F
1%

Total votes: 146

lake_show
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Re: OFFICIAL IVICA ZUBAC THREAD 

Post#201 » by lake_show » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:38 pm

I was wondering why Zubac hadn't been assigned to the D-League yet (So he can get some live in-game action). Turns out the D-League season started while we were on the Road (Nov 11th. We started our road trip Nov 10th).

The D-Fenders have only played 2 games since the start of their season. Both the Lakers and the D-Fenders are home for a while so we should start seeing Zubac on the D-Fenders soon. Next D-Fenders game is Thursday, Nov 17th. Lakers are off that day.

D-League Side Note: For anyone interested, both Travis Wear, and Julian Jacobs are on the D-Fenders now. No Zache Aguste tho. Not sure where he ended up. Anthony Brown got drafted #1 overall in the NBA D-League draft after we waived him, and dropped 38pts, 7rbs, and 6asts in his first game with the Erie Bay Hawks.
Talking about how bad Julius Randle is:
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#202 » by Landsberger » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:06 am

The D League isn't a true "minor league" like in Baseball. Andrew Gloudlelock was the D-league MVP and couldn't do squat in the NBA. Not a small jump from there to here. Brown isn't an NBA player if can't make a 17 win team.

I hope Zubac doesn't get injured down there. It's more like a "Y-Ball" game most of the time down there.
dipstick
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#203 » by dipstick » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:29 am

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/161116-zubac-assigned-to-d-fenders

So the inevitable has been done. Going to see action in the d-league.
lake_show
Sixth Man

Post#204 » by lake_show » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:30 am

Landsberger wrote:The D League isn't a true "minor league" like in Baseball. Andrew Gloudlelock was the D-league MVP and couldn't do squat in the NBA. Not a small jump from there to here. Brown isn't an NBA player if can't make a 17 win team.

I hope Zubac doesn't get injured down there. It's more like a "Y-Ball" game most of the time down there.

He wasn't trying to "make a 17 win team". He was trying to make this team. Which is not a "17 win team". He was started games for that "17 win team" last year.
DEEP3CL wrote:... When dudes know ball we're just going to call out what we see period.
lake_show
Sixth Man

Post#205 » by lake_show » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:32 am

dipstick wrote:http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/161116-zubac-assigned-to-d-fenders

So the inevitable has been done. Going to see action in the d-league.

Good to hear. This playing in the D-League will help get him some confidence and get him into game shape. The few times he's played he's looked pretty tentative out there. Hopefully this gets him going.
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#206 » by BEazy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:24 am

Playing D-League games did wonders for Jordan Clarkson, so playing with the D-Fenders will help Zubac for sure.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#207 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:25 am

I think it will be good for him. He can get called up for real games as often as they want for the first few years of his Career...so no issue there. Hopefully they run sets that will familiarize him with what we're doing.

The trick is to call him up and throw him in games here and there. Give him some stuff to think about, and work on in the D-League. I'd like to see them bring him up for a quarter or so every 4th game...something like that.
deargodno
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#208 » by deargodno » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:51 pm

BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#209 » by BEazy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:39 pm

Lol, Mitch and Jim probably like this kid is not a d-league scrub, bring him back to the pros!

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
lake_show
Sixth Man

Post#210 » by lake_show » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:14 pm

ScHoolBoy B wrote:Lol, Mitch and Jim probably like this kid is not a d-league scrub, bring him back to the pros!

Nope. They brought him back so he can be available if they need him for tonight's game.

He'll probably spend most of the season going back and forth.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#211 » by Landsberger » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:46 pm

lake_show wrote:
Landsberger wrote:The D League isn't a true "minor league" like in Baseball. Andrew Gloudlelock was the D-league MVP and couldn't do squat in the NBA. Not a small jump from there to here. Brown isn't an NBA player if can't make a 17 win team.

He wasn't trying to "make a 17 win team". He was trying to make this team. Which is not a "17 win team". He was started games for that "17 win team" last year.

OK.... he's trying to make the to be league champion 2016-17 Lakers. That fit your narrative better?

How about this? If we had a 25 win team last year with even league average talent on the bench Brown would not have made that team. Just because he was drafted by the Lakers doesn't mean he belongs in the league. He didn't progress against this level talent one bit in a year and it showed in Summer league and pre-season.
lake_show
Sixth Man

Post#212 » by lake_show » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:35 pm

Landsberger wrote:
lake_show wrote:

OK.... he's trying to make the to be league champion 2016-17 Lakers. That fit your narrative better?

How about this? If we had a 25 win team last year with even league average talent on the bench Brown would not have made that team. Just because he was drafted by the Lakers doesn't mean he belongs in the league. He didn't progress against this level talent one bit in a year and it showed in Summer league and pre-season.

Sure. lol

Read on Twitter
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#213 » by Landsberger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:43 pm

lake_show wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
lake_show wrote:

Sure. lol

Read on Twitter

Yup.... last spot on the worst team in the league. He's not NBA talent. 1/3 of that roster isn't either.

By your logic our coaching staff blew it and let a great future player go. I thought you were a supporter of the staff.
lake_show
Sixth Man

Post#214 » by lake_show » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:46 pm

Landsberger wrote:
lake_show wrote:
Landsberger wrote:

Sure. lol

Read on Twitter

Yup.... last spot on the worst team in the league. He's not NBA talent. 1/3 of that roster isn't either.

By your logic our coaching staff blew it and let a great future player go. I thought you were a supporter of the staff.

That's my logic huh? lol... ok.

"The league champion 2016-17 Lakers", and the "great future player" Anthony Brown. Sure. lol. My logic. Yeah, we'll go with that.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#215 » by Landsberger » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:50 pm

lake_show wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
lake_show wrote:
Sure. lol

Read on Twitter

That's my logic huh? lol... ok.

"The league champion 2016-17 Lakers", and the "great future player" Anthony Brown. Sure. lol. My logic. Yeah, we'll go with that.

Works for me.... oh.... I forgot.... lol....
lake_show
Sixth Man

Post#216 » by lake_show » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:41 am

Landsberger
General Manager

Post#217 » by Landsberger » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:48 pm

His second game is up as well. He has a monster first quarter against some pretty feeble competition. Not sure how much he's going to grow against that level of competition.

The good stuff was that he drained a 3 and a 20 footer without hesitation. He's moving very well and really has a feel for the game that is very unusual for a 19 year old.
TheTrooper
Senior
And1: 550

Post#218 » by TheTrooper » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:26 pm

Landsberger wrote:His second game is up as well. He has a monster first quarter against some pretty feeble competition. Not sure how much he's going to grow against that level of competition.

The good stuff was that he drained a 3 and a 20 footer without hesitation. He's moving very well and really has a feel for the game that is very unusual for a 19 year old.

He needs all the play time he can get. Better to play in the d-league, get more confident, practice some moves than to wave towels on the bench.
Landsberger
General Manager

Post#219 » by Landsberger » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:48 pm

Just watched last nights game. Zubac, when he gets the ball, is pretty much dominating anyone in that league. It's pretty impressive for a 19 year old kid.

As for getting minutes.... the level of competition in the D league is most likely less than just about any Euro-league team so he's taking a step backward in competitive play IMHO. Anyone just outside of NBA talent goes to Europe for $$ rather than staying here in the D-leauge. He's playing against 6-9 "tweener" forwards right now..... not sure how much growth he can truly get other than conditioning down there. To grow you need to do it against superior competition.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#220 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:02 pm

Love how it looks like a high school game at the gym. Sheesh, I remember bigger crowds in HS, come to think of it.

I think that D-league is ultimately good for him to keep in shape....see/read defenses...make shots, and all that good stuff. BUT, you need to bring him up regularly...or else he's just wasting away with sub-par competition. If I'm Luke, I'd get him in for like half a quarter every home game. Maybe the last 3 minutes of the first, and a good 5-6 minutes into the 2nd quarter.

He needs minutes and to keep his skills sharp, which the D-league will do. But to develop...the guy needs to get on the floor in real games.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers