Let's do this.
Bring back Defense
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,190

Re: Pre Season Game 1 Thread LAL Vs GSW = Edit Starting very shortly 

Post#2 » by SlimShady83 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 1:08 am

NGL and it's only pre season, looking a little shady

shots not falling, lacking ball movement, defense don't see much ... But It's only 1st quarter
Bring back Defense
Godfather13
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#3 » by Godfather13 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 1:27 am

AD, DLo & Max looked great so far. Been rough for the rest, specially Cam.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#4 » by SlimShady83 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 1:38 am

Jackson Hayes has some talent and might steal some minutes on this team.
Bring back Defense
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Re: Pre Season Game 1 Thread LAL Vs GSW = Edit LIVE 

Post#5 » by TylersLakers » Sun Oct 8, 2023 2:25 am

Just happy I’m seeing us play again. Can’t wait for the season.

Really want AD to keep shooting those 3’s - make or miss.
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,752

Re: Pre Season Game 1 Thread LAL Vs GSW = Lakers LOSE 

Post#6 » by ROballer » Sun Oct 8, 2023 6:02 am

Christie needs 25 minutes on this team.

**** Prince, **** Reddish, **** everyone else.

The kid is plain better. I'd make him the 5th starter but even if we go with Rui, he needs to be the first wing off the bench.

Simple as that.
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#7 » by Ball so hard » Sun Oct 8, 2023 11:02 am

I said it the minute we signed Cam it was a bad signing. Dude looks like he doesn’t even belong in the league. Gabe also looked very unimpressive. I was more in favor of Dennis over him.
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#8 » by xinxin » Sun Oct 8, 2023 11:26 am

I know It’s pre season but Cam looks like trash out there.

A few minutes in and he’s injured.. tsk tsk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,291

Post#9 » by tamaraw08 » Sun Oct 8, 2023 2:14 pm

Ball so hard wrote:I said it the minute we signed Cam it was a bad signing. Dude looks like he doesn’t even belong in the league. Gabe also looked very unimpressive. I was more in favor of Dennis over him.

Yeah I hate to be negative but I never really saw the logic of signing a guy who never shot well in his career and is not a a good defender at all. It just seems like Rich Paul twisted Rob’s arm into hiring his boy Cam this summer.
I like Dennis but him almost crumbling completely versus Murray as compared to Vincent’s kind of swayed their decision to choose Gabe instead. But my concern is almost every ex Heat always regress after leaving Spoelstra just like Nunn, Winslow, Whiteside etc
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#10 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 4:27 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
Ball so hard wrote:I said it the minute we signed Cam it was a bad signing. Dude looks like he doesn’t even belong in the league. Gabe also looked very unimpressive. I was more in favor of Dennis over him.

Yeah I hate to be negative but I never really saw the logic of signing a guy who never shot well in his career and is not a a good defender at all. It just seems like Rich Paul twisted Rob’s arm into hiring his boy Cam this summer.
I like Dennis but him almost crumbling completely versus Murray as compared to Vincent’s kind of swayed their decision to choose Gabe instead. But my concern is almost every ex Heat always regress after leaving Spoelstra just like Nunn, Winslow, Whiteside etc

I didn't mind Gabe ... He can shoot at least, not great but again It's only pre season ... I thought most of you were all high on Cam on signing lol on that one I guess

I really can't wait to see what Hayes can do alongside AD - he might even end up taking up Wood's Minutes.
Bring back Defense
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#11 » by Godfather13 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 1:00 pm

Cam & Prince had a specially rough night. Rui also started badly, but recovered really well to finish off with a great 2nd/3rd qtr.

I still feel pretty good about Prince coming good, and this Game 1 of preseason being his worst game as a Laker. Cam on the other hand, may not have much hope at all.

Dennis, like Monk, got paid and was never coming back. And tbh, he isn't worst what they're paying him in Toronto now.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#12 » by Ball so hard » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:14 am

Godfather13 wrote:

Cam & Prince had a specially rough night. Rui also started badly, but recovered really well to finish off with a great 2nd/3rd qtr.

I still feel pretty good about Prince coming good, and this Game 1 of preseason being his worst game as a Laker. Cam on the other hand, may not have much hope at all.

Dennis, like Monk, got paid and was never coming back. And tbh, he isn't worst what they're paying him in Toronto now.

I’m not too worried about Prince either. You make it sound like Dennis got the bag. 2/25 mil is arguably better than 3/33 mil for Gabe. Can easily get rid of Schroder after the first year.
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#13 » by MAMBAEMD » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:47 pm

We got some serious firepower on the team this year.
And it’s deep.

We have to develop a defensive identity as the season progresses but it has to start from game one.

In the playoffs, it’ll be about being able to shut teams down during key stretches of the game.

Loving what I see so far.
Formerly lakerRD
ROballer
General Manager

Post#14 » by ROballer » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:45 pm

You're not shutting down **** down in this era.

Like it or not, it's a gunning arms race. The period in which the saying 'defense wins championships' is long one.

It's a 75/25 percentage wise in favor of the offense league, at the very least.

You're not shutting down Denver/Phoenix/Warriors in the playoffs, sorry. You could have an all time defensive team and you still wouldn't be able to do jack squat to prevent them from scoring at an relative efficient rate. Offensive scheming and overall player talent have evolved too much. People have counters to your defensive counters.

You win by being elite offensively and slightly better than the other team defensively, that's it. That's the route we're going, it's no coincidence we've filled the team with snipers at every position and made 20 3's last night.
You can't win 20 games in today's league with playing defense and sucking on O. You can win a lot more if it's the other way around, just check the Kings.

Plan is to score 120 every single game.

Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,837

Post#15 » by Beethoven » Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:04 pm

We played awesome last nite tho
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:32 am

ROballer wrote:You're not shutting down **** down in this era.

Like it or not, it's a gunning arms race. The period in which the saying 'defense wins championships' is long one.

You're not shutting down Denver/Phoenix/Warriors in the playoffs, sorry. You could have an all time defensive team and you still wouldn't be able to do jack squat to prevent them from scoring at an relative efficient rate. Offensive scheming and overall player talent have evolved too much. People have counters to your defensive counters.

You win by being elite offensively and slightly better than the other team defensively, that's it. That's the route we're going, it's no coincidence we've filled the team with snipers at every position and made 20 3's last night.
You can't win 20 games in today's league with playing defense and sucking on O. You can win a lot more if it's the other way around, just check the Kings.

This is an interesting post.

Not sure I completely agree, or even follow, but the gist of it is that teams are better off being much better offensively, and that because the offenses are so much better, defensive planning and ability to stop teams in certain stretches of the game is overrated, not as important, and perhaps impossible to accomplish. in other words, not worth concentrating on defense the way teams used to do so.

Did I interpret your post accurately?
Formerly lakerRD
ROballer
General Manager

Post#17 » by ROballer » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:49 am

MAMBAEMD wrote:

Not sure I completely agree, or even follow, but the gist of it is that teams are better off being much better offensively, and that because the offenses are so much better, defensive planning and ability to stop teams in certain stretches of the game is overrated, not as important, and perhaps impossible to accomplish. in other words, not worth concentrating on defense the way teams used to do so.

I mean, isn't it obvious by all the trades made this summer?

Teams used to play the Tony Allen's, Andre Roberson's and you can name dozens of other defenders who had no offensive game here.

Those guys are long extinct, teams get away with 1 of those guys and they play them at C.
And even those are getting fewer and fewer.

Look at the defensive ratings now versus 20 years ago. They are laughable. On the other end of the spectrum, the worst offensive team last year would have been a juggernaut 20 years ago.

Game has evolved too much, it's simply isn't feasible anymore to hope to get multiple stops in a row and shut down the other team for minutes at a time. That was a trend in the past.

Look at Denver last year. They won with one of the best and most efficient offenses ever. What real defenders did they have on their roster? I'll wait.

MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by MAMBAEMD » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:35 am

ROballer wrote:
MAMBAEMD wrote:

I mean, isn't it obvious by all the trades made this summer?

Teams used to play the Tony Allen's, Andre Roberson's and you can name dozens of other defenders who had no offensive game here.

Those guys are long extinct, teams get away with 1 of those guys and they play them at C.
And even those are getting fewer and fewer.

Look at the defensive ratings now versus 20 years ago. They are laughable. On the other end of the spectrum, the worst offensive team last year would have been a juggernaut 20 years ago.

Game has evolved too much, it's simply isn't feasible anymore to hope to get multiple stops in a row and shut down the other team for minutes at a time. That was a trend in the past.

Look at Denver last year. They won with one of the best and most efficient offenses ever. What real defenders did they have on their roster? I'll wait.

The Denver Nuggets proved that defense still wins championships
By Mat Issa | Jun 13, 2023

https://fansided.com/2023/06/13/nuggets-proved-defense-wins-championships/#:~:text=The%20Denver%20Nuggets,Jun%2013%2C%202023
Formerly lakerRD
ROballer
General Manager

Post#19 » by ROballer » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:07 am

That's literally one series, not even a full one.

The article even keeps mentioning their all time offensive prowess. Without that offense they wouldn't have been in position to make the finals in the first place.

What I was talking about was a 100+ game a season scenario, not a game or two here or there that resembles the old days.

Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#20 » by Godfather13 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:19 pm

Ball so hard wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:

I’m not too worried about Prince either. You make it sound like Dennis got the bag. 2/25 mil is arguably better than 3/33 mil for Gabe. Can easily get rid of Schroder after the first year.

It's pretty rare for older players on vet minimum to get that kinda deal again - EVER. I don't think he was worth it to us to be honest, and find Gabe to be a considerably smarter player, who fits a lot more organically.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers