ImageImageImageImageImage

Brandon Ingram Height

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Brandon Ingram Height 

Post#1 » by Penberthy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:14 pm

Random question: Did he grow taller since we drafted him?
driver
Junior
And1: 60

Re: Brandon Ingram Height 

Post#2 » by driver » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:18 pm

Most likely has but honestly, I don't want him going to 7 (of course your body can't control that).
I think if he gets too tall, you start running into the stuff KD has. The body just can't take being that tall, lean, etc. Too much pressure on the legs and feet.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,513

Post#3 » by Michael Lucky » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Best way to answer that question would be to find a picture of him standing next to Randle who's listed at 6 feet 9.
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#4 » by milesfides » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 pm

Important thing is Ingram's standing reach and wingspan, which measures up to traditional power forwards and centers. Very comparable to Karl Anthony Towns and Anthony Davis - in fact, his standing reach is heigher than either.

It's actually better to be a bit shorter but play bigger due to length, because there is somewhat of an agility penalty and higher risk of injury.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#5 » by Penberthy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:03 pm

great answer miles.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#6 » by Kilroy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:07 am

KD once said he's actually closer to 7' but doesn't want to broadcast it because being that tall limits him... If he was a '7'er' sooner or later people would be trying to play him at C, and he doesn't want that, because it would hide his skills...

Ingram looks a lot taller than 6'9" to me, but any taller than that at this stage in his career would probably force him out of his position of advantage... He can guard 3s, and he's most effective against 3s, so if he has to sell himself a couple inches short to stay in that position, who cares?
When he's got 6 years or so under his belt, he can accept it and tell people who want him to play in the paint, to pound sand... But for now, I think it's smart for him to stay claiming 6'8" or 6'9"...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#7 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:08 am

Kilroy wrote:KD once said he's actually closer to 7' but doesn't want to broadcast it because being that tall limits him... If he was a '7'er' sooner or later people would be trying to play him at C, and he doesn't want that, because it would hide his skills...

Ingram looks a lot taller than 6'9" to me, but any taller than that at this stage in his career would probably force him out of his position of advantage... He can guard 3s, and he's most effective against 3s, so if he has to sell himself a couple inches short to stay in that position, who cares?
When he's got 6 years or so under his belt, he can accept it and tell people who want him to play in the paint, to pound sand... But for now, I think it's smart for him to stay claiming 6'8" or 6'9"...

That or carry around a scale...and he can hop on and show everyone his weight when they start talking PF.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#8 » by ALL HAIL » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Kilroy wrote:KD once said he's actually closer to 7' but doesn't want to broadcast it because being that tall limits him... If he was a '7'er' sooner or later people would be trying to play him at C, and he doesn't want that, because it would hide his skills...

First of all, Durant is a pussy for not wanting to play center . . . Aldridge and Garnett too.

Secondly, power forwards don't play in the paint anymore dude. Where you been?
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#9 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:38 pm

I think players should not play positions based on their height. They should play positions based on their skills. Right now I can see Ingram as a 2/3. If he can be a 4 in the future that's fine too. But at this point he is not a PF. Maybe after a decade when his body is already fully developed and when the time comes when he is already old and slow to defend opposing 3s that's when you try him at PF.
iQon
Senior
And1: 168

Post#10 » by iQon » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:42 pm

dAdo dA dEvil wrote:I think players should not play positions based on their height. They should play positions based on their skills. Right now I can see Ingram as a 2/3. If he can be a 4 in the future that's fine too. But at this point he is not a PF. Maybe after a decade when his body is already fully developed and when the time comes when he is already old and slow to defend opposing 3s that's when you try him at PF.

You're right, but the league is already doing this. Porzingis is a 7'3" PF. Giannis is a 7'0" SF. Draymond is a 6'7" PF.

I'm sure Luke will place Ingram where he fits.
ALL HAIL
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,213

Post#11 » by ALL HAIL » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:46 pm

dAdo dA dEvil wrote:I think players should not play positions based on their height. They should play positions based on their skills. Right now I can see Ingram as a 2/3. If he can be a 4 in the future that's fine too. But at this point he is not a PF. Maybe after a decade when his body is already fully developed and when the time comes when he is already old and slow to defend opposing 3s that's when you try him at PF.

And what are PF "skills" these days?

Look around. Crowder's the PF for the Celtics in the playoffs (sometimes even Smart). DeMarre Carroll started at PF last night for the Raptors. Miritic is the Bulls' starting four. Ilyasova and Thad Young were playoff starters at PF.

Does Ryan Anderson exhibit PF "skills"?
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#12 » by iamworthy » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:32 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:

Ideally a guy that can provide rim protection on defense and spread the floor on offense? Serge ibaka comes to mind. :dontknow:
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#13 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:05 pm

ALL HAIL wrote:

Look around. Crowder's the PF for the Celtics in the playoffs (sometimes even Smart). DeMarre Carroll started at PF last night for the Raptors. Miritic is the Bulls' starting four. Ilyasova and Thad Young were playoff starters at PF.

Does Ryan Anderson exhibit PF "skills"?

It depends on what kind of PF you want for your team. I assume you have the stretch 4 in your mind thus you mentioned these players. I prefer PFs who can bang it inside. The one that can grab a lot of rebounds and reliable in the post. A player that is strong.

I like Ingram a lot but right now Ingram is neither a stretch 4 nor a banger. With the way he shot this season I don't know if you would consider him a stretch 4. And obviously he is not strong enough yet to bang it inside too. So I say maybe in the future. Sure he has the height to be a PF so wait in the future if he improves his shooting then consider him to be a stretch 4 or if his body fills up maybe he could be a banger 4.

Right now it's best to use Ingram as a 2 or 3 so you could take advantage of his height and length.
enriquecruz8519
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#14 » by enriquecruz8519 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:29 pm

True, I kind of feel the same.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#15 » by Landsberger » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:39 pm

Who knows about heights in the NBA? Magic standing next to Ingram is shorter. Kuzma and Ingram are even in most photos I've seen and Randle looked a few inches shorter. Each has been listed at 6'-9"
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#16 » by stan francisco » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:47 pm

Brandon Mantis Ingram has a wingspan of about 15’9” and has the defensive anticipatory skills to make good use of it. How he reads, anticipates and works hard on that end is his biggest asset.

The combo of those two things (length/talent for d) makes him a tremendous road block to get by. He’s seemingly never out of a play. That’s extremely annoying for the opponent.

Lonzo is a DPOY candidate when healthy. So is Ingram. So is Klay and Leonard.

From a defensive looking glass, this threesome is a world class lineup:
PG: Ball
SG: Leonard or Klay
SF: Ingram

Add...

PF: Kuzma
C: AD (trade LBJ)

... to those three and call it a day. Any coach could take us to the playoffs with that starting five, assuming health.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers