ImageImageImageImageImage

The Official 2015 Offseason Free Agency Thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Re: The Official 2015 Offseason Free Agency Thread 

Post#441 » by TylersLakers » Tue Apr 7, 2015 1:24 am

scoobs07 wrote:Maybe we should use the cap space on Danny Green and Tyson Chandler, two good defensive players that have won rings? Then, Boozer with the room exception. This is after drafting Russell, Anderson and Upshaw

Pf-randle, boozer, Kelly
Sf-Green, Anderson
C-Chandler, Black, Upshaw
Pg-Russell, Clarkson, buyks
Sg-Bryant, Young, Brown

Geez, how much money would you be paying Green and Chandler in that situation?

I wouldn't mind..

- Danny Green, 4 years, 35M
- Tyson Chandler, 2 year, 8M

Then accept Jordan Hill's option.

- Room exception on Thomas Robinson
- Draft Russell, Hollis-Jefferson, Michael Frazier
- Vet min on Ronnie Price

PG: D'Angelo Russell/ Jordan Clarkson/ Ronnie Price/
SG: Kobe Bryant/ Nick Young/ Michael Frazier/
SF: Danny Green/ Rondae Hollis-Jefferson/ Jabari Brown/
PF: Julius Randle/ Thomas Robinson/ Ryan Kelly
C: Tyson Chandler/ Jordan Hill/Tarik Black/
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#442 » by scoobs07 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 1:55 am

TylersLakers wrote:
scoobs07 wrote:Maybe we should use the cap space on Danny Green and Tyson Chandler, two good defensive players that have won rings? Then, Boozer with the room exception. This is after drafting Russell, Anderson and Upshaw

Pf-randle, boozer, Kelly
Sf-Green, Anderson
C-Chandler, Black, Upshaw
Pg-Russell, Clarkson, buyks
Sg-Bryant, Young, Brown

Geez, how much money would you be paying Green and Chandler in that situation?

I wouldn't mind..

- Danny Green, 4 years, 35M
- Tyson Chandler, 2 year, 8M

Then accept Jordan Hill's option.

- Room exception on Thomas Robinson
- Draft Russell, Hollis-Jefferson, Michael Frazier
- Vet min on Ronnie Price

PG: D'Angelo Russell/ Jordan Clarkson/ Ronnie Price/
SG: Kobe Bryant/ Nick Young/ Michael Frazier/
SF: Danny Green/ Rondae Hollis-Jefferson/ Jabari Brown/
PF: Julius Randle/ Thomas Robinson/ Ryan Kelly
C: Tyson Chandler/ Jordan Hill/Tarik Black/
With the cap going up drastically in the summer of 2016, I think we are going to see a lot of players getting over paid this offseason. If we have 22 million in room and we are not able to make a big splash, then we could at least apease Kobe and "sell" the average Laker fan two championship nba starters. We would be talking at lease 4years/48mill in for Green and 2years/20 mill for Chandler.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#443 » by ALL HAIL » Tue Apr 7, 2015 2:15 am

That's too much green for Green.

I've been saying this years, a team of untradeable contracts is far worse than a team that is talent-stricken.

I'd rather pay Jared Dudley 5 mill a year or DeMarre Carroll 8 mill a year.

Twelve million a year for Green is just too much, irregardless of the cap increase.
scoobs07
Starter
And1: 82

Post#444 » by scoobs07 » Tue Apr 7, 2015 3:08 am

The cap is estimated to go up to between 85-90 million in 16-17. 12,000,000 is 14% of that. That is like 9,000,0000 with the current 66,000,000 cap, which isn't too bad for a championship pedigree 3 and D wing like Green, who will still only be 28 next season.
miggs
Lead Assistant
And1: 446

Post#445 » by miggs » Tue Apr 7, 2015 4:16 am

9m a year for Green is too much AND not a player I'm willing to pay. The increase in cap over the next few years will be crucial to turning this franchise around, we have to be very careful how that money is used.
2014: Randle / Clarkson
2015: Russell / Nance
2016: Ingram / Zubac
2017: Top 3 Pick? :nod: Fultz, Ball or Bust
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#446 » by TylersLakers » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:34 am

ALL HAIL wrote:That's too much green for Green.

I've been saying this years, a team of untradeable contracts is far worse than a team that is talent-stricken.

I'd rather pay Jared Dudley 5 mill a year or DeMarre Carroll 8 mill a year.

Twelve million a year for Green is just too much, irregardless of the cap increase.

^^^^ Bingo. I would LOVE Danny Green for 7-9M a season, anything drastically over that and you're just making a foolish decision.
Westbreezy
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Post#447 » by Westbreezy » Thu Apr 9, 2015 3:42 am

miggs wrote:9m a year for Green is too much AND not a player I'm willing to pay. The increase in cap over the next few years will be crucial to turning this franchise around, we have to be very careful how that money is used.

What? A wing player with championship experience playing in a motion offense who is one of the best man defenders and 3 point shooters in the league is an overpay at $9 million in a league where the cap will increase massively? You guys are crazy, Danny Green is a rare and useful commodity in our league. Think of how many SG/SFs either only play defense with no offensive game to speak of, or are good at spacing the floor but terrible defenders? Green is a great defender and a great 3 point shooter (42% from 3 on nearly 6 attempts per game)

He's an incredible role player to have. $9-$10 mil per year is a good price to pay someone like him in TODAYS salary cap environment, he'll be one of the best bargain contracts in two years when the cap dictates that the MLE is around $8 million.

I also love Kris Middleton for similar reasons (and he's only 23!). It'll probably take a 4 year $56 million ($14 mil/yr) deal for Milwaukee not to match him though.
dub81 wrote:Byron had to do one of two things this year: Either win games or develop the youth. Swung and missed wildly on both.

Lakers 2015-16 Season in a Nutshell
miggs
Lead Assistant

Post#448 » by miggs » Thu Apr 9, 2015 3:58 am

I don't disagree with you on the quality of player he is, however, we aren't the Spurs, who have Timmy, Tony, Manu plus the emergence of Kawhi and Splitter's pleasant development, to surround Green. He definitely benefits from the system he's playing in and has not shown much of an ability to create his own shots, often he gets those open looks which he's deadly at, as he moves very well without the ball.

However, we'd be paying him 9m on a squad with very little identity thus far, for a guy who is best suited on competitive squads and not rebuilders, typical Pop kind of player. Plus, we'd be more than doubling his salary for a guy who's 28 in June, won't be getting any better AND for all reasons mentioned, doesn't fit at all with the implied intention of the front office, who was quoted as saying they wouldn't acquire players to help them win now if it compromises their future, and I can tell you for 100% certain, Danny Green at 9m/yr is one major step in compromising our future.

We're better suited giving that money to Wes Matthews who I believe will recover well from his achilles injury, for the simple reason that like Green, Matthews doesn't use his athleticism much in his game, mostly just an all motor kind of guy. At this point though, even I'm off the Wes Matthews wagon I once was solely on it seemed post achilles, but in the last few weeks my thoughts are we should stay young and bring in vets to help our rooks come along well.
miggs
Lead Assistant

Post#449 » by miggs » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:01 am

Middleton I REALLY like, though I agree, it'll take a huge overpayment on his salary for milwaukee not to match. considering they haven't even had jabari parker this year, they've come along nicely as well, and Middleton I feel is a big part of that along with the Alphabet (I like that nickname for Giannis over the Greek Freak).
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#450 » by ALL HAIL » Thu Apr 9, 2015 5:03 am

Westbreezy wrote:
miggs wrote:9m a year for Green is too much AND not a player I'm willing to pay. The increase in cap over the next few years will be crucial to turning this franchise around, we have to be very careful how that money is used.

What? A wing player with championship experience playing in a motion offense who is one of the best man defenders and 3 point shooters in the league is an overpay at $9 million in a league where the cap will increase massively? You guys are crazy, Danny Green is a rare and useful commodity in our league. Think of how many SG/SFs either only play defense with no offensive game to speak of, or are good at spacing the floor but terrible defenders? Green is a great defender and a great 3 point shooter (42% from 3 on nearly 6 attempts per game)

He's an incredible role player to have. $9-$10 mil per year is a good price to pay someone like him in TODAYS salary cap environment, he'll be one of the best bargain contracts in two years when the cap dictates that the MLE is around $8 million.

I also love Kris Middleton for similar reasons (and he's only 23!). It'll probably take a 4 year $56 million ($14 mil/yr) deal for Milwaukee not to match him though.

If you read back a few posts, you'll notice that scoops suggested paying Green 12 mill for four years, to which I made the appropriate response.

At 12 mill, that's too much for Green. At 9 mill, I agree, it's very doable. I'm not sure I would, but I'd definitely lean that direction as long as the years weren't long.

Danny Green, I think, is very attainable.

If the Lakers tender Kawhi Leonard a max offer, then the Spurs match, they make then give serious pause to dolling out (almost) another 10 mill on a role player, albeit a very important one.

Make no mistake though, I agree with you ... DeMarre Carroll as well, same boat.
aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Post#451 » by aaron_gray » Thu Apr 9, 2015 10:00 am

Why would you pay a 3 and d guy after they make it big? The place to look for shooting and defense is in the dumpster, not the apple store right after the new iPhone comes out.
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
ratedrdb
Banned User
And1: 8

Post#452 » by ratedrdb » Thu Apr 9, 2015 11:51 am

winslow will be better than Kawhi.... this is a fact and will be cheaper so we can get Monroe...
pg-clarkson-Norm Powell????
sg-kobe--brown--byucks
sf-winslow-johson
pf-love-davis
c-Monroe-black--Darki Johnson???
we have to trade randle for Monroe and hill/young for love
elington I would like to keep but not sure we can
with Houston pick we can get either Darki Johnson or Norm Powell or R J Hunter or Gary Paytons son
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#453 » by larry14r » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:34 pm

ratedrdb wrote:winslow will be better than Kawhi.... this is a fact and will be cheaper so we can get Monroe...
sg-kobe--brown--byucks
sf-winslow-johson
pf-love-davis
with Houston pick we can get either Darki Johnson or Norm Powell or R J Hunter or Gary Paytons son

I don't think either team will agree to this sign and trade deals. Also the front line defense will be awful.
ratedrdb
Banned User

Post#454 » by ratedrdb » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:41 pm

I know but unless they want nothing in return and the player is willing to sign 1 year deals and re-up when the salary cap goes up I think we have a chance...
ratedrdb
Banned User

Post#455 » by ratedrdb » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:42 pm

but still that's a very good 5 and when westbrook comes up kobe leaves making it able to get him and slide Clarkson over to the 2
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#456 » by LApwnd » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:50 pm

ratedrdb wrote:winslow will be better than Kawhi.... this is a fact and will be cheaper so we can get Monroe...
sg-kobe--brown--byucks
sf-winslow-johson
pf-love-davis

if you're not from the future you can't say Winslow will be better than Kawhi and say its FACT :noway: :banghead:
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#457 » by One Love » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:58 pm

Once again, we are talking about the Lakers paying a SF the max (Leonard) or Green $7 to $9 million instead if drafting Stanley or Winslow who has a more rounded game, is younger & will coast 1/3rd as much... The draft is simple, assuming we stay at 4/5... Take Stanley or Winslow & lock in a top 5 defender, rebounder and passer at SF for the next 10 years... Grab a big in free agency (Monroe, Asik or Kanter) & fill the roster with picks and role players... The NBA has changed & we need to change with them... GS starts Bogut, Cavs start Mozgov, etc... We don't need a dominate low post player...
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#458 » by crazyeights » Thu Apr 9, 2015 2:59 pm

sg-kobe--brown--byucks
sf-winslow-johson
pf-love-davis

Randle for Monroe? Who is going to be a UFA? What a horrible move. Seriously, man. Wow.
Hector_Reyes_8
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,331

Post#459 » by Hector_Reyes_8 » Thu Apr 9, 2015 4:43 pm

I want us to sign Kawhi just so we can shut up Kawhi M8 honestly.... That guy's annoying as hell.
On Harden being MVP of this season ( I don't even like Harden much)

Kawhi M8 wrote:He will be the biggest joke of an MVP to ever win.
Ever.
Absolute spud of a bloke and **** traits as a player, basically tarnish the MVP forever
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#460 » by LApwnd » Thu Apr 9, 2015 5:11 pm

Hector_Reyes_8 wrote:I want us to sign Kawhi just so we can shut up Kawhi M8 honestly.... That guy's annoying as hell.

have to offer him the MAX as soon as FA starts, this will put a wrench in SA FA plan. They'll only have like 3 days or so to match, I believe if they match and Duncan/Manu doesn't retire they wont have cap space to go after Marc.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers