Re: Projected 57mil cap space next summer, most in NBA 

Post#21 » by Kobe System » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:41 am

No LeBron/Durant combo? I am serious.
LFAHFN22
Junior
And1: 770

Post#22 » by LFAHFN22 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:59 am

A lot of guys aren't accounting for the fact that Clarkson and Black expire this year, and I know we're going to retain one of those guys no matter what. Their holds won't matter, but extending them needs to be accounted for the 2017 off season hypotheticals.

I'm really hoping Kobe's ready to move on after this season, and even if he isn't, that the Lakers are.
oneseven
Sophomore
And1: 32

Post#23 » by oneseven » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:05 pm

Kobe's hold will be what, 30 mil?
Hibbert's hold, 20 mil?
Those two will have to addressed before LA gets all that space freed up.
thread killer wrote:Asterisk anything after 1989. The 4-team expansion ruined the NBA and all its history and records like steroids ruined baseball.

Amen brother
LFAHFN22
Junior
And1: 770

Post#24 » by LFAHFN22 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:24 pm

I don't think those two should be back unless we're punting cap space next year. I love Kobe but we need to move on sooner than later, and Hibbert is a fossil in today's NBA. His pace up and down the court is reminiscent of Kendrick Perkins. lol..
THE DAGGER
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#25 » by THE DAGGER » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:49 pm

The cap is about to significantly go up next year and the year after. But, can it significantly go the other way and drop? Like up to 100m plus then back down to 70m.

I don't think there was ever a case like that. And I hope not for some of these teams that go on spending sprees in the next couple of years and then have to pay heavy, heavy taxes if the cap drops.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#26 » by Jody Smokz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:00 pm

WAS healthy was barely better than OKC without KD and Russ for most of the 14-15 season. Let's not put Wall and Beal in the same conversation as Russ and Ibaka as well. OKC is lightyears ahead in talent, coaching and depth than WAS is. The only reason why this KD to DC story has been cooking more is b/c of Lebron going home has created this "going home" narrative for star players. With the cap jump there will be so many teams if not EVERY team in contention for a max contract. The Warriors are going to have space for a max contract in 2016 so there's that. Im sure if its about WINNING he'll stay in OKC or go to the Warriors.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#27 » by Jody Smokz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Another thing to consider, if its about winning a championship why would KD choose a lesser set of teammates to win? The main reason why OKC hasn't competed in the Finals the last 2-3 years is mostly due to injury. Russ in 2013, Ibaka missing in 2 key WCF games in 2014 and 2015 KD goes down. How does going to WAS escape that? I like Wall but he's nowhere near Westbrook's level of being able to dominate games.
oneseven
Sophomore

Post#28 » by oneseven » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:20 pm

LFAHFN22 wrote:I don't think those two should be back unless we're punting cap space next year. I love Kobe but we need to move on sooner than later, and Hibbert is a fossil in today's NBA. His pace up and down the court is reminiscent of Kendrick Perkins. lol..

Understood, but they'd have to renounce them. I don't see LA ever renouncing Kobe, there's too much gratitude (ie see 48 mil extension with no negotiation), so he'd have to retire or re-up on the cheap.
And if they renounce Hibbert they can't S&T him, so if he has a comeback year, they might be able to find some value coming back. It's a pickle.
thread killer wrote:Asterisk anything after 1989. The 4-team expansion ruined the NBA and all its history and records like steroids ruined baseball.

Amen brother
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#29 » by Jody Smokz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:34 pm

Renouncing Kobe's bird rights has nothing to do with respect or gratitude, only about how they can manipulate their cap space. Hopefully he retires after this season so that isn't even an issue.

oneseven wrote:
LFAHFN22 wrote:I don't think those two should be back unless we're punting cap space next year. I love Kobe but we need to move on sooner than later, and Hibbert is a fossil in today's NBA. His pace up and down the court is reminiscent of Kendrick Perkins. lol..

Understood, but they'd have to renounce them. I don't see LA ever renouncing Kobe, there's too much gratitude (ie see 48 mil extension with no negotiation), so he'd have to retire or re-up on the cheap.
And if they renounce Hibbert they can't S&T him, so if he has a comeback year, they might be able to find some value coming back. It's a pickle.
ak7
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,383

Post#30 » by ak7 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:42 pm

If you are an individual getting your hopes up that we will land Durant, prepare for colossal disappointment. He's not coming to LA. Absolutely zero reason for him to.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,687

Post#31 » by Pointgod » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:09 pm

Taking off the Lakers blinders for a minute, if Durant wants to win immediately why the hell would he sign with the Lakers who are at least 2 years away from being contenders even with Durant. The Thunder would still be a better option than us and heading East has better options, not to mention the fact that there are a lot of teams in the West as well. Logically if you think the Lakers are attractive then Philly, Detroit, Orlando should be on his list of destinations as well.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#32 » by john248 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:11 pm

I don't see Durant leaving OKC. Ther aren't a lot of players better than Westbrook. I don't see Washington even being in the discussion other than for the sake of click bait stories.
The Last Word
oneseven
Sophomore

Post#33 » by oneseven » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:52 pm

Washington will always be in the discussion because DC's his hometown and where his Mom lives (and you remember the mommy tears at the MVP ceremony, right).

Amen brother
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#34 » by Karmaloop » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:12 pm

Lakers24gm wrote:Looking at this has me thinking of next year and the Durant sweepstakes. Does Jordan returning to Clippers eliminate them from Durant. Looks that way to me. Teams that I think will have a legit chance of him will be
OKC
Washington
Lakers
Miami
Probaly in this order to. Big part in getting Durant will be if Russell and Randle develop this year.

I've been wondering this, but what's the big draw with Washington? To me, it's a poor man's situation of what he has in Oklahoma City. Obviously, Wall is a star, but Westbrook is better. Beal is better than whoever the Thunder roll out guard, but he's going to get more money from OKC than he is the Wizards. I get he's from D.C., but is there a huge draw to bring him home? I'd still put the odds of him staying in OKC at 98%, but I'm not sure Washington is really a significant player unless playing at home is a bigger deal than he makes it out to be.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,287

Post#35 » by Jedi32 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:35 pm

This year's free agent pool was weak imo. No real game changers especially for us. Now a healthy KD is someone who is worth the max plus with the extra money we could go after guys he would want on the team.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers