ImageImageImageImageImage

The Roster: Rotations, Minutes, What Next?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Roster: Rotations, Minutes, What Next? 

Post#41 » by Laker_Kid » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:10 am

tugs wrote:
Lakers415 wrote:
tugs wrote:
Oh that explains everything. Now that you mentioned it, I now understand where you're coming from.

Thank you for enlightening us. That was indeed a very intelligent response.

You already read my posts from other threads.... I can tell your not a good bball scout, if you cannot see what I see.

It's probably good to have those magical eyes but I'm good with mine. Or, try to take off those hate goggles of yours.

Better yet, answer my questions and this will be the last time I'll waste your time.
spare yourself the trouble. lol.
Lakers415
Banned User
And1: 14

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Roster: Rotations, Minutes, What Next? 

Post#42 » by Lakers415 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:10 am

tugs wrote:
Lakers415 wrote:
tugs wrote:
Oh that explains everything. Now that you mentioned it, I now understand where you're coming from.

Thank you for enlightening us. That was indeed a very intelligent response.

You already read my posts from other threads.... I can tell your not a good bball scout, if you cannot see what I see.

It's probably good to have those magical eyes but I'm good with mine. Or, try to take off those hate goggles of yours.

Better yet, answer my questions and this will be the last time I'll waste your time.

You said that last time ......... SO
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Roster: Rotations, Minutes, What Next? 

Post#43 » by tugs » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:20 am

Laker_Kid wrote:
tugs wrote:
Lakers415 wrote:

Yeah you're right. I thought hiding posts from specific posters is unnecessary but I now understand why the feature is there.

If the discussion went off topic, I sincerely apologize for trying to get explanations from someone that can't provide squat.

Please proceed.
Lakers415
Banned User

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Roster: Rotations, Minutes, What Next? 

Post#44 » by Lakers415 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:22 am

tugs wrote:
Laker_Kid wrote:
tugs wrote:

Yeah you're right. I thought hiding posts from specific posters is unnecessary but I now understand why the feature is there.

If the discussion went off topic, I sincerely apologize for trying to get explanations from someone that can't provide squat.

Please proceed.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlY88uNHZkc[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DttkZvVONBs[/youtube]
purelystellar00
Freshman
And1: 17

Re: The Roster: Rotations, Minutes, What Next? 

Post#45 » by purelystellar00 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:35 pm

I believe Norris Cole is still a free agent. Any thoughts?
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,185

Post#46 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:54 am

Yeh i'd love to know who our 3rd pg will be. As long as it's not Lin I'll be happy. Wish Price stayed I liked his hustle play
Bring back Defense
lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#47 » by lake_show » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:14 am

sniperelite wrote:
skullz wrote:I'm thinking a little different to most of you here so you'll probably all hate it.

One thing I was sick of seeing last year was teams Doubling up on Kobe and/or Young while one of them sits - so for this reason I feel that either Lou or Young should be starting SG and move Kobe to SF

As for Randle and Russell none of these guys have proven they can start and have done anything yet to deserve it, I say bench both and have them come in the 2nd unit and make the earn their rightful place as a starter.

C: Hibbert 25 min to start with and "again" make him earn for more
PF: Bass should start until Randle can prove himself as a starter if he does
SF: Kobe
SG: Either Young or Lou and the other can play with 2nd unit
PG: Clarkson for now and when Russell earns his starting roll then move hi to SG and have Russell in the PG

Edit: As for minutes no real clue

I mean absolutely no offense by what I'm about to say.

I think that's just plain dumb. What you said is correct, it's actually perfect for a team that's on the verge of winning a championship or on the verge of contending. For us, that's just ridiculous, you don't draft a player at #2 and have him come off the bench, you just don't do that.

I agree... We're not projected to make the playoffs next year. Our focus should either be winning, or development. Since winning now makes no sense for us it would be crazy for us not to focus on development.

I believe Russell needs to start. There's gonna be growing pains but if he's gonna be a player in this league it's better we figure it out now.
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
tugs
RealGM

Post#48 » by tugs » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:56 am

Not getting my hopes up but Young grabbed 13 boards in his latest game in the Drew league. I know competition is less talented compared to the NBA but hey, at least he's going after the ball. I don't think all those boards just fell in his hands.

Man I hope Swaggy gets.it now. I'm more optimistic on him than Wesley. I just think Nick is lazy to exert effort aside from his showtime dribbling and fade away Js.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Re: 

Post#49 » by TylersLakers » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:04 pm

tugs wrote:Not getting my hopes up but Young grabbed 13 boards in his latest game in the Drew league. I know competition is less talented compared to the NBA but hey, at least he's going after the ball. I don't think all those boards just fell in his hands.

Man I hope Swaggy gets.it now. I'm more optimistic on him than Wesley. I just think Nick is lazy to exert effort aside from his showtime dribbling and fade away Js.

He does look bigger in recent pictures and videos I've seen.
Kangaroohop
Junior
And1: 50

The Roster: Rotations, Minutes, What Next? 

Post#50 » by Kangaroohop » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:38 am

In my opinion, Clarkson is a proven scorer who can run the show..
With the lack of of that skill (pg) on this roster in Young & Lou I think Clarkson will off the bench,

PG - Russell
SG - Kobe or Jabari
SF - Kobe or Brown ( brown for size and defence purposes )
For your starting line up

BENCH
PG - Clarkson
SG - Lou
SF - Young
( I hope we don't see much of Lou & Young together though it's going to happen )

In the summer league Jabari played a bit of point which really wasn't fantastic however unless we sign a vet he will play spurts.

I'm 100% certain Bass will start Randle while a skilled player I feel he needs to earn his minutes behind a vet.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
tugs
RealGM

Post#51 » by tugs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:53 am

Agreed with Bass, though it's more of stability for me. Bass doesn't need the ball to be effective. He crashes the boards, sets picks, rolls, pops, no wasted movements. With already 3 ball dominant players in the starting unit with DRuss, JClark, and Kobe, Randleay have to change his play style.
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#52 » by dipstick » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:38 pm

How I see the minutes and rotation could go:

PG: Rus 6 Clarkson 6 Russell 12 Halftime Russell 8 Clarkson 8 Russell 8
SG: Clarkson 6 Williams 12 Clarkson 6 Halftime Clarkson 6 Williams 14 Clarkson 4
SF: Kobe 8 Young 12 Kobe 4 Halftime Kobe 6 Young 10 Kobe 8
PF: Randle 8 Bass 12 Randle 4 Halftime Randle 6 Bass 12 Randle 6
C: Hibbert 6 Black 10 Hibbert 8 Halftime Hibbert 6 Black 11Hibbert 7

Total minutes per player

Rus 34
JC 36
Kobe 26
Randle 24
Hibbert 27

Williams 26
Young 22
Bass 24
Black 21

An additional pg could make this a 10 man rotation and reducing rus and JC's minutes. BASS AND Randles minutea can go either way depending on who starts but unless Randle plays rwally well I dont think either will play more than 30mpg.
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#53 » by Laker_Kid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:58 pm

im fine with the roster as is. Id take veteran pg just for mentoring and spare minutes. i wouldnt mind another project c like seraphin if we somehow ditch upshaw. and maybe another sf like dorrell wright... just in case, ya know.
Lakers415
Banned User

Post#54 » by Lakers415 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:21 pm

ARe you guys dumb?

Kobe playing 26 mins? When that time comes, he will leave the lakers or play abroad. Kobe avg 35mpg last year.....

You guys must be misinformed. The end of last season, our guards got injured, personal problems, etc only reason why scott played JC so much. IF you think JC going to play 36mpg on a team with dlo, william, young and kobe, common sense is not your friend.

Even J brown was raking in a ton of mins last season.....(30mpg) and avg the same amount of points as JC did.
dipstick
Sixth Man

Post#55 » by dipstick » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:57 pm

Lakers415 wrote:ARe you guys dumb?

Kobe playing 26 mins? When that time comes, he will leave the lakers or play abroad. Kobe avg 35mpg last year.....

You guys must be misinformed. The end of last season, our guards got injured, personal problems, etc only reason why scott played JC so much. IF you think JC going to play 36mpg on a team with dlo, william, young and kobe, common sense is not your friend.

Even J brown was raking in a ton of mins last season.....(30mpg) and avg the same amount of points as JC did.

Is there really a need for name calling and insults? These are opinions that I hope you learn to respect.

I was also hoping to get Andre Miller to play backup pg, but it seems like that ship has sailed.

I predicted Kobe's minutes to be a little low and it will probably be higher. But Byron has acknowledged that Kobe played too much last year I expect his minutes to be more controlled. 30 is probably the more correct number but no way that he will end up playing 35 mpg again.

And Clarkson, yes a little too high probably will go down to around 32. But with your hatred for JC I don't think you'll accept that as well.
Lakers415
Banned User

Post#56 » by Lakers415 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:38 am

dipstick wrote:

Is there really a need for name calling and insults? These are opinions that I hope you learn to respect.

I was also hoping to get Andre Miller to play backup pg, but it seems like that ship has sailed.

I predicted Kobe's minutes to be a little low and it will probably be higher. But Byron has acknowledged that Kobe played too much last year I expect his minutes to be more controlled. 30 is probably the more correct number but no way that he will end up playing 35 mpg again.

And Clarkson, yes a little too high probably will go down to around 32. But with your hatred for JC I don't think you'll accept that as well.

You guys overrate jc on a season with zero meaning. I would bet no one read scouting reports on the lakers last season
dipstick
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by dipstick » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:51 am

Lakers415 wrote:
dipstick wrote:

You guys overrate jc on a season with zero meaning. I would bet no one read scouting reports on the lakers last season

Honestly, I was trying to be objective on Clarkson from the start of this offseason and had him as a long term 6th man and not really a starting pg or sg just because as you pointed out, he played well on a bad team. But my opinion on the rotation and the probability that he will start is based not from what he did last season but from what I am hearing from Mitch and Byron:

1. It has been repeatedly implied that Williams will come off the bench. (Scott even said that even Bass is coming off the bench)
2. Kobe shifting to SF. You can be sure that he isn't shifting to SF just because of Lou Williams. The Vitti article also mentioned Russell and Clarkson as 1&2 with Kobe at 3.
3. Mitch saying that Russell and Clarkson combo for long term.

To be totally objective, the pairing may or may not work, but it is a big probability that the season starts with that rotation. Whether it continues til the end of the season is unknown. This has nothing to do with me (or anyone else) overrating Clarkson, but from what Mitch and Byron has been implying. If the FO and coaching staff sees potential in these players, I'm more inclined to trust their opinions over anyone else's.

In the end, I'll agree with you that Clarkson still has to prove himself but being a good player on a bad team does not mean that he can't be a good player on a good team. Just means that he hasn't proven it yet. But the fact that Mitch has been praising Clarkson's good play on last year's team but dismissing Jabari Brown's means that they see something in JC that they probably don't see in Jabari Brown.
tugs
RealGM

Post#58 » by tugs » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:38 am

For the record, I'm optimistic that everything will pan out for both Russell and Clarkson. But I wouldn't be surprised either if one hits the Rookie Wall and the other goes on a Sophomore Slump. Same goes for Randle. This would entail a lot of patience for both the team and the whole fan base.

Kind of expecting a lot of "I told you so" threads coming up this season.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers