ImageImageImageImageImage

Why Didn't the Lakers Trade Their Pick?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Liam_Gallagher
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,982

Why Didn't the Lakers Trade Their Pick? 

Post#1 » by Liam_Gallagher » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:11 pm

They made the WCF, all 4 games were close even though they were swept, and they're in win-now mode. I don't get this at all. LeBron-led teams usually dislike rookies very much.

If Marcus Morris and the 30th pick could net the Clippers the 6th man of the year (Brogdon, before the trade got vetoed), why didn't the Lakers package the 17th pick+Bamba+Beasley for someone like Dorian Finney-Smith or Alex Caruso? Very strange from Pelinka as this doesn't fit their DNA or timeline one bit.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,440

Re: Why Didn't the Lakers Trade Their Pick? 

Post#2 » by og15 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:15 pm

Did they find a player they wanted for the pick? Did the other team want their offers? Unless we know of a specific trade they rejected, the obvious answer would be that they didn't find a deal that made sense.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 20,023

Post#3 » by thebigbird » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:17 pm

Because Rob Pelinka is back on his BS. JHS is so mid.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 63,019

Post#4 » by Duffman100 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:18 pm

I wouldn't mind JHS on Toronto. FVV is available for a SnT?
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,998

Post#5 » by Sofia » Fri Jun 23, 2023 1:34 pm

Why don’t you trade your pick?
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,663

Post#6 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:31 pm

I mean you can't just force someone to take your middling pick for a quality player. It has to make sense.
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,898

Post#7 » by jehosafats » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:03 pm

thebigbird wrote:Because Rob Pelinka is back on his BS. JHS is so mid.

Seriously, he's kind of irky-jerky and lead foot looking. Definitely underwhelming so far.
-Spyda-
Pro Prospect
And1: 363

Post#8 » by -Spyda- » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:13 pm

Hood-Schifino Is good pick
CallMeKahn
Starter
And1: 1,686

Post#9 » by CallMeKahn » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:15 pm

I like the pick for them. And honestly, it never hurts to have some cheap talent in the pipe, regardless of your cap situation.
daoneandonly wrote:Utah doesnt have anyhting close value wise to get Dallas to even pick up the phone

Said in reference to Utah's trade assets in a potential Doncic deal.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,854

Post#10 » by Joao Saraiva » Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:20 pm

Lakers don't need to rush anything. There is time. The Lakers don't own a ton of future assets, so might as well use them at the right time.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
oversteerdawg
Senior
And1: 817

Post#11 » by oversteerdawg » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:10 pm

Lakers try to trade pick and filler for quality player.

RealGM: Nobody wants that pick and poopoo platter. The Lakers think they own the league and can dictate trades

Lakers don't try to trade pick and filler for quality player.

RealGM: Why didn't the lakers trade their pick along with role players for a stud? I don't get this Laker team at all.
Hon-essim wrote:LOL @John Starks, Charles Oakley, Harper and Davis = average team but Smush, Kwame and Luke = not.
In-N-Out 247
Junior
And1: 247

Post#12 » by In-N-Out 247 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:30 pm

I have a conspiracy theory on this:

"Puts on tin foil hat"

The trade to move up from 47 to 40 where the Lakers paid Indiana $4.35M in cash was a precursor to a future deal this summer. They grossly overpaid to move up, heck they could have probably straight up purchased a late first round pick or really early second round pick with that cash. Think of this as the old "future considerations", but in reverse. I know that they have long had their eyes on Myles Turner and Buddy Hield. So perhaps this was cash given now along with more cash when they finalize the transaction in the summer. Either Beasley & Cash for Hield or Beasley, JHS & cash for Turner. If they decline their TO on Beasley then it kind of kills this idea, so we will see.

'Removes tin foil hat"
playoffs
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,964

Post#13 » by playoffs » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:30 pm

oversteerdawg wrote:Lakers try to trade pick and filler for quality player.

RealGM: Nobody wants that pick and poopoo platter. The Lakers think they own the league and can dictate trades

RealGM: Why didn't the lakers trade their pick along with role players for a stud? I don't get this Laker team at all.

I mean, you do realize Realgm is more than one person posting from hundreds of accounts, right?
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,136

Post#14 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:38 pm

Financial reasons . Buss isn’t willing to do what it takes…. See letting Caruso walk and how much trouble they give their free agents. Bet they cut bamba to save a couple dollars as well
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,440

Post#15 » by og15 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:41 pm

oversteerdawg wrote:Lakers try to trade pick and filler for quality player.

That's what happens when you have multiple opinions, crazy, right?
ChettheJet
Head Coach
And1: 1,938

Post#16 » by ChettheJet » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:00 pm

Bulls fans were ready to send Caruso west for #17 and Bamba, apparently the calls went to voicemail. The money would hve balanced out.

The kid they got might be a good player down the road but are there really any minutes for him on a team like the Lakers that even in a down year made the conference Finals? Look at them bring back Rui and Reaves and have AC to come off the bench.

But consider than rosters aren't set. There's no reason they can't trade the rights to Hood-Shafino and Bamba for Caruso at any time before they have to sign him
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#17 » by Up-And-Coming » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:07 pm

Pelinka said in his presser that they fielded calls and weighed potential trade offers with other teams but ultimately valued the pick more at the moment. He confirmed that Jalen Hood-Schifino was higher on their draft board then 17 and was a consensus decision among their scouts. He also kept things open and said "sometimes you can't make all of your moves in one fell swoop".

They liked the prospect of Hood-Schifino but if a trade opportunity to their liking presents itself they'll obviously consider it. I heard another scouting draft board expert unrelated to the Lakers say the Raptors really liked Jalen Hood-Schifino especially considering their question marks at point guard with FVV hitting free-agency. Raptors also chose to take Dick's shooting with their lottery pick leaving a gap at point guard/backup point guard.

Maybe that's something to keep an eye on or maybe it's not but I think the Lakers are happy with Jalen Hood-Schifino at 17 and Maxwell Lewis at 40 who they both valued higher then their draft position (Lakers paid $4.3 million just to move from 47th to 40th pick).

I think the Warriors trading for Chris Paul threw a wrench at their Plan A which had another trade lined-up were they to sign him off waivers.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,321

Post#18 » by lambchop » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:10 pm

They were expecting the Pelicans to swap the pick, but surprisingly that never happened.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,876

Post#19 » by Triple M » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:13 pm

I think it will eventually be traded by December or Jan 15
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,235

Post#20 » by Kilroy » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:40 pm

Even a terrible pick is better than a bad trade...

And this wasn't a terrible pick.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers