I can’t wait for the Lakers to sign D’Lo

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,309

I can’t wait for the Lakers to sign D’Lo 

Post#1 » by tamaraw08 » Sun Mar 5, 2023 6:00 pm

So they can trade him and get better.
Pretty much Every team that traded him got better except for the Nets who missed KD the whole year and Kyrie for 60 games.
Lakers 30th in DRTG with him then became 12th best after they got rid of him.
GSW missing so much firepower from KD AND Steph decided to get rid of him after 33 games in favor of underachieving and overpriced Wiggins. Won a ring after 2 seasons.
Minnie now on 3 game winning streak.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,113

Re: I can’t wait for the Lakers to sign D’Lo 

Post#2 » by JB2 » Sun Mar 5, 2023 6:06 pm

Kinda weird given yesterday you said:

That was pathetic Disappointing result for a winnable game, but I like how the team played, energy/effort wise. We need DLO back ASAP....too many dry spells offensively All eyes should be on D’Lo now, he was able to jog and run for a couple of minutes after that tweak then boom he’s out for a week?
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,783

Post#3 » by VanWest82 » Sun Mar 5, 2023 6:18 pm

Until it doesn't happen, I'll be convinced that Lebron and Kyrie have a handshake deal for him to force his way to LA in the summer with a new DLo contract being the main piece going back to Mavs...followed by Cuban losing his mind and convincing all the owners to go back on whatever deal they're about to sign with NBAPA
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,156

Post#4 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Mar 5, 2023 6:34 pm

D'Lo can play. He just had bad chemistry in Minny.

Conley's chemistry is much better.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the playoffs without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#5 » by tamaraw08 » Sun Mar 5, 2023 8:17 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:D'Lo can play. He just had bad chemistry in Minny.

How about with the Lakers his first 2 years?
GSW loses KD AND Steph and desperately need firepower and after 33 games they said F it were shipping him for an overpriced underachiever.
Minnie then trades him for a 37 old.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#6 » by urinesane » Sun Mar 5, 2023 8:46 pm

He can play, but HE WAS the bad chemistry in MN FYI.

The Wolves team looks completely different without his aloof/lazy turnovers. Unless his shot is falling DLO is a pretty big negative (and he really messes with the offensive flow and needs to be hidden on defense). He was an offensive boost (and pretty important at times in that way), but it's been so refreshing seeing that they can spread that offensive load around and not have to make up for his poor defense and lazy turnovers.

The biggest issue going forward is that he thinks of himself as an alpha and wants more money than his production/role is worth. He is not a top 3 guy on a contending team. If he were filling more of a Beasley role (and making similar money) he would make more sense, otherwise he just isn't capable of contributing to winning in a way that justifies the pay he believes he deserves.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#7 » by stan francisco » Wed Mar 8, 2023 2:11 am

urinesane wrote:

He can play, but HE WAS the bad chemistry in MN FYI.

The Wolves team looks completely different without his aloof/lazy turnovers. Unless his shot is falling DLO is a pretty big negative (and he really messes with the offensive flow and needs to be hidden on defense). He was an offensive boost (and pretty important at times in that way), but it's been so refreshing seeing that they can spread that offensive load around and not have to make up for his poor defense and lazy turnovers.

The biggest issue going forward is that he thinks of himself as an alpha and wants more money than his production/role is worth. He is not a top 3 guy on a contending team. If he were filling more of a Beasley role (and making similar money) he would make more sense, otherwise he just isn't capable of contributing to winning in a way that justifies the pay he believes he deserves.

This has been true for ice veins from day one. He thinks he’s all that based on his talent, but doesn’t do the dirty dog work on defense. I want him gone ASAP in the off-season.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
fteru6uhre54ew
Rookie
And1: 645

Post#8 » by fteru6uhre54ew » Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:28 pm

I'm with you in this. And if Pelinka is a little bit smart and learnt from the Russel Westbrook trade he should be doing it and take a real solid starting guard or All Star the next season at once.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,235

Post#9 » by Kilroy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:50 pm

I think Vanderbilt and Beasley are higher priorities... DLo I think would be up there too, if it wasn't for the money he's going to be asking and the high risk of creating an untradeable asset out of him if we pay it... I think we'll let him walk... We have LeBron and AD coming up to think about too...
I think a rotation of Beasley, Brown, Reaves and Schroder makes Dlo kind of expendable... Reaves and Schroder are better ball handlers and defenders... Beasley and Brown are better defenders and similar shooters...

I mean sure, it'd be great to keep him, but it's hard to rely on him and he's going to be getting a Max contract from somewhere... I just don't think he's worth it.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#10 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:05 pm

Kilroy wrote:I think Vanderbilt and Beasley are higher priorities... DLo I think would be up there too, if it wasn't for the money he's going to be asking and the high risk of creating an untradeable asset out of him if we pay it... I think we'll let him walk... We have LeBron and AD coming up to think about too...
I think a rotation of Beasley, Brown, Reaves and Schroder makes Dlo kind of expendable... Reaves and Schroder are better ball handlers and defenders... Beasley and Brown are better defenders and similar shooters...

I mean sure, it'd be great to keep him, but it's hard to rely on him and he's going to be getting a Max contract from somewhere... I just don't think he's worth it.

I am betting D’Lo would be doing everything he can to to help the Lakers win including showing great defensive intensity, attacking the lanes to get FTs etc etc so he can get the Max, the question is would Rob bite and trust this guy especially after he signed the contract?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#11 » by Kilroy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:13 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I think Vanderbilt and Beasley are higher priorities... DLo I think would be up there too, if it wasn't for the money he's going to be asking and the high risk of creating an untradeable asset out of him if we pay it... I think we'll let him walk... We have LeBron and AD coming up to think about too...

I am betting D’Lo would be doing everything he can to to help the Lakers win including showing great defensive intensity, attacking the lanes to get FTs etc etc so he can get the Max, the question is would Rob bite and trust this guy especially after he signed the contract?

He will try at first, but as you can see even in the NY game, he's not naturally defensively-minded, and his D slips for plays. He has to force himself to stay focused on that end of the floor... He's much happier just launching open 3s and gunning for glory that way...

It's going to be a challenge for him. I doubt he stays consistent at it and my gut tells me, by the time our playoff run is over, a lot of people will have soured on the idea of paying DLO his asking price. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it...
One Love
Starter
And1: 290

Post#12 » by One Love » Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:34 pm

It will come down to off season priorities and salary... Vandy is under contract... FO has to feel Reaves is the top priority...

1. Reaves: Can't lose a better Caruso - 4 years at $48 million.
2. DiAngelo: NBA starter. 3 years & $75 million.
3. Schroder: Great backup PG. 3 years & $30 million.
4. Brown: MLE. Played for Vet Min.
5. Gabriel: Great backup big. 3 years at $12 million.

PG: DiAngelo (6'5") & Schroder
SG: Reaves (6'5") & Brown
SF: LeBron (6'8") & Christie
PF: Vandy (6'8") & Rui (QO)
C: Ad (6'11") & Gabriel

Lakeshow Baby...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#13 » by Kilroy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:30 pm

Dlo says he wants to be with the Lakers long term and is interested in signing an extension and forgoing free agency... That goes a long way with me actually... If he can be had for a price that allows us some flexibility, then maybe we should do it...
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,645

Post#14 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:18 pm

Kilroy wrote:Dlo says he wants to be with the Lakers long term and is interested in signing an extension and forgoing free agency... That goes a long way with me actually... If he can be had for a price that allows us some flexibility, then maybe we should do it...

Im not sure there will be much(any) flexibility after signing him, as we have 2 max contracts hogging up alot of our salary. We've certainly made our bed. I also think that there will be 2 different D'Lo's. The one BEFORE the contract is signed, and the one AFTER.

But with that said...We gave up a first rounder (sigh) to get him, so there's some incentive to make this happen. Would be a total shame to have him just walk after giving that up. Given our lack of options, and as you pointed out, he's willing to forgo free-agency, I suppose we could do worse. It's just gotta be something well short of the max. The guy is so, so, far from a max player.
yitur
Sixth Man
And1: 859

Post#15 » by yitur » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:31 pm

We don't need no flexibility, we have 10 good players right now that we should keep. D'Lo is one of the priorities.

Davis/Bamba
Vanderbilt/Rui
LeBron/Brown
Beasley/Reaves
D'Lo/Schröder

Brown Reaves and D'Angelo are the priorities. Reaves is an amazing role player, Brown is a pretty good backup wing option that can hit threes occasionally and pretty young. D'Lo is the perfect third wheel for LeBron and Davis at that price. Then I would try to keep Rui, Schröder and Bamba in that order. If we can't keep Rui we should get a versatile 4 which does not grow on trees. Schröder's replacement is a little easier since Beasley-D'Angelo-Reaves can handle all the guard minutes with Max Christie getting the rest. Bamba's skillset is amazing but his play is average. We should get some bruisers for RS. Maybe one bruiser and one Nerlens Noel.
fteru6uhre54ew
Rookie
And1: 645

Post#16 » by fteru6uhre54ew » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:23 am

tamaraw08 wrote:

Man you only have to see the first thing he said when he come back from the injury to win a f game "the league and the teams are lucky that I have been injured. I was ready to go crazy" stfu man why he talks like that when all his career he has been a streaky irregular player who is a liability on defense he remember me of Nick Young but with a little bit of knowledge with the ball.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,203

Post#17 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:25 am

I dont believe the Buss Family ownership is going to give up a DLo. Hes going to get extended for the Long Stay
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#18 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:07 am

siFy wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

Man you only have to see the first thing he said when he come back from the injury to win a f game "the league and the teams are lucky that I have been injured. I was ready to go crazy" stfu man why he talks like that when all his career he has been a streaky irregular player who is a liability on defense he remember me of Nick Young but with a little bit of knowledge with the ball.

Best case scenario is to sign and trade him for a reliable and dedicated contributor/s. If not get him for 2 years with team option on 2nd year IMO.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#19 » by DanishLakerFan » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:52 am

D-Lo is awesome and i hope he's the PG of the future because he fits well with Lebron and AD.

Lakers has been 5-2 in games with DLo so far despite missing Lebron.
Dallas has been 5-7 with Kyrie so far.

And he fits well with the current guys in the backcourt. Any combination of D-Lo, Reaves, Beasley and Schroeder works well.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#20 » by tamaraw08 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:53 pm

DanishLakerFan wrote:D-Lo is awesome and i hope he's the PG of the future because he fits well with Lebron and AD.

Lakers has been 5-2 in games with DLo so far despite missing Lebron.
Dallas has been 5-7 with Kyrie so far.

And he fits well with the current guys in the backcourt. Any combination of D-Lo, Reaves, Beasley and Schroeder works well.

I don’t recall anybody is questioning his great abilities, I think everyone knows his skill sets are perfect for this team with AD and James. The concern that some of us have is that he has that history of not caring enough and do the necessary things to help his team win like not having that intensity to play defense, attacking the lanes and get FTs, playing games even when he’s feeling some pain etc.
Lakers got frustrated and traded him, and they jumped from 30th in DRTG to 12th best.
GSW desperate for scoring lost KD, Steph and Klay
and still traded him after 33 games. Myers and Kerr would rather have an expensive under achiever Wiggins than D’Lo.
Minnie finally got to the playoffs last year then after a year would rather have a 38 year old expensive Conley, did you notice any trend here?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers