ImageImageImageImageImage

The importance of picking a superstar in the next draft

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: The importance of picking a superstar in the next draft 

Post#41 » by Landsberger » Wed Feb 1, 2017 5:01 pm

Michael Lucky wrote:Obviously the plan quickly changed from contending now to contending in 4-5 years (for good reason). The only option right now is to build through the draft.

I'm not sure it's the only option. Either our players have value or they don't. If they will be contending in 4 to 5 years then they must have value and there is a market for them. If there isn't a market for them then we won't be contending in 4 to 5 years.

I don't see a complementary team of youngsters out there. I think to get to contention again there will need to be turnover of 2/3 of this team at least.
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#42 » by slifersd » Wed Feb 1, 2017 5:34 pm

dockingsched wrote:So the path you want to take is to sign a good player that is going to have a completely unexpected jump into the perennial all star tier, sounds easy enough to replicate, not sure why every team doesn't do that.

No, I am only using Thomas as an example. My point is that we should start aiming to build a team to win, by any means necessary, be it free agency, trades or the draft. I don't think it is a good plan to just put all our eggs in the draft basket considering the inherent risk associated with it. We keep complaining about not being attractive to free agents, but never took the chance to upgrade our roster when we had the chance with second or even third tier free agents. As a result, after four years of total garbage on court, what we have is a team that has some young pieces and still isn't attractive one bit to the free agents. This rebuilding job isn't like the one we had in the 90s. This needed to be a bottoms up, one brick at a time type of rebuild. As such, we need to accumulate as much talent as we can, by any means necessary, not just put all our hopes on the next draft pick being the guy who will lead us to glory.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#43 » by dockingsched » Wed Feb 1, 2017 7:06 pm

slifersd wrote:
dockingsched wrote:So the path you want to take is to sign a good player that is going to have a completely unexpected jump into the perennial all star tier, sounds easy enough to replicate, not sure why every team doesn't do that.

No, I am only using Thomas as an example. My point is that we should start aiming to build a team to win, by any means necessary, be it free agency, trades or the draft. I don't think it is a good plan to just put all our eggs in the draft basket considering the inherent risk associated with it. We keep complaining about not being attractive to free agents, but never took the chance to upgrade our roster when we had the chance with second or even third tier free agents. As a result, after four years of total garbage on court, what we have is a team that has some young pieces and still isn't attractive one bit to the free agents. This rebuilding job isn't like the one we had in the 90s. This needed to be a bottoms up, one brick at a time type of rebuild. As such, we need to accumulate as much talent as we can, by any means necessary, not just put all our hopes on the next draft pick being the guy who will lead us to glory.

Think you're completely forgetting that this approach you're asking for is what resulted in signing Mozgov and Deng
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
slifersd
Analyst
And1: 210

Post#44 » by slifersd » Wed Feb 1, 2017 11:29 pm

dockingsched wrote:
slifersd wrote:

Think you're completely forgetting that this approach you're asking for is what resulted in signing Mozgov and Deng

No disrespect, but I think your world is a little too black and white. My idea is certainly that we should pursue channels other than draft to improve, but the execution still has to be there. We should definitely sign free agents, but free agency contains more than just superstars and hot garbage. The second and third tier guys don't refer to the old, useless bodies such as Deng and Moz. Take last year's free agency, for example, Willie Reed and James Johnson would've been handy on this team; Trevor Booker turned out to be a damn solid player; Dion Waiters is doing well; Dwight Howard is having a resurgent year. Not saying all these players would've been good fit on this team, just that opportunities are out there for teams willing to invest. In layman's terms, I am saying you should get a girlfriend, not go and date the cheapest girl you can find.
Vesper
Junior
And1: 66

Post#45 » by Vesper » Thu Feb 2, 2017 4:20 am

I wouldnt be surprised if JJ was the first pick this summer....

With Fultz most likely not making the tournament, Kansas and JJ have a great chance to make a championship run this year.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#46 » by Kilroy » Thu Feb 2, 2017 4:29 am

I think in this day and CBA, successful teams don't place arbitrary deadlines on their own success. You have to be patient look to take reasonable risks while amassing prospects and cap flexibility with the hope that the RIGHT deal manifests itself.
But you have to be willing to pass on the WRONG deal.
So while it may look like time is running out for this org and these kids, I think that's largely arbitrary. None of these kids is the player they're going to be known for in their career yet. Russell, Randle, Ingram, Nance, Zubac have all shown flashes of brilliance this season and more importantly, flashes that they can be brilliant together. I think in a season like this it's not reasonable to go all-in on a specific concept or idea.
Of course, if the right player came along and we found ourselves with a way to land them, nobody is off limits...

But that means, you don't really put too much pressure on yourselves to land the next MJ in every draft. You have to be realistic and explore all your options.

This actually may be a really good year to trade our pick if we by some miracle get to keep it.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#47 » by RingsDontLie » Thu Feb 2, 2017 8:36 am

Danny Darko wrote:I don't think the Ingram points are completely fair if you look at some other young guys who were still growing into their body like Greek Freak, Jermaine O'Neal, etc...

I don't think a guys goes from shooting so well in college to not being a shooter. He'll be fine, he just has to get stronger... I don't know if he'll be a superstar but he's a top 2 on a talented team guy for sure and they are underplaying what a nice suprise his all around savvy and defensive effort has been. He's a couple split seconds away from a bunch of blocks a game. You can see that when he gets a little more explosive, he'll reach tons of the ones people are just barely getting past him.

I have Ingram is the untradeable one of the young guys.

I'd put D'angelo and Randle on the untradeable list too. Randle has been a beast and has had great stats this season in a lot of games. And The Lakers flow better with Russell on the floor, and dramatically improve when he is in the game. He is at the right spot as the PG. I feel we need to trade Clarkson at this point. He is a bit too one dimensional like Nick Young, but at least Nick Young can go bonkers on the offensive end, and even has improved defensively. Surely we can lure something for Clarkson at this point.

Ingram is untradeable, but he's also a huge disappointment right now. I'm hoping we look back at this and laugh at it if he becomes an all star or superstar. Kobe's numbers weren't great his first season either and he was the same age as Ingram or even younger possibly. So there is that fact.

Only thing I appreciate is Luke letting this kid play in his 1st season and get more minutes. That's the only way he is going to improve at this level.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#48 » by john248 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 11:25 pm

Our players are untradeable? Why?
The Last Word
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#49 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Feb 3, 2017 7:16 am

I would take Monk over Ball right now. Monk shooting is that good. Defense needs some work still.
Princeinrevolt
Rookie
And1: 529

The importance of picking a superstar in the next draft 

Post#50 » by Princeinrevolt » Sat Feb 4, 2017 3:01 am

Ballerhogger wrote:I would take Monk over Ball right now. Monk shooting is that good. Defense needs some work still.

a 6' 4 shooting guard... who cant play defense... thats all right we have lou williams and jordan clarkson... I'd take Josh Jackson over anyone except fultz

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Vesper
Junior

Post#51 » by Vesper » Sat Feb 4, 2017 3:31 am

I was thinking about Jackson and his floor would be Marcus Smart, which wouldn't be bad at all for Russ and the Lakers....
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#52 » by TyCobb » Sat Feb 4, 2017 4:25 am

I'll take Markkanen over Monk if we're going just for shooting.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Vesper
Junior

Post#53 » by Vesper » Sat Feb 4, 2017 6:39 pm

Fultz vs Ball is on tonight. I wanna see Ball defend Fultz.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#54 » by LakersLegacy » Mon Feb 6, 2017 5:23 am

The Lakers will have to make a Divac esc trade to land a superstar because of salary. I hope Mosgov or Deng could be traded but it would take an asset to move them.

We need to get a pick if possible. And we need our young guys to develop and show the league what Magic said. That we have everything except a superstar. Our young guys can be be great role players. We just need another Kobe.
RingsDontLie
Veteran
And1: 1,359

Post#55 » by RingsDontLie » Tue Feb 7, 2017 10:26 am

john248 wrote:Our players are untradeable? Why?

Outside of a superstar like Paul George I'm not trading our recent top picks or Zubac. Clarkson, Young, Lou Williams, etc. is someone I'd look to trade. Mozgov size is always going to be useful, so keep him around until/if zubac establishes himself.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#56 » by Landsberger » Tue Feb 7, 2017 5:07 pm

Paul George a super star? A star, yes but a super star. Different definitions I guess. Superstars usually number 2 or 3 in a generation and I don't see Paul George, even as good as he is, as one of those players.

I'd trade anyone on the team in a NY minute if it makes us better. I'd put Ingram and Zubac low on that list until we see a little more but the rest are all tradable in the right deal.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#57 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Feb 7, 2017 9:54 pm

No one is untradable besides a player with a no-trade clause. But I think young prospects like DLO or Ingram don't typically get moved unless their original teams are basically giving up on them. None of the young Lakers have absolutely jumped out yet as obvious future stars either, so their return is not going to be as good as you might want.

The exception is Clarkson, who has significantly outplayed his draft position, so the return would be obviously be better than getting the same 2nd round draft pick in a future draft.
john248
Starter
And1: 651

Post#58 » by john248 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 3:24 am

RingsDontLie wrote:

Outside of a superstar like Paul George I'm not trading our recent top picks or Zubac. Clarkson, Young, Lou Williams, etc. is someone I'd look to trade. Mozgov size is always going to be useful, so keep him around until/if zubac establishes himself.

Well you just contradicted yourself. You would trade for someone like Paul George, hence these players are indeed tradeable. Keeping Mozgov and his salary cap hell contract is beyond foolish.
The Last Word
dontforget
Senior
And1: 440

Post#59 » by dontforget » Wed Feb 8, 2017 9:13 pm

1) People are writing off Ingram waaaay to quickly. Everyone knew his lack of strength would be a huge limitation, and I’m not surprise of his struggles. To me he still has superstar potential.

2) If Lakers keep their pick, you don't have to find the next superstar in the draft. A trade might be useful here. On a roster full of very young guys, would a trade for Butler be inciting? Obviously, it's all about the right price but that's a toxic situation in Chicago and he can be had. Butler while not an elite superstar, he is a borderline top 10 guy. His offense is really good, and his defense is shut-down elite. Pairing him next to Russell, Ingram, Randle/Nance and potentially Zubac would make this a fun an potentially lethal starting 5 as they grow together.

3) A companion move to adding Butler would making a play in FA. Blake Griffin is a guy while yes has its risks, the rewards would outweigh it greatly.

Starting lineup of:
Russell
Butler
Ingram
Griffen
Zubac

Also, if they want to go small they could go with:
Russell
Lou Will
Ingram
Butler
Griffin

Or if you want more defense:
Russell
Butler
Ingram
Deng
Griffin

That could give some elite teams a run for their money. But I know, reality….it’s not likely, but hey it’s a message board.
Vesper
Junior

Post#60 » by Vesper » Wed Feb 8, 2017 11:39 pm

As A SF, i don't think Ingram will become elite...

As a PF, he has a better chance. As a guard, its just a waste of time.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers