Starter
And1: 469

Re: Russell, Randle, Clarkson 

Post#161 » by The Prodigy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:51 pm

ratra_1211 wrote:
jeroka wrote:
ratra_1211 wrote:
sadly its how the "offense" works

well, such is mostly the nature of a point guard's job, to handle the ball outside the 3pt line and try to run plays... unless you want Russell to act like a PF/C, then they can give him the ball in the low post...

i swear those guys were talking about randle

You are correct.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#162 » by iamworthy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:33 am

Better and better every game!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqB7jxFvUWw[/youtube]
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#163 » by iamworthy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:41 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AsQWeV3L54[/youtube]
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#164 » by iamworthy » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:54 am

Always nice to see guys support their teammates when they get sent down to the D-Leauge

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/668284877624619008[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nbadleague/status/668273842901688320[/tweet]
iamworthy
RealGM

Post#166 » by iamworthy » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:55 am

Stephen Curry Escaped the Path D'Angelo Russell is On

The Warriors have a stable foundation build around point guard Stephen Curry, who has blossomed into (arguably) the best basketball player on the planet. On the other hand, the Lakers are stuck in an awkward transitional phase where the young talent, touted as the future, struggles for power with an over-the-hill legend. Trapped in the middle of this is second overall pick, point guard D’Angelo Russell.

As a rookie, Curry had to deal with Don Nelson, who notoriously opposed playing rookies. Then once he retired, he handpicked Keith Smart to succeed him. Smart and Curry had issues and, though the latter would never call out his coach, it was evident Smart was only holding the future MVP back.

He would bench Curry in favor of Acie Law late in games, punishing his point guard for making mistakes.The promising young guard wasn’t getting the reps required for a player to develop. Smart was extra hard on Curry and, while he did it in hopes that he would improve, he only hindered his growth.

The Lakers are not going anywhere this year and it would take a miracle for them to do anything next year. But the Warriors didn’t do anything either until Curry’s fourth year. Developing point guards in the modern NBA is difficult when they have to go up against great players on a nightly basis. The Lakers aren’t going to have a Joe Lacob come save the franchise so the changes need to be made internally. Scott and Bryant need to understand the game is different than it was when they played and the state of the Lakers is in uncharted territory. Kobe can’t shoot them back into this one.

Link
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#167 » by The Skyhook » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:32 pm

I forgot to upload this picture from the Lakers @ Knicks game earlier this month. Wish I had a version without the snap chat caption bar.

Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#168 » by Mirjalovic » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:01 pm

iamworthy wrote:

The Warriors have a stable foundation build around point guard Stephen Curry, who has blossomed into (arguably) the best basketball player on the planet. On the other hand, the Lakers are stuck in an awkward transitional phase where the young talent, touted as the future, struggles for power with an over-the-hill legend. Trapped in the middle of this is second overall pick, point guard D’Angelo Russell.

As a rookie, Curry had to deal with Don Nelson, who notoriously opposed playing rookies. Then once he retired, he handpicked Keith Smart to succeed him. Smart and Curry had issues and, though the latter would never call out his coach, it was evident Smart was only holding the future MVP back.

He would bench Curry in favor of Acie Law late in games, punishing his point guard for making mistakes.The promising young guard wasn’t getting the reps required for a player to develop. Smart was extra hard on Curry and, while he did it in hopes that he would improve, he only hindered his growth.

The Lakers are not going anywhere this year and it would take a miracle for them to do anything next year. But the Warriors didn’t do anything either until Curry’s fourth year. Developing point guards in the modern NBA is difficult when they have to go up against great players on a nightly basis. The Lakers aren’t going to have a Joe Lacob come save the franchise so the changes need to be made internally. Scott and Bryant need to understand the game is different than it was when they played and the state of the Lakers is in uncharted territory. Kobe can’t shoot them back into this one.

Link

what if, Don Nelson and Keith Smart's treatment for Curry, is the reason on why Steph Curry playing really well now ?

it's crazy but yeah.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#169 » by MelosSoreWrist » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:10 pm

The Skyhook wrote:I forgot to upload this picture from the Lakers @ Knicks game earlier this month. Wish I had a version without the snap chat caption bar.

This might be an unpopular opinion here but I dont think Russell, Randle, and Clarkson are cornerstones to championship contention. Ideally I think they develop to be 3rd, 4th, 5th guys on a great team. Draft Simmons, sign Durant... thats a core to build around. Russell, Randle and Clarkson are parts that may be used or traded.

LA loved them some Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell. And they were good fun players. But you dont win championships with them. You win it with Kobe and Shaq.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#170 » by LApwnd » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:03 pm

MelosSoreWrist wrote:
The Skyhook wrote:I forgot to upload this picture from the Lakers @ Knicks game earlier this month. Wish I had a version without the snap chat caption bar.

This might be an unpopular opinion here but I dont think Russell, Randle, and Clarkson are cornerstones to championship contention. Ideally I think they develop to be 3rd, 4th, 5th guys on a great team. Draft Simmons, sign Durant... thats a core to build around. Russell, Randle and Clarkson are parts that may be used or traded.

LA loved them some Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell. And they were good fun players. But you dont win championships with them. You win it with Kobe and Shaq.

Coaching....jones, nick and Campbell had del harris and kobe/shaq couldnt win with del either....phil could have done some thing with nick, jone amd cambell and kobe.....come on now phil had weddington and luc longley as his Cs
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#171 » by MelosSoreWrist » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:08 pm

LApwnd wrote:
MelosSoreWrist wrote:

Coaching....jones, nick and Campbell had del harris and kobe/shaq couldnt win with del either....phil could have done some thing with nick, jone amd cambell and kobe.....come on now phil had weddington and luc longley as his Cs

Wellington, Longley, Purdue, Cartwright.... as long as you have Jordan and Pippen.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
Hank7
Junior
And1: 68

Post#172 » by Hank7 » Wed Dec 2, 2015 10:16 pm

It was difficult to watch Randle and Clarkson being interviewed after the lost last night. #### they looked like they were on the verge of tears. I hope the brass at the top get their act together because no one would want to be a part of this circus for the long term.
LApwnd
Banned User
And1: 1,146

Post#173 » by LApwnd » Thu Dec 3, 2015 6:46 am

These 3 can play together. ...peop l e need to stop trying to trade off any one of them
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#174 » by Jody Smokz » Thu Dec 3, 2015 3:19 pm

Being a hardass for no reason isn't a positive

Mirjalovic wrote:
iamworthy wrote:

Link

what if, Don Nelson and Keith Smart's treatment for Curry, is the reason on why Steph Curry playing really well now ?

it's crazy but yeah.
chefy12
Junior
And1: 78

Post#175 » by chefy12 » Thu Dec 3, 2015 4:23 pm

russel = billups
PKABOOICU
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,128

Post#176 » by PKABOOICU » Thu Dec 3, 2015 4:27 pm

randle definitely needs a 20 foot jumper in his arsenal
russell will start to look pretty good in 2 years
clarkson will be more appreciated once kobe is gone and one of either nick young or lou williams are gone, although i wouldn't mind packaging him for a more seasoned veteran sg.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#177 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Dec 3, 2015 4:42 pm

MelosSoreWrist wrote:

I think that's a spot-on analogy, especially since that's exactly how the Lakers reached championship level- signing an FA and drafting a superstar to lead the other players. The other aspect is that they eventually hired the right coach to seal the deal, but we all know about Byron already.

The Lakers had some nice players (Ceballos and Threat were also around that time), but were definitely on the outside of the true contender group looking in, before they signed Shaq. To win a title you can't just have good players, you have to have a couple of guys that comparatively dominate the competition. Not sure I see that in Russell, Randle, or Clarkson.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#178 » by Slava » Thu Dec 3, 2015 9:32 pm

Good article on Clarkson's improvement:

When the Lakers drafted point guard D'Angelo Russell with the second overall pick in the 2015 NBA Draft, most analysts agreed that Clarkson would have to improve his three-point shooting in order for the two to have any hope of being a long-term fit. Together with Scott and Hanlan, Clarkson went to work on a process he described as "reconstructing my shot." After shooting just 31.4 percent on threes over his rookie campaign, Clarkson says he mainly worked on improving his balance while shooting.

"Sometimes you can't determine if you are going to fade or not. Sometimes it just happens in the game when you're in the air, but as many times as I can get my feet set, I'm just trying to stay squared and keep my feet pointed toward the basket," Clarkson explained to Lakers Reporter Mike Trudell before the team's night win over the Washington Wizards. "We put a lot of work and time in this summer and I think it's showing off right now."

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/12/3/9840176/la-lakers-jordan-clarkson-steal-stats-film

3 point shooting form comparison:

2014-15:

2015-16:

:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#179 » by The Skyhook » Thu Dec 3, 2015 10:09 pm

Clarkson has busted his ass and it has resulted in nothing but improvement. The guy played half a season last year and it is very early into this season, which is why it baffles me that so many people on here seem ready to write him off.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#180 » by Slava » Thu Dec 3, 2015 10:19 pm

The Skyhook wrote:Clarkson has busted his ass and it has resulted in nothing but improvement. The guy played half a season last year and it is very early into this season, which is why it baffles me that so many people on here seem ready to write him off.

You should read the Wizards game thread, they were comparing Clarkson favorably over Beal who was a top 3 pick and a max contract player this summer.

This is weird that a fanbase that overrates every Laker is so happily dogging on a young player that's actually good.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers