ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Deadline approaching - update Dennis return?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 20

Trade Deadline approaching - update Dennis return? 

Post#1 » by loveshaq007 » Fri Dec 8, 2023 6:05 pm

with the deadline approaching, who can we do without? who is worth giving up talent for?

expendable: gabe, christie jr

for right price: DLO, RUI, vando

everyone else, we shouldn't risk our chemistry for. I for one, would love to see Derozon/Caruso or Mitchel here

Trade 1: Gabe, Rui, Max for Derozan

Trade 2: Gabe, Rui, Max, DLO for Derozan and Caruso

Trade 3: Gabe, Rui, Dlo, and max.... for d.Mitchell and tristan

Trade 4 (easiest): Gabe and Max for Caruso
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Re: Trade Deadline approaching - who is expendable? 

Post#2 » by TyCobb » Fri Dec 8, 2023 6:42 pm

I wish we could do Gabe Vincent and Maxwell Lewis for Nick Richards and Miles Bridges.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#3 » by stan francisco » Fri Dec 8, 2023 9:00 pm

D Lo, Prince, Lewis should get us somebody useful.

I dislike trading Prince because of his defense and corner three percentage.

One target for me is Tyus Jones. Underrated. They’re bombing their season. He would balance our guard lineup. If they want Gabe Vincent instead of Prince, cool.

NYK and TOR could be good three team trade partners. NYK have a million picks to send to TOR.

What team desperately needs playmaking? Send D Lo there.

Reliable defense and three point shooting is what we need. One good player for three half good players…

Turn this roster up to eleven, Rob! It’s almost there.

In my view, Rui goes nowhere. He’s our Rick Fox / Robert Horry in one package. Defends like Fox, offense like Horry.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#4 » by Pythagoras » Sat Dec 9, 2023 1:09 am

All of the wings should be off limits - Rui, Christie, Prince, Vando…

When those guys are healthy and you combine them with AD as a dominant defensive anchor, you get a suffocating defense that is incredibly versatile, especially on the perimeter.

If the Lakers were going to make a move, one of the guards would be the guy, D’Lo, Reaves, or Vincent. D’Lo and Reaves are incredibly cost effective and solid in their roles, so I’d be extremely picky about any deal involving them. That leaves Vincent. I’d like to see what he can do when he’s healthy first, but he’d be the guy at the top of the list to move.

Having said all of that, I don’t actually think the Lakers need to make any moves.
Numbers rule the universe.
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#5 » by loveshaq007 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 1:15 am

stan francisco wrote:D Lo, Prince, Lewis should get us somebody useful.

One target for me is Tyus Jones. Underrated. They’re bombing their season. He would balance our guard lineup. If they want Gabe Vincent instead of Prince, cool.

NYK and TOR could be good three team trade partners. NYK have a million picks to send to TOR.

Reliable defense and three point shooting is what we need. One good player for three half good players…

In my view, Rui goes nowhere. He’s our Rick Fox / Robert Horry in one package. Defends like Fox, offense like Horry.

100% tyus is a killer and probably top three underrated player in the league
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#6 » by loveshaq007 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 1:17 am

Pythagoras wrote:All of the wings should be off limits - Rui, Christie, Prince, Vando…

When those guys are healthy and you combine them with AD as a dominant defensive anchor, you get a suffocating defense that is incredibly versatile, especially on the perimeter.

If the Lakers were going to make a move, one of the guards would be the guy, D’Lo, Reaves, or Vincent. D’Lo and Reaves are incredibly cost effective and solid in their roles, so I’d be extremely picky about any deal involving them. That leaves Vincent. I’d like to see what he can do when he’s healthy first, but he’d be the guy at the top of the list to move.

Having said all of that, I don’t actually think the Lakers need to make any moves.

I agree but what if we get a wing back... like OG or DeRozan?
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#7 » by Pythagoras » Sat Dec 9, 2023 1:35 am

loveshaq007 wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:All of the wings should be off limits - Rui, Christie, Prince, Vando…

I agree but what if we get a wing back... like OG or DeRozan?

OG would be a fantastic get. DeRozan… would depend on what the deal was. I actually don’t rule out the idea of DeRozan being bought out though. Might be able to get him for free.
Numbers rule the universe.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#8 » by TyCobb » Sat Dec 9, 2023 4:51 am

My dream trade is Dangelo Russell and Maxwell Lewis for Kelly Olynyk and Taylor Hendricks.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by stan francisco » Sat Dec 9, 2023 9:53 am

loveshaq007 wrote:

Yes! He’s the perfect fit starting PG for this team.

Do it, Rob!

Edit: three team deal w NY and DC.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#10 » by TylersLakers » Sat Dec 9, 2023 4:41 pm

Vando can’t be traded until the off season.

I would throw everything at Alex Caruso. This team needs him.

Christie, Vincent, JHS, 2027 1st (if it falls 1-3) and if it doesn’t convey, it turns into a Top 3 protected 2029 1st.

We get back Caruso, Craig, Drummond.

That gives us a playoff roster of:

Reaves/D-Lo/
Caruso/Reddish/(Lewis)
Prince/Vando/
LeBron/Rui/(Craig)
AD/(Drummond)/(Wood)/(Hayes)/

I’d also be okay expanding the trade to include DeRozan where we give up D-Lo.

I’d try to stay away from including Rui. Obviously Reaves is off the table.

Other targets I’d go for: DFS from Brooklyn. Clarkson from Utah.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#11 » by Jody Smokz » Sat Dec 9, 2023 6:35 pm

Tyus is a really good solid PG but he's far from top 3 underrated in the NBA. He's not in any shape or form better than DLo or Reaves at PG. He's also much smaller which creates an issue on defense that the Lakers do not have right now.

I think some fans are just bored and need to see pieces moved. The team is performing well. Unless you are making a move that moves the needle by a large margin. Moving around pieces and messing with chemistry just to pop up with Tyus Jones on the other end is NOT going to make this team better equipped to beat a team like Denver in the playoffs.

loveshaq007 wrote:

stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by stan francisco » Sat Dec 9, 2023 11:43 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:Tyus is a really good solid PG but he's far from top 3 underrated in the NBA. He's not in any shape or form better than DLo or Reaves at PG. He's also much smaller which creates an issue on defense that the Lakers do not have right now.

I think some fans are just bored and need to see pieces moved. The team is performing well. Unless you are making a move that moves the needle by a large margin. Moving around pieces and messing with chemistry just to pop up with Tyus Jones on the other end is NOT going to make this team better equipped to beat a team like Denver in the playoffs.

loveshaq007 wrote:

Bored?

Hell yeah, I’m bored to see us pay $17M per year of perfectly good money, only to have to watch the Lakers play four on five on defense with D Lo on the court. Not a winning strategy to leave $17M on the bench every end-of-game in the playoffs.

No contact basketball never won a championship. That’s why D Lo needs to be traded on Dec 15 despite his cute slow motion pick and roll.

Coach already doesn’t play him late in games, ever.

This is a championship squad if we fix a few holes.

Tyus Jones is a highly underrated player a much better defender and competitor than D Lo, plus he’s a very good playmaker to boot. Not a fuzzy personality either, doesn’t need the spotlight. Ask the Grizzlies.

Denver will abuse our $17M black hole again in the playoffs until we bench him. No room for a one way player at that price if you want to win. Margins are too tight.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#13 » by Jody Smokz » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:16 am

First off it's not your money being spent. So unless we are having a conversation about having a fit a player financially its a nonsense conversation to have. D'Angelo Russell is a better basketball player than Tyus Jones. Every NBA GM would not debate this.

DLo has been more efficient this year than Austin Reaves offensively, so far. In the end you just have an issue with DLo. Whether its his personally, his bball style or whatever. The team is performing well and all you seem to come up with is ways to trade him. Even worse you're suggesting moving him and replacing him with a LESSER player that is the PG of one of the worst basketball teams in the NBA on BOTH ends.

stan francisco wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:Tyus is a really good solid PG but he's far from top 3 underrated in the NBA. He's not in any shape or form better than DLo or Reaves at PG. He's also much smaller which creates an issue on defense that the Lakers do not have right now.

loveshaq007 wrote:

Bored?

Hell yeah, I’m bored to see us pay $17M per year of perfectly good money, only to have to watch the Lakers play four on five on defense with D Lo on the court. Not a winning strategy to leave $17M on the bench every end-of-game in the playoffs.

No contact basketball never won a championship. That’s why D Lo needs to be traded on Dec 15 despite his cute slow motion pick and roll.

Tyus Jones is a highly underrated player a much better defender and competitor than D Lo, plus he’s a very good playmaker to boot. Not a fuzzy personality either, doesn’t need the spotlight. Ask the Grizzlies.

Denver will abuse our $17M black hole again in the playoffs until we bench him. No room for a one way player at that price if you want to win. Margins are too tight.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by stan francisco » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:00 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:First off it's not your money being spent. So unless we are having a conversation about having a fit a player financially its a nonsense conversation to have. D'Angelo Russell is a better basketball player than Tyus Jones. Every NBA GM would not debate this.

DLo has been more efficient this year than Austin Reaves offensively, so far. In the end you just have an issue with DLo. Whether its his personally, his bball style or whatever. The team is performing well and all you seem to come up with is ways to trade him. Even worse you're suggesting moving him and replacing him with a LESSER player that is the PG of one of the worst basketball teams in the NBA on BOTH ends.

stan francisco wrote:

Bored?

Happy to continue the discussion when you’ve started watching his defense. Nothing personal. He hides on defense by the mid side of the key. We give up at least 10ppg due to this. I want us to win rings. See Denver WCF series.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#15 » by Jody Smokz » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:54 pm

I know DLo is not a good defender. This is not a secret. However, Tyus Jones is not a good defender either. Atleast with Russell he gives you size at the position where he can't be picked out and shot over easily by most scorers. He's also not hurting the Lakers defensively the way you suggest despite his individual shortcomings.

There isn't a trade out there that moves the needle for this team that doesn't require them to give up one of their bigger wings, pick and more than likely Gabe Vincent. Vincent is the player they signed to be the change up to DLo. He hasn't been healthy but when he is we'll likely see the value there.

Trading for Lavine only presents the same defensive issues with a less balanced roster. Tyus Jones solves nothing.

stan francisco wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:First off it's not your money being spent. So unless we are having a conversation about having a fit a player financially its a nonsense conversation to have. D'Angelo Russell is a better basketball player than Tyus Jones. Every NBA GM would not debate this.

stan francisco wrote:
Bored?

Happy to continue the discussion when you’ve started watching his defense. Nothing personal. He hides on defense by the mid side of the key. We give up at least 10ppg due to this. I want us to win rings. See Denver WCF series.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,883

Post#16 » by LoveMyRaps » Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:41 pm

Would y'all take Schroder back?

He's been solid for us (got off to a blazing hot start but has cooled down in recent days).

I've always liked Dennis but he just doesn't make for a team that is entering a rebuild.

Schroder for Vincent + Christie is a deal I can see taking place on deadline day.

(FWIW Lakers are my second most watched team and I do believe he's the type of role player/ball handler the Lakers need off the bench)
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#17 » by MAMBAEMD » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:24 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:Would y'all take Schroder back?

He's been solid for us (got off to a blazing hot start but has cooled down in recent days).

I've always liked Dennis but he just doesn't make for a team that is entering a rebuild.

Schroder for Vincent + Christie is a deal I can see taking place on deadline day.

(FWIW Lakers are my second most watched team and I do believe he's the type of role player/ball handler the Lakers need off the bench)

I actually like Dennis but there is not a chance I'd give up both Vincent and Christie for him.
Christie is someone I look forward to developing as a Laker. His defensive game is improving, and his shot is decent.
Vincent will be a huge asset for us once he returns and in the playoffs.
Formerly lakerRD
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by stan francisco » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:22 am

Jody Smokz wrote:I know DLo is not a good defender. This is not a secret. However, Tyus Jones is not a good defender either. Atleast with Russell he gives you size at the position where he can't be picked out and shot over easily by most scorers. He's also not hurting the Lakers defensively the way you suggest despite his individual shortcomings.

There isn't a trade out there that moves the needle for this team that doesn't require them to give up one of their bigger wings, pick and more than likely Gabe Vincent. Vincent is the player they signed to be the change up to DLo. He hasn't been healthy but when he is we'll likely see the value there.

Trading for Lavine only presents the same defensive issues with a less balanced roster. Tyus Jones solves nothing.

stan francisco wrote:

You may have more in-depth knowledge of Tyus’s game than I do. But I did see with my own eyes how he fought like hell against us in the playoffs and showed all kinds of competitiveness and confidence when it mattered. And he tried hard on defense. Those are all things necessary to win rings and things I’ve never seen from D Lo.

If you’re right about how Tyus sucks even worse than D Lo on defense(!), and we can’t get a good return, then Fino is our next best defensive bet if it isn’t going to be Reaves or Christie. D Lo will have to sit in the playoffs as he did against Denver.

We need a starting PG with size who plays defense AND can score. It can’t be one of five playing hide-out. Not for a championship run. Nothing personal. This season is perhaps the last one in a while where we can compete for the title. Father Time always wins, even against LBJ.

Lewis and D Lo and one of Wood/Hayes/Castleton should net us a decent return.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#19 » by DanishLakerFan » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:20 am

loveshaq007 wrote:with the deadline approaching, who can we do without? who is worth giving up talent for?

expendable: gabe, christie jr

for right price: DLO, RUI, vando

everyone else, we shouldn't risk our chemistry for. I for one, would love to see Derozon/Caruso or Mitchel here

Trade 1: Gabe, Rui, Max for Derozan

Trade 2: Gabe, Rui, Max, DLO for Derozan and Caruso

Trade 3: Gabe, Rui, Dlo, and max.... for d.Mitchell and tristan

Trade 4 (easiest): Gabe and Max for Caruso

Untouchable: AD, Lebron
Nearly untouchable: Reaves (due to contract and general awesomeness)
Expendable: JHS (talented for sure, but too far down the road).
For the right price: Everyone else.

First and foremost, we need to see how Gabe Vincent works in this lineup before making any decisions. Adding him to the back-court rotation with Reaves and D’Lo should help a lot.

Caruso, Bogdanovic, DeRozan, Vucevic, Gary Trent Jr and Buddy Hield could be guys to consider.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#20 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Dec 11, 2023 2:24 pm

Some fans just need to exercise patience and also ENJOY THE DAMN SEASON lol. Trades don't automatically go well. You have to integrate guys mid year and unless it was a perfect fit (AD or Pau) OR a completely upgrade to the roster (trading away Russell Westbrook) then you have to be cautious. LA has already given up future assets.

If AD and Lebron are still who we think they are then with this roster they can get it done. If there is a tweak that needs to be made then do it but you need to make NEEDLE MOVING trades if you are going to be trading future assets on a team that has an aging star and another that's about to hit his post 30 years.

Trading DLo and Rui and future picks for Lavine is not a needle mover to me and Lavine will be 30 by the time Lebron likely moves on and LA will still be on the hook for like 3 years 40M+ a year.

Trading Rui and maybe JHS, filler and future picks for Jerami Grant does not move the needle to be out of picks in until 2030.

Trading anyone in the current rotation for Tyus Jones is going to downgrade their defense and likely hurt their offense b/c he's not an aggressive offensive player. He's a solid all around offensive backup PG that you can start in the regular season and he's not going to kill you offensively.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers