ImageImageImageImageImage

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens at the Trade D

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Re: I'm looking forward to seeing what happens at the Trade D 

Post#81 » by ArC_man » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Is it even worth dealing some of our players for assets like picks? J.Hill has been playing at or above his contract level (everyone, including me, thought he was getting overpaid). If we trade him for a late 1st rounder, how many years will it take for that late 1st rounder to even approximate the kind of production Hill is giving us (assuming the player can even reach the production Hill is giving us)? Cleveland was inquiring about Sacre. If we trade Sacre for a 2nd round pick, chances are that pick will take several years before he's as good as Sacre. Also we could probably just buy a 2nd round pick like last year instead of trading one of our players for one.

I think management stands pat or makes small lateral moves.
EdXDavis21
Banned User
And1: 138

Post#82 » by EdXDavis21 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:49 pm

Kilroy might have a point... Lakers resting Kobe could give the lakers the option to further showcase the players on the team especially if the the team the lakers are discussing with wants to see how Ellington does with extended minutes.....
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#83 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Kilroy wrote:The timing of the Kobe rest period is still kind of interesting... Plenty of games before the deadline to showcase our talent... But we are in a position that we don't need to take a bad deal right now.
So I think we won't make a deal unless it's perfect for us at this time. So I still bet against us doing anything mid season.

I totally agree. We won't take a bad deal.
But I also think there will be some teams that will be desperate for depth for a playoff run that would be willing to overpay for players like Hill, Sacre, Ellington, or even Price.
Lin, and Nash's expiring may even be able to be included if a team like Dallas, Miami, or Clevland wants one of our guys bad enough.
Formerly lakerRD
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,687

Post#84 » by Pointgod » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:47 pm

ArC_man wrote:Is it even worth dealing some of our players for assets like picks?

Absolutely it's worth it. The team has to learn from their mistakes. They lost Gasol for nothing, meeks, Blake etc. It would be ridiculous to let these guys walk and get nothing in return. The name of the game is stacking up assets. We can't complain we don't have assets for a big move and continue to just let players walk without getting anything in return. It's poor team building and demonstrates any foresight
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#85 » by jackwindham » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:17 am

Pointgod wrote:They lost Gasol for nothing, meeks, Blake etc. It would be ridiculous to let these guys walk and get nothing in return.

What was on the table for Gasol? Did the Lakers have a slew of trade options?
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#86 » by ArC_man » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:32 am

Pointgod wrote:
ArC_man wrote:Is it even worth dealing some of our players for assets like picks?

Absolutely it's worth it. The team has to learn from their mistakes. They lost Gasol for nothing, meeks, Blake etc. It would be ridiculous to let these guys walk and get nothing in return. The name of the game is stacking up assets. We can't complain we don't have assets for a big move and continue to just let players walk without getting anything in return. It's poor team building and demonstrates any foresight

The difference is Hill, Sacre, and Young (the guys who other teams actually want) are all under contract for more than just this year. If we dump them for whatever picks we can get, we will end up with expiring contracts and guys on rookie scale contracts; basically a worse version of Philly with a disgruntled Kobe. Guys like Nash, Lin, Ellington, etc aren't even worth mentioning because we won't even get a 2nd rounder for them.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#87 » by Pointgod » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:36 am

jackwindham wrote:
Pointgod wrote:They lost Gasol for nothing, meeks, Blake etc. It would be ridiculous to let these guys walk and get nothing in return.

What was on the table for Gasol? Did the Lakers have a slew of trade options?

Unfortunately we'll never know the the offers on the table for our players. But if you look it up Phoenix was willing to give a first rounder for Gasol. It's nieve to think that the front office couldn't have gotten something for him if they were intent on moving him at the deadline.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#88 » by Pointgod » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:38 am

ArC_man wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

The difference is Hill, Sacre, and Young (the guys who other teams actually want) are all under contract for more than just this year. If we dump them for whatever picks we can get, we will end up with expiring contracts and guys on rookie scale contracts; basically a worse version of Philly with a disgruntled Kobe. Guys like Nash, Lin, Ellington, etc aren't even worth mentioning because we won't even get a 2nd rounder for them.

This team is 9 and 20. There's literally nothing to hold on to. Hill, Sacre and Young aren't difference makers and frankly they'll leave the team the first chance they get. Better to dump them for picks than lose them for nothing which will certainly happen. Lin and Nash are expiring contracts that might fetch a first round pick if we're willing to take on salary. As long as it expires the same time as Kobe's contract I don't see why not.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#89 » by Kilroy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:38 am

But we weren't intent on moving him... We offered him a no trade clause...

We didn't let him walk... Pau just walked.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#90 » by Pointgod » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:46 am

Kilroy wrote:But we weren't intent on moving him... We offered him a no trade clause...

We didn't get anything in return for Pau. Yes we let him walk. We can argue semantics but at the end of the day we messed up by not trading him. And this isn't a hindsight is 20 20 situation. Pau hated constantly being in trade rumours and he hated playing for D'Antoni. The writing was on the wall that he was leaving.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#91 » by Kilroy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:13 am

Pointgod wrote:
Kilroy wrote:But we weren't intent on moving him... We offered him a no trade clause...

We didn't get anything in return for Pau. Yes we let him walk. We can argue semantics but at the end of the day we messed up by not trading him. And this isn't a hindsight is 20 20 situation. Pau hated constantly being in trade rumours and he hated playing for D'Antoni. The writing was on the wall that he was leaving.

Actually, this is pretty much the definition of a hindsight is 20-20 situation... And revisionist history, and probably a little wishful thinking...

The fact is, you have no idea what deals were actually out there for Pau or what those negotiations looked like, so basically, you're making **** up to suit your agenda... That's fine... We, as fans, do that all the time...

But at least be honest about it... It's a hindsight is 20 20 situation... Embrace it.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#92 » by dockingsched » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:11 pm

I respect the way the front office handled the pau gasol negotiations. They set a price which from all reports wasn't too high, and they refused to cave when that price wasn't met. It set a precedent for future trade negotiations that you can't just wait the lakers out.

I just think it's hard to argue against pau being worth what the lakers were asking for, so there's no huge reason to criticize the front office for not moving him to a team hoping to wait the lakers out and get him on the cheap.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
NATIVE SON
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#93 » by NATIVE SON » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:32 pm

I've been posting this everywhere. I think the lakers should package up Hill and Lin maybe a 2nd or nash's contract too for McGee and Afflalo. It would give the lakers the starting C we sorely need. Mcgee is elite at protecting the rim, has elite athleticism for a C, is gonna dunk everything instead of shooting 18ft jumpers that Hill falls in love with (he knows his limitations). We might even be able to have KAJ coach him up in the offseason and teach him some post moves. The reason I say this is because he's better than WCS ,and is more ready to contribute than Towns and Okafor due to the natural learning curve that bigs go through when entering the NBA. Mcgee also has camaraderie with Nick Young. His contract is very reasonable at 11 and 12 the next 2 years so if he doesn't pan out then we can let him walk or package him up at the trade deadline next year. I would start him and Booz and bring Ed off the bench with R.Kelly or Julius next year.

Afflalo can start at the 2 or 1 or 3 and we can move price or wes to the bench. Afflalo is from LA so he knows what it means to don the P & G as a player (he prolly grew up a laker fan). He can guard 1-3 effectively, I would really like to see him play PG's on that pick and roll. I think he is the type to body up the big on the roll off of the pick. Afflalo also can knock down shots consistently and doesn't need the ball in his hands to do so...which allows for a facillitator by committee approach, considerably so when J.Randle gets back and is able to bring the ball up the court and set the offense.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#94 » by Kilroy » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:40 pm

McGee is a numbskull... And I think there are better options out there. But if we strike out on guys like Gasol, Cousins, Hibbert, etc, I'm intrigued by the idea of pairing him with Randle a'la Griffin/DAJ...

I have no problem with that package from a Lakers perspective, I just doubt that interests Den a whole lot.
EdXDavis21
Banned User
And1: 138

Post#95 » by EdXDavis21 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:17 pm

IMO.... Hibbert is more of a possibility then McGee.... you can probably get Hibbert if you add a 1st round pick the Lakers got from Houston...
simon24
Rookie
And1: 199

Post#96 » by simon24 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:51 pm

Maybe the Lakers could trade Hill to BOS to get one of their multiple future 1st round picks. I believe BOS needs a shot blocker.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#97 » by Pointgod » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:38 am

Kilroy wrote:
Pointgod wrote:

Actually, this is pretty much the definition of a hindsight is 20-20 situation... And revisionist history, and probably a little wishful thinking...

The fact is, you have no idea what deals were actually out there for Pau or what those negotiations looked like, so basically, you're making **** up to suit your agenda... That's fine... We, as fans, do that all the time...

But at least be honest about it... It's a hindsight is 20 20 situation... Embrace it.

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-trade-rumors-team-wants-better-draft-pick-from-suns-for-gasol/2014/02/03/

I guess this was made up too. It doesn't take much effort to do a google search to find out what was going on with Gasol at the deadline. It's one thing to not agree with the price that Gasol would be moved for, but don't accuse me of making things up just because you don't disagree. I'm a realist and I don't believe that the front office farts sunshine and rainbows. They've made a lot of mistakes and I believe that they should learn from where they've gone wrong and also do what other front offices have done to field competitive teams.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#98 » by Kilroy » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:04 am

How do you argue with someone who has no concept of what the word "rumor" means?

Answer: You don't.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#99 » by Sofa King » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:30 am

simon24 wrote:Maybe the Lakers could trade Hill to BOS to get one of their multiple future 1st round picks. I believe BOS needs a shot blocker.

So why would BOS even want Hill. :lol:
jackwindham
Sixth Man
And1: 732

Post#100 » by jackwindham » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:36 pm

Yeah, I don't see Boston picking up that phone to make that Hill trade anytime soon. They're going to use those draft picks.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers