GT: T-Wolves @ Lakers October 28, 2015 7:30PM

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Dilly
Junior
And1: 73

Re: GT: T-Wolves @ Lakers October 28, 2015 7:30PM 

Post#461 » by Dilly » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:25 pm

gts1 wrote:
Dilly wrote:Have to disagree, weak draft or not. Getting a prospect is better than getting none at all
Can't agree with that

Lakers will be too good to lose that many games in the first place and sooner or later you have to stop trying to lose and start trying to win... We have more than enough solid prospects on this roster to develop now, don't need to stymie their growth by coaching to lose just to add another prospect that there's no guarantee he'd be the guy to get you over the hump

Theirs no guarantee any top prospects will get you over hump, but u still have to take that chance. That's what drafting is risk-taking
Tarik_shaq
Sophomore
And1: 31

Post#462 » by Tarik_shaq » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:43 pm

We talking draft prospects already huh?

I think the lakers have a great chance in being the worst team in the league in that the sixers are on the eastern conference. God forbid we dont get a knicks bounce back treatment.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#463 » by Slava » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:50 pm

Kilroy wrote:
Slava wrote:
To paraphrase one of Garnett’s ex-teammates, this is why you pay him — to dictate the mood on the court and fiddle with the fragile minds of opposing players. This is a team that needs a guy like KG. The “education of the next generation,” as Sports Illustrated put it, will be dictated by the veterans on the Lakers and Timberwolves. Whether it’s an inherent personality trait or a learned behavior, Towns looks at home, or at least more so than Russell. He was a part of the offense rather than a weird third nipple doing everything he could in an attempt to be noticed. Towns’s mentor was highly visible. Russell’s only seemed to want to talk to Roy Hibbert, Metta World Peace, and the adoring throng of Angelenos that paid to see him indulge himself.

From Grantland. This is going to be the theme of the year unless Kobe changes his ways.

I'd say this says a lot about Russell too... Look at Randle for example... He's basically a rookie too... He's had just about as much interaction with Kobe too, because Kobe's been out and Randle's been out...
So I ask you... How comfortable did Randle look with Kobe last night?

Sometimes you have to reach out to the voice that doesn't say nice things to become more than you are.

Obviously, Kobe's a dick... Always has been. Yes that's on him. But it isn't just his responsibility to change to make Russell better.

IMO Russell has been acting entitled since he was drafted... If Kobe reduced himself to help Russell it would do more to impede Russell's development than improve it...
Russell is either going to find a way to earn Kobe's respect, or he's not... If he doesn't, I'd be willing to bet he ends up being a huge disappointment in the NBA.

I'm sure people will take a lot of things from his demeanor but Russell is the only guy that has been looking to play within the confines of the offense while everyone else is freelancing to get themselves shots so if we want to take the next step towards a team offense, that's the guy we need to build around.

Kobe is supposed to be Russell's mentor, I'm not sure what that means to him beyond his usual 25 shots and rabid ball demands. This team won't get on the right track unless the offense starts in Russell's hands and he puts others in the place to succeed.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Minnesotadrake
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#464 » by Minnesotadrake » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Wow what a game! Looked like Kobe was pretty motivated to show he's still got it and Randle looked good too. When we we were up by 7 with a minute to go, I knew the Lakers would come back. It's the Timberwolves way :)

We do appreciate all the thoughts for Flip and I'll be rooting for Clarkson since he's on my fantasy team.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#465 » by Kilroy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:38 pm

I get what you're saying, and up until about halfway through preseason I was completely with you. But at this point, I don't think Russell's ready to initiate the offense at this level. I think if we do that we have to be willing to accept major blowouts when we do. Russell just isn't that effective right now as a floor general or an early offensive option.

Maybe he's playing within the offense, but his errant passes looked to me like they were outside the flow of the offense. You don't generally draw up a play where the PG tries to thread the needle from beyond the 3pt line and hit a guy in the paint... It would have been cool if it worked but it was forced and ineffective.

That said, Kobe shouldn't get the ball with 20sec on the shot clock and go into full iso mode... In those cases, Russell should at least get a chance to score.

Kobe broke the game last night IMO... Not defending him in that instance. But Russell didn't look like a true threat last night either, and that's not Kobe's fault IMO.

Like I said though, Russell played good D and moved well without the ball. I liked what I saw along those lines. He didn't look completely comfortable on Offense. But I'm not ready to buy the 'Kobe's a bad Mentor' narrative at this point.

I also thought Towns looked lost a lot last night too... So I don't really buy the KG's a bettor mentor line either.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
moonpie
General Manager
And1: 2,684

Post#466 » by moonpie » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:31 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VGO9vUfUUQ[/youtube]
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#467 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:06 pm

bulliedog8 wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:Can't believe I'm seeing so called Laker fans on the GB praying to keep a so called top 3 pick. First off you have to realize this team is just decent enough that they won't come close to being low enough to keep that pick. Secondly college basketball will be almost unwatchable this season and there isn't one kid that will be a lottery pick that will put a team over the hump.

If you believe that they'll keep that pick and find a stud in a real weak draft....then you are mentally F'd up and have no ball IQ.

Dont know how much you or anyone else values Fran Friscellas opinion, but he says Simmons is a transcendent talent. I never watched him really, but I think him and Skal will be multiple time allstars. Im high on Jaylen Brown of California too.
Simmons will be good but he's not going to come in and dominate or put a team over the hump quickly. Yeah Skal will be a threat also but his frame is so rail then for NBA level, he's gonna need at least 2 years to bulk up. Brown might be the more NBA ready of the 3 because his game is more refined seeing as he's a natural 2 and could float to the 3 in today's up tempo style of play. Also a sleeper guy will be his teammate Ivan Rabb, he's a long athletic 4.

So when I say the draft is weak I mean in terms of after the first 10 picks it get's real thin bro.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#468 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:14 pm

Jedi32 wrote:Like I said anything to blame kobe. Sad that after all he's done for the franchise people still want to blame every Ill on him.
Yeah it's comical reading the stuff I'm reading here. What Kobe did last night had NO correlation at all to DeAngelo's performance. I seriously question the ball IQ of some of these posters here some times.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#469 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Dilly wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:
Dilly wrote:Have to disagree, weak draft or not. Getting a prospect is better than getting none at all
Keep on disagreeing, because I'm here to tell you there isn't one guy in college that will put a team over the hump, there isn't even one that will come in and average 20. The Lakers are done seeking prospects, like Mitch said they don't have time for a 10 rebuild and they certainly can't rely on building through a weak draft. In fact the next 2 drafts will be about as weak as I've ever seen them.

I get what you're saying in not wanting the looonnnggg rebuild. But how do you know what draft classes will be weak and you haven't even seen the prospects play at the collegiate level? Somebody can surprise you
Because I've seen them on the AAU circuit and college isn't all that much different than high school....except that the college coaches are strict control freaks. Trust I'm seeing what's out there and I get insider information on recruits through scouting services. Some have already said that this 2015 and 2016 high school classes are some of the weakest in quite some time.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

Doormatt
RealGM
And1: 2,013

Post#470 » by Doormatt » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:52 pm

Jedi32 wrote:
Doormatt wrote:
The Regime wrote:All the people that are giving Kobe **** for calling a timeout need to gtfo. That was the right thing to do...no one wants to see Randle pinball into the paint and put up another off balanced shot.

Lou got a quality look, I bet he wants that one back. Tough loss.

It was actually Byron's fault, he should have called a timeout immediately.

It's really no one's fault. It's the first game of the season.

i don't see how that is relevant. Whether its game 1 or game 82, whether its the Finals or preseason, Byron should have called a timeout immediately. That's just what should have done, plain and simple.
#doorgek
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#471 » by dockingsched » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:22 am

Honestly to me the issue with Russell right now is that the offense is stagnant limiting his ability to use his vision and he's surrounded by a bunch of players that prefer to ball stop and iso.

I spent the whole game watching him on and off the ball and it's so frustrating watching him get totally ignored off the ball cause Kobe or someone else going on an isolation for the millionth time and then when he does get to run the PNR everyone is standing around and either missing s good shot or not even being ready for the pass. He's gotta be so frustrated. He deserves better.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#472 » by Jedi32 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:05 am

Kilroy wrote:I get what you're saying, and up until about halfway through preseason I was completely with you. But at this point, I don't think Russell's ready to initiate the offense at this level. I think if we do that we have to be willing to accept major blowouts when we do. Russell just isn't that effective right now as a floor general or an early offensive option.

Maybe he's playing within the offense, but his errant passes looked to me like they were outside the flow of the offense. You don't generally draw up a play where the PG tries to thread the needle from beyond the 3pt line and hit a guy in the paint... It would have been cool if it worked but it was forced and ineffective.

That said, Kobe shouldn't get the ball with 20sec on the shot clock and go into full iso mode... In those cases, Russell should at least get a chance to score.

Kobe broke the game last night IMO... Not defending him in that instance. But Russell didn't look like a true threat last night either, and that's not Kobe's fault IMO.

Like I said though, Russell played good D and moved well without the ball. I liked what I saw along those lines. He didn't look completely comfortable on Offense. But I'm not ready to buy the 'Kobe's a bad Mentor' narrative at this point.

I also thought Towns looked lost a lot last night too... So I don't really buy the KG's a bettor mentor line either.

Yea don't buybi I
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#473 » by Jedi32 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:06 am

Kilroy wrote:I get what you're saying, and up until about halfway through preseason I was completely with you. But at this point, I don't think Russell's ready to initiate the offense at this level. I think if we do that we have to be willing to accept major blowouts when we do. Russell just isn't that effective right now as a floor general or an early offensive option.

Yea I don't buy it either. Sounds more like a nice little fluff piece nothing more.
Dilly
Junior
And1: 73

Post#474 » by Dilly » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:08 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
Dilly wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:Keep on disagreeing, because I'm here to tell you there isn't one guy in college that will put a team over the hump, there isn't even one that will come in and average 20. The Lakers are done seeking prospects, like Mitch said they don't have time for a 10 rebuild and they certainly can't rely on building through a weak draft. In fact the next 2 drafts will be about as weak as I've ever seen them.

I get what you're saying in not wanting the looonnnggg rebuild. But how do you know what draft classes will be weak and you haven't even seen the prospects play at the collegiate level? Somebody can surprise you
Because I've seen them on the AAU circuit and college isn't all that much different than high school....except that the college coaches are strict control freaks. Trust I'm seeing what's out there and I get insider information on recruits through scouting services. Some have already said that this 2015 and 2016 high school classes are some of the weakest in quite some time.

I'm going to take the wait and see approach because prospects do improve their gm. So you're saying if we keep our pick u wouldn't want a shot at Simmons, Ingram, Jaylen?
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#475 » by bulliedog8 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:03 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
bulliedog8 wrote:
DEEP3CL wrote:Can't believe I'm seeing so called Laker fans on the GB praying to keep a so called top 3 pick. First off you have to realize this team is just decent enough that they won't come close to being low enough to keep that pick. Secondly college basketball will be almost unwatchable this season and there isn't one kid that will be a lottery pick that will put a team over the hump.

If you believe that they'll keep that pick and find a stud in a real weak draft....then you are mentally F'd up and have no ball IQ.

Dont know how much you or anyone else values Fran Friscellas opinion, but he says Simmons is a transcendent talent. I never watched him really, but I think him and Skal will be multiple time allstars. Im high on Jaylen Brown of California too.
Simmons will be good but he's not going to come in and dominate or put a team over the hump quickly. Yeah Skal will be a threat also but his frame is so rail then for NBA level, he's gonna need at least 2 years to bulk up. Brown might be the more NBA ready of the 3 because his game is more refined seeing as he's a natural 2 and could float to the 3 in today's up tempo style of play. Also a sleeper guy will be his teammate Ivan Rabb, he's a long athletic 4.

So when I say the draft is weak I mean in terms of after the first 10 picks it get's real thin bro.

ya outside a a few guys, this will be a more role player type draft, unless some guys come out of nowhere. I like Rabb too. California is gonna be a legit team this year. Will be fun to watch them
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#476 » by Spens1 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:21 am

Kobe's chucking is ridiculous, we actually are worse with him than without, i think its got to that stage right now.

I'm sorry this has to be his last season because now he is becoming a detriment. 8/24 is bad enough (33% from F.G is very bad) but 3/13 from a guy whose never been the best shooter (why the hell is he attempting that many 3's in the first place) is stupid.

Scott has to be brave, i would say either play some team basketball or get benched, because we all know this team and kobe himself is the best when he is distributing and moving the ball rather than playing a stupid iso and chucking like he is now, he isn't in his prime nor is he MJ. The sooner he learns that the sooner it will be better for the lakers
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#477 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:25 am

kblo247 wrote:Nick on the floor

Nick is now in a very similar situation as Jerry Stackhouse was in back in around 2002 or so.

MJ was what Kobe is like now. Not ready to defer.
Stackhouse was still athletic and a scorer back then, like Nick is now.

Your 2015 Lakers are so eerily similar to the 2002 Wizards that it's frightening. :o

Micheal Jordan ended his career on two Wizards teams that IIRC finished 37-45 two straight years, failing to make the playoffs in the East, each year.

Kobe's going to will this team to some wins but I bet he runs off your Rip Hamilton and he also will keep the Lakers competitive but not good enough to make the playoffs. Bad pick territory.

That's the WORST.
Bye bye Beal.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#478 » by ALL HAIL » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:25 am

dockingsched wrote:Honestly to me the issue with Russell right now is that the offense is stagnant limiting his ability to use his vision and he's surrounded by a bunch of players that prefer to ball stop and iso.

I spent the whole game watching him on and off the ball and it's so frustrating watching him get totally ignored off the ball cause Kobe or someone else going on an isolation for the millionth time and then when he does get to run the PNR everyone is standing around and either missing s good shot or not even being ready for the pass. He's gotta be so frustrated. He deserves better.

The Lakers have obviously made a conscious decision with regard to his development that it's best he be brought along as a fourth option.

Gotta love upper management.

PS: He needs to play with the ball doc, even if he isn't being aggressive. The Lakers are grooming him as a PG, and, like you said, he'll almost never see the ball if he doesn't bring it up the court himself.
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#479 » by dipstick » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:34 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Kobe's going to will this team to some wins but I bet he runs off your Rip Hamilton and he also will keep the Lakers competitive but not good enough to make the playoffs. Bad pick territory.

That's the WORST.

Bad pick territory isn't so bad for the Lakers because it won't be our pick to keep. We're not bad enough to keep a top 3 pick so might as well get the youngsters some competitive winning experience even if we don't make the playoffs. getting over 30 wins in the West with 3 1st and 2nd year players on the starting lineup will be a good sign and will be enticing potential incoming free agents who want to be a game changer for our team.

Going back to the game, the way we lost hurts. 13 3s from Kobe is obviously just wrong. But if and when our starters get their chemistry, this team will be good. The bench scoring is probably one of the best in the league. We just have to figure out the bench frontline rotation.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#480 » by iamworthy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:38 am

Our spacing on offense seemed bad as well. For all the greatness that is Randle, it sucks that he cant hit the 3. That would open up the floor for Russ even more.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers