Thank you, Kobe.

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

EArl
RealGM
And1: 13,231

Re: Thank you, Kobe. 

Post#101 » by EArl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:29 am

Sofa King wrote:
ak7 wrote:I was 8 years old when Kobe came into the league. Pretty much at the point in my life where I coherently started following and understanding the game. I vaguely remember watching the Rockets/Magic Finals in 94, but 96 was the year it started for me.

Here I am at 28 today and it's the first day that I can remember where Kobe isn't a player in the league. It's literally a new chapter of my life, and for the majority of us Lakers fans (unless your Deep who has probably lived through the civil war) uncharted waters that I'm not sure I want to maneuver considering who is apart of the organization.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe the Revolutionary War

Its a known fact that Deep met Jesus.
Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
Wavy Q
RealGM
And1: 2,390

Post#102 » by Wavy Q » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:36 am

Deeposthenes the Egyptian pharaoh
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#103 » by RJM » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:39 am

Amazing. I don't know what else I can say. Leonidas lives on through him.
Kalidogg24
Head Coach
And1: 827

Post#104 » by Kalidogg24 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:19 am

I know I'm literally 24 hours late posting this but damn it's just been a dream ever since that final buzzer rang.

Kobe is officially a retired NBA legend.

I've been reminiscing on all the great Mamba videos and articles through social media the whole day. Just seriously a big celebration more so over being sad. This guy bled purple and gold even before he was drafted. This guy played through countless of injuries were as he should of just been on ice. This guy played his heart out especially after the fallout of Shaq every single damn night until he brought the championship back to Los Angeles. There will never be another Kobe Bryant. Fact!

Thank you for 20 years of excellence. Thank You for the 5 World Titles you brought to Los Angeles. Thank you for your heart and dedication in being the most competitive driven professional athlete I've ever witnessed on a nightly basis. Thank You for being a true Laker Lifer.
Thank You Kobe.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoB386Q6ttY[/youtube]
REST IN PARADISE GOAT
#TeamFlightBrothers
TyrusRose2425
Head Coach
And1: 4,589

Post#105 » by TyrusRose2425 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:31 am

Bulls fan here, but I started watching basketball in 2003. Around the same time Kobe started turning from a star into a superstar. I HATED Kobe. Could not stand the guy at all and wanted to see him fail. And then somewhere down the line, my perspective of him changed. Because even though he played for the heavy favorites(I usually always cheer for the underdog) for basically all his career, he put in the work. And he played with so much heart and put in so much work that I started respecting him. And then I started liking him a little. And then I saw Lebron go do the Super Team crap in Miami and I loved Kobe because I realized how rare players with Kobe's mindset are. I'm not sure we've seen another player with that same mindset since. I thought Rose had it, but injuries to his knees have forced him to slow down and view the game differently. Anyways, it won't feel right to see the NBA without Kobe because that's all I've ever known and I'm not sure if it ever will feel right.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#106 » by stan francisco » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:26 pm

And thanks again, for another 60! Unreal. Even when I watch the replay of the fourth, it's hard to believe he actually did it again. In his last game. What an ending of a spectacular career. Thank you, Kobe!
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,286

Post#107 » by Jedi32 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:18 pm

It's sad that even during his retirement you have lame posters taking shots at him. According to the general board anyone can duplicate Kobe's success but he would have been a no one and could not duplicate anyone else's success on any other team. Well forget them. The city of LA will always love and stand behind kobe. He is a Laker for life. Damn it's gonna feel weird next year.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#108 » by stan francisco » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:51 pm

It'll be good. Onto the next chapter.

D Russ has more to give than most think. I'd guess he scores between 22-25 PPG next season. I think he'll be a top five scorer in his prime, a franchise player.

Randle is a beast on the defensive boards a hard worker and a learning sponge. Clarkson returning with defense (see exit interview) would be great.

Sign Conley and Noah (or Whiteside). Do it right now. Then fire BS. Then ask Durant what coach he wants, sign whomever that coach is and promise KD to add Westbrook next year. Fast.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
The Skyhook
RealGM
And1: 925

Post#109 » by The Skyhook » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:56 am

I don't think it will truly hit me that he has retired until next season when number 24 is no longer suiting up for the Lakers. When I came to the states in the summer of 97 I didn't understand a lick of English and certainly had no interest in sports other than soccer. I honestly don't think I ever saw a basketball hoop in person until I started the first grade that year. I happened to catch a Lakers game with Shaq dominating the opposition and Kobe flying down the court for all these spectacular dunks. Thats what got me to become a Lakers fan and I've been a fan ever since. As a kid I was always staying up late trying to hide the fact that I was staying up late to watch the Lakers because I live on the east coast.

If it wasn't for Kobe and Shaq I honestly don't know if I would have ever fallen in love with the game of basketball. Kobe even more so because he stuck around through all the hard times this franchise was faced with during the post Shaq years. It made me appreciate everything he had done even more. I was genuinely happy for him when he won in 09 because he was finally able to silence all those who questioned whether or not he could win without Shaq. I'm also happy that the league embraced him the way they did in his final season. He deserved it all and the way he went out was a story book ending. After all the years of being a Lakers fan on the east coast and listening to so many haters over the years, it felt good to finally hear people finally appreciate Kobe for all the same reasons that I had appreciated him as a Lakers fan over the years. Kobe will always be my favorite player no matter what because he made me fall in love with this game and there is nothing anyone else could do to replace that.
Lakernut4ever
Junior
And1: 92

Post#110 » by Lakernut4ever » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:49 pm

I think the greatest gift Kobe would give back to the Lakers is to personally talk to Durant about coming here and fill his shoes and be the next Laker legend. Maybe Durant will listen to Kobe...
Jon Snow
Junior
And1: 99

Post#111 » by Jon Snow » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Lakernut4ever wrote:I think the greatest gift Kobe would give back to the Lakers is to personally talk to Durant about coming here and fill his shoes and be the next Laker legend. Maybe Durant will listen to Kobe...

I think Durant will listen to Kobe and I'm pretty sure he'll try to convince Durant to fill his shoes. I also think KD asks for advice and considers Kobe as a mentor on and off the court. We've seen it when he protected Kobe from the media bashers.
"The more you give a king, the more he wants. We are walking on a bridge of ice with an abyss on either side. Pleasing one king is difficult enough, pleasing two is hardly possible." - Jon Snow, A Feast for Crows
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,311

Post#112 » by DirtyDez » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:08 am

What's the illest Kobe mix out there? There's like 500 on YouTube..
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
ratra_1211
Sixth Man
And1: 271

Post#113 » by ratra_1211 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:27 am

DirtyDez wrote:What's the illest Kobe mix out there? There's like 500 on YouTube..

my personal favorite

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iY9HjNWbJvA[/youtube]
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Post#114 » by Mr. E » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:41 am

I hated this dude for his entire career.

Now I hate to see him go.

Raising my glass to one of the all time greats!
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#115 » by DEEP3CL » Sun May 1, 2016 6:42 am

ak7 wrote:I was 8 years old when Kobe came into the league. Pretty much at the point in my life where I coherently started following and understanding the game. I vaguely remember watching the Rockets/Magic Finals in 94, but 96 was the year it started for me.

Here I am at 28 today and it's the first day that I can remember where Kobe isn't a player in the league. It's literally a new chapter of my life, and for the majority of us Lakers fans (unless your Deep who has probably lived through the civil war) uncharted waters that I'm not sure I want to maneuver considering who is apart of the organization.
Naw....not that old :lol: But I was around for a few riots.

But seriously you young bucks will eventually get over it. I thought ball would be different for me once all those Showtime Laker guys quit playing. But you adapt and embrace the newer guys as they come along. When I started watching the NBA the players were closer to my dad's age then they got younger than he was , then they got closer to my age then equal to my age then younger.

But when you're a fan of the team...that's what it's about first, the players come and go. It's tough but you adjust.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#116 » by RingsDontLie » Mon May 15, 2017 12:40 am

Man after watching these playoffs thus far, I really miss the ferocity that Kobe brings. Even with LBJ / Durant / or Curry, Kobe was simply better.
KobeBryant24
Veteran
And1: 2,167

Post#117 » by KobeBryant24 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:25 am

RingsDontLie wrote:Man after watching these playoffs thus far, I really miss the ferocity that Kobe brings. Even with LBJ / Durant / or Curry, Kobe was simply better.

Sucks not being able to watch the mamba anymore :cry:
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,819

Post#118 » by TyCobb » Mon May 15, 2017 4:43 am

A thread that should get unlimited bumps as long as RealGM is in existence. Love reading the impact he had on us however indirectly it was. Biggest thing I learned from him is obsession + work ethic can accomplish all.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Tee212
Lead Assistant
And1: 423

Post#119 » by Tee212 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:50 am

I think mike brown called kobe during half time and ask for advice during game 1 gs vs sa
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#120 » by AcecardZ » Mon May 15, 2017 11:04 am

TyCobb wrote:obsession + work ethic can accomplish all.

The exact building blocks that built this great country!
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D

Return to Los Angeles Lakers