ImageImageImageImageImage

Conflict of interest? LBJ and Klutch...

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Conflict of interest? LBJ and Klutch... 

Post#1 » by stan francisco » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Does it strike anyone else that a player financially backing an agency could potentially affect FA in ways not chill with the CBA? Is the example of LBJ backing Klutch a sustainable concept to allow NBA players going forward? It seems similar to the telecommunications act of 1996, which destroyed things long term for the grassroots independent filmmaker (read: small market NBA teams). Thoughts?

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/241188/Ben-Simmons-To-Hire-Klutch-Sports-As-Agent
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Re: Conflict of interest? LBJ and Simmons... 

Post#2 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:30 pm

Where is the evidence that Lebron is the financial backing for Klutch? Rich Paul to my understanding got his start up at CAA.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by stan francisco » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Klutch Sports is backed by LeBron James.

Maybe he just got their back, gives them moral support. I assumed they meant more, like financial backing.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#4 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:20 pm

Lebron's friend is Rich Paul
Rich Paul is an agent that used to work at CAA
RIch Paul left CAA to start Klutch and he is Lebron's agent
There is no Lebron financial backing. Lebron doesn't own Klutch.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Re: Conflict of interest? LBJ and Klutch... 

Post#5 » by stan francisco » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:04 pm

I wonder what, exactly, they mean by "backed by"?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#6 » by Slava » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:00 am

Lebron is behind Klutch and that's not a big secret, he openly endorsed clients like Bledsoe during contract negotiations. However the agency is not registered under his name so there's no conflict of interest. People have similar doubts to Kobe and Rob Pelinka.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by stan francisco » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:56 pm

It smells fishy to me. After retiring, sure. While still active as a player? That's the type of stuff that can quickly turn dirty and ugly...
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#8 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:06 pm

I think you're really overthinking this. First of all where's the conflict of interest? The job of Klutch is to get player paid and opportunities. If you want to assume Lebron is the financial backer aka he gave his friend start up money the argument that there is a conflict of interest still holds 0 weight.

King Latifah wrote:It smells fishy to me. After retiring, sure. While still active as a player? That's the type of stuff that can quickly turn dirty and ugly...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by stan francisco » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:38 pm

I guess my experience with how much weight agents really hold perhaps leads me to think dirty thoughts of preferential manipulation, shady back door deals etc. Not hard for a middle age sharp lawyer to steer young rookies in one direction or another...
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#10 » by Jody Smokz » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Again you are overthinking. What does Lebron have to do with that? You think Lebron in the midst of his own life and career has time to steer the direction of Ben Simmons' choices? Much more than agents at play there as well. Family, friends, the person themselves.

Im still trying to figure out why you are trying to connect Lebron to any of that. Rich Paul was his friend, he got a shot to run his own thing AFTER being an agent under CAA. If anything give a young guy like Rich Paul the respect he deserves for the work he's put in for Lebron and others.

King Latifah wrote:I guess my experience with how much weight agents really hold perhaps leads me to think dirty thoughts of preferential manipulation, shady back door deals etc. Not hard for a middle age sharp lawyer to steer young rookies in one direction or another...
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#11 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:30 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:I think you're really overthinking this. First of all where's the conflict of interest? The job of Klutch is to get player paid and opportunities. If you want to assume Lebron is the financial backer aka he gave his friend start up money the argument that there is a conflict of interest still holds 0 weight.

King Latifah wrote:It smells fishy to me. After retiring, sure. While still active as a player? That's the type of stuff that can quickly turn dirty and ugly...

Does LeBron get a cut in the form of reduced agent fees or other perks in return for supporting Klutch, which grew out of LeBron owned LRMR? Who knows.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#12 » by Jody Smokz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:31 pm

Who knows, quite frankly I don't even think that's anyone's business. I still don't understand where the conflict of interest comes into play. Lebron being personal friends with the agent is the only real connection people are making. Why couldn't Rich Paul be the brains behind the operation? Why do we assume Lebron is some all knowing all in control person behind the deal?

What does that have to do with the other players? Like is Lebron going to be steering Ben Simmons' career or some other player on Kutch lol. That's nonsense to even think about. Rich Paul has to make a living and get players to sustain his company without Lebron to be successful.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers