ImageImageImageImageImage

What if we pick Porzingis instead of DLO?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Re: What if we pick Porzingis instead of DLO? 

Post#41 » by Michael Lucky » Thu May 26, 2016 1:30 pm

So much Nick Young talk in here.........
KSOR24
Sophomore
And1: 61

Re: Re: What if we pick Porzingis instead of DLO? 

Post#42 » by KSOR24 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:34 pm

AcecardZ wrote:
Spens1 wrote:Porzingis wouldn't be as good as he is today, one of the main reasons he was that good is because he got a chance to develop in New York, i think Scott did hinder our whole roster

I couldn't disagree with this more.

Scott was dealt a bad hand from the very beginning and I thought did a reasonable job.

He had to play Kobe who was no longer playing at NBA starter level.

His starting center was Roy Hibbert. Imho the worst starting center in the NBA.

Russell was a 19 year old rookie.

Randle was returning from injury.

Clarkson was ok offensively but weak defensively.

When both Russell and Randle struggled out of the gate Scott did the best thing possible by demoting them to reserve roles. This allowed them to rest up a bit, reduced a little of the pressure they were under and allowed them to regain some confidence. I had no problem with this whatsoever.

Given what Scott had to work with he did fine and left us in the best position possible with us picking 2nd in the lottery.

Towards the end of the season both Russell and Randle appeared to be more confident and playing better.

I'm not sure what more we could have really hoped for given the roster we had. Maybe the #1 pick? Lol

Is the roster to blame for his archaic, uncreative offensive system?
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#43 » by Slava » Thu May 26, 2016 2:47 pm

Eh, Porzingis had an equally bad coaching set up with Fisher and Rambo. Atleast they got the directive from Phil to play the youngsters heavily mid way through the season and the senior players did well to bench themselves in favor of the younger dudes.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#44 » by ArC_man » Thu May 26, 2016 6:44 pm

AcecardZ wrote:
ArC_man wrote:Scott won 21 games in his 1st year. We upgraded the talent on the roster and stayed almost completely healthy but we managed to lose 4 more games?

When Roy Hibbert is your starting center and you play in the WC you're not going to win many games.

You expect a team starting Carlos Boozer and Ronnie Price to win more games than a team starting Roy Hibbert?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant
And1: 541

Post#45 » by AcecardZ » Thu May 26, 2016 7:22 pm

ArC_man wrote:
AcecardZ wrote:
ArC_man wrote:Scott won 21 games in his 1st year. We upgraded the talent on the roster and stayed almost completely healthy but we managed to lose 4 more games?

When Roy Hibbert is your starting center and you play in the WC you're not going to win many games.

You expect a team starting Carlos Boozer and Ronnie Price to win more games than a team starting Roy Hibbert.

Remove one crappy player, or two in your case, and replace them with another crappy player and guess what you still have?
Sometimes being wrong is awesome!!! :D
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by AcecardZ » Thu May 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Slava wrote:Eh, Porzingis had an equally bad coaching set up with Fisher and Rambo. Atleast they got the directive from Phil to play the youngsters heavily mid way through the season and the senior players did well to bench themselves in favor of the younger dudes.

One has to remember Scott, for better or worse, is pretty old school and came from a time where rookies didn't start or even play a lot of minutes. I thought he gave Russell and Randle plenty of opportunity to showcase their skills and gain experience without overplaying them risking injury or confidence.

Perhaps I'm going to easy on Scott but I have no reason to defend the guy. If I thought he did a terrible job I'd have no problem saying so. He not only had a terrible roster of players he had to deal with Kobe's last season and now the team is in far better shape than when he took it over. I really don't know what more people were hoping for?
Was winning ten more games that much more important? I hate losing as much as the next guy but we knew this was going to be a throwaway season before it even began.
Mirjalovic
Head Coach
And1: 1,780

Post#47 » by Mirjalovic » Fri May 27, 2016 12:28 am

danfantastk32 wrote:Sometimes I kinda wish we could go back in time, and replace Byron with the coach of anyone's choosing. Just so people could understand what a dismal deal he had.

Did he squeeze the best out of them? Hardly. But you coulda squeezed last years team till they were dry, and I doubt you had 25-30 wins.

MDA would be better and i wouldn't surprise if D'Lo contend for ROY.

Its not about the record, but how he use/treat Randle, Russell, Clarkson, Black, Nance and Anthony Brown. We need them to be put into the right position to succeed, and Byron is not that guy.
shawn_hemp wrote: a guy who is far worse than Robert Covington in Brandon Ingram, and a guy who is no better than TJ McConnell or Tony Wroten in D'Angelo Russell.

Sixers fans...

AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#48 » by AcecardZ » Fri May 27, 2016 12:44 am

AcecardZ wrote:
Slava wrote:Eh, Porzingis had an equally bad coaching set up with Fisher and Rambo. Atleast they got the directive from Phil to play the youngsters heavily mid way through the season and the senior players did well to bench themselves in favor of the younger dudes.

One has to remember Scott, for better or worse, is pretty old school and came from a time where rookies didn't start or even play a lot of minutes. I thought he gave Russell and Randle plenty of opportunity to showcase their skills and gain experience without overplaying them risking injury or confidence.

Perhaps I'm going too easy on Scott but I have no reason to defend the guy. If I thought he did a terrible job I'd have no problem saying so. He not only had a terrible roster of players he had to deal with Kobe's last season and now the team is in far better shape than when he took it over. I really don't know what more people were hoping for?
Was winning ten more games that much more important? I hate losing as much as the next guy but we knew this was going to be a throwaway season before it even began.
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by AcecardZ » Fri May 27, 2016 12:54 am

Porzingis played the same number of minutes per game as both Randle and Russell. 28 mins per game for all three.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,447

Post#50 » by Slava » Fri May 27, 2016 1:22 am

AcecardZ wrote:

Porzingis played the same number of minutes per game as both Randle and Russell. 28 mins per game for all three.

Yeah but unlike Byron's crappy rotations of Russell, Porzingis played most of his minutes with the starters and regularly closed out games.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#51 » by AcecardZ » Fri May 27, 2016 1:28 am

Slava wrote:
AcecardZ wrote:

Yeah but unlike Byron's crappy rotations of Russell, Porzingis played most of his minutes with the starters and regularly closed out games.

Starters? We didn't have no stinkin' starters! :(
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,870

Post#52 » by LakersLegacy » Fri May 27, 2016 6:07 am

If we took Porzingis then the 76ers would have the 1st and 5th pick. Porzingis would have helped us win just enough games to keep us out of the top 3 pick so...
Worst_to_First
RealGM
And1: 8,341

Post#53 » by Worst_to_First » Fri May 27, 2016 2:18 pm

LakersLegacy wrote:If we took Porzingis then the 76ers would have the 1st and 5th pick. Porzingis would have helped us win just enough games to keep us out of the top 3 pick so...

I'm really glad that things worked out for both our franchises. Especially without having our draft pick this year, it would have been terrible coming out of our 17-win season with a dud.

I still think DLO improves though. If I'm not mistaken, Harden made huge leaps from his first to second and to third year in the league.

Good luck in the draft and I hope you guys come out with whoever will be better for your team.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#54 » by Kilroy » Fri May 27, 2016 3:37 pm

Porzingis clearly had a better season than Russell... He also clearly had a more defined role. But that's also a symptom of Russell being a tweener more than just Scott...
Russell would seem to have a higher ceiling. But Porzi seems more capable of contributing consistently, right now.

So with Porzi, maybe we win a few more games and don't have the chance to pick in this draft, ultimately capping our potential.

This is the draft when we need a Porzi.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
SashaTheMachine
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#55 » by SashaTheMachine » Fri May 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Slava wrote:If you wish to engage in a dick measuring contest, I'll save you the trouble of making wrong assumptions and let you know I have a Masters Degree in Engineering in the US

mandingo!
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#56 » by RingsDontLie » Sat May 28, 2016 4:24 am

I think either pick is great. Porzingis is good, but DLo fits the laker mold better. And it's a PG driven league. The top 2 teams in the west have the top 2 guards. Think about it. Getting a possible superstar PG was the right move. And I think Russell is going to make amazing strides with Luke Walton.
ArC_man
Veteran
And1: 910

Post#57 » by ArC_man » Sat May 28, 2016 4:53 am

AcecardZ wrote:
ArC_man wrote:
AcecardZ wrote:

You expect a team starting Carlos Boozer and Ronnie Price to win more games than a team starting Roy Hibbert.

Remove one crappy player, or two in your case, and replace them with another crappy player and guess what you still have?

A better team.
dham1974
Assistant Coach
And1: 65

Post#58 » by dham1974 » Sat May 28, 2016 8:30 pm

thegamefritz wrote:I often think about this. Do not misconstrue me, I'm satisfied with DLO, I got faith on him but would we be in better position now if we got Porzingis instead.

The money we got and then we got the # 2 pick which we could use for Kris Dunn OR Ingram instead.
Dunn would definitely be a an allstar. Then we hired Luke that would really fit with Porzingis' game. Now that said, we could have a line up of

C-Porzingis
PF-Randle
SF- Ingram
SG-DeRozan
PG-Clarkson
or

C-Porzingis
PF-Randle
SF- Free agent (Derozan, Barnes)
SG-Clarkson
PG-Dunn

1) Byron wouldn't have played him and he would have been an unknown 2! DLO is still the better player

AcecardZ
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by AcecardZ » Sat May 28, 2016 9:34 pm

It's not easy going from college or Europe to the NBA. The NBA schedule is grueling. A team can't just draft a 19 year old and expect him to play 35 minutes a game for 82 games. That's a good way to wear a guy out, hurt his confidence, cause injury or all three.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#60 » by Vae Victus » Sat May 28, 2016 9:46 pm

It's still too early to tell how good these rookies will be, but goddamn i gotta say im impressed by Porzingis tools. He's so damn fluid, long, and have a damn nice set of moves to match. He cant quite finish yet, still scrawny, and his outside shooting still needs polish but he's got the makings of a GREAT player once he irons them out.

We likely look alot better in that Porzingis fits with both Simmons/Ingram seamlessly. Simmons can be a point SF where Porzingis's own outside shooting can offset Simmons lack of, and Ingram plays the traditional 3.

Regardless, DLo is what we got and we need to focus on what will make him a better PG.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers