ImageImageImageImageImage

Going Forward:Kobe's Role

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Re: Going Forward:Kobe's Role 

Post#21 » by tugs » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:36 am

I see the point in playing Kobe at the 3. Offensively, he can go against anyone. The dilemma I'm thinking is defensively:

Do you play him against SGs of almost the same height and strength but could be more athletic and faster, especially the young ones?

Or

Let him guard bigger and possibly stronger SFs?

Wear and tear from quick guards or from all the pummeling from big wings?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#22 » by Kilroy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:41 am

Kobe isn't quick enough to defend many 2s anymore. He has to defend 3s now on the perimeter and get a bunch of help in the post.

Essentially, he either defends 3s now, or no one... Which is basically what he's done for the last 2 years.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#23 » by dockingsched » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:43 am

I don't think there's too many sf's that would overpower kobe with their size. Most big small forwards save for a few exceptions are playing PF now a days or at least play pf for a huge chunk of their minutes.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#24 » by tugs » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:53 am

Point taken. I was thinking about the Lebron's and Melo's when I thought about that.

Besides those two, I don't think there would be anyone giving Kobe a problem at the 3.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#25 » by ALL HAIL » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:45 am

dockingsched wrote:I don't think there's too many sf's that would overpower kobe with their size. Most big small forwards save for a few exceptions are playing PF now a days or at least play pf for a huge chunk of their minutes.

Most important is that whatever starting wing is acquired, that player must be able to effectively guard both SF and SG.

That way, the Lakers can successfully hide Kobe from the most unfavorable matchup on any given night. Atlanta does this as well by hiding Korver with Carroll, Sefolosha, and Bazemore, all guys who can guard SG and SF.

I'm a cheap bastard, so my preference for starting wing opposite Kobe (in order) would be Jared Dudley, PJ Tucker, and maybe even Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

Although there are other, more notable and ideal, free agents on the market as well, I'd have a hard time shelling out the money neccessary to snag one of Danny Green or DeMarre Carroll.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#26 » by kblo247 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:12 am

tugs wrote:Point taken. I was thinking about the Lebron's and Melo's when I thought about that.

Besides those two, I don't think there would be anyone giving Kobe a problem at the 3.

Durant by sheer height comes to mind
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#27 » by kblo247 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:16 am

If we can't get Lopez or Hibbert this summer, I'd be okay with the team opting to give Rondo Nash's old deal, pay a wing like Carol or even the injured Wes Matthews (who should return towards December) 9 mil per for 3 years, and give Ed the 5-6 mil left. I don't want to overpay Ed, but I'd take him back with rondo and a starting caliber wing. We would still have our picks (Mario/Muiday and RHJ) and then the room ex to throw at boozer while offering bouncy shot altering big like McGee a two year player option vet min deal

I much rather see la lure a talented big like Brook or Hibbert here while their stocks are slightly down from where people thought they would be years ago, but hey I can take a discounted rondo because of his exit in Dallas, a starting wing, and paying Ed the old mid level exemption to start at C.

Rondo / Clarkson / Brown
Kobe / Mario
Carol / Young / Hollis-Jefferson
Booz / Randle / Kelly
Ed / McGee / Black / Sacre

I wouldn't mind Randle and Clarkson forcing the others out the starting unit by playing great ball, but I do want to see them compete for the spot. They aren't guaranteed anything, and fisher, fox, and Horry had to do it before as well.
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#28 » by mcscotty » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:32 am

DEEP3CL wrote:I'm going to give mine bullet point style...

He needs to be moved to the 3, no if's and's or but's about it...this will reduce the wear and tear

Team needs to acquire a 20 point scorer as ALL HAIL alluded to...again reduces wear and tear of carrying a team

Needs to realize he has to let this talent develop, he can't interrupt that process

Would rather see him facilitate more next season, scoring won't be the problem...defense will be our main concern

In the end Kobe's role will revolve around a lot of scenarios, because if he plays well and we improve somewhat he may want another year. And that's a whole other story...

And a solid defender in the backcourt, to again, reduce wear and tear.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#29 » by Laker_Kid » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:39 am

agreed on most everything said. beem saying kobe at the 3 seems ideal. i think it maximizes him as a facilitator much better at that position and playing at the post. im sure he would still demand double teams.

with all the reducing wear and tear mentioned. i do feel kobe might consider resigning for a couple more years. granted rehab goes well and he isnt a time bomb ala oden waiting to happen.
John Long
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,026

Post#30 » by John Long » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:26 pm

Kobe will need to improve his 3 point shooting and hopefully he can play off the ball more. I wish he would take on the Paul Pierce role for this team next season.
"...things are never as good or as bad as they seem in the moment in time." - Kobe
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#31 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:01 am

kblo247 wrote:If we can't get Lopez or Hibbert this summer, I'd be okay with the team opting to give Rondo Nash's old deal, pay a wing like Carol or even the injured Wes Matthews (who should return towards December) 9 mil per for 3 years, and give Ed the 5-6 mil left. I don't want to overpay Ed, but I'd take him back with rondo and a starting caliber wing. We would still have our picks (Mario/Muiday and RHJ) and then the room ex to throw at boozer while offering bouncy shot altering big like McGee a two year player option vet min deal

I much rather see la lure a talented big like Brook or Hibbert here while their stocks are slightly down from where people thought they would be years ago, but hey I can take a discounted rondo because of his exit in Dallas, a starting wing, and paying Ed the old mid level exemption to start at C.

Rondo / Clarkson / Brown
Kobe / Mario
Carol / Young / Hollis-Jefferson
Booz / Randle / Kelly
Ed / McGee / Black / Sacre

I wouldn't mind Randle and Clarkson forcing the others out the starting unit by playing great ball, but I do want to see them compete for the spot. They aren't guaranteed anything, and fisher, fox, and Horry had to do it before as well.
I agree with a lot of this kblo, I'm starting to warm up to Lopez more than before, and Hibbert seems like he could be had seeing as the Pacers have already mentioned they're reducing his role. And I'd make this move especially if we don't land 1 or 2 in the lottery to draft Okafor or Towns, vet centers like Roy and Brook actually accelerates movement towards a playoff seed.

And weather guys here like it or not Rondo may very well end up with us because he seems more intent on making it happen than us actually having to pursue him against competition. But I'm okay with the Rondo situation if it happens, the media already trying to kill him off in the media and guys are even writing bad articles on him and why it would be a bad idea for the Lakers to sign him.

Not gonna get into line ups kblo because some of those guys you mentioned may not be here like Young in particular.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#32 » by crazyeights » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:03 pm

In his exit interview, IIRC, Byron said he has Kobe slated for SG for next year.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#33 » by Kilroy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:06 pm

crazyeights wrote:In his exit interview, IIRC, Byron said he has Kobe slated for SG for next year.

But he also said moving him to the 3 made a lot of sense and he would likely see minutes there.
I think he just wants to see where Kobe is in training camp before he makes the change.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#34 » by crazyeights » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Kilroy wrote:
crazyeights wrote:In his exit interview, IIRC, Byron said he has Kobe slated for SG for next year.

But he also said moving him to the 3 made a lot of sense and he would likely see minutes there.
I think he just wants to see where Kobe is in training camp before he makes the change.

I sometimes wonder if the reason Kobe hasn't been moved to SF (for the last few years now) is about legacy or All-Stars or something....It seems like such an obvious way to preserve his legs and better utilize him, yet year after year it doesn't happen. He said Kobe can play SF and that he can also play PG too.

I hope we nab the great wing defender we've been sorely missing to pair next to him.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#35 » by Kilroy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:24 pm

I think it's pride... And team mates... There were players better suited to defend 3s previous years and we had no one to defend really ANY guard... Now with Clarkson able to defend most 1s and 2s, I think we might be free to slide Kobe over.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,870

Post#36 » by LakersLegacy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:55 pm

It's strange that recent coaches are asking Kobe to change positions, guard PGs, etc.

I hope that we can field a team that let Kobe be Kobe. Do what he is best at.
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#37 » by Jajwanda » Sat May 9, 2015 7:54 pm

Kobe has always done that. Iverson...Artest...Facilitating in 01...They seem pretty set on getting a true future SF and I think it'll be Winslow. I'm not sure what happens with Nick Young. For now I think he stays as Kobe is literally just a year away from retirement. Kobe will play both spots next year.

The better question is who becomes the backup PG? They may decide to draft someone for that spot at 27.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#38 » by ALL HAIL » Mon Nov 2, 2015 10:53 am

Because you have to start Kobe (out of respect), what is the best offensive role for him that would effect the team in a positive way?

Even though his handle has looked really shaky, I still like him in an "organizor" role.

Tell him to go out there and get 7-8 assists in 24 minutes.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#39 » by Spens1 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 10:57 am

ALL HAIL wrote:Because you have to start Kobe (out of respect), what is the best offensive role for him that would effect the team in a positive way?

Even though his handle has looked really shaky, I still like him in an "organizor" role.

Tell him to go out there and get 7-8 assists in 24 minutes.

not necessarily, i mean yeah its kobe, but he's 37 years old, he isn't half the player he was from even 2-3 years ago.

do agree about that organiser role, the lakers have always excelled when he has passed it off more
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,187

Post#40 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Nov 2, 2015 12:08 pm

I would like to see him as future head coach - his IQ for B-ball is just insane
Bring back Defense

Return to Los Angeles Lakers