General Manager
And1: 2,684

Lakers sign Marcelinho Huertes 

Post#1 » by moonpie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:55 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/638453533973585920[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/638455416448503808[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SynergySST/status/638455700017029120[/tweet]

Articles on Huertes:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/brazilian-point-guard-marcelo-huertas-planning-move-to-nba-204453713.html?nf=1

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2445361-everything-you-need-to-know-about-nba-bound-brazilian-marcelo-huertas
Marionettetc
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Re: Lakers sign Marcelo Huertes 

Post#2 » by Marionettetc » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:02 pm

It looks like we are going out of our way to get guys who shoot high percentages now.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#3 » by Slava » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:02 pm

32 year old Brazilian moving to the NBA at this point in his career, I wonder if we gave him the MLE and a guaranteed roster spot to convince him to make the move.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 pm

At that type of money easily a good signing, he is a seasoned vet, can play both up-tempo and press, good touch, good shooter, flashy passer, can play off the ball, he is not a good defender and he is past his prime, but you needed a PG and he will help.
He is a terrific pick&roll player, can create for others, pop and shoot, go inside, he will be a quality offensive player from the bench.
Likely going to see a ton of minutes I guess,

Clarkson-Huertas
Williams/Russell
Bryant-Young
Bass/Randle
Hibbert-Black/Sacre

At least you got yourselves a rotation.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#5 » by BarbaGrizz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:18 pm

Probably the best PG outside NBA, great sign for the Lakers.
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
No-Man
RealGM

Post#6 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:22 pm

BarbaGrizz wrote:Probably the best PG outside NBA, great sign for the Lakers.

Well he is not even close to that nowadays, maybe 2-3 years ago, at least Llull (best player outside of the NBA by a mile), Teodosic, Rodríguez, Koponen and Calathes are clearly better.
Worm122
Senior
And1: 91

Post#7 » by Worm122 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:32 pm

Huertas is clutch, is a great passer, can create for others, and has high energy and experience, great pick up by the Lakers.
trevm37
Junior
And1: 215

Post#8 » by trevm37 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:32 pm

I'm sure he can teach Russel a thing or two along the way.....
DrazenPetrovic3
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#9 » by DrazenPetrovic3 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Having Kobe, Huertas and occasionlly Nash around is gonna do wonders for Clarkson and Russell. I like this signing on all fronts. I also think that Kobe had a say in this maybe possibly.
BarbaGrizz
Analyst
And1: 1,553

Post#10 » by BarbaGrizz » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:41 pm

Fischella wrote:
BarbaGrizz wrote:Probably the best PG outside NBA, great sign for the Lakers.

Well he is not even close to that nowadays, maybe 2-3 years ago, at least Llull (best player outside of the NBA by a mile), Teodosic, Rodríguez, Koponen and Calathes are clearly better.

You´re right. I have in my mind his game from two years away, haven´t seen him playing lately
Celtic Koala wrote:The only player from the 90s that would have been a top 10 player in the modern league would have been MJ and if you stretch it a bit Olajuwon

bstein14 wrote:Mikan is much worse than Luka Garza, who can't even make an NBA roster today
kblo247
RealGM
And1: 2,130

Post#11 » by kblo247 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:46 pm

Slava wrote:32 year old Brazilian moving to the NBA at this point in his career, I wonder if we gave him the MLE and a guaranteed roster spot to convince him to make the move.

Probably gave him the whole room .. No other reason to come over if not.

He's a good pick and roll ball handler, doesn't give up his dribble even when trapped, is a roll mans dream, and can pass from different angles. Doesn't really have a killer 3 but can hit a jumper. He can be a calming influence like Shaw or Harper were in the 3 peat, good for 20 mins, won't make mistakes, and is heady. He's a solid add and a sure fire way to keep Kelly and Sacre out a **** rotation for good, while putting nance and brown in the d league.

Slava if you play 2k, you can get a small sample of his skills with Barcelona as he is so good with the ISO motion passing
kblo247
RealGM

Post#12 » by kblo247 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:48 pm

Clathes ain't better when he's not juicing .. He's barely a nba player then
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#13 » by Slava » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:51 pm

kblo247 wrote:
Slava wrote:32 year old Brazilian moving to the NBA at this point in his career, I wonder if we gave him the MLE and a guaranteed roster spot to convince him to make the move.

Probably gave him the whole room .. No other reason to come over if not.

He's a good pick and roll ball handler, doesn't give up his dribble even when trapped, is a roll mans dream, and can pass from different angles. Doesn't really have a killer 3 but can hit a jumper. He can be a calming influence like Shaw or Harper were in the 3 peat, good for 20 mins, won't make mistakes, and is heady. He's a solid add and a sure fire way to keep Kelly and Sacre out a **** rotation for good, while putting nance and brown in the d league.

Slava if you play 2k, you can get a small sample of his skills with Barcelona as he is so good with the ISO motion passing

Don't play 2k but I get the point. Its interesting having 4 guards in Kobe, Clarkson, Russell and now Huertis all capable pick and roll players and yet we might end up playing Byron's Princeton offense with notoriously bad roll men like Hibbert and Bass. Hopefully Randle and Black show some promise.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
notinbtnet
Junior
And1: 14

Post#14 » by notinbtnet » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:54 pm

With the Huertas signing:

Russell / Williams / Huertas
Clarkson / JBrown / Frazier
Bryant / Young / ABrown
Randle / Bass / Nance Jr / Holmes / Kelly
Hibbert / Black / Sacre / Upshaw

Who's in and who's out?

I am thinking that JBrown/Frazier, Sacre/Upshaw (if Upshaw makes it to camp and keeps his head straight), and Kelly/Holmes are the camp battles to watch.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#15 » by kblo247 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:56 pm

Bass isn't a terrible roll man or pop man ... His jumper is basically money from mid in this league and he converts at the rim at well over a 50% clip.

Huertes off the bench with Lou, Swaggy, Randle, and Black makes sense. He will know when to clear out for Lou, when to hit Swaggy in stride for a corner 3 which is by far nicks biggest plus vs anyone on the roster, reward Black for garbage man hustle, and give it to Randle off a roll assuming he tires to finish like a man ala Malone and Amare and doesn't flail at the rim
kblo247
RealGM

Post#16 » by kblo247 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:57 pm

notinbtnet wrote:With the Huertas signing:

Bryant / Young / ABrown

Who's in and who's out?

I am thinking that JBrown/Frazier, Sacre/Upshaw (if Upshaw makes it to camp and keeps his head straight), and Kelly/Holmes are the camp battles to watch.

Mitch has questioned if Jabari is a nba player multiple times and Lou was 6moy at SG last year
DrewBynum77
Lead Assistant
And1: 322

Post#17 » by DrewBynum77 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:01 pm

He made enough money already in Europe. He wanted to go to the NBA much earlier. Like 4 years ago NBA teams wanted him but he resigned with Barcelona.

NBA game suits him much more. He's great at the PnR and also an uptempo style. He can find roles in any D. Now, he isn't a shooter! He's a very craft scorer and can score with easy if you take away the pass from him, but he's always looking for the pass. Always looking to create for his teammates. But he's not a jump shooter. He worked his 3pt shot but it isn't great.

Here's a highlight in FIBA's World Ch. in 2010 where he showed his offensive proneness against team USA:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MklXaNsyl8U[/youtube]

Also, he's not a very good individual defender but I think very few PGs in today's NBA are great individual defenders. It's almost impossible with today's rules.

I'm downplaying him just so you people don't think he's a typical "euro" ball player but I feel he'll create at will in the NBA. I'm so happy he signed with the Lakers! :P

PS. He was going to sign with Dallas but DJ's resigning with the Clippers changed things.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#18 » by No-Man » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:05 pm

notinbtnet wrote:With the Huertas signing:

Bryant / Young / ABrown

Who's in and who's out?

Well, I'd say,

Clarkson-Huertas
Williams-Russell-JBrown
Bryant-Young-ABrown
Bass-Randle-Kelly-Nance
Hibbert-Black-Sacre

Frazier, Holmes and Upshaw will get a contract offer from the D-fenders.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,686

Post#19 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Excellent signing for the price and current need. Am I the only one who thinks that this Laker's squad has too many volume shooters with no "true" point guard (Russell is debatable)? I mean Clarkson, Russell, Lou, Kobe and Young all seem to be high volume shooters who aren't very efficient. In my eyes it can turn into a big mess with only one basketball to go around.. players will be unhappy with a lack of touches/shots etc. I hope at least one of these players gets traded before the start of the season. That's the biggest reason why I did not like the signing of Lou Williams. He is a high volume 6 foot shooting guard who shot 40% from the field and only 34% from three. I don't get it? Especially since we still have Young. I'd rather give his minutes to our younger guards. I might get flamed for this, but I think Jeremy Lin would have been a better fit as a backup because he's more of a point guard than Lou is and is on a contract that is worth less than half of what we owe Lou.
kblo247
RealGM

Post#20 » by kblo247 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:18 pm

Which is why they all besides Upshaw are getting 500k guaranteed to them for attending camp. They can pull in 75k to feel out the Dfenders

Return to Los Angeles Lakers