ImageImageImageImageImage

Should The Lakers Consider Moving AD To Rebuild?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Re: Should The Lakers Consider Moving AD To Rebuild? 

Post#21 » by TyCobb » Tue May 23, 2023 2:27 pm

Hell no.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548

Post#22 » by stan francisco » Tue May 23, 2023 3:08 pm

Yesterday, I was so pissed at him for not playing harder, that I wanted him traded. He’s one of the best defensive bigs in the game. Add, don’t replace!
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#23 » by loveshaq786 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 10:59 pm

for pascal, Sharpe, Thaddeus, and scoot... YES!

1.) AD ... for Simmons, scoot and Sharpe

2.) Simmons, dangelo, vando... for Pascal, Thaddeus
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 806

Post#24 » by CZ Eddie » Sun Jul 9, 2023 11:43 pm

The 'bron 'n' 'brow both need to be moved.
This isn't the year and neither will next year be the year.
It's already time to look ahead to four years in the future.
Keep your politics out of my sports
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#25 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Sun Jul 9, 2023 11:57 pm

You will be crazy to trade AD and rebuild now. We are in the conference finals last season. You just need to upgrade the players around him and if you are trading someone it is not AD (and Reaves). Lebron's decline is very evident in the playoffs so AD will probably our best player this coming season. AD is a two way player and a very elite defender. People only look at AD's offensive stats but they fail to realize that even if AD is struggling offensively the defense, rebounding, shot blocking is always there in a very high level. Injuries are the only problem for AD but a healthy AD is a monster inside the court.
PedroFlu
Pro Prospect
And1: 639

Post#26 » by PedroFlu » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:49 pm

Thing is, now AD is perceived as healthy again. Trading him now would be a very bold move, but the only chance it is a highly successful trade is exactly if it is bold at the moment it occurs.

It only takes another early injury to the perception of his value changing radically again.

Anyway, the roster now fits greatly, has youth and talent... you definitely move forward with him.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,837

Post#27 » by Beethoven » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:07 pm

Memories wrote:Lakers Trade:
AD

Blazers Trade:
Anfernee Simons
Jusuf Nurkic
3rd pick
3 future first round picks

Sounds pretty good and Im a big fan of nurkic he would help us out tremendously, but I still value AD .. a couple of tweaks to the roster (backup center, ballhandler , perhaps dlo gets a bit more consistent) and a better addition to the coaching staff (I think the main issue is from here, inability to adjust on the fly) and we'll be back in the conf finals again, this time we'll beat Phoenix (let alone mcnuggets).
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#28 » by Kilroy » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:30 pm

At this point, the team is build around AD/Lebron... We'd have to completely blow it up to rebuild without him... We'd need a franchise player in return, basically...
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#29 » by Landsberger » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:13 pm

Kilroy wrote:At this point, the team is build around AD/Lebron... We'd have to completely blow it up to rebuild without him... We'd need a franchise player in return, basically...

The current version of the NBA doesn't have what we have known as "franchise players". I believe we're heading into an early 70's to late 70's period where parity and less than great play will rule the day.

The team has put itself into a corner where there will be a significant rebuild.... ground up rebuild. Keeping Davis doesn't change that as he's not a guy who carries a team now... and sure won't be 3 years from now.

The "conference finals" comments are great context.... but to counter that I'd also point out where we finished in our own division. Barring injury to our opponents we're not any closer than last year. We're a year older and on borrowed time with Davis and injuries.

A decent supporting cast but no one who can fill a void left by an injury to Bron or Davis.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#30 » by Jody Smokz » Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:57 pm

A lot of fans just want to see a trade out of boredom...AD is still an elite defensive player and an all star player. There is 0 reason for them to entertain trading him unless they trying to rebuild from the ground up. Half the fans could not stomach this during the Kobe post achilles tear era and post retirement. It's idiotic to entertain it again now.
dAdo dA dEvil
Sixth Man
And1: 476

Post#31 » by dAdo dA dEvil » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:22 am

We are tied with AD and Bron at least until either contract is up. So maybe it's for another year or two. We will make trades but this two (and AR) will be untouchable. I expect DLo to be the one who is in the trading block. And given a year or two we will also see and evaluate if Austin is a legit piece for a rebuild once AD or Bron (or both) are gone.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,407

Post#32 » by Danny Darko » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:35 am

Read on Twitter
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#33 » by Landsberger » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:19 am

Danny Darko wrote:
Read on Twitter

The one who's 5 years younger than the other 2?

Curry and Durant had major injuries that caused them to miss entire seasons. Also let's compare a 25-30 stretch for Davis with a 30-35 one for Curry and 29-34 for Durant and call it fair.

Durant has tied for the league lead in games played 2 seasons while Davis has never played more than 75.

Finally, I wouldn't trade Davis for either one of them.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#34 » by Ballerhogger » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:35 am

Once Lebron retires or clearly done being top 10 guy then sure you can think about it .
hoosierdaddy34
Head Coach
And1: 5,726

Post#35 » by hoosierdaddy34 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:19 am

Landsberger wrote:
Danny Darko wrote:
Read on Twitter

The one who's 5 years younger than the other 2?

Curry and Durant had major injuries that caused them to miss entire seasons. Also let's compare a 25-30 stretch for Davis with a 30-35 one for Curry and 29-34 for Durant and call it fair.

Durant has tied for the league lead in games played 2 seasons while Davis has never played more than 75.

Finally, I wouldn't trade Davis for either one of them.

I mean the fact that Durant has played 75 games just once in the last 7 years seems more indicative than him leading the league in games played back in 2014.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,638

Post#36 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:21 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:A lot of fans just want to see a trade out of boredom...AD is still an elite defensive player and an all star player. There is 0 reason for them to entertain trading him unless they trying to rebuild from the ground up. Half the fans could not stomach this during the Kobe post achilles tear era and post retirement. It's idiotic to entertain it again now.

Couldn't disagree with you more. What's "idiotic" in my opinion, is to think that Lebron and AD will take us too another title. So a rebuild is really the only option. We can do in now, or we can do it in 2-3 years.

What's the value of AD in 2-3 years? You just called him an elite defensive player, and an all-star. Sounds good to me. If there's still a little of that sentiment out there, then sell high!

It doesn't matter if I can stomach a rebuild or not....cause it's coming. Might as well cash in some chips with AD, rather than watching him fall apart, and getting nothing for him in 2 years. Better to sell a year early, than a year late. Once AD goes down again, and this team struggles to remain .500, there will be a change in opinion about AD. Only it will be too late then. I hope all the people who wanna keep AD, and think we have a good team will remember where you stood, when you call Rob a loser, and demand he gets fired, because we're facing a rebuild in 12-18 months with NOTHING in the cupboard.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,638

Post#37 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:36 pm

hoosierdaddy34 wrote:I mean the fact that Durant has played 75 games just once in the last 7 years seems more indicative than him leading the league in games played back in 2014.

Yeah, but nobody's talking about trading for Durant...so who really cares? This is a side-track.

AD gets too many injuries. And now that he's 30, the downhill starts. There was a time that we hoped he would take the baton of leadership from Lebron...but I think everyone admits/agrees that he's a #2, and always will be. And so we're back to the old saying of "as Lebron goes...so does the team". Well Lebron is fading now. No longer able to sustain it. He can't will teams past good opposition anymore. And so you need a guy to take those reigns. But we all know that ain't AD. So all the rest is just "blah blah blah".

Sell AD while his stock is high. Don't worry about Durant or Curry. We want youth anyways. The rebuild is coming. Lebron is about done. If I thought Lebron had it in him to carry our squad when needed, I'd say "screw it, lets roll the dice" ....but he can't. And therefore AD is sort of moot. All of this never even takes AD's injury history into account btw. This is just about AD's level of play. Even if it was 82 games next season...it's still not enough.

And so you ask yourself: what's the chances that AD stays essentially injury free, and retains his value in 1-2 years when Lebron leaves/retires? If you don't like those odds...then it's prob the smarter move to sell high, and get some youth/picks to aid in our rebuild.
loveshaq786
Pro Prospect
And1: 86

Post#38 » by loveshaq786 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:17 am

AD, pippen jr, and D'Angelo.... Donavon Mitchell, Sam, J. Allen, picks, and Emoni

play LeBron at the 4

side note: I would also trade D'Angelo, pippen, reeves ... for d. Mitchell, Samq too
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548

Post#39 » by stan francisco » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:27 pm

This is crazy talk. You don’t trade a top 3 center away. He may be the best defensive big in the entire league. It’s like saying trade Bill Russell in his prime. When LBJ is done we can continue with AD.

Sure, he gets injured. That’s why we need defensive C backups.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
The Hypnotoad
Rookie
And1: 413

Post#40 » by The Hypnotoad » Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:20 pm

CZ Eddie wrote:The 'bron 'n' 'brow both need to be moved.
This isn't the year and neither will next year be the year.
It's already time to look ahead to four years in the future.

Great so don’t bother watching the next four years of lakers ball.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers