ImageImageImageImageImage

Wesley Johnson appreciation thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Wesley Johnson appreciation thread 

Post#1 » by RingsDontLie » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:25 pm

When we look back Wesley Johnson had shown signs and promise to be a great 3&D player. The only issue with Wesley Johnson ...he couldn't shoot the three, and he couldn't play D. I will miss his fadeaway shots, and off the dribble shots which never went in. Ok he had a few decent games I guess ain't gonna lie. Thanks Mr. Wesley Johnson, you helped get us D'Angelo Russel. Glad you went to the enemy as well :lol:

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Re: Wesley Johnson appreciation thread 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:15 pm

Not singling this thread out or the OP, there have been more and more like this lately...

But, I think we've lost our way a bit with the appreciation threads... I get what you're saying, but traditionally, the appreciation thread was a chance to let go of the frustration you may have had for the player and simply say thanks. I think it's a classy thing for us to do, even if the reality is the player in question may never see it.

So let's either do it and mean it, or just not do it. I don't think we need a sarcastic bash-fest for every mediocre player that moves on.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#3 » by Marionettetc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:16 pm

Not only what Kilroy said, but you blame management for keeping Wes around as long as they did. Wes signed the contract they gave him and I'm sure played his hardest, it's not like his game was an unknown quality. He's a talented yet inconsistent (I suspect mentally) player who was on vet minimum contracts.

And now that I'm writing this out and having to internally vocalize this, what did you even expect from a minimum player?
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#4 » by TylersLakers » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:06 pm

Totally agree with Kilroy. His time as a Laker will hardly be remembered as anything else but a yawn. Do we really need an appreciation thread for every Ed Davis, Wayne Ellington, or Kendall Marshall of the world?
5ertwenty
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#5 » by 5ertwenty » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:06 pm

His game was epitomised by fumbling passes and jacking up long 2's. He was a model of inconsistency. Hope that guy has a great career in Turkey or somewhere. Good riddance.
Jordan | Kobe | Kareem| Bird | Magic
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#6 » by Tee212 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:07 am

ehh we gave him alot of playing time and hoped for the best. his IQ and ball handling skills were garbo. he relied way to much on his athleticism and so did we as fans.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#7 » by Sofa King » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:09 am

A 3&D player who couldnt shoot the three and couldnt play D. I chuckled. :lol:
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Re: Re: Wesley Johnson appreciation thread 

Post#8 » by Lindecision » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:20 am

5ertwenty wrote:His game was epitomised by fumbling passes and jacking up long 2's. He was a model of inconsistency. Hope that guy has a great career in Turkey or somewhere. Good riddance.

Or across the hall.

We'll see what he can do with a lesser but more defined role on a contender.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Re: Re: Wesley Johnson appreciation thread 

Post#9 » by LApwnd » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:41 am

Lindecision wrote:
5ertwenty wrote:His game was epitomised by fumbling passes and jacking up long 2's. He was a model of inconsistency. Hope that guy has a great career in Turkey or somewhere. Good riddance.

Or across the hall.

He had a defined role here which was to be a 3/d guy, same as what clipps are expecting of him
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#10 » by Laker_Kid » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:22 am

good riddance.
Lindecision
Banned User
And1: 151

Re: Re: Re: Wesley Johnson appreciation thread 

Post#11 » by Lindecision » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:43 am

LApwnd wrote:
Lindecision wrote:

Or across the hall.

He had a defined role here which was to be a 3/d guy, same as what clipps are expecting of him

It wasn't as defined as it will be with us. For the Lakers it was heavy minutes versus starters and bench units. For the Clippers it'll be low minutes versus bench units.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#12 » by Slava » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:47 am

Dude has T-Mac's body in an ant sized head. There's no helping him. A player with his size, quickness and shooting stroke shouldn't be getting by on vet min contracts in the prime of his life. His decision making is ultimately horrible.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#13 » by Mirjalovic » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:59 am

he has talent, and sometimes show the flashed of it. I understand why Kahn drafted him at 4th.

but meh, he can't never capitalize his gift. Plus, he is the worst ball handler in NBA, probably all of the time in modern era.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#14 » by john248 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:12 am

Wes Johnson has had an unfortunate career where he was stuck on bad teams. If he had found his way onto a team with a good coach, he may have turned into a solid role player. But as it is, he isn't strongly skilled in any one area and is a poor decision maker with the same flaws in his game.

At 28, it's late to expect him to get any better from a skills perspective. He'll just have to stand somewhere behind the 3 point line and run in transition. But he's no good on defense with years of bad habits and never showing the awareness to be a good help defender and rotate. He may be able to correct this, maybe not.
The Last Word
SubZero
Junior
And1: 185

Post#15 » by SubZero » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:02 am

I'm about to make an appreciation thread for Laron Profit
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#16 » by Sofa King » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:24 am

lakesh0w wrote:I'm about to make an appreciation thread for Laron Profit

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0MWxgDi1sw[/youtube]
Laker_Kid
Starter
And1: 591

Post#17 » by Laker_Kid » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:17 pm

i just realized........kobe's appreciation thread is coming up soon................i hope one of the old timers here makes the thread.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,266

Post#18 » by Frank Dux » Sun Aug 2, 2015 5:08 am

What next, an appreciation thread for Tierre Brown and Shammond Williams?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers