ImageImageImageImageImage

My Opinion: Kobe will retire end of this season

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Re: My Opinion: Kobe will retire end of this season 

Post#21 » by Jajwanda » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Take a look at LA's numbers when a sound lineup like Lin-Ellington-Young-Boozer-Sacre is on the floor. None of those players are world beaters yet they're plus 20. The Laker offense is badly flawed and too large. Johnson plays better as a backup 4. Clarkson is a decent backup 2. The entire team needs a restructuring.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#22 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:42 pm

Kobe Unsure If Lakers Adding Superstar In 2016 Would Factor In Decision On Retirement
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/23 ... Retirement

Kobe Bryant has been widely expected to retire when his current contract expires in 2016, but he was asked if the Los Angeles Lakers adding Kevin Durant or any other superstar player may cause him to reconsider.

"I don't know. Maybe," Bryant said. "But it's really my call, man. If I want to play, I'll play. If I don't, I don't. If I don't want to play anymore and go through the process of getting my body ready day in and day out, I'm not going to play."
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#23 » by Jedi32 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:34 pm

drivewayball wrote:
ChokeFasncists wrote:We just need Lin to play better consistently to help shoulder some of the load from Kobe. Kobe is still very good IMO, he just can't be expected to do everything and play so many minutes.

The only person that expects Kobe to do everything, unfortunately, is Kobe.

Another bs realgm narrative.
ChokeFasncists
RealGM
And1: 1,501

Post#24 » by ChokeFasncists » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:41 pm

Jajwanda wrote: Lin-Ellington-Young-Boozer-Sacre

Yes, and sometimes one could put Kobe for Young and Davis for Sacre that'd be the best lineup IMO.
MorbidHEAT wrote:My dislike for Lin started during Linsanity. It was absurd. It's probably irrational dislike at this point, but man he gets on my nerves. He's been tearing us up though.
Thanks for the honesty.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#25 » by Mamba Venom » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:37 pm

Kobe needs to play with Randle. If we had young talent (future all-star talent) Kobe would look 4 years younger.

Scott should not play Kobe at point. Phil Jackson didn't want Kobe to take the ball up court in 2010-2011 to prevent wear and tear and fatigue. That was 4 years ago before 2 major injuries. Scott like D'Antonie is running Kobe into the ground. The problem isn't Kobe. The problem is the role Lakers coaches keep putting him in. Whether its 48 mins a night guarding Westbrook, Kyrie, CP3 (playing more than young players do) or having to play point/SG it is he wrong role. It leads to fatigue wear and tear and injury.

Kobe deserves batter. Kobe deserves a PG at this stage of his career that can set the table. I don't like Rondo but for the price that was an amazing pick up by the Mavs. Kobe in the right system would look like a beast. Kobe in this system is hard to watch.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Tonyism74
Starter
And1: 17

Post#26 » by Tonyism74 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:17 pm

drivewayball wrote:Kobe doesn't need to retire from the game; he needs to retire the ridiculous, contested, off balance jump shots he takes. A bad shot kills team morale, regardless of who takes it. He needs to focus on what he can still do well, not on what he can no longer do.

I've read so many articles recently about how bad Kobe is doing. Earlier in the season, it was because he had to carry the load, now it seems more like sports writers are saying what they wanted to for a very long time...Kobe needs to stop being a damn ball hog.
Yes, im posting all over again!
Tonyism74
Starter

Post#27 » by Tonyism74 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:20 pm

ChokeFasncists wrote:We just need Lin to play better consistently to help shoulder some of the load from Kobe. Kobe is still very good IMO, he just can't be expected to do everything and play so many minutes.

Everyone else needs to step up too, including Kobe. I swear, he ball hogs more than Iverson, such a shame cause he is an extremely good passer.
Tonyism74
Starter

Post#28 » by Tonyism74 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:23 pm

Mamba Venom wrote:Kobe needs to play with Randle. If we had young talent (future all-star talent) Kobe would look 4 years younger.

Scott should not play Kobe at point. Phil Jackson didn't want Kobe to take the ball up court in 2010-2011 to prevent wear and tear and fatigue. That was 4 years ago before 2 major injuries. Scott like D'Antonie is running Kobe into the ground. The problem isn't Kobe. The problem is the role Lakers coaches keep putting him in. Whether its 48 mins a night guarding Westbrook, Kyrie, CP3 (playing more than young players do) or having to play point/SG it is he wrong role. It leads to fatigue wear and tear and injury.

Kobe deserves batter. Kobe deserves a PG at this stage of his career that can set the table. I don't like Rondo but for the price that was an amazing pick up by the Mavs. Kobe in the right system would look like a beast. Kobe in this system is hard to watch.

There are two types of posters here on these forums. Kobe Lovers, and Lakers Lovers. Laker's Lovers have no problem saying that Kobe is a problem. Kobe Lovers have no problem saying the team is a problem.

There is truth in between...but for die hard Laker fans...yes, I will get flamed, we all know what it is. Kobe needs to modify his game to gain maximum team utility. Sports writers and analysts agree...Kobe is just jacking up the shots and it aint helping anyone, not even Kobe.
Tonyism74
Starter

Post#29 » by Tonyism74 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:27 pm

Slava wrote:Dirk was putting similar numbers for the first 20 games or so after his comeback from a serious leg injury. The difference is that he was willing to step back and pick his spots and if Kobe could swallow a bit of his pride he can do that too. That Lin - Ellington - Boozer unit is working so well that Kobe can afford to play as a decoy and still get his but he shouldn't be exerting the same effort and usage at this point in his career.

If he stays like this and cannot mentally step back, then retirement at the end of the season is a real and valid option.

Great example. I fault Kobe more because not only can he pick his spots better than Dirk, he is a superior passer with many more weapons. He can be an influencer, but its his pride that is getting in the way. An ultimate winner does what needs to be done to win...be it more passng, better defense. Kobe is stubborn; he wants to influence the outcome of games by the quantity of shots.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#30 » by mcscotty » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:32 pm

Tonyism74 wrote:
Slava wrote:Dirk was putting similar numbers for the first 20 games or so after his comeback from a serious leg injury. The difference is that he was willing to step back and pick his spots and if Kobe could swallow a bit of his pride he can do that too. That Lin - Ellington - Boozer unit is working so well that Kobe can afford to play as a decoy and still get his but he shouldn't be exerting the same effort and usage at this point in his career.

If he stays like this and cannot mentally step back, then retirement at the end of the season is a real and valid option.

Great example. I fault Kobe more because not only can he pick his spots better than Dirk, he is a superior passer with many more weapons. He can be an influencer, but its his pride that is getting in the way. An ultimate winner does what needs to be done to win...be it more passng, better defense. Kobe is stubborn; he wants to influence the outcome of games by the quantity of shots.

Let's hope he has an epiphany over the holidays. Teammates and Byron have stepped it up. Will Kobe answer the call? Does he have enough left in the tank? The New Year will reveal all. Tune in, folks.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#31 » by Kilroy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:01 pm

Not sure the point of this thread... Kobe clearly has no intention of retiring before his final paycheck.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers