Butler wants to be a Laker

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Re: Butler wants to be a Laker 

Post#21 » by Jakay » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:48 am

Did this last CBA change some of the rules concerning qualifying offers? They seem slightly different to me for some reason, but I'm not sure which part.

Maybe it's just the part where he has two different qualifying offers from the Bulls, which you don't see often. idk
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#22 » by john248 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:59 am

dockingsched already gave info about trading players on the qualifying offer. Butler would have veto power. No different than when Nick Young gave the Wizards his approval to trade him to the Clippers.
The Last Word
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#23 » by dockingsched » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Jakay wrote:Did this last CBA change some of the rules concerning qualifying offers? They seem slightly different to me for some reason, but I'm not sure which part.

Maybe it's just the part where he has two different qualifying offers from the Bulls, which you don't see often. idk

Nothing changed. The weird situation with Butler is that when a team is willing to offer you a 5 year max qualifying offer, historically there's no need for shenanigans, you're getting the best offer you can so you sign your max extension.

With Butler though, aside from a reportedly real desire to leave, the drastic cap jump next yr makes a shorter contract, in his case a one year deal, better than more guaranteed money.

Kind of a perfect storm that made the Bulls feel it necessary to extend the max qualifying offer instead of just extending the offer and having him sign it with open arms as most max offers are usually treated.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
mcscotty
Rookie
And1: 486

Post#24 » by mcscotty » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:01 pm

Don't see it happening this season. Our only option is a sign and trade, which would drain us of talent. Better to focus on Carroll.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#25 » by Jakay » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:27 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Jakay wrote:Did this last CBA change some of the rules concerning qualifying offers? They seem slightly different to me for some reason, but I'm not sure which part.

Nothing changed. The weird situation with Butler is that when a team is willing to offer you a 5 year max qualifying offer, historically there's no need for shenanigans, you're getting the best offer you can so you sign your max extension.

With Butler though, aside from a reportedly real desire to leave, the drastic cap jump next yr makes a shorter contract, in his case a one year deal, better than more guaranteed money.

Kind of a perfect storm that made the Bulls feel it necessary to extend the max qualifying offer instead of just extending the offer and having him sign it with open arms as most max offers are usually treated.

Okay, so it's just the weird situation more than anything then. Cheers
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#26 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Well per woj (sorry don't know how to emberd tweets)....chi max offer has gotten butlers attention. Hes postponed all his meetings with la, dall, etc. Guess hes gona try get the 3yrs opt out in 2 route
BigBennett2013
Junior
And1: 246

Butler wants to be a Laker 

Post#27 » by BigBennett2013 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:19 pm

Lakers are leverage for most free agents
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#28 » by PKABOOICU » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Just the brand name of the Lakers is getting guys huge contracts without the player even stepping into el segundo for an interview.
DadoTheRabbet
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#29 » by DadoTheRabbet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:39 pm

Nope, he doesn't.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2498181-jimmy-butler-latest-contract-news-rumors-speculation-on-bulls-stars-future

"Chris Broussard of ESPN reported Butler has cancelled his meetings with the Lakers, Celtics, Mavericks and 76ers, because he has decided to re-sign in Chicago. He noted all that was holding the guard back was deciding how long of a deal to sign."
If more people thought like I do, the world would be a much better place. :nod:
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#30 » by LApwnd » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:59 pm

DadoTheRabbet wrote:Nope, he doesn't.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2498181-jimmy-butler-latest-contract-news-rumors-speculation-on-bulls-stars-future

"Chris Broussard of ESPN reported Butler has cancelled his meetings with the Lakers, Celtics, Mavericks and 76ers, because he has decided to re-sign in Chicago. He noted all that was holding the guard back was deciding how long of a deal to sign."

This was the eventual outcome everyone had expected
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,505

Post#31 » by The Laker Kid » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:18 pm

Told my boss I'm interested in applying for a janitorial position at the Lakers' El Segundo facility... you know.. sweep the floor, take out the trash from Mitch's office, etc. My boss got scared and immediately gave me a managerial position and a 20K raise. True story.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
H00PDREAMS
Veteran
And1: 112

Post#32 » by H00PDREAMS » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:19 pm

Nice read guys. It was fun...

:sleep:
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#33 » by Kilroy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Good deal... Going to lock this to dissuade the trolls.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers