ImageImageImageImageImage

Current roster discussion

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Current roster discussion 

Post#1 » by Laker_Kid » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:16 am

I just find it interesting that each of our players in each position are quite similar to each other.

jlin vs jclark: score first pgs. strong drive in and finishers. jlin obviously already made his mark in the nba as an inconsistent starter or a mediocre backup. while jclark has more promise and is steadily improving.

weezy vs jabari: our spot up shooters. weezy has developed into more of an all around type player, while we havent seen a lot of jabari yet.

wes vs young: not very similar at all actually. except for being disappointing and inconsistent. i pray every day to hr basketball gods for butler or leonard or green.

hill vs booz vs kelly: we have randle of course. but these 3 seems to bring similar game...id desribe them as if theyre on a spectrum... hill has developed his mid range, but i still like him posting up better. rebounds better than the other two. booz is the eldest, might have to consider his age when thinking of bringing him back. can sink jumpshots, play the post, and even the occassional drive. but a big liability on defense. kelly havent had enough playing time in this position in my opinion. has farther range than both and can drive but doesnt have much post moves at all.

tarik vs ed: both are hustle players. and are both undersized. ed looks like a lite lite version of ibaka. very solid on defense and finishes well around the rim. tarik is still developing and i hope to see more of him to end the season.

sacre: dont even know where to put this guy. but he plays a lot like our pfs. he's our only true 7 footer but he doesnt play like it. it seems weird to me that he plays a bit soft. for a guy who was drafted last i think, he's shown some improvement... but i dunno if he gets resigned once his contract is up.

disappointments: lin and wes. these guys have been given so many opportunities to prove their worth and the expectations for them... but really havent lived up to it. wes is a lost cause he is what he is. and lin... im still hoping he can be starter material or a really good backup pg for us.

anyway, i really like them as role players next year. but i hope we dont overpay them. really cant wait to see how randle and our pick(s) would fit.

as the season comes to a close... who do you like keep? who has impressed you?

sent from my LG-G2 using RealGM Forums mobile app
davidwho76er
Banned User
And1: 14

Re: Current roster discussion 

Post#2 » by davidwho76er » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:23 am

I really think the Lakers brass are gonna bend over backwards for Kobe by trying to get the best tested Vet players that they can. So I really expect Mitch to put up their draft pick to see what player he can get. I mean yeah, getting a young player like Mudiay, Towns or Russell might be nice for the future. But none of them are gonna make a difference next season. Cause as is, even if Randle is healthy, and Kobe comes back, and say they draft a Mudiay, that team is still not gonna win more then 30 games Max.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#3 » by Slava » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:32 am

davidwho76er wrote:I really think the Lakers brass are gonna bend over backwards for Kobe by trying to get the best tested Vet players that they can. So I really expect Mitch to put up their draft pick to see what player he can get. I mean yeah, getting a young player like Mudiay, Towns or Russell might be nice for the future. But none of them are gonna make a difference next season. Cause as is, even if Randle is healthy, and Kobe comes back, and say they draft a Mudiay, that team is still not gonna win more then 30 games Max.

Jog on..

To jeopardize the next five or seven years, bring in old veterans that make a lot of money, just to win one more year, because that’s Kobe’s last year or could be his last year, I’m not sure that fits into doing it the right way.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/1881900/los-an ... s-unclear/
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
davidwho76er
Banned User

Post#4 » by davidwho76er » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:35 am

Slava wrote:
davidwho76er wrote:I really think the Lakers brass are gonna bend over backwards for Kobe by trying to get the best tested Vet players that they can. So I really expect Mitch to put up their draft pick to see what player he can get. I mean yeah, getting a young player like Mudiay, Towns or Russell might be nice for the future. But none of them are gonna make a difference next season. Cause as is, even if Randle is healthy, and Kobe comes back, and say they draft a Mudiay, that team is still not gonna win more then 30 games Max.

Jog on..

To jeopardize the next five or seven years, bring in old veterans that make a lot of money, just to win one more year, because that’s Kobe’s last year or could be his last year, I’m not sure that fits into doing it the right way.”

I guess we will see. But, the organization gave into Kobe by extending him to that ridiculous contract when Kobe was done physically, and not even a relevant NBA player anymore. So don't automatically discount them doing it either.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#5 » by Slava » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:37 am

davidwho76er wrote:
Slava wrote:

Jog on..

I guess we will see. But, the organization gave into Kobe by extending him to that ridiculous contract when Kobe was done physically, and not even a relevant NBA player anymore. So don't automatically discount them doing it either.

There's no convincing you is there?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
davidwho76er
Banned User

Post#6 » by davidwho76er » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:46 am

Slava wrote:
davidwho76er wrote:
Slava wrote:
Jog on..

Convincing me of what ? All I said was don't be surprised if it does happen. But, they won't just toss away a top-5 pick for nobody. All depends on who may be available. But don't say it won't happen cause you have no inside information. But my friend Eric Pincus does. And he has stated that it is a possibility. So to did 710 AM John Ireland.
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Re: Re: Current roster discussion 

Post#7 » by Marionettetc » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:08 am

davidwho76er wrote:
Slava wrote:
davidwho76er wrote:

Convincing me of what ? All I said was don't be surprised if it does happen. But, they won't just toss away a top-5 pick for nobody. All depends on who may be available. But don't say it won't happen cause you have no inside information. But my friend Eric Pincus does. And he has stated that it is a possibility. So to did 710 AM John Ireland.

What's your point exactly, and why are you even posting in Laker threads?
davidwho76er
Banned User

Re: Re: Current roster discussion 

Post#8 » by davidwho76er » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:16 am

Marionettetc wrote:
davidwho76er wrote:
Slava wrote:

My point is that this is a roster discussion thread, and I am talking about their roster.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Re: Re: Re: Current roster discussion 

Post#9 » by Laker_Kid » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:51 am

davidwho76er wrote:
Marionettetc wrote:
davidwho76er wrote:

My point is that this is a roster discussion thread, and I am talking about their roster.
i thought the word current was obvious enough. your posts fit the offseason thread better.

sent from my LG-G2 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Mamba24ever90
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by Mamba24ever90 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:02 am

I would like to see Clarkson, Ellington, Brown, Davis and Black retained to go along with Kobe and Randle. Everybody else can go for all I care. I hope we can get rid of young too!
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#11 » by dockingsched » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:03 am

davidwho76er wrote:

Kobe got that extension coming off of a resurgent season where he played 78 games and put up his most efficient season in 5 yrs with a elite PER of 23....so get outta here with the off the mark "not even a relevant NBA player anymore".

And categorizing the extension as if the Lakers "gave in" to kobe contradicts every report, public statement and insider scoop available on the topic.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
miggs
Lead Assistant
And1: 446

Post#12 » by miggs » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:47 am

Plus all reports said kobe didn't even get a chance to negotiate, this means the front office CLEARLY had that number for a reason and probably bet on the cap rising as it is expected to rise, which once it does, man the league is ****. I expect the Lakers to stop going after stars and begin mastering the art of balancing contracts to produce the best bang for the buck teams, contending for a title year after year.

My reasoning for this thought? Not Laker tradition, not Jim on a hot seat, or Mitch on a hot seat, or season ticket holders, instead I point to great bargain finds like Jodie Meeks, Jordan Hill, Wayne Ellington, and Ed Davis. Meeks went on to nab himself a solid contract and the same will happen for Ellington and Davis, both of whom were lottery picks who went into quick obscurity. I think the recent scouting of the team points to such a culture. No more will we depend on simply outbidding the competition, we will adopt a new way of thought. Either that or these meds are DYNO-MITE!
2014: Randle / Clarkson
2015: Russell / Nance
2016: Ingram / Zubac
2017: Top 3 Pick? :nod: Fultz, Ball or Bust
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#13 » by TylersLakers » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:59 am

Get Lin, Kelly off the team.

Keep one of Davis/Hill as long as the price is not ridiculous. If Boozer wants to stick around for a vet minimum deal, that would be okay. He's been solid and has excelled coming off the bench. For 15-20 minutes a night on a contending team, he could be a good rotational player.

Randle, Clarkson, Tarik stay for sure (unless a Durant or Westbrook becomes available).

I'd like Ellington and Wesley Johnson back. In games that Kobe will miss next year, Ellington is a good option to step up and get minutes. Did a really good job at that this season when he was starting games Kobe was resting.

Torn on Nick Young. Love watching him, love his attitude when it comes to being a Laker, but he needs to be better next season. With Kobe in the lineup, I think Young will be better (similar to when he returned from injury at the start of the season).

Add two first round picks, a major free agent, a couple under the radar type signings (Ex- Davis this season, Young last season), and let's give it a run next season and at the same time leave flexibility for 2016.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers