking what's there. The game today is so predicated on 3 pt shooting and stretching the floor. Wes Johnson at one point could've had a wide open corner 3 (what would've been a corner 3 under D'antoni) and instead received a 15 footer off a beautiful Kobe pass from the top of the key. These are plays where guys should be nailing 3's, and instead teams are packing the paint on you and forcing long 2's and contested fadeaway jumpers from post-ups, it's ugly old-school basketball that doesn't work.

The lack of 3 point shooting is not designed to gimp us offensively, but limit our transition D where this same group of guys got murdered during last season.

You really can't have one and not the other and be effective, in terms of 3 point shooting and above-average transition D.

If Scott is not running plays designed to get 3-point looks that's fine. But I hope he's not telling them not to take open 3-point looks...
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#49 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Nov 6, 2014 11:19 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
ak7 wrote:
Anatomize wrote:I still don't understand Scott's philosophy about not shooting threes, I see your players hesitating, Jeremy Lin had a few wide open opportunities and stepped in and tried to force the issue instead of taking what's there. The game today is so predicated on 3 pt shooting and stretching the floor. Wes Johnson at one point could've had a wide open corner 3 (what would've been a corner 3 under D'antoni) and instead received a 15 footer off a beautiful Kobe pass from the top of the key. These are plays where guys should be nailing 3's, and instead teams are packing the paint on you and forcing long 2's and contested fadeaway jumpers from post-ups, it's ugly old-school basketball that doesn't work.

The lack of 3 point shooting is not designed to gimp us offensively, but limit our transition D where this same group of guys got murdered during last season.

You really can't have one and not the other and be effective, in terms of 3 point shooting and above-average transition D.

If Scott is not running plays designed to get 3-point looks that's fine. But I hope he's not telling them not to take open 3-point looks...

That'd be outrageous, he's saying it's OK to shoot 15 threes a game, it isn't that bad.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#50 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:35 am

Lakers are dead freaking last in opponents points and opponents FG%, perhaps try Ed Davis starting? 15-20 games, that's too late except the tank.

Boozer is doing well against the opponents' second unit and he forms a good combo with Price.

Hill's PnR and help D is just not good enough.
Thanks for the honesty.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#51 » by ChokeFasncists » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:41 am

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... ck-defense

"They got pretty much anything they wanted in the paint with no resistance whatsoever," Scott said. "It was just terrible. That was probably the worst defense that we've played from the preseason all the way to this particular point."

"I want to at least see if they can do it," he said. "If they can't, then we'll change. And I've told our guys that. We want to see in the next three or four games if we can do that, and if we can't, then we'll change and go to something else."

Kobe Bryant, who scored 33 points on 10-of-28 shooting, marveled at how many points the Lakers gave up in the paint. "It was a layup drill," said the Lakers star guard. "Just layup after layup."

'bout dam time. We don't need another three or four games to see, it is necessary, put a shot blocker into the starting lineup. There is only one answer, it is obvious, plz!
Thanks for the honesty.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#52 » by Laker_Kid » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:09 am

you know what. i was thinking. maybe the reason why Davis isnt getting a lot of pt and is not starting may be because it could hurt Hill's pt and production... lowering his stock for a potential trade down the line...

in my opinion he cant start over Boozer either... Sacre cannot be our second string C... just dont.

Sent from my LG-D802 using RealGM Forums mobile app
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#53 » by dockingsched » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:12 am

Laker_Kid wrote:you know what. i was thinking. maybe the reason why Davis isnt getting a lot of pt and is not starting may be because it could hurt Hill's pt and production... lowering his stock for a potential trade down the line...

in my opinion he cant start over Boozer either... Sacre cannot be our second string C... just dont.

Important to note hill has a no trade clause
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#54 » by Laker_Kid » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:49 am

thanks didnt know that

ChokeFasncists
RealGM

Post#55 » by ChokeFasncists » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:24 pm

Ed Davis: A Bright Spot on a Dreary Los Angeles Lakers Roster

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2266 ... ers-roster

Los Angeles is currently dead last in points allowed per game (111.5) and defensive rating (117.4), among other stats. However, the difference between when Davis is on the floor versus off it is telling, to say the least.

When the big man is on, the Lakers allow 108.2 points and put forth a defensive rating of 111.4. When he's off, though, the squad produces the same defensive rating as its team average and allows a whopping 114.7 points to opponents.

Los Angeles Lakers Coach Byron Scott Challenging Defense Doesn’t Change Anything

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/2014/11/1 ... -anything/

Ed Davis has widely been considered the Lakers’ best defensive presence, blocking 1.6 shots per game. Problem is, Davis is third in the Lakers’ rotation of big men behind Hill and Boozer. If Scott has such a problem with the way his team is playing defense, maybe he should consider swapping Davis for Boozer in the starting lineup. Scott points to spacing as why Davis and Hill don’t play together often, but you know what helps spacing? Making three pointers, of which the Lakers are converting 5.5 per game, the 25th lowest in the NBA.

Byron Scott says Lakers' defense might not be fixable

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/la ... story.html

Scott's anti-defense stance took place in New Orleans, a city with which he's very familiar. The New Orleans Hornets went 18-64 in 2004-05, Scott's first year as their coach. The gift of Chris Paul wouldn't arrive until the next season, which meant a lot of losses. Lee Nailon, David Wesley and Dan Dickau became the Hornets' top scorers in the 2004-05 season.

Scott was asked to compare that team with the present-day Lakers. "There's some similarities, but we didn't have a No. 24," Scott said, referring to Bryant. "That's a big difference. We've got somebody that we can throw the ball to at the end of games if we can keep it close. "But as far as trying to rebuild and everything, yeah, a lot of similarities as far as trying to put your handprint on them … especially that defensive end of the floor."

So he got them to play bad defense and got CP3. Same in Cleveland? ~lol~ at David Wesley, no wonder he's so concerned, even tho clueless. Now I understand what's going on......there's no need to fix it......a lot of similarities indeed!
Thanks for the honesty.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers