ImageImageImageImageImage

Training Camp roster/cuts. Update pg 8: Jabari waived MWP makes team

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Re: Training Camp roster/cuts. Update pg 3: Frazier/Upshaw cut 

Post#81 » by larry14r » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:48 am

TylersLakers wrote:After learning the news through a text notification of Michael Frazier's release, I began drinking.

Really hope he doesn't eventually latch with another team and lead the league in three point shooting and give great effort on D. Because that's what he'll do.

One thing about all these coaches we've had since Phil.. they don't understand a Championship formula. Michael Frazier is the type of player that can develop into a legit Championship role player. On a championship and contending team, you need a guy who can guard both positions and knock down threes. You need a guy who doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective and can play off a superstar.

Huge mistake.

And btw, compounding that by keeping Robert Sacre. My god.

Chill out no team will pick them up so they will be back in our d league team.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#82 » by Mirjalovic » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:05 am

It's not fair, Frazier and Upshaw looks better on the court than Sacre and Jabari.

say anything about Upshaw, but in limited minutes he already show flashes.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#83 » by Kilroy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:17 am

On the one hand I think cutting Upshaw is a shame because I think he could have learned a lot from Hibbert...

That said, I have no idea what guys saying Upshaw over Sacre are seeing in Upshaw or Sacre for that matter to justify that stance... Is it just perceived potential? Because Sacre is just more solid than Upshaw right now... At best, Upshaw is a 3rd string big right now... In that role however, I'd much rather have the more stable Sacre.

So if we had unlimited space, I'd say keep upshaw as a practice body to learn from Hibbert, but with MWP etc, we already have a few of those. So it's an understandable move.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#84 » by dipstick » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:20 am

larry14r wrote:Guys we have learn that guaranteed contracts always win out in the end.

This may be true. But its not as if Upshaw showed that he will make an immediate impact. The Lakers are taking a calculated risk that no team will pick him up to add to their regular season roster. Even if someone did, there will still be a question of whether any team will retain him for the whole season.

As for Frazier, I liked him too, but still didn't stand out. He will clear waivers and will probably play with the D-Fenders.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#85 » by tugs » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:23 am

Interesting. I'm smelling an FA signing.
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#86 » by moonpie » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:34 am

More like a trade. Need to figure out a way to get the Head of the Snake, Ronnie Price, back in Byron's domain.
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#87 » by dipstick » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:38 am

Kilroy wrote:
That said, I have no idea what guys saying Upshaw over Sacre are seeing in Upshaw or Sacre for that matter to justify that stance... Is it just perceived potential? Because Sacre is just more solid than Upshaw right now... At best, Upshaw is a 3rd string big right now... In that role however, I'd much rather have the more stable Sacre.

This is all about media hype. Upshaw had been high profile since the draft and probably even before that. The prospect of getting a supposed first round talent as an undrafted rookie has everyone swooning even if he didn't perform that well in pre-season or summer league and we have no idea what happened in practices.

tugs wrote:Interesting. I'm smelling an FA signing.

Wondering what comment you are referencing that from? Not saying it won't happen, but difficult considering that we don't have the roster space.
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#88 » by kblo247 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:14 am

Kilroy wrote:On the one hand I think cutting Upshaw is a shame because I think he could have learned a lot from Hibbert...

So if we had unlimited space, I'd say keep upshaw as a practice body to learn from Hibbert, but with MWP etc, we already have a few of those. So it's an understandable move.

Taking the preseason into account id cut Jabari, Sacre, and Holmes as well ... That leaves us with a roster of 14 and a pot open all year for if someone gets bought out which matter since we still have the room exception to use. If we are competing midway thru year use the last spot and room exception to buy a guy like josh smith

I would send Nance and Anthony to the defenders most the year. I would then use our ability to assign 4 of our cuts from the preseason to the defenders as long as they clear waivers to assign Frazier, Holmes, Upshaw, and Brown to the team to form a six man group with Anthony and Nance which can be monitored in el Segundo

That would leave us with a roster Of 12 active guys who can play different spots
Pg - Russell, Huertas, Lou, Clarkson
Sg - Clarkson, Lou, Kobe, Russell, Nick
Sf - Kobe, Nick, Metta
Pf - Randle, Bass, Kelly, Metta
C - Hibber, Bass, Black
larry14r
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#89 » by larry14r » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:09 am

kblo247 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:On the one hand I think cutting Upshaw is a shame because I think he could have learned a lot from Hibbert...

Taking the preseason into account id cut Jabari, Sacre, and Holmes as well ... That leaves us with a roster of 14 and a pot open all year for if someone gets bought out which matter since we still have the room exception to use. If we are competing midway thru year use the last spot and room exception to buy a guy like josh smith

I would send Nance and Anthony to the defenders most the year. I would then use our ability to assign 4 of our cuts from the preseason to the defenders as long as they clear waivers to assign Frazier, Holmes, Upshaw, and Brown to the team to form a six man group with Anthony and Nance which can be monitored in el Segundo

That would leave us with a roster Of 12 active guys who can play different spots
Pg - Russell, Huertas, Lou, Clarkson
Sg - Clarkson, Lou, Kobe, Russell, Nick
Sf - Kobe, Nick, Metta
Pf - Randle, Bass, Kelly, Metta
C - Hibber, Bass, Black

The thing is Sacre won't be cut now because we will be even thinner at center.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#90 » by BEazy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:11 am

Sacre survives...unbelievable...

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
Pinoy cchio
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#91 » by Pinoy cchio » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:30 am

Upshaw has the length and quicker feet than Sacre. But he is very raw, will take a few years to see his potential.like I said before, the player he reminds me is Mbenga, though Mbenga was stronger and more athletic. Still hope he clears the waivers and Lakers will be able to develop him.

Center ? Lakers has Tariq Black to backup Roy. From a financial standpoint, it made a lot of sense to keep Sacre. Upshaw had shown nothing for the Lakers to absorb the $$$$ invested on Sacre.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,407

Post#92 » by Danny Darko » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:26 am

i'm not that passionate about the cut, I think it's ok. I think it says:
Hibbert is probably a difference maker on D in a way we want him to know we like him. He's a defensive captain and leader on D beyond his individual defensive aptitude. Upshaw was not the kind of guy you sacrifice a known commodity like Hibbert for and we know Roy's big issue is insecurity or mental whatever.

I've seen enough of Hibbert ot know he will make the young guys develop defensively in a way they would not without an on court presence who holds them accountable, can also tell them why and how, and communicate in live time to get them where they need to be. I would not sacrifice that for what Upshaw might be in 3 years. Especially when he might just make it to the D league for us yet... *waits for understated slander article to say he's done in the media...*

Side note I think Hibbert will fall down in so many wtf ways this year I will wonder if he's part fainting goat.

Hank7
Junior
And1: 68

Re: Training Camp roster/bubble players 

Post#93 » by Hank7 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:40 am

FrozenIceCubes wrote:Choosing Sacre over Upsaw is a head scratcher Upsaw looked really mobile in the game yesterday... I don't understand this since we need a back up C who can anchor...

Sacre .... :banghead:
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#94 » by tugs » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:46 am

Sacre will beast this year, book it.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#95 » by Spens1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:22 am

how does sacre stay on our squad year after year, the guy might be the worst player in the nba today

Upshaw right now is miles ahead of him
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#96 » by crazyeights » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:47 am

Not shocked we kept Sacre. The fact we gave him the extension we did when we did goes to show what kind of end of the bench presence he must be.

From all accounts he is a great team dude, and you honestly need that from a 15th man. As much as I'm begrudgingly accepting the decision to not take the guaranteed roll of the dice on Upshaw, I get it.

It's why we signed him to the partial guarantee, to buy some loyalty to lure him to the D-Fenders. Guys are acting like it's a sure thing. The fact that he wasn't drafted in the late 2nd tells you enough.

Hope he clears wavers, and if he does, I hope he has a great season on the D-Fenders. I do think we're on a slightly excelerated timeline than Upshaw is currently, and really roster spots are precious. We have a lot of potential to mine already on this roster with Russell/A. Brown/Nance looking raw. Even Randle and Clarkson.

Gotta show them how to win. Surround them with the proper pieces. Look at that article about Embiid's rehab or Okafor's slow start in the pre-season. Or the decades of Clipper's high draft picks and none of it coming to fruition until they made significant organizational changes. Fact is, the Lakers still have an incredible basketball infrastructure that most teams simply don't have. As much as I wanted them to take the gamble on the future, I trust Mitch/Jim had their reasons.
Bill Lightbeer
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#97 » by Bill Lightbeer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:27 am

Upshaw is a total question mark -and that's totally irrelevant.

We all know what Sacre's ceiling is. Muggsy Bogues has to crawl on his hands and knees just to fit into the room. Sacre is a bona fide scrub. He has no business being in the league.

Good teams always have 1 or 2 guys that are underpaid contributors as a result of beginning their careers as projects. Upshaw had the potential to be that guy for the Lakers. For a team that has literally no shot of being a contender for at least 24 months (and a lot longer, in my personal estimation), Upshaw over Sacre is an absolute no-brainer.

Tommy Boy Buss does it again.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#98 » by crazyeights » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:47 pm

Guys are acting like he's already been claimed and signed long-term elsewhere.
Bill Lightbeer
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#99 » by Bill Lightbeer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:55 pm

crazyeights wrote:Guys are acting like he's already been claimed and signed long-term elsewhere.

But why is a rebuilding team taking the risk?
gts1
Starter
And1: 1,232

Post#100 » by gts1 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:37 pm

as mentioned before only 100k of Holmes Salary is guaranteed which means he's as good gone if the Lakers don't see him as a piece for the future.

Jabari Brown I can see being let go, MWP will probably stick
Wife: "you haven't heard a single thing I said"
Me: that's a funny way to start a conversation...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers