ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers should target dakari Johnson

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

TKainZero
Head Coach
And1: 3,275

Lakers should target dakari Johnson 

Post#1 » by TKainZero » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:38 am

He was drafted by the thunder last year, and never even played a NBA game. Played with Randle at Kentucky. 20 year old center, absolutely could turn into a starter.

Lakers should use the 32nd pick to try and get him in a trade.

I don't think OKC values him highly
Hibbert is gone.
Black doesn't play defense
Upshaw busted out
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Proceeds to finish 7th and shames the entire nation!
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,267

Re: Lakers should target dakari Johnson 

Post#2 » by Frank Dux » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:42 am

He was drafted 48th. Unless Mitch really sees something, I think coughing up the 32nd pick would be an overpay.

the 32nd pick could land us another Clarkson, or Nance.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#3 » by DanishLakerFan » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:39 am

TKainZero wrote:He was drafted by the thunder last year, and never even played a NBA game. Played with Randle at Kentucky. 20 year old center, absolutely could turn into a starter.

Lakers should use the 32nd pick to try and get him in a trade.

I don't think OKC values him highly
Hibbert is gone.
Black doesn't play defense
Upshaw busted out

I dont think he's worth giving up the 32 for Dakari.

If a C is the target at 32 i think AJ Hammons, Choi Qi, Cheick Diallo and Thon Maker could be there.

I'd prefer Isaiah Cordinier, Caris Lavert or Grayson Allen at that spot.
TKainZero
Head Coach

Post#4 » by TKainZero » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:42 pm

I would have taken dakari last year at 27

Don't be married to draft slot a year out

No one would blink at trading 32 for jokic and he was picked later than that
USA Celtics in full effect. Amazing chemistry building experience right there for the main core of the team

Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#5 » by Jody Smokz » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Dakari Johnson? You gotta be kidding me
SubZero
Junior
And1: 185

Post#6 » by SubZero » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:57 pm

he played HS ball with DLo as well.

don't want him tho lol
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#7 » by Speedlot » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:05 pm

He didn't play because he probably sucked in practice.
TKainZero
Head Coach

Post#8 » by TKainZero » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:08 pm

OKC basically redshirted him this past year. (stuck him in the D-league, and never touched him)

He is still only 20 years old.

OKC retains his rights.
Played HS ball with Russell? That's a plus...
College ball with Randle? That's a plus...

There are MANY options for Center this year, I still like Dakari Johnson over most of them, especially when looking at those might be there at 32.

BEST CASE SCENERIO...
OKC looks to move him for cap relief as they are throwing $$$ at Durant to get him to stay
Trade Johnson for a top 55 protected pick, while dumping a contract perhaps...

Dakari Johnson is definatly a great prospect for the lakers to take a look at, certainly better than Tarik Black
Its not a slam dunk move, but certainly a small step in the right direction

Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#9 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:50 pm

How exactly is Dakari Johnson better than Tarik Black? What does Dakari do on the court that stands out? You're willing to offer a high 2nd for a guy that was drafted like 45th, hasn't played 1 NBA yet? This wreaks of I really love this guy and you should too talk. UK fan?
chefy12
Junior
And1: 78

Post#10 » by chefy12 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:58 pm

oh fu** yehh!
TKainZero
Head Coach

Post#11 » by TKainZero » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:How exactly is Dakari Johnson better than Tarik Black? What does Dakari do on the court that stands out? You're willing to offer a high 2nd for a guy that was drafted like 45th, hasn't played 1 NBA yet? This wreaks of I really love this guy and you should too talk. UK fan?

He is 3 inches taller than Black, and is 4 years younger than him. He also projects to be more of a defensive center.

There could be more to a trade as well.
Maybe OKC wants to let Waiters walk, and take nick young to play the scoring role off the bench.
Maybe the lakers trade them 32, and next years 2nd, for Johnson, and next years 1st from the thunder (if they can)

He shared time in the front court with KAT, Randle, WCS, and Trey Lyles in college. OKC has Kanter/Adams at center now.

Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,267

Post#12 » by Frank Dux » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:23 pm

TKainZero wrote:I would have taken dakari last year at 27

Over my boy Larry Nance Jr?

Hell no, it's hard to find that kind of hunger, and effort at that draft position.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#13 » by Spens1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:56 am

why?

we have Tarik Black and Upshaw in the d-league
DNP-Old
Senior
And1: 331

Post#14 » by DNP-Old » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Spens1 wrote:why?

Upshaw was let go...Failed drug test...

Dakari Johnson is no better than Robert Sacre. No need to trade #32 for him. Just pick a young center at #32 if need be (Hammons, Zizic, Cornelie, etc.).
"Be quick, don't hurry" -John Wooden-

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth" -Plato-
Levity
Pro Prospect
And1: 103

Post#15 » by Levity » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:30 pm

id much rather continue to develop black than look at darkari. johnson may have 2 inches over black but black has a bigger wing span, is more mobile and far better athleticism.

but if LA doesnt look to sign a premiere big, i say we look at biyombo, who has a 2.5 mil player option this summer. he was a very good fill in for TOR while jonas was out for 8 weeks.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#16 » by Jody Smokz » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:48 pm

Biyombo is definitely declining his option. Could be a solid pick up if they don't hit on Whiteside.
XtotheDeezy
Veteran
And1: 1,790

Post#17 » by XtotheDeezy » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:49 pm

We might as well just draft someone we think has upside. Dakari couldn't even get out of the D-League (albeit he was drafted by a contender). I think this is just a case of OP falling in love with his name (Dakari Johnson sounds cool, I get it) and his mind creating a scenario where his development plays out properly.
TKainZero
Head Coach

Post#18 » by TKainZero » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:27 pm

Watched him closely at UK. He looked good, playing next some pretty dammed good low post players (KAT-WCS)
Reason he didn't play this year with OKC is two-fold. One, that OKC has a nice center combo (Adams/Kanter).. Two, OKC is super-cheap and they don't like to spend money (see Josh huestues, 1st round pick, redshirted his Rookie year, to save OKC money.)

I say you approach OKC, say, he we will trade you Nick young (to replace Waiters who is a FA I believe)

I think he can be a great 5th best starter on a good team as a defensive plus center, who doesn't need much offensively.

Someone to keep an eye on. OKC has his rights, he is playing in the D-league for peanuts (compared to NBA money)

I don't think OKC is going to dump him just yet, but I would absolutely put him on the watch list.

I really like black as well, but I view him as more a backup hustle guy, and in no way project him as a starter. (nothing wrong with being an elite backup big off the bench.)

Again, Black is also 24, Johnson is 20
Also, I saw a front court with Randle/Johnson AT Kentucky. it looked nice, it did well

No reason he should have dropped so low, to 48
For example. The Celtics... passed on him 3 times.
28 for RJ hunter SG
33 for Jordan Mickey SF
45 PG Marcus Thornton PG

Considering a defensive center is kind of a need for them, I have no idea why they didn't pull the trigger (was also screaming for about 20 picks about why no one was drafting Norman Powell, then the bucks did (and I was SO excited, cause I was watching with my buddy who is a bucks fan, then they immediately trade Powell.) But sg/sf isn't a need for Boston, Center was, and they didn't draft it.

Its not like this is some guy from div III or some low level Euro league, he went to Kentucky, he played with really good players, vs good players.

There is going to be 20 teams calling Whiteside this summer, good to think of other low cost fall backs

Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#19 » by Spens1 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:50 pm

rsrii wrote:
Spens1 wrote:why?

Upshaw was let go...Failed drug test...

Dakari Johnson is no better than Robert Sacre. No need to trade #32 for him. Just pick a young center at #32 if need be (Hammons, Zizic, Cornelie, etc.).

dammit, he couldn't keep himself clean in an era where center's like him get ridiculous contracts
trevm37
Junior
And1: 215

Post#20 » by trevm37 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:34 am

I loved Dakari in college, and felt like he needed another year at Kentucky. Unfortunately with all the recruits going in and out, that wasn't possible. With Adams and Kanter, OKC will probably release him or accept a 2nd rounder for him. He isnt quite ready to play heavy minutes, but he'd be a good back of the rotation guy.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers