Re: Lakers offseason 2023 

Post#521 » by Danny Darko » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:01 am

Bizmack at this point.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#522 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:57 am

1st pray woods takes minimum. 2nd, how the F does Bamba sign for minimum and we missed out on somethin. And that's what Bamba is...somethin. now?? We hoping and wishin. Hopein jaxson grows up, and wishin woods can find his way here
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,557

Post#523 » by stan francisco » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:36 am

Clippers fans said what?

Championships since the 1976 merger:

LAL x 11
CHI x 6
SAS x 5
BOS x 5
GSW x 4
DET x 3
MIA x 3
HOU 2
Nine teams x 1
LAC x 0
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#524 » by stan francisco » Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:41 am

I like Jay Huff, and he looked ok with the Rockets but I think there is bigger long term upside with Castleton, although he needs a year in the gym first.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#525 » by tugs » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:06 pm

Thoughts on Udoka Azebuike?
PedroFlu
Pro Prospect
And1: 650

Post#526 » by PedroFlu » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:55 pm

Danny Darko wrote:Bizmack at this point.

Can he actually protect the rim and rebound? Honest question, as the Suns let him go. Fit wise it's the best option, but I really dont know if this guy isnt completely washed and living off reputation.

Wood is tempting though. But signing him would mean less minutes for a real C who would offer rim protection in ADs absence.. would really need Hayes to be a hit.
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#527 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:09 pm

I still don’t understand the clamoring in here for a vet minimum center that won’t play. That is still available and nobody else wanted because they arent very good. That you guys want because of Jokic who will eat all of these guys alive and will do whatever he wants on them. I’d much rather convert Castleton to a real contract and sign Baugh, Fudge and Hodge to our two way contracts.

it’s crazy that these people think he’s going to play the majority time at the 4 when Rob spent all that money on forwards and only vet minimums on centers. What more evidence do they need that AD is staying at the 5 this year?

AD I guarantee gets 32 minutes a night at center. Hayes and Rui will split the other 16 minutes per night. Anyone signed at this point will be strictly garbage time.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,199

Post#528 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:41 pm

That's the configuration here, and exactly what many on this board and in the office has been thinking and saying. There is no such guarantee with AD.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,416

Post#529 » by Danny Darko » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:15 pm

PedroFlu wrote:

Can he actually protect the rim and rebound? Honest question, as the Suns let him go. Fit wise it's the best option, but I really dont know if this guy isnt completely washed and living off reputation.

Wood is tempting though. But signing him would mean less minutes for a real C who would offer rim protection in ADs absence.. would really need Hayes to be a hit.

I can't find the article but Bizmack is had the best defensive stats for centers within 6 feet of their man. in 14mpg he did still avg 1.4 blocks/game and he had a 16 rebound game and if you look at his game log he rebounded well in every game he saw close to 30 min.
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 443

Post#530 » by Doug_12 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:28 pm

PedroFlu wrote:

Not sure where I saw this, but someone posted that advanced stats still show him as an elite rim protector. (There is probably some bias here as he was mostly up against second units and for shorter stretches, but probably he is still very good in that aspect of the game)

The (huge) problem with him is his offense. When we say we were 4 vs 5 with Vanderbilt on court, it's just just a crude understatement compared to what we will experience w/ Biyombo.

I get that his strengths are matching well w/ our needs (at least when AD is healthy) and I used to think along the same lines, but we actually need playable players. If someone can't stay on the court, because it allows double teaming us in every possession, then we can't use that guy. Even in case he is one of the best rim protectors out there.

Of course: currently there are not too many serviceable players out there and Biyombo is one of the better ones. But Wood is actually a playable big, probably the last available one.
PedroFlu
Pro Prospect
And1: 650

Post#531 » by PedroFlu » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:10 am

Great info guys, thanks.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#532 » by stan francisco » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:46 am

To preserve AD’s health, I’d like us to get a C who is a true low post threat. This way, and I love AD as a low post five, he gets to save his body on offense and instead play some of his minutes as a stretch four and even as a 7’ wing.

I’m right now happy having Hayes play much of that low post C role. Christian Wood can’t be passed up if we can get him but Tristan Thompson is a good second on my list as he brings leadership we very much need.

Yurtseven and Hernangomes and Noēl are still out there.
zuju
Senior
And1: 125

Post#533 » by zuju » Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:23 am

Mcgee TT Wood and Bol Bol are on my list. Anyone would do.

Leave a spot open. I am interested to see if kyle lowry would be part of the trade package and be waived. He would be dream come true to have
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#534 » by stan francisco » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:07 pm

I hope Dame goes nowhere right now, that we can get him on the rebound before the deadline.

I’m thinking we’re going to get Christian Wood and can later put a trade together for Dame, or even better, make a three or four team deal right now. We’d have the following pieces to juggle with: D Lo, Reaves, Christie, Wood, Lewis, Reddish, Vando, Hachimura, Hayes, Prince, Fino and future picks. We should be able to compete with any of Miami’s packages for Dame but most likely POR won’t let us or any other contender in the west get that good.

Dame, James, Davis is a handful to defend.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,229

Post#535 » by Kilroy » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:23 pm

I forgot DLo had a no trade clause in his contract... The fact we got him to waive it, makes the extension that much more palatable...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,229

Post#536 » by Kilroy » Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:28 pm

stan francisco wrote:I hope Dame goes nowhere right now, that we can get him on the rebound before the deadline.

I’m thinking we’re going to get Christian Wood and can later put a trade together for Dame, or even better, make a three or four team deal right now. We’d have the following pieces to juggle with: D Lo, Reaves, Christie, Wood, Lewis, Reddish, Vando, Hachimura, Hayes, Prince, Fino and future picks. We should be able to compete with any of Miami’s packages for Dame but most likely POR won’t let us or any other contender in the west get that good.

I think we end up with Wood too... And I really don't know if I like that...

That said, with Hayes on board, Wood likely will rarely sniff the floor... So maybe it doesn't matter that much.

Also... We signed DeMarre Carroll as an assistant coach? Seems like maybe a positive move...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#537 » by stan francisco » Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:00 pm

Kilroy wrote:
stan francisco wrote:I hope Dame goes nowhere right now, that we can get him on the rebound before the deadline.

I think we end up with Wood too... And I really don't know if I like that...

That said, with Hayes on board, Wood likely will rarely sniff the floor... So maybe it doesn't matter that much.

Also... We signed DeMarre Carroll as an assistant coach? Seems like maybe a positive move...

Agreed. We don’t really need his offense. We need low post C defense.

If we’re getting Wood I’m not sure we’re actually getting him because of our needs, think it’ll be for a bigger trade or a future trade.

DeMarre Carroll… I can’t tell you if I like it or not as I don’t know much about his personality, but any wisdom and seniority added to the coaching staff is much welcome. Former Nugget? Could he be the adjustments dude we need in the playoffs?

Edit: Oh crap. It’s a former player of Ham’s. He’s the first replacement of three lost coaches since last season.

Per BSPN:
“Miles Simon, Jon Pastorek and Dru Anthrop all left to join former Lakers coach Frank Vogel after the Phoenix Suns hired him.”
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#538 » by mighty_duck » Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:57 pm

zuju wrote:Max Christie vs Loonie Walker (Better defensively but no competition to Loonie in terms of scoring)
Anthony Davis vs Anthony Davis (Same barring injuries)
Rui Hachimura vs Rui Hachimura (Same or a little improvement ?)
Jaxson Hayes vs Mo Bamba (A least Hayes is healthy to play and provide 10-15 quality minutes?)
Jalen Hood-Schifino vs Shaquille Harrison (3rd string pg, wouldn't see much minutes anyway unless JHS shows promise from the get go)
LeBron James vs LeBron James (Declined further but healthier)
Maxwell Lewis vs Max Christie (Non factor at the bench)
Taurean Prince vs Wenyen Gabriel (Less toughness/ rebound/ protection in the paint, much better 3 point shooting)
Austin Reaves vs Austin Reaves (Same or a little improvement ?)
Cam Reddish vs Troy Brown Jr. (Don't know what to expect from Cam :lol:, less of a 3 point shooter than Brown )
D'Angelo Russell vs D'Angelo Russell (Expect the same Dlo)
Jarred Vanderbilt vs Jarred Vanderbilt (Same or a little improvement ?)
Gabe Vincent vs Dennis Schröder (Very Debatable)

Who vs Tristan Thompson
Who vs Malik Beasley

Do you think the lakers is better on paper this season or worse ?

Not enthused about the offseason.
Pros:
I'm happy with D'lo and Reaves' contracts.

Mid:
Taurean Prince had almost identical numbers to TBJ, so that's wash.
Bamba Vs Hayes is also a wash. I liked the potential of Bamba's 3 + rim protector, but it didn't materialize here.

Cons:
When you look up "Vet Minimum" in the dictionary, Vincent's picture is there. Why give him so much money? Negative asset from day 1.
On the court, he'll make Westbrick look like a reliable shooter off Lebron's passes. Decent defender, but (aside from the magical postseason run he just had), a net negative on the floor. Downgrade from Schroder, who could actually play point and get to the line.

Rui - Also got much more money than he's worth (again, disregarding the magical postseason run he just had). Career 7-8 man.

Lost Walker and Beasley, who were streaky, but could give you exceptional games.
Replaced with Cam Reddish (a 23 year old wing on his 4th team, shooting .322 from 3).

We're left with 3 rotation players who can reliably hit the three (D'lo, Reaves, Prince).
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,269

Post#539 » by heezyo2o » Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:37 pm

For someone getting maybe 10 mins tops, I would want something that plays good sound defense and gets rebounds. If Woods is that bad on defense, I'd rather get someone else. Though lack of scoring off the bench looks to be an issue so Woods might be helpful during a long season when someone goes down.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,927

Post#540 » by tugs » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:48 am

We haven't had a Ronny Turiaf player for some time now

Return to Los Angeles Lakers