High End Scrub / Minimum or close contract
No votes
Bench Player / Valuable off the bench
7%
Starter / Bottom 10 starting PG
9%
Solid Starter / Mid-tier
21%
Borderline All-Star / Always underrated (Eg. Conley)
22%
Perennial All-Star / #2 or #3 on a championship team
28%
Superstar / On the Harden/Curry/Durant/Lebron/etc tier
12%

Total votes: 58

Westbreezy
Pro Prospect
And1: 951

Re: D'Angelo Russell Prediction Thread 

Post#61 » by Westbreezy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:53 am

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/7nnVZcAU5F/[/instagram]

I'm no height expert but if Evan Turner is 6"7, doesn't it look like Russell's only an inch shorter than him? Maybe its just me?
dub81 wrote:Byron had to do one of two things this year: Either win games or develop the youth. Swung and missed wildly on both.

Lakers 2015-16 Season in a Nutshell
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#62 » by PKABOOICU » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:59 am

although he reminds me of a hybrid of harden/ginobili, he lacks the athleticism of both, but his drive and IQ is better than both were at his age. He shouldn't have a problem being an allstar throughout his career, and if things pan out, he has superstar written all over him. He'll have a long NBA career, thats for sure.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#63 » by crazyeights » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:02 am

Westbreezy wrote:[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/7nnVZcAU5F/[/instagram]

I'm no height expert but if Evan Turner is 6"7, doesn't it look like Russell's only an inch shorter than him? Maybe its just me?

Russell's listed as 6'5" so that sounds about right.
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#64 » by crazyeights » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:08 am

iamworthy wrote:For giggles I produced a list of guards that came into the league at 18/19 years old. Hopefully its correct.

Code: Select all

Rk   Player          Age
1   Bradley Beal           19
2   Ricky Davis           19
3   Dante Exum           19
4   Archie Goodwin           19
5   Xavier Henry           19
6   Jrue Holiday           19
7   Kyrie Irving           19
8   Zach LaVine           19
9   Shaun Livingston   19
10   Stephon Marbury   19
11   Eric Money                   19
12   Tony Parker           19
13   J.R. Smith                   19
14   DeShawn Stevenson   19
15   Marquis Teague           19
16   Sebastian Telfair   19
17   Dajuan Wagner           19
18   Lou Williams           19
19   Tony Wroten           19
20   Kobe Bryant           18
21   C.J. Miles                   18

Fascinating stuff. We have to give Russell time.

Man Kobe really sticks out on this list. Interesting we'll have Lou Williams to help mentor D' through that quick transition too.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,598

Post#65 » by Asianiac_24 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:48 pm

TBH I see him in the same tier as a Mike Conley/Ty Lawson level. I just don't see how he can become a Harden. Harden has amazing first step and upper body strength to finish through contact. Russell has neither. He has great court vision and jump shot but lacks the athleticism to reach that next level. Exactly like Mike Conley IMO.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#66 » by iamworthy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:46 am

crazyeights wrote:
iamworthy wrote:For giggles I produced a list of guards that came into the league at 18/19 years old. Hopefully its correct.

Rk   Player          Age

Fascinating stuff. We have to give Russell time.

Man Kobe really sticks out on this list. Interesting we'll have Lou Williams to help mentor D' through that quick transition too.

That was kinda my point. We have to give this guy time. Any other guards that guys might like came into the league a little older, more seasoned.
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#67 » by iamworthy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:47 am

Westbreezy wrote:

Rk   Player          Age

Thats pretty crazy that there's so few guards who came into the league at 18/19... Why do you think that is? Most guards stay in college for more than 1 year? I wonder why

I could make something up but honestly I have no idea.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#68 » by tugs » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:11 am

Was mentioned in the General Board but I kind of getting the same sense of a more athletic and lengthier Kendall Marshall.
Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#69 » by Doormatt » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:21 am

tugs wrote:Was mentioned in the General Board but I kind of getting the same sense of a more athletic and lengthier Kendall Marshall.

lol that makes absolutely no sense, kendall marshall couldnt shoot for ****, while russell is known for his shooting. i also dont think kendall had nearly the game sense russell has already shown just in college/summer league, both are good passers but thats where the comparison ends.
#doorgek
hazy_01
Rookie
And1: 362

Post#70 » by hazy_01 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:49 am

Doormatt wrote:
tugs wrote:Was mentioned in the General Board but I kind of getting the same sense of a more athletic and lengthier Kendall Marshall.

lol that makes absolutely no sense, kendall marshall couldnt shoot for ****, while russell is known for his shooting. i also dont think kendall had nearly the game sense russell has already shown just in college/summer league, both are good passers but thats where the comparison ends.

The Russell hate is getting crazy on the general board with fricking "Poor man's Trey Burke"? The life of being a Lakerhater sigh...
tugs
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: D'Angelo Russell Prediction Thread 

Post#71 » by tugs » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:34 am

Doormatt wrote:

Let me just put it this way: lengthier and more athletic Kendall Marshall on his best day would be Russell's floor.
Leor_77
Analyst
And1: 533

Post#72 » by Leor_77 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:37 am

Westbreezy wrote:[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/7nnVZcAU5F/[/instagram]

Man, please step away from Evan Turner, Russell. Exactly how we don't want him to turn out. High draft pick guard from OSU, lots of hype, disappointment in the NBA.
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#73 » by RingsDontLie » Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:38 pm

Asianiac_24 wrote:TBH I see him in the same tier as a Mike Conley/Ty Lawson level. I just don't see how he can become a Harden. Harden has amazing first step and upper body strength to finish through contact. Russell has neither. He has great court vision and jump shot but lacks the athleticism to reach that next level. Exactly like Mike Conley IMO.

Harden is a SG. Russell....PG.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#74 » by dockingsched » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:53 pm

Most fans want him to be a pg, but he's been as much a sg as a pg in his career up to this point.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
tugs
RealGM

Post#75 » by tugs » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Let Russell be a playmaking SG and Clarkson as an offensive minded PG. Fits well with their styles of play.
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#76 » by iamworthy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:53 pm

If you listen to the video in the pre camp thread Byron refers to DLo as a pg.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#77 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:33 pm

RingsDontLie wrote:
Asianiac_24 wrote:TBH I see him in the same tier as a Mike Conley/Ty Lawson level. I just don't see how he can become a Harden. Harden has amazing first step and upper body strength to finish through contact. Russell has neither. He has great court vision and jump shot but lacks the athleticism to reach that next level. Exactly like Mike Conley IMO.

Harden is a SG. Russell....PG.

Technically they are both lead guards.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#78 » by Michael Lucky » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:35 pm

iamworthy wrote:If you listen to the video in the pre camp thread Byron refers to DLo as a pg.

yes Byron seems stuck in this idea of making D"Angelo a true PG. He's not that at all and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up playing the two while Clarkson starts playing the one 20 games in. Just because he can make the wow pass doesn't change the fact that he's a scorer first.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#79 » by TyCobb » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:55 am

Michael Lucky wrote:
iamworthy wrote:If you listen to the video in the pre camp thread Byron refers to DLo as a pg.

yes Byron seems stuck in this idea of making D"Angelo a true PG. He's not that at all and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up playing the two while Clarkson starts playing the one 20 games in. Just because he can make the wow pass doesn't change the fact that he's a scorer first.

Russell was more of a point guard coming into the NBA than Clarkson was as a rookie. The real question is if Russell is a better scorer than he is a distributor. 30 Assist Rate to a 17 TO rate is pretty impressive, as is his 113 ORtg on 30.6% of his teams shots as a freshman.
We'll find out what he'll be more consistent at against NBA talent. All we know is that we need to give him time to get comfortable, and a longer leash than others (Clarkson) as he will see time right away and is a whole lot younger.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#80 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:33 am

Realistically, how well his shot translates will be the biggest factor. If he developes his shot with the NBA range how he shot in college, his whole game will open up. Of course, getting stronger and improving his handles will also be critical. The two players that we all hope he will be like are harden and curry. Both this guys are elite shooters, which opens up their whole game. The ability to pull up for a three at anytime is simply what makes them so great. Now, they each added improved in other areas to go from pretty good players to superstars. They each had great vision, something that Dlo definitely has, even now.

Basically, if he doesn't adjust to three point range, you have a bust. If he adjusts (which he definitely should), you have your taller slightly more athletic Kendall Marshall that others have compare him to. If he adjusts and keep his off the dribble shooting ability, I see a very solid starter and a possible All-Star. If he manages to do that while getting stronger or improving his handles to an elite level, you have your curry\Harden MVP candidate (way less likely but not impossible). Now, if he does all of that, get harden like strength and curry like handles while staying healthy, and being a plus defender, you have an all time great. Of course, that is even more unlikely than him not adjusting to the point line and being a complete bust.

Realistically, barring miracles on both sides, He should at least be a solid starter in the long run. His natural passing ability gives him a shot at being a superstar, but realistically he needs to have amazing work ethic and supreme confidence for that to happen (which he just might have)

Average defending better shooting Jason Kidd is my hopeful homer guess.

PS: I acknowledge that Russell has a chance to bust due to his athleticism, but I seriously think if Evan Turner didn't exist all this bust talk wouldn't be this loud. Its so easy for everyone to compare an Ohio state second pick with high usage in college to another one... but Russell by all means should be an above average shooter, something we couldn't say about Turner at that stage (also wasn't Turner much older when he was drafted?)

Return to Los Angeles Lakers