ImageImageImageImageImage

Trade Deadline approaching - update Dennis return?

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 25

Re: Trade Deadline approaching - who is expendable? 

Post#21 » by loveshaq007 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:58 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:Some fans just need to exercise patience and also ENJOY THE DAMN SEASON lol. Trades don't automatically go well. You have to integrate guys mid year and unless it was a perfect fit (AD or Pau) OR a completely upgrade to the roster (trading away Russell Westbrook) then you have to be cautious. LA has already given up future assets.

If AD and Lebron are still who we think they are then with this roster they can get it done. If there is a tweak that needs to be made then do it but you need to make NEEDLE MOVING trades if you are going to be trading future assets on a team that has an aging star and another that's about to hit his post 30 years.

Trading DLo and Rui and future picks for Lavine is not a needle mover to me and Lavine will be 30 by the time Lebron likely moves on and LA will still be on the hook for like 3 years 40M+ a year.

Trading Rui and maybe JHS, filler and future picks for Jerami Grant does not move the needle to be out of picks in until 2030.

Trading anyone in the current rotation for Tyus Jones is going to downgrade their defense and likely hurt their offense b/c he's not an aggressive offensive player. He's a solid all around offensive backup PG that you can start in the regular season and he's not going to kill you offensively.

I agree with most of your post... but trading for OG or pascal IS moving the needle. trading Rui and DLO... for someone like pascal... works. offensive beast that always shows up!
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 443

Post#22 » by Doug_12 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:56 pm

Do you think TOR would do a Hachimura+Hood-Schifino+Christie+1st for Anunoby deal? And would we?

The following lineup looks pretty good to me:

Vincent/Russell
Reaves/Reddish
Anunoby/Prince
James/Vanderbilt
Davis/Wood/Hayes

Especially that it will free up some cap space to sign a vet min small wing/big guard FA, like Rodney McGruder or Austin Rivers who could maybe compete with Reddish.

I'd also like seeing Russell playing against mostly bench units. In that setup his defensive issues will be less exploitable. Even playing him with Wood wouldn't be something I'm scared about.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,393

Post#23 » by Jody Smokz » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:19 pm

In what world do you think the Lakers are going to get Pascal or OG for DLo and Rui? Fans need to be realistic.

It cost LA to a protected 2027 1st just to get DLo and 2 bench players in Vando and Beasley while moving Westbrook on an expiring. OG is a sought after player. Lakers are not even in the conversation at this point.

loveshaq007 wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:Some fans just need to exercise patience and also ENJOY THE DAMN SEASON lol. Trades don't automatically go well. You have to integrate guys mid year and unless it was a perfect fit (AD or Pau) OR a completely upgrade to the roster (trading away Russell Westbrook) then you have to be cautious. LA has already given up future assets.

If AD and Lebron are still who we think they are then with this roster they can get it done. If there is a tweak that needs to be made then do it but you need to make NEEDLE MOVING trades if you are going to be trading future assets on a team that has an aging star and another that's about to hit his post 30 years.

Trading DLo and Rui and future picks for Lavine is not a needle mover to me and Lavine will be 30 by the time Lebron likely moves on and LA will still be on the hook for like 3 years 40M+ a year.

Trading Rui and maybe JHS, filler and future picks for Jerami Grant does not move the needle to be out of picks in until 2030.

Trading anyone in the current rotation for Tyus Jones is going to downgrade their defense and likely hurt their offense b/c he's not an aggressive offensive player. He's a solid all around offensive backup PG that you can start in the regular season and he's not going to kill you offensively.

I agree with most of your post... but trading for OG or pascal IS moving the needle. trading Rui and DLO... for someone like pascal... works. offensive beast that always shows up!
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#24 » by TimeisIllmatic » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:29 pm

The way I see it is the Lakers do not need another point guard unless it's a star (which isn't happening). D'Lo has been fine so far and Reaves has been great playing as a backup PG.

The needs of this team is a SG or SF that can shoot the 3 really well and a good rebounding big man that can give AD more rest.

One or two of those needs could potentially be addressed once buyout time happens.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by TimeisIllmatic » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:35 pm

Doug_12 wrote:Do you think TOR would do a Hachimura+Hood-Schifino+Christie+1st for Anunoby deal? And would we?

The following lineup looks pretty good to me:

Vincent/Russell
Reaves/Reddish
Anunoby/Prince
James/Vanderbilt
Davis/Wood/Hayes

Especially that it will free up some cap space to sign a vet min small wing/big guard FA, like Rodney McGruder or Austin Rivers who could maybe compete with Reddish.

I'd also like seeing Russell playing against mostly bench units. In that setup his defensive issues will be less exploitable. Even playing him with Wood wouldn't be something I'm scared about.

I think Toronto wants a player that can potentially become a star for OG which definitely is unreasonable for other teams looking to acquire OG but from Toronto's perspective they know the value OG can bring to a contending team which is why their asking price is so high. I think OG will end up re-signing with Toronto in the offseason.
Godfather13
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#26 » by Godfather13 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:08 am

Untouchable -
AR, Rui, Max, Cam, TP

Yeah I added Rui and TP.
Rui cos of the same reason as Austin - big game player & our biggest non-Lebron wing who can be thrown at Joker for AD free safety coverage.
TP - Because he's shooting 46% 3fg the last 10 games on a near minimum contract. You ain't replacing that - PERIOD!

Expendables -
Basically everyone else for exactly the right fit and price.

Targets -
AC - seems fairly impossible considering how highly coveted he is gonna be & the fact that Bulls & Lakers don't exactly fack with each other

Wizards -
Delon Wright - under the radar top 5 POA guard in the league for the last 3 years & shoots league average, on an awesome contract.
Tyus Jones - Great back up/starting PG to feed AD, but he wasn't great in the playoffs, so Idk the viability of trading DLo, just to include him, since we can probably get Delon for Gabe or two other Vet Min salaries

Raptors -
Siakam - makes basically everyone but Austin dispensable
OG - I'd give up Rui & Max for him

Highly unlikely we even get on the table to discuss these with cuckoo Masai, cos he's turning out to be a total egotistical moron since the 2019 title, who might ask for 3 FRPs for OG even if he's about to lose him for free in the off season.

Ideally, OG for a protected FRP + DLo is a great return on a possible FA in the off season & he is a Klutch guy, which helps. F*cking Masai though.
Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Post#27 » by Pythagoras » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:23 am

TimeisIllmatic wrote:The way I see it is the Lakers do not need another point guard unless it's a star (which isn't happening). D'Lo has been fine so far and Reaves has been great playing as a backup PG.

The needs of this team is a SG or SF that can shoot the 3 really well and a good rebounding big man that can give AD more rest.

One or two of those needs could potentially be addressed once buyout time happens.

This is another great point about the buyout market. Often tanking teams will meet with expiring vets to discuss their… “future” with the team, and it leads to interesting players hitting the buyout market. Gordon Hayward is a guy that the Lakers should have one eye one.
Numbers rule the universe.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#28 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:49 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
TimeisIllmatic wrote:The way I see it is the Lakers do not need another point guard unless it's a star (which isn't happening). D'Lo has been fine so far and Reaves has been great playing as a backup PG.

This is another great point about the buyout market. Often tanking teams will meet with expiring vets to discuss their… “future” with the team, and it leads to interesting players hitting the buyout market. Gordon Hayward is a guy that the Lakers should have one eye one.

As you describe, I’d like to pounce on any offer like that, but for a defensive perimeter guard. One solid tweak to our guard defense and we can go from contenders to favorites.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by TimeisIllmatic » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:01 pm

Pythagoras wrote:

Now Hayward would be an interesting situation. He is making 31.5 million this year with a 15% trade kicker (https://www.spotrac.com/nba/charlotte-hornets/gordon-hayward-6891/). I think that would probably make a trade very unrealistic which therefore could make a buyout situation plausible. Gordon is 33 so I'd imagine he'd want a last go around in trying to win a ring.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by TimeisIllmatic » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:03 pm

stan francisco wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:

As you describe, I’d like to pounce on any offer like that, but for a defensive perimeter guard. One solid tweak to our guard defense and we can go from contenders to favorites.

Just from my perspective, I think the Lakers are fine on the defensive end. Gabe, Reddish, Vando seem like enough defensively to cover guards/wings that give trouble on the offensive end. A shooting threat I think is the cherry on top for this team. There isn't anyone currently on the roster who I see as a shooting threat.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,529

Post#31 » by elchengue20 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:42 pm

Your guard rotation is ok with Reaves and Vincent, you have enough playmaking, shooting and defense there.

D-Lo is the odd man out, you should package him with a pick and try to upgrade your wings like Prince or Rui for a better version. Or get a big guard who can defend wings like Caruso.

If this team is going to win, its playing defense like in 2020. You need another good 3+D switcheable perimeter player, not a scoring guard. Lavine is a bad idea and Derozan even worse.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,558

Post#32 » by stan francisco » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:51 pm

TimeisIllmatic wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:

Just from my perspective, I think the Lakers are fine on the defensive end. Gabe, Reddish, Vando seem like enough defensively to cover guards/wings that give trouble on the offensive end. A shooting threat I think is the cherry on top for this team. There isn't anyone currently on the roster who I see as a shooting threat.

We can’t add another offense-only player if we trade one away. No more defense-only players either. We have too many one way players.

Our interior defense is stellar. If we can shut down the perimeter, too…

Our whole roster knows how to run the break. We score enough to win rings — if — we can only shut down our perimeter.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,705

Post#33 » by Up-And-Coming » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:45 am

Lakers have to seriously consider trading their pick this season for an upgrade as Lebron and AD have proven so far they are still a top duo imo. We have to be aggressive for the right move while Lebron is still going strong at 39 and gives us our best chance to peak the highest while we still have him. The 17th pick would have been ideal to trade for an upgrade but I guess there wasn't anything worthwhile in the offseason.

Ideally, I would prefer a smaller trade like Caruso + Drummond for Vincent + Wood + FRP

Chicago seems to be more set to move Lavine and hesitant to move Caruso but I've been warming up to the idea of Lavine IF we can get Caruso too (DLo + Rui + Vincent + JHS + FRP). Zach has the Klutch, UCLA connection and is in his prime and an elite catch and shoot player but has some injury concerns on a large contract.

Other players to keep an eye for:

OG Anunoby (probably priced out of our range)
Matisse Thybulle (still young on a solid contract and turned into a legitimate 3 and D player)
Jerami Grant (defense is a bit overrated but he would be a legitimate 3rd option on offense but is also locked on a fairly large contract)
Skylar Mays (could be a decent throw-in as part of a package deal)
Kelly Olynyk (ideally would be a buyout option)
DeMar Derozan (on a reasonable deal but expiring; turned into a solid defensive player and legitimate scoring option. Improving but not a prolific 3 point shooter)
Alec Burks (solid 3 and D rotation player on an expiring)
Dorian Finney Smith (3 and D)
Royce O'Neale (expiring 3 and D)
John Konchar (cheap expiring defensive backup guard/wing)
Miles Bridges (idk????)
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 334

Post#34 » by Hans1984 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:41 pm

Vanderbilt. We need players to be available and hes not.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#35 » by Godfather13 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:10 pm

Up-And-Coming wrote:Lakers have to seriously consider trading their pick this season for an upgrade as Lebron and AD have proven so far they are still a top duo imo. We have to be aggressive for the right move while Lebron is still going strong at 39 and gives us our best chance to peak the highest while we still have him. The 17th pick would have been ideal to trade for an upgrade but I guess there wasn't anything worthwhile in the offseason.

Ideally, I would prefer a smaller trade like Caruso + Drummond for Vincent + Wood + FRP

Chicago seems to be more set to move Lavine and hesitant to move Caruso but I've been warming up to the idea of Lavine IF we can get Caruso too (DLo + Rui + Vincent + JHS + FRP). Zach has the Klutch, UCLA connection and is in his prime and an elite catch and shoot player but has some injury concerns on a large contract.

Other players to keep an eye for:

OG Anunoby (probably priced out of our range) Ideally shouldn't be priced out of our range cos he's on an expiring contract, but I can see Masai acting insane and just letting him walk for nothing in the off season. Completely asinine.
Matisse Thybulle (still young on a solid contract and turned into a legitimate 3 and D player) Great call out. He has improved a tad bit on the offensive end, and is an actually elite POA/perimeter defender, that people perceive Vando to be.. lol
Jerami Grant (defense is a bit overrated but he would be a legitimate 3rd option on offense but is also locked on a fairly large contract) Too Expensive & doesn't have elite enough shooting to space for AD-Bron
Skylar Mays (could be a decent throw-in as part of a package deal)
Kelly Olynyk (ideally would be a buyout option) Excellent fit for us, but Ham has so far absolutely refused to use Wood in any pick and pop/roll action, which are his strengths. So I doubt he'll figure out how to use Olynyk's skill set. Side note - Utah have no reason to buy him out cos they're below tax and winning.
DeMar Derozan (on a reasonable deal but expiring; turned into a solid defensive player and legitimate scoring option. Improving but not a prolific 3 point shooter) Same as Grant. Too expensive & can't space well enough to let AD-Bron cook inside
Alec Burks (solid 3 and D rotation player on an expiring)Great option if he's available
Dorian Finney Smith (3 and D) Didn't Marks want like 3 FRPs for him last year.. lol
Royce O'Neale (expiring 3 and D) Same as OG. Excellent option if Nets/Raptors wanna deal. And a FRP is a handsome consolation for an expiring contract.
John Konchar (cheap expiring defensive backup guard/wing)
Miles Bridges (idk????) Bring in the 4th Domestic Abuser in Jeanie's reign by all means. lol. He'd be an awesome addition, if the woke police would allow it. Personally IDGAF, just get me #18.

Solid list. My thoughts in blue ^
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#36 » by Godfather13 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:15 pm

If GSW trade CP >> leading to a buyout from his next team, I'd love to get him. Makes DLo's playmaking to AD(1.75 assists/game) totally redundant. As of now I value it a tad bit, so a bit cautious about trading him for a random talent, that may or may not fit as well.

CP would be a substantial upgrade in the playmaking & game planning department + he has proven to be an incredible playmaking player-coach for younger guards like Harden, SGA & Book in his last 3 stops. Could possibly help out Austin in the same way.
loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 25

Post#37 » by loveshaq007 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:40 pm

pj tucker if bought out?
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 443

Post#38 » by Doug_12 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:57 pm

loveshaq007 wrote:pj tucker if bought out?

Pass for me. The guy is completely washed, can't even get to the regular rotation in a team, where there are only 2 forwards (who, by the way, used to load manage a lot).
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,767

Post#39 » by nzahir » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:28 am

Godfather13 wrote:If GSW trade CP >> leading to a buyout from his next team, I'd love to get him. Makes DLo's playmaking to AD(1.75 assists/game) totally redundant. As of now I value it a tad bit, so a bit cautious about trading him for a random talent, that may or may not fit as well.

CP would be a substantial upgrade in the playmaking & game planning department + he has proven to be an incredible playmaking player-coach for younger guards like Harden, SGA & Book in his last 3 stops. Could possibly help out Austin in the same way.

Sure I would take Cp3 if he was bought out and we move Dlo for a solid 2 way wing or bigger guard
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,827

Post#40 » by TyCobb » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:59 pm

We’re getting Lavine tomorrow aren’t we…

The most I’d give up is Russell, Wood, Hood-Schifino, Vincent and picks for Lavine. Christie and Rui stay. Lebron new PG and backup will be a PG who gets bought out.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers