ImageImageImageImageImage

Any Updates On Upshaw?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Lakers_Forever
Sophomore
And1: 27

Any Updates On Upshaw? 

Post#1 » by Lakers_Forever » Sat Aug 1, 2015 6:57 pm

This is the kid that got kicked out of two colleges for violating drug policy and the Lakers picked him up with a non-guaranteed contract. He's been playing in the summer league or did play, but I haven't heard anything other than he still needs work, but has tremendous potential and would have drafted high if not for getting the boot
Hank7
Junior
And1: 68

Re: Any Updates On Upshaw? 

Post#2 » by Hank7 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:42 pm

I read two-weeks ago that he was supposed to have met with Mitch in Las Vegas to sign a two-year deal with part of the 1st year being guaranteed. Nothing has been signed so far. His history of getting kicked out of two-programs is a concern but would I take a chance on him rather than have a guy like Sacre? .... yep. He reminds me of a taller and longer but younger Larry Sanders with his length and shot blocking ability.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#3 » by Sofa King » Sat Aug 1, 2015 11:53 pm

I was going to give you an update but Upshaw blocked it
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#4 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Aug 2, 2015 1:25 am

It's August, only thing these guys are doing is working out and chill'in with friends and family.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Spanish_Laker
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,010

Post#5 » by Spanish_Laker » Mon Aug 3, 2015 3:54 pm

Mitch is not very high on him, I think we will regret if we let him walk to another team.
Banned after 15 years in this forum for no reason. Farewell RealGM users
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,400

Post#6 » by Danny Darko » Mon Aug 3, 2015 7:11 pm

Spanish_Laker wrote:Mitch is not very high on him, I think we will regret if we let him walk to another team.

I wouldn't be so sure Mitch isn't just trying to set the market and keep him walking the line. I sense he might like him a lot more than he lets on.
Mamba Venom
RealGM
And1: 580

Post#7 » by Mamba Venom » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:42 am

I hope we don't lose him like the Pelicans lost Curry. He has huge upside. If we don't sign him we will regret it later.
Lakers are 22-3 in OT last 6 seasons:Kobe best OT closer!
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Wed Aug 5, 2015 4:38 pm

I'm confused by the love for Upshaw. I honestly haven't seen a whole lot from him at this point that would indicated he's the kind of prospect we might regret loosing in the future. Outside of a few blocks, I see a guy that's out of shape, slow and not very explosive.
I'd have to rely heavily on the FO to tell me what his upside is... And if they sign him, I guess that's my answer. I just don't understand how you guys, based on what you've seen so far, can say we'll regret not signing him.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#9 » by Marionettetc » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:29 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW-sC2RPZt4[/youtube]

In his defense Kilroy, his game shape is nothing a few months of busting his ass wouldn't fix. I personally thought his mobility was fine, it's obvious he was really out of shape during summer league but he has a defensive presence and is a legit 7 footer.

If he can stay off the rock and change his work habits he will be fine.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#10 » by TKainZero » Thu Aug 6, 2015 12:19 am

Kilroy wrote:I'm confused by the love for Upshaw. I honestly haven't seen a whole lot from him at this point that would indicated he's the kind of prospect we might regret loosing in the future. Outside of a few blocks, I see a guy that's out of shape, slow and not very explosive.
I'd have to rely heavily on the FO to tell me what his upside is... And if they sign him, I guess that's my answer. I just don't understand how you guys, based on what you've seen so far, can say we'll regret not signing him.

His upside is simple.
He is a center.
He can be a defensive shot blocker
He doesn't need to be focused on for offense

Has the potential to be a starter on a good team.
His Washington team was obliterated after he left. Washingtons defensive numbers went from one of the best in the nation, to one of the worst.

What gobert did for Utah last season, is what happen to the huskies in reverse

Lakers are hoping for a gobert type of defensive impact from upshaw.

I hope the lakers sign him, and I don't expect anything the first year, just he gets in shape, gets used to nba speed, and gets his life together and is happy, and learn something from hibbert
Then year 2 come in and make an impact

I view him as a 2year project, That can translate into a starting center with huge upside defensively

Nba trainer+life coach+dietician = succes for upshaw and the lakers
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#11 » by tugs » Thu Aug 6, 2015 3:03 am

The Gobert comparison is spot on. Impact wise that is,not the skillset. Gobert is miles more athletic than Upshaw so it would be the defensive presence.

Hey he has the midrange J. Probably another Hibbert.
Pinoy cchio
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#12 » by Pinoy cchio » Thu Aug 6, 2015 3:18 am

Upshaw reminds me of Mbenga, perhaps not as athletic.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#13 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 6, 2015 3:22 am

TKainZero wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I'm confused by the love for Upshaw. I honestly haven't seen a whole lot from him at this point that would indicated he's the kind of prospect we might regret loosing in the future. Outside of a few blocks, I see a guy that's out of shape, slow and not very explosive.

His upside is simple.
He is a center.

His Washington team was obliterated after he left. Washingtons defensive numbers went from one of the best in the nation, to one of the worst.

I hope the lakers sign him, and I don't expect anything the first year, just he gets in shape, gets used to nba speed, and gets his life together and is happy, and learn something from hibbert

I view him as a 2year project, That can translate into a starting center with huge upside defensively

All this supposes that he's actually shown that he has the potential to have this kind of impact. I'm saying I haven't seen it yet.
The FO could let him walk today, and I'd have absolutely no problem with that decision.

Right now, you could be describing any 7'er out of college. Like I said, outside of a few blocks, Upshaw really hasn't distinguished himself positively from any other 7'er.
TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Post#14 » by TKainZero » Thu Aug 6, 2015 9:43 am

Kilroy wrote:
TKainZero wrote:

His upside is simple.
He is a center.

All this supposes that he's actually shown that he has the potential to have this kind of impact. I'm saying I haven't seen it yet.
The FO could let him walk today, and I'd have absolutely no problem with that decision.

Right now, you could be describing any 7'er out of college. Like I said, outside of a few blocks, Upshaw really hasn't distinguished himself positively from any other 7'er.

Not any 7 foot center leads the nation in blocks by a landslide

Upshaw has an about 10% chance to be special

He obviosusly hasn't proved it at a NBA level, but in college he was a defensive force and difference maker
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#15 » by TyCobb » Thu Aug 6, 2015 12:28 pm

He played 19 games last year, and only 7 against P12 schools. He didnt even play enough games to qualify for any statistical leaderboards. All he did was beat up on schools like San Jose State, Grambling State, and South Carolina State.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Sofa King
RealGM
And1: 3,034

Post#16 » by Sofa King » Thu Aug 6, 2015 12:45 pm

TyCobb wrote:He played 19 games last year, and only 7 against P12 schools. He didnt even play enough games to qualify for any statistical leaderboards. All he did was beat up on schools like San Jose State, Grambling State, and South Carolina State.

And yet he's on pace to play more games than Embiid. :nod:
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#17 » by ArC_man » Thu Aug 6, 2015 4:17 pm

Tsk tsk
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/629063593607049216[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/629066511521460224[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/629066622095921152[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/629066717025599492[/tweet]
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#18 » by Slava » Thu Aug 6, 2015 4:36 pm

Uh oh!
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#19 » by Mirjalovic » Thu Aug 6, 2015 4:50 pm

what happen in Summer League ? Interesting.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#20 » by Kilroy » Thu Aug 6, 2015 6:48 pm

ArC_man wrote:Tsk tsk
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/629063593607049216[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/629066511521460224[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/629066622095921152[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/629066717025599492[/tweet]

I guess the guys that were bashing me about being too negative about Upshaw were totally right... I clearly drove him to relapse.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers