ImageImageImageImageImage

Jordan Clarkson

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

aaron_gray
Analyst
And1: 979

Re: Jordan Clarkson 

Post#41 » by aaron_gray » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:52 am

Against the Bulls, I really began noticing that when he comes around p/rs, he knows how to use his body to hold back his original defender to create the 2 on 1. If he can consistently make the right decision afterwards, then he'll be well on his way to becoming a nba point guard.

He missed a couple floaters today and a lot of them involved him driving left then shooting a floater with his right. If he can't make those kinds (Lebron is the king of those floaters), he should focus on trying to draw contact more when he goes left.

Also, what's up with him not passing late? Is it inexperience, increased defensive pressure or what, because he really struggled to start the offense in OT against Aaron Brooks.
TyCobb wrote:Embiid at peak value after reaching a new maturity level.
aaron_gray
Analyst

Post#42 » by aaron_gray » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:19 am

It's going to be interesting to see if Clarkson can squeeze into one of the all rookie teams. As of right now, he's on the outside looking in, but if he can sustain 10/3 the rest of the way then he's a lock for the 2nd team with sleeper potential for first.

As of right now, the first team is looking like: Elf Payton, KJ McDaniels, Wiggins, Noel and Nurkic. The 2nd team is a lot more blurry, with the only lock being Mirotic. Exum, Smart, Bogdanovic, Grant/Sampson, Lavine, Hairston all have a chance at it. Clarkson's chances are basically in the same lot as Johnny O'Bryant and Kyle Anderson right now, though the other 2 are trending downwards while Clarkson's stock is shooting through the roof.

Does he get any bonuses if he makes one of the all rookie teams? Does the team get a bonus from the league like in 2K?
aaron_gray
Analyst

Post#43 » by aaron_gray » Sun Feb 1, 2015 1:49 pm

NBCLA wrote:When asked about which guys he has been studying on film, Clarkson said he had been watching Chris Paul because the LA Clippers' point guard is one of the best in the business at changing and controlling his pace. Clarkson also said he had been studying old game footage of Nash, as the Canadian mastered changing speeds during his nearly two-decade long career.
Clarkson, however, has 1 inch on Nash and about 3 inches on Paul. In terms of speed, Clarkson's pace and natural athletic ability likely trumps either point guard. After making a tough jump shot in the second overtime period, Clarkson struck a gunslinger pose that was reminiscent of a point guard that Clarkson naturally matches on multiple levels: Russell Westbrook.
"I watch Russell a lot," Clarkson told NBCLA.com. "I watch him a lot. I take some stuff from his game, the way he's aggressive at all times."

Clarkson next GOAT confirmed
aaron_gray
Analyst

Post#44 » by aaron_gray » Mon Feb 2, 2015 8:45 am

He made some nice plays in the first quarter, though Lou Hibbert prevented him from collecting stats on a couple of those. On the negatives side, he lost his handles a couple times again, he dribbled aimlessly for 2-3 seconds waiting for his teammates to move and he got caught on screens trying to chase Calderon. Kept on dribbling aimlessly in the 2nd. He needs to learn how to transition immediately into the p/r after he catches the ball, or to pump fake and drive.

If anyone is watching or can watch the replay, check out the coast to coast drive by Clarkson in the 3rd quarter at the 4:12 mark. That's the kind of play that will take Clarkson to the next level. If he can consistently generate offense like that for the rest of the year, he's headed for one of the all-rookie team for sure.

I also want to talk about his rookie counterpart Langston, who lit up Lin in the first quarter (not such a big deal now a days, but whatever). The dude had Ellington's number tonight, and played some great defense on him. Mitch, call up Jamaal Franklin already!
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,186

Post#45 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 9:53 am

I told you guys Mitch n Co a while ago that they have been working on him. He may be the future, but like I said in the bulls game, he needs to beef up.
Bring back Defense
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#46 » by crazyeights » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:25 pm

He'll beef up in the off-season.
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,231

Post#47 » by EArl » Tue Feb 3, 2015 6:51 am

His jumper is a little wonky looking, but if it works, it works. He has pretty good control of his body and considering how small he is, he can take contact pretty well.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiR8Z6FMKkw[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqZVUR_jc2w[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irBdLP1SbKo[/youtube]
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#48 » by Laker_Kid » Tue Feb 3, 2015 9:26 am

what do you mean wonky? it looks fine to me. a bit too forward maybe. but i remember reading he already had a coach help him adjust his form.

sent from my LG-G2 using RealGM Forums mobile app
aaron_gray
Analyst

Post#49 » by aaron_gray » Tue Feb 3, 2015 9:50 am

Feel free to update exp #s as we go along
EArl
RealGM

Post#50 » by EArl » Thu Feb 5, 2015 3:57 am

Horrible game for Clarkson
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
EArl
RealGM

Post#51 » by EArl » Mon Feb 9, 2015 12:18 am

Clarkson had 20 Pts (6/14) 6 Reb, 4 ast, 3 stl. He can get to the line. I think this is a career high.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,186

Post#52 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 12:41 am

EArl wrote:Clarkson had 20 Pts (6/14) 6 Reb, 4 ast, 3 stl. He can get to the line. I think this is a career high.

And that's against the Cavs'

Who have Irving, James, Love.

He has potential

I can't wait to see how he goes with Randle and our draft picks next season :)
Bring back Defense
cashflo
Senior
And1: 130

Post#53 » by cashflo » Mon Feb 9, 2015 12:52 am

Bad move on th Wizards.. Selling the second pick and losing out on Clarkson!
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#54 » by Laker_Kid » Mon Feb 9, 2015 1:44 am

how does he rank now against this year's draft point guards?

sent from my LG-G2 using RealGM Forums mobile app
cashflo
Senior
And1: 130

Post#55 » by cashflo » Mon Feb 9, 2015 1:52 am

He is a true NBA player picked in the second round!
Steal!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#56 » by Kilroy » Mon Feb 9, 2015 4:08 am

If only our FO and ownership knew what they were doing.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#57 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Feb 9, 2015 4:55 am

I'm not that excited by Clarkson.

He is what I thought he'd be, a relentless, driving, scoring guard.

He's a bit of a hot-dog. I wonder how he'd play with two other offensive threats.

How effective would he be without the freedom to drive "balls-out" every time down the floor?

It's his defense that worries me the most. His defense is the reason I wouldn't have drafted him.

As it stands, Clarkson, much like Nick Young, is a one-trick pony. Clarkson's an exceptional driver and finisher ... just not sure if he can do anything else well.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#58 » by TyCobb » Mon Feb 9, 2015 5:12 am

ALL HAIL wrote:I'm not that excited by Clarkson.

He is what I thought he'd be, a relentless, driving, scoring guard.

He's a bit of a hot-dog. I wonder how he'd play with two other offensive threats.

How effective would he be without the freedom to drive "balls-out" every time down the floor?

It's his defense that worries me the most. His defense is the reason I wouldn't have drafted him.

As it stands, Clarkson, much like Nick Young, is a one-trick pony. Clarkson's an exceptional driver and finisher ... just not sure if he can do anything else well.

While this is true right now, Clarkson seems like a guy who will bust his ass in the offseason to round out his game. It's just gonna take time with him.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
EArl
RealGM

Post#59 » by EArl » Mon Feb 9, 2015 5:21 am

All hail I'm not sure what you're expecting of clarkson. I don't think anyone is saying that he will become an all star. I think he can be a starting guard in the league one day. He is obviously not a pass first guard. He can get to the line and score. His defense is actually not bad. He can keep up with some of the star PGs in the league. After all there is no pg in the league that can shut down another pg completely. As a second round pick that we paid money for he is a steal for us so far.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#60 » by Slava » Mon Feb 9, 2015 5:21 am

He looks limited right now but I haven't seen too many rookies with a semblance of such a round out game as well as a bit of drive and nasty streak like him. If I would bet on someone to do well, it'd be someone like him.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers