ImageImageImageImageImage

Hood vs Jaime

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 20

Hood vs Jaime 

Post#1 » by loveshaq007 » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:08 pm

are any of you guys upset that we didn't draft Jaime?

I thought he was the perfect fit and need. I was kind of upset about it, but then there is a raving reviews about hood.

seeing what he's doing out there in Miami has definitely got me upset even more now.

are you all upset or indifferent because of high hopes?
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Re: Hood vs Jaime 

Post#2 » by dockingsched » Mon Jan 1, 2024 1:45 am

I don’t think I’ll get over it. Homegrown ucla kid, would’ve been great from the Los Angeles community where we’d never had a fellow Latino on the lakers to cheer for.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#3 » by loveshaq007 » Mon Jan 1, 2024 6:08 pm

I thought Jordan farmer and Rick Fox had some Latin background. it could be very wrong. but Pau gasol is Spanish
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 3,957

Post#4 » by ejftw » Mon Jan 1, 2024 7:47 pm

loveshaq007 wrote:I thought Jordan farmer and Rick Fox had some Latin background. it could be very wrong. but Pau gasol is Spanish

Could be wrong but assuming it was meant Latino from the region (born in Irvine, raised in Oxnard)

Not Laker fan obviously, but thread title caught my eye as I was hoping both would slip to #30. Fino is more of a long term pick, and I'd bet the FO felt comfortable with Rui to not pick up a young tweener like Hawk.
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,821

Post#5 » by TyCobb » Tue Jan 2, 2024 1:37 pm

Never liked Hood in the draft and yes this would’ve been a big fan favorite.
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#6 » by TimeisIllmatic » Fri Jan 5, 2024 10:06 pm

I'll still hold out hope for JHS. He probably won't show any type of progression until year 3 or 4.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#7 » by TylersLakers » Fri Jan 5, 2024 11:40 pm

It's not even Jaime.

It's the fact we used the pick, period. We had to trade that pick for someone with value. DFS, O'Neale, Caruso, etc.

I had no idea who JHS was or really any of the prospects around our pick. I haven't been nearly as invested in college ball as I used to be. But I did watch JHS in summer league. I watched every one of the games and as I was watching him, I had no idea what the Lakers saw in him other than his love for Kobe. This is what I saw in summer league.

- A player who's not very athletic
- A player who struggles to shoot from distance
- Good pick and roll reads
- Solid size for a guard

The combination of a player not being athletic and not being able to shoot is a horrendous match in today's NBA. You either need to be super skilled, super athletic or both. If you have neither of those qualities - you cannot survive. The league is too talented.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#8 » by zimpy27 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:48 pm

Yeah it was an odd selection.

They are effectively are banking on the upside of a project player over a win now rookie in Jaime.

Just a weird move to make when your window is now
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#9 » by Jody Smokz » Tue Jan 9, 2024 10:24 pm

Hindsight is always funny but Jamie is likely in the same position JHS is if they drafted him. At no point is he realistically getting minutes where Bron/Rui/Vando and even Prince would be on this team. Miami had real opportunity for him.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,887

Post#10 » by Colbinii » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:02 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:Hindsight is always funny but Jamie is likely in the same position JHS is if they drafted him. At no point is he realistically getting minutes where Bron/Rui/Vando and even Prince would be on this team. Miami had real opportunity for him.

LOL what?

Jaime would definitely be on the court.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#11 » by Jody Smokz » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:19 am

How so? You mean Darvin Ham that's playing Cam Reddish 25+mpg a night is going to be playing Jaime Jacquez? Sure...good thing all we can do is speculate

Colbinii wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:Hindsight is always funny but Jamie is likely in the same position JHS is if they drafted him. At no point is he realistically getting minutes where Bron/Rui/Vando and even Prince would be on this team. Miami had real opportunity for him.

LOL what?

Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,887

Post#12 » by Colbinii » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:30 am

Jody Smokz wrote:How so? You mean Darvin Ham that's playing Cam Reddish 25+mpg a night is going to be playing Jaime Jacquez? Sure...good thing all we can do is speculate

Colbinii wrote:

LOL what?

You know Christie is younger and far worse than JJJ and plays, right?

You're pretty delusional if you think JJJ wouldn't play.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#13 » by Jody Smokz » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:42 am

I don't have faith in Darvin Scam for that to happen

Colbinii wrote:
Jody Smokz wrote:How so? You mean Darvin Ham that's playing Cam Reddish 25+mpg a night is going to be playing Jaime Jacquez? Sure...good thing all we can do is speculate

Colbinii wrote:
LOL what?

You know Christie is younger and far worse than JJJ and plays, right?

You're pretty delusional if you think JJJ wouldn't play.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#14 » by zimpy27 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:09 am

Meanwhile Cam Whitmore is looking great in extended minutes.

PER of 21, TS% of 0.64
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#15 » by Jody Smokz » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:41 pm

Cam Whitmore has also been getting G League reps this year. He's played 13 games, JHS has played 1. Cam is another one, if LA had drafted him there are no minutes for him to play his position.

zimpy27 wrote:Meanwhile Cam Whitmore is looking great in extended minutes.

PER of 21, TS% of 0.64
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#16 » by Up-And-Coming » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:13 am

Coming into the draft JHS wasn't on the top of my list but as fans we often find ourselves to be overly reactionary. While Jaime Jaquez Jr and to a lesser extent Cam Whitmore have been a lot more impressive in the first half of their rookie seasons it's still way too early to completely give up on a rookie. Jaime also was an older 4 year UCLA grad while JHS declared after his freshman season. JHS especially has hardly received any reps (all sporadic and minimal) and while he has been very underwhelming the sample size is simply too small and it's obvious his confidence and rhythm/shot just hasn't been there. I think this is most evident by his 54% free throw percentage (21 out of 39) through all 20 games he's played; 6 Summer League games, 4 preseason games and 10 regular season games. JHS has never been a 50% free throw shooter and even going back to Indiana he shot 78% from the line on more attempts. As we all know free throws are unguarded so his confidence was clearly shaken and it got into his head.

Quietly, as he's been placed on the G League assignments he's having his best stretch of basketball as a Laker.

In 5 games:

19 ppg 2.8 reb 4 assts 3.4 tov 1 stl on 41/38/81 shooting splits.

While it may not be super impressive it certainly is progress and the shooting splits are closer to what you would expect. His 3 point shot has been falling along with his free throws and he's been getting quite a lot of attempts from both. He also most recently had a game winner. I'm not saying he's completely turned around either but it's something to keep an eye on.
zuju
Senior
And1: 122

Post#17 » by zuju » Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:41 am

It's hard to compare the two

Jaime is more of a complete product as a forward with 4 years of university basketball. JHS is a developing PG with only 1 year of university basketball under his belt.

Every one knows that point guards need more time to nurture. Now, its Jaime who impress. He is and will be a good player. I see JHS having a longer NBA career with similar / higher ceiling like a mike conely type of player.

Too soon to give up on him now. Keep him instead of trade him.
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#18 » by loveshaq007 » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:23 pm

zuju wrote:It's hard to compare the two

Jaime is more of a complete product as a forward with 4 years of university basketball. JHS is a developing PG with only 1 year of university basketball under his belt.

Every one knows that point guards need more time to nurture. Now, its Jaime who impress. He is and will be a good player. I see JHS having a longer NBA career with similar / higher ceiling like a mike conely type of player.

it's crazy that we are considering trading him for murray
Jody Smokz
Starter

Post#19 » by Jody Smokz » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:16 am

Why is JHS not playing G League games if he's going to be a bench warmer? It doesn't make any sense.
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#20 » by loveshaq007 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 3:13 am

zuju wrote:It's hard to compare the two

I just don't understand why we took on a project when we need to win now with an old LeBron. James and an aging. Anthony Davis.

we should have went after JJ or Cam whitmore who are more NBA ready.

speaking of which, who would you guys choose Cam whitmore or JJ?

Return to Los Angeles Lakers