Big Game hired to work with bigs...

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Big Game hired to work with bigs... 

Post#1 » by Kilroy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:01 pm

Worthy will also continue his role on Time Warner Cable SportsNet as an analyst for the network’s Lakers coverage.

“James was one of the best forwards to ever play the game,” said Kupchak. “We feel he will be a valuable addition to the coaching staff and will do an excellent job teaching our group of big men. We are pleased and fortunate to welcome him back to the organization.”

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/239342/Lakers-Hire-James-Worthy-To-Work-With-Big-Men

Nice move. Would have been nice to get Nash too but this pretty cool.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Re: Big Game hired to work with bigs... 

Post#2 » by dockingsched » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:14 pm

They hired Tracy Murray as shooting consultant for training camp too, hope it becomes permanent. Crazy that they never had a dedicated shooting coach prior.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#3 » by Tee212 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:53 pm

nice move..all the things wortty says on the pre and post game can be echoed to the players in game and locker room. he seems to says all the right things
crazyeights
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,231

Post#4 » by crazyeights » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:15 am

This is great news. Big Game deserves a little more involvement if he wants it. This is great news for Julius Randle in particular.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#5 » by Slava » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:30 am

dockingsched wrote:They hired Tracy Murray as shooting consultant for training camp too, hope it becomes permanent. Crazy that they never had a dedicated shooting coach prior.

Phil had Craig Hodges right?
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Slava » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:31 am

Pretty good move imo too, with Worthy's ability to run the floor and fill the lanes he'd have been an excellent modern day small ball PF.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#7 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:26 am

Slava wrote:
dockingsched wrote:They hired Tracy Murray as shooting consultant for training camp too, hope it becomes permanent. Crazy that they never had a dedicated shooting coach prior.

Yeah for a brief minute, but that's good news about Murray...he had one of the purest strokes I've ever seen.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#8 » by Kilroy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:33 am

To me shooting stroke is a gift not a skill... I don't really understand hiring guys with naturally beautiful strokes to teach guys with 2 left elbows to shoot pretty...
That said, I think it's a great move to hire Murray and to have a shooting coach on staff... Especially for the youth movement.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Slava » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:47 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Slava wrote:

Yeah for a brief minute, but that's good news about Murray...he had one of the purest strokes I've ever seen.

Hodges did quite well producing some outliers from both Ariza and Shannon Brown from 3 for those back to back championship seasons.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#10 » by tugs » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:51 am

Wow. Imagine even half of Big Game's skills transferred to Randle, Nance, Black, even MWP and Bass.

:droop:

More than anything, I think James will show these guys how to play with less to no wasted movements and be decisive on what they plan on doing on the court. In short, not hogging the ball.
ratra_1211
Sixth Man
And1: 271

Post#11 » by ratra_1211 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:51 am

tugs wrote:Wow. Imagine even half of Big Game's skills transferred to Randle, Nance, Black, even MWP and Bass.

:droop:

More than anything, I think James will show these guys how to play with less to no wasted movements and be decisive on what they plan on doing on the court. In short, not hogging the ball.

randle could be like worthy on bulk day lol
EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,232

Post#12 » by EArl » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:26 pm

Great hire. Randle and Nance Jr can learn a lot from Worthy.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
leeprettyp
Assistant Coach
And1: 680

Post#13 » by leeprettyp » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:15 pm

I like the move... Hope the bigs are open and receptive to what Big Game is trying to teach them in training camp

Return to Los Angeles Lakers