ImageImageImageImageImage

LeBron James Reacts to Dillon Brooks Disrespect in Lakers Blowout: "I Don't Need to Make Statements"

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,236

Re: LeBron James Reacts to Dillon Brooks Disrespect in Lakers Blowout: "I Don't Need to Make Statements" 

Post#2 » by Kilroy » Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:08 pm

I honestly don't like that sentiment... He clearly was sending a message, why not be alpha and say so?
What frustrates me most about LeBron is he doesn't really have another gear in situations like this. He plays his game and lets the game come to him, but it's really not much different that what he does the rest of the season... There have been a few times where he clearly took it to another level, and that's what frustrates me. I know it's there but he just won't go there for whatever reason, when it seems like we need it.

I'd love him to just say '**** around and find out' or something like that... Instead we get "I'm the king and above all that, obviously"... It's just seems kind of hollow...

Especially since I thought he played a superb game outside of a few missed defensive assignments and a few ill-advised isos..
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
bb22
Starter
And1: 1,008

Re: LeBron James Reacts to Dillon Brooks Disrespect in Lakers Blowout: "I Don't Need to Make Statements" 

Post#3 » by bb22 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:18 am

I don’t know. I’m a huge Lebron fan, but I think the reality is more bleak. I just think that he can’t sustain that level anymore. Not unless his shot is dead on, and even then his flame burns out much faster than it did in the past. He can’t rely on that insane first step or aerial ability anymore.

Did you notice his facial expression at the start of game 3? It seemed like he was trying to channel that Lebron game 6 vs Boston energy. It lasted a few possessions, then dissipated. I love the guy, but he is slowly realizing his ability to dominate, like he once did, is no longer feasible. He’s smart and finds his spots to put up 25 6 6, but he isn’t carrying the team down the stretch every given night anymore.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,645

Post#4 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:31 pm

I dunno......If I'm Lebron, I'd be annoyed this two-bit player is trying to build his brand off of me. I might wanna get into some back and forth with a guy like CP3, or Luca, or something. But this Brooks guy? Why give him the daylight?
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#5 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:53 pm

bb22 wrote:I don’t know. I’m a huge Lebron fan, but I think the reality is more bleak. I just think that he can’t sustain that level anymore. Not unless his shot is dead on, and even then his flame burns out much faster than it did in the past. He can’t rely on that insane first step or aerial ability anymore.

For what it's worth: the guy is still giving us 29 points, 9 boards, and 8 assists per game this season. With a 50% fg rate. Is there a single player on the Celtics putting up those numbers? Ja Morant isnt giving you those numbers! Not even on the points. So 'bleak' is kind of relative here. I don't know what kind of level people want sustained....but his current level is higher than just about anyone.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,236

Post#6 » by Kilroy » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:04 pm

LeBron is still a phenomenal player...

It's that he still thinks he can easily win without trying that hard sometimes... He still does mind numbing things like random shots from the logo, that miss... Daring shooters to shoot over him, and now they make those shots... Etc... But the biggest problem for us, is he still loves the old 'clear out iso' plays out past the 3pt line... Only now, he's taking 10 sec off the clock trying to break down his defender instead of 5, and he's no longer a guarantee to even make it to the rim any more if he's successful..

Point being, we still need him to be great, but he could be even better if he recognized some of those failings and adapted a little more...

And along with that, it's be cool to get a little pissed every once in a while and lay it on the other team, like you cared, instead of like you're above all that mess...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,857

Post#7 » by Beethoven » Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:42 am

Lebron is goat and goats don't respond to sh*t-throwing monkeys.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
JVL
Starter
And1: 2,490

Post#8 » by JVL » Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:17 am

Bron is 38, has proven himself as a top 5 all-time player (he's firmly 1b for me and the gap with 1a isn't all that large anymore). Obviously he can't go off and dominate like he could in his 20s, but he doesn't have to.

Don't give clowns like Brooks the light of day.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#9 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:32 pm

Kilroy wrote:LeBron is still a phenomenal player...

It's that he still thinks he can easily win without trying that hard sometimes... He still does mind numbing things like random shots from the logo, that miss... Daring shooters to shoot over him, and now they make those shots... Etc... But the biggest problem for us, is he still loves the old 'clear out iso' plays out past the 3pt line... Only now, he's taking 10 sec off the clock trying to break down his defender instead of 5, and he's no longer a guarantee to even make it to the rim any more if he's successful..

Point being, we still need him to be great, but he could be even better if he recognized some of those failings and adapted a little more...

And along with that, it's be cool to get a little pissed every once in a while and lay it on the other team, like you cared, instead of like you're above all that mess...

I think I've said (if not I'll say it now) that Lebron often doesn't feel like a Laker. It's hard sometimes for me to make that connection. And it's almost all attitude. So I totally get where your coming from. I think your points are totally valid.

But I just wanna point out that Lebron had 29 points, 8.3 rebounds, and 7 assists, with 50% fg. I want everyone reading this to really think about that. Look back over his whole career. Your gonna find 2 - maybe 3 seasons better than that....and only barely. You might find 2 or 3 seasons of Shaq in his prime that are better. And again...it would be by 3-4 points, a couple boards..and less assists.I remember Kobe had that 34 point season...but I don't think the other stats were there. Maybe. Did Magic ever have those numbers? Lebron's numbers are neck and neck with Jokic and Embiid this season. And this guy is 38! 38!!!! 20th season

So while it appears that there's this other level he should, or could hit. I'm not so sure. And look....I'm just as guilty of this as anyone. But I think when you step back...yeah there's a play here, or a play there. But you simply cannot be doing this kinda stuff, and not be giving it your all. And for people who share that "bleak" view (not calling anyone out...that's just the exact comment very recently made, so Im using it)....I want you to go show me some better seasons by our rich history of Laker greats. You go get Worthy in his prime. Magic, Kareem. Silk. Grab some of those great Kobe years. I'm telling you that your gonna find maybe a handful of better years. All by guys in their twenties...and all just a tad higher here or there. So do think about that.

I remember arguing with another one of the regular posters here when we first signed Lebron. He thought we'd get 2 good years out of him at best, and then there would be a massive decline. I argued we'd get at least 3. Even I was wrong. We're on his 5th year as a Laker.....and I'd bet he has top-5 numbers per game, as a Laker. It's just crazy what this guy does.

And even after all that.....I still feel like he's not really a Laker! It's a strange one, I admit.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,332

Post#10 » by TheHartBreakKid » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:10 pm

I love how Lebron handled that whole situation, from start to end.

-He didn’t get a pissing match with a scrub.
-he came out strong the following game and didn’t just act completely nonchalant about it. He subtly flex on Brooks and basically deflated his whole confidence multiple times, without acting like an immature child.
-lastly and most importantly, he didn’t try to go out of his way to get 40 points and continued to play his game
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:15 am

TheHartBreakKid wrote:I love how Lebron handled that whole situation, from start to end.

-He didn’t get a pissing match with a scrub.
-he came out strong the following game and didn’t just act completely nonchalant about it. He subtly flex on Brooks and basically deflated his whole confidence multiple times, without acting like an immature child.
-lastly and most importantly, he didn’t try to go out of his way to get 40 points and continued to play his game

Equally enjoyed how Brooks handled it. Was nowhere to be found last night, come interview time. Was really nowhere to be found in the game either.

For a guy to say he doesn't respect anyone until they drop 40 on you....maybe your career high shouldnt be 36. Just a thought. And if your gonna try and step to the GOAT, maybe you aughta not be a scrub.

All in all, very enjoyable
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#12 » by stan francisco » Mon May 1, 2023 8:32 am

I just saw an interview with Dillon Brooks where they asked him about regretting poking the bear. Cringe lovely. Can’t wait to post a link.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers