ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Deadline approaching - update Dennis return?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,546

Re: Trade Deadline approaching - update Dennis return? 

Post#261 » by stan francisco » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:28 pm

I’m probably in for Schroeder but it depends on the price. He’s tough, at least we know that. Vincent might be the better player when/if healthy.

Vincent / D Lo / Hayes for
Brown / Schroeder?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
zuju
Senior
And1: 122

Post#262 » by zuju » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:31 pm

loveshaq007 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:We need a big and a small in return if we give up Hayes. Already have 25 guards and wings.

Delon Wright and Gafford. Caruso and Drummond. O’Neal and Claxton. D Murray, Bruce Brown, Isaac, Finney-Smith…

D Lo, Gabe, Hayes, Reddish, FRP. Do it, Rob! :D

looks like Washington has a mandate for first round picks.... down Gabe, Hayes and protected FRP...for Gafford or tyus

Nick Richards and Miles.... for Gabe, Hayes, and FRP swap (or a protected FRP)... is also enticing...

We have very similar trade ideas. Delon Wright + Garford or Nick Richards + Miles both fit our needs nicely.

Otherwise, trade for a big with Dlo is what I see more sensible than trading for a guard. You always have to give up more to upgrade the same position. Dlo for Johnathan Issac or Vucevic is what I see plausible and fit us.

Trade to obtain any of the followings: Garfford, Larry Nance, Nick Richards, Johnathan Issac or Vucevic
Dream scenario for buyout: Waive Cam Reddish and Hayes. Sign Kyle Lowry and Gordon Hayward
loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 22

Post#263 » by loveshaq007 » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:20 pm

zuju wrote:
loveshaq007 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:We need a big and a small in return if we give up Hayes. Already have 25 guards and wings.

Delon Wright and Gafford. Caruso and Drummond. O’Neal and Claxton. D Murray, Bruce Brown, Isaac, Finney-Smith…

D Lo, Gabe, Hayes, Reddish, FRP. Do it, Rob! :D

looks like Washington has a mandate for first round picks.... down Gabe, Hayes and protected FRP...for Gafford or tyus

Nick Richards and Miles.... for Gabe, Hayes, and FRP swap (or a protected FRP)... is also enticing...

We have very similar trade ideas. Delon Wright + Garford or Nick Richards + Miles both fit our needs nicely.

Otherwise, trade for a big with Dlo is what I see more sensible than trading for a guard. You always have to give up more to upgrade the same position. Dlo for Johnathan Issac or Vucevic is what I see plausible and fit us.

Trade to obtain any of the followings: Garfford, Larry Nance, Nick Richards, Johnathan Issac or Vucevic
Dream scenario for buyout: Waive Cam Reddish and Hayes. Sign Kyle Lowry and Gordon Hayward

lol I was hoping that Lowry and Hayward got bought out too! maybe the move is to trade Hayes, gabe, and Cam to creat roster spaces now. I can see all of those guys going for a guy like Sexton, brogdon, or Schroeder+Thad, without giving up picks. we should have jumped on anfernee Simmons, when his value was low in the beginning of the season. miles could be had for Cam and Hayes too
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#264 » by Landsberger » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:17 pm

Hayward and Lowry are going to "lock" contenders... not here. My guess is teams like the Sixers, Boston or even Phoenix add player like this over us. We're not an aging former star away from contention.
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#265 » by loveshaq007 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:46 am

I have been loving Anthony Davis the season!

that being said, I've always been a huge advocate of trading him in the past seasons. And I know the Lakers will probably not even consider trading him for anyone, not named joker, embiid, or Luka. I wish they would consider trading with the hornets before they buy out Gordon Hayward.

a trade like miles bridges (expiring-who isn't coming back), Hayward (expiring-who isn't coming back), Nick Richards, and Brandon Miller... for AD, Cam and Gabe. (AD, Lamelo... they just need one other piece)

flip Hayward and Hayes, FRP, for DeRozan and Drummond (LOCK up him long term for cheap)

that makes us better long term and doesn't make us worse now. We could sign a star next season too with the cap space we have.

other teams that I can see us getting lots of value from is Detroit, Brooklyn, Cleveland, Miami (if Bam, jovic and JJ are on the table)
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#266 » by Anderson Hunt » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:47 am

Trade Schifino and a second for Davion Mitchell:

PG - Russell ------ Reaves ------ Vincent
SG - Vanderbilt - Mitchell ------ Christie
C --- Davis --------- Wood --------- Hayes
PF - James ------- Hachimura - Reddish
SF - Prince ------- (Rui/Van) ---- Lewis
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#267 » by loveshaq007 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:49 am

Anderson Hunt wrote:Trade Schifino and a second for Davion Mitchell:

I'll pass

hood, cam can get us caruso
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#268 » by LAKESHOW » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:51 am

Did u see DLos last few possessions against the warriors? Just before he hit the big shot? That kind of execution will kill us vs. Top teams
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#269 » by stan francisco » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:58 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Did u see DLos last few possessions against the warriors? Just before he hit the big shot? That kind of execution will kill us vs. Top teams

Shrinks when it matters, goes brainless. I was certain he had given away the game, playing one on five. He also didn’t help AD defend on that Curry turnaround dribble, spectated instead. I guess he redeemed himself with the big buckets.

His value should be high for a team where a young point guard needs some offensive tutoring. It’s a really a decent contract for what he brings offensively, which is still elite level.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#270 » by Anderson Hunt » Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:58 pm

loveshaq007 wrote:

I'll pass

Schifino and Reddish will not be near enough to get the Lakers Caruso.

You have to learn to think about the other team, not just yourself/your team.

I'm not sure what I can say to teach you "player value" other than to say Caruso is highly coveted throughout the league and there are many teams that could easily beat that paltry offer.
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 440

Post#271 » by Doug_12 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:
loveshaq007 wrote:

I'll pass

I'm not sure what I can say to teach you "player value" other than to say Caruso is highly coveted throughout the league and there are many teams that could easily beat that paltry offer.

But... why? I mean I'm not saying that we would or wouldn't do this, because I don't even understand what Davion Mitchell is supposed to provide for this team. Can you elaborate that?
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#272 » by Kilroy » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:54 pm

I don't think Caruso is that "highly coveted" throughout the league... And trading for him would just be a feel-good move for the fans calling for a change... Caruso is not going to get us closer to our goal.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#273 » by Up-And-Coming » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:11 pm

Landsberger wrote:Hayward and Lowry are going to "lock" contenders... not here. My guess is teams like the Sixers, Boston or even Phoenix add player like this over us. We're not an aging former star away from contention.

The new CBA imposed buyout market restrictions for teams exceeding the luxury tax which is the vast majority of the better teams. The Celtics, Bucks, Warriors, Clippers, Nuggets, Heat and Suns all fall under these restrictions and are unable to sign a player off the buyout market that was making more than the non-taxpayer MLE ($12.4 mil) like Lowry, Hayward, etc.

The Lakers are most likely the favorite to land at least one of the better players off the buyout market as they also deliberately positioned themselves to be able to offer more than the minimum as they didn't give Gabe Vincent the full MLE and can use the remaining amount as extra incentive for free agents bought out.

While players like Lowry and potentially Hayward/CP3 (not as likely they get bought out imo but there's a chance) are on the older side I would still gladly welcome them as I think they can still be quality rotation players in limited roles. Pretty confident the Lakers will bring at least one of them on.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#274 » by stan francisco » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:38 am

Up-And-Coming wrote:
Landsberger wrote:Hayward and Lowry are going to "lock" contenders... not here. My guess is teams like the Sixers, Boston or even Phoenix add player like this over us. We're not an aging former star away from contention.

The new CBA imposed buyout market restrictions for teams exceeding the luxury tax which is the vast majority of the better teams. The Celtics, Bucks, Warriors, Clippers, Nuggets, Heat and Suns all fall under these restrictions and are unable to sign a player off the buyout market that was making more than the non-taxpayer MLE ($12.4 mil) like Lowry, Hayward, etc.

The Lakers are most likely the favorite to land at least one of the better players off the buyout market as they also deliberately positioned themselves to be able to offer more than the minimum as they didn't give Gabe Vincent the full MLE and can use the remaining amount as extra incentive for free agents bought out.

While players like Lowry and potentially Hayward/CP3 (not as likely they get bought out imo but there's a chance) are on the older side I would still gladly welcome them as I think they can still be quality rotation players in limited roles. Pretty confident the Lakers will bring at least one of them on.

Interesting. Didn’t know about the CBA buyout restrictions. Good for us.

Sign me up for Lowry. He might have one last burst in him if moved to a new team.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#275 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:49 am

stan francisco wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:

Interesting. Didn’t know about the CBA buyout restrictions. Good for us.

Sign me up for Lowry. He might have one last burst in him if moved to a new team.

Ya it’s a new restriction designed to help prevent teams from “buying” championships in hopes to bring more parity.

I would gladly welcome Lowry too. While he’s older he’s still a quality backup and plays both ends. He can spread the floor and is a tough defender. I think there’s still a chance he picks his hometown Philadelphia 76ers (Villanova alumn too) and idk if they saved extra to give him like the Lakers but we should still have a solid chance with him or at least other buyout options.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#276 » by Anderson Hunt » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:49 am

Doug_12 wrote:
Anderson Hunt wrote:
loveshaq007 wrote:
I'll pass

But... why? I mean I'm not saying that we would or wouldn't do this, because I don't even understand what Davion Mitchell is supposed to provide for this team. Can you elaborate that?

The Lakers are "interested" in Dejounte Murray because he would potentially bring athleticism, speed, defense, scoring, and some playmaking. They want an infusion of "two-way" excellence in the backcourt.

Davion Mitchell is just a symbol/prototype.

Mitchell won't bring two-way excellence, but represents any player who brings impactful and physical point of attack defense and also speed and athleticism. He is also a symbol of how this prototype/need can be filled cheaply, how the front office doesn't have to spend nearly thirty million a year (on Murray) to fill this need while also giving up on the guy who's hitting 42% of his deep balls (Russell).

There are other guys like Mitchell who can cheaply fill this need for dogged point of attack defense and speed/athleticism (ie Aaron Holiday and others), but Mitchell is potentially the most impactful.

Davion Mitchell is a foil to Russell and Reaves. While Reaves and Russell are slow and prodding, Mitchell is quick and explosive. While Russell and Reaves are the last two guys you'd pick to play in the company football game, Davion Mitchell, even at only 6'1, is physically imposing and uses his girth to intimidate.

Murray, as I type, is all-around eons better than Mitchell. He scores better and he shoots better, but with Russell establishing himself as the clear-cut third wheel, this team doesn't need a guy like Murray who will struggle to replace Russell's shooting. They need a backcourt "dog". A role-player, much like Caruso, who gets in your shorts.

Davion Mitchell is better than Murray on defense, and in a year's time, with a defined role, he'll be better than Caruso on that end as well. He's elite defensively with a strong pedigree.

The question is his shot. While in college, his percentages were top-notch, but his shot hasn't translated yet. This begs the question: How is he any better than Reddish in the same defensive role? Simply put, he's faster, more physical, and defends smaller guards (6'4 and under) better. The Lakers need every bit of that speed, physicality, and dogged backcourt defense.

If (big-if) he ever gets his shot to start falling, he'd become an instant threat to Reaves for closing minutes, IMO.

Dejounte Murray and Patty Mills (the type of shooter they'd get to replace Russell) is simply not as good as Russell and Davion Mitchell. When you factor in the Lakers would be giving up the 2029 first rounder for Murray while Mitchell would only cost you at most two seconds, the picture becomes even clearer.

Losing Russell's shooting isn't worth adding Murray's athleticism and speed when you can add that same athleticism/speed and backcourt defense with a simple loss of Schifino and a second round pick (or two).

Any other questions?
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#277 » by Anderson Hunt » Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:03 am

Kilroy wrote:I don't think Caruso is that "highly coveted" throughout the league... And trading for him would just be a feel-good move for the fans calling for a change... Caruso is not going to get us closer to our goal.

Every single sentence here is wrong. Every last one.

I'm not a Caruso-fanatic at all, but:

(1) He is highly-coveted The Bulls just want two firsts for him and the teams that would meet that price, like the Bucks, don't have the picks to give.

(2) He isn't "just" feel-good. He has an elite skill -- defense. And he's shooting 42% from three (on low volume).

(3) He most definitely helps this team get better. He checks a lot of boxes beyond "just" emotions. In a vacuum, minus the potential cost to reacquire him, he's a great role-player, as 3&D as 3&D can get in an age of 3&D.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#278 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:29 am

Anderson Hunt wrote:
Kilroy wrote:I don't think Caruso is that "highly coveted" throughout the league... And trading for him would just be a feel-good move for the fans calling for a change... Caruso is not going to get us closer to our goal.

Every single sentence here is wrong. Every last one.

I'm not a Caruso-fanatic at all, but:

(1) He is highly-coveted The Bulls just want two firsts for him and the teams that would meet that price, like the Bucks, don't have the picks to give.

(2) He isn't "just" feel-good. He has an elite skill -- defense. And he's shooting 42% from three (on low volume).

(3) He most definitely helps this team get better. He checks a lot of boxes beyond "just" emotions. In a vacuum, minus the potential cost to reacquire him, he's a great role-player, as 3&D as 3&D can get in an age of 3&D.

Give it a rest. There's not a team in the league thats parting with 2 first rounders for Caruso's completely mediocre "role player" talent set. FFS....
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#279 » by danfantastk32 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:43 am

Anderson Hunt wrote:Dejounte Murray and Patty Mills (the type of shooter they'd get to replace Russell) is simply not as good as Russell and Davion Mitchell. When you factor in the Lakers would be giving up the 2029 first rounder for Murray while Mitchell would only cost you at most two seconds, the picture becomes even clearer.

Losing Russell's shooting isn't worth adding Murray's athleticism and speed when you can add that same athleticism/speed and backcourt defense with a simple loss of Schifino and a second round pick (or two).

Any other questions?

Well it looks like the Hawks (And the Lakers) beg to differ. According to the article here on RealGM:

""Los Angeles had reportedly offered Russell, a 2029 first-round pick and a future first-round pick swap as the base of a package for Murray. But any deal was contingent on finding a third team to take Russell.""

So once again......yeah, we'll take your picks, but you find some other sap to take your crap player.

Such inflated views of our team around here. Reason why we're .500, and it's not cause we're packed with talent. Davis and Lebron have remained pretty injury free so far, and have both played quite solid. And yet we hover at .500

Blow it up folks. We could get picks for Davis. Prob get something for Lebron. Your not getting SQUAT for anyone else. Give it up. Davis, Lebron, and a whole lotta SQUAT. We're throwing in picks with DLO (shows you what we think) and they want us to do the leg-work to find somewhere else for him to rot (Shows you what they think).

Someone a week or so ago proposed Reeves and 1st rounder for Donavan Mitchell. It's fantasy-land around here. And you yourself said Caruso and "Elite" in the same sentence.

Live your fantasy, and get disappointed for all I care. But the Lakers have a whole lotta jack-squat. Move Davis....get some picks, and let's blow this .500 sh**-show up, and reboot. Maybe we can get a 2nd rounder for DLo.....3rd-rounder, who cares?? just take it, and move on. Same with Reeves, Vanderbuilt, and all the rest of this amazing .500 squad we're sitting on.
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 489

Post#280 » by Showtime:Part2 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:30 am

This team is a contender with terry stotts at the helm. Trade Vincent and a first for draymond (if the warriors blow it up or decide to move on from dray) and run a lineup of dlo/ar/lbj/dray/ad against Denver. Even if you replace ham w stotts but don’t get draymond I think we make the finals by getting a guy like tyus/schroeder for Vincent and 4 seconds. Bottom line, coaching needs to change. This is a championship caliber team being run by maybe the worst coach I’ve seen in nba history (yes worse than Byron Scott)
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers