ImageImageImageImageImage

The Dejonte Murray trade + Max over Reaves Instead

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,188

The Dejonte Murray trade + Max over Reaves Instead 

Post#1 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:48 am

I know this should be In the trade thread but wanted to create a new thread as Murray Is the go to guy for this up trade deadline apart from maybe Capela?

Talks are saying that

Atlanta: Dlo/Rui and or Reaves OR both Dlo/Reaves for Murray +picks etc

It seems that Atlanta won't do trade unless Involves Reaves ...

IMO Atlanta should be going for MAX CHRISTIE Instead of AUSTIN REAVES.

Let's face It Atlanta Is not going to win anything IN the next 5 (Reaves will be 30, Max 25Ish) years In their rebuild mode West and East too tough for them while rebuilding.

Austin Reaves: Is a ready now player and been developed already has much hype etc etc But Is 25 years old already starting a rebuild wouldn't you want to get younger and start developing players for future (like okc?) especially If you not going to win next 5 years or so?

Max Christie: has a lot of potential young age 20 years ready for more minutes and a fresh start, Lakers not using him right as much as I like Max - Ham Is dumb LOL

So In saying all that I'm proposing this deal and I know Rui can't be traded until Jan 15th (2days from my time:))

Lakers In:
Dejounte Murray

Lakers Out:
Dlo/Rui/Max Christie + 1st round pick and 1 or 2 2nd round picks to sweeten the deal If need

Why for Lakers:?

Lakers keep Reaves to pair with Ad/Bron and Murray/Reaves backcourt

Why for Atlanta:? Not winning anything next 5 years, they get younger with max and draft picks and start developing, while getting both Rui/Dlo to both who are In need of new teams as neither are Laker material IMO
I would offer Vando but he can't get traded until March sometime.

Lakers need either to go for a Big man that can play along side AD (Capela) OR go for a PG can actually control the ball etc (Murray?)

Lakers future lineup? After deadline :) Post bron build around AD/Murray/Reaves

C:AD
PF: Bron?
SF: Cam/Prince??
SG: Reaves
PG: D.Murray

Feel free to merg to trade thread :)

Peace: :)
Bring back Defense
Ball4life32
Veteran
And1: 2,470

Re: The Dejonte Murray trade + Max over Reaves Instead 

Post#2 » by Ball4life32 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:46 pm

Atlanta doesn’t consider this and multiple teams beat this offer easily. And hawks are not adding value to Murray to get Reaves. Hawks traded a lot for Murray and he’s locked up long term he doesn’t get moved this cheap.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#3 » by stan francisco » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:18 pm

Given our two recent signings of Mays and Windler I think Cam, one of Reaves / Christie, along w D Lo (exp) are on the block.

If you ask me, Rui is not added to that unless we get a high quality big back.

I think we’re trading small for big, trading many players for a quality guard and a low post big in return.

Vincent will soon be back. Mays can handle, play-make a bit and shoot. Windler is a sniper who crashes the boards at an elite clip, will be a great spark off the bench.

I think Rob will make some good moves before the deadline.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#4 » by TylersLakers » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:08 pm

Apparently the sticking point is Reaves. If I have to give up Reaves, I'm not doing the deal. Reaves is on a fantastic contract and the difference between the two I don't think is that great. Murray is a better player but I don't think by much.

I saw something yesterday that Zach Lowe said he spoke to executives and he thinks if the Lakers put Reaves on the table, they'd be able to get back Capela and Bogdanovic. Great - that means we're sending out Reaves, D-Lo, Rui. How does that make any sense?

The only way I can see Murray being traded here is if Atlanta caves and makes a deal without Reaves. And I think they'll have better offers out there.

The best Laker offer is taking Capela off their books.

D'Lo, Rui, Christie, JHS, 2027 1st (if it lands 1-3), 2029 unprotected, 2nd rounders, pick swap for Dejounte Murray, Capela.

Lakers Roster:

Murray/Reaves/Prince/Bron/AD with Vando, Capela, Wood, Reddish, Vincent when he gets back.

Does that deal even make the Lakers better? If Vincent was healthy and playing well, I'd say yes. But boy oh boy would we need a guard in the worst way after that. I'd scrap the Murray ideas and use Vincent's contract plus the pick to go for someone who can play in a playoff game: Caruso, DFS, O'Neale, etc. Then you keep D-Lo.

Vincent, JHS, Top 3 protected 2029 1st for DFS is the most realistic deal I see with the Bulls being better and Caruso likely off the board.

Reaves/Prince/DFS/LeBron/AD with D-Lo, Rui, Vando, Wood off the bench. Still have Christie who could easily slide in the Vando role if he gets played off the floor in the playoffs. We would have another roster spot open for someone like Gordon Hayward.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,188

Post#5 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:12 pm

As long as Lakers keep Reaves I'm happy :) for any trade really :)
Bring back Defense
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,290

Post#6 » by tamaraw08 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:06 am

SlimShady83 wrote:As long as Lakers keep Reaves I'm happy :) for any trade really :)

Yeah I don’t trade Reaves and picks unless I get a legit star like Mitchell or Siakam.
Plus Murray is not a legit shooter floor spacer anyway so he’s like a younger Westbrook.
Might as well settle for a legit role player like Josh Hart, Caruso, DFS, Royce ONeal? Brogdon?
loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#7 » by loveshaq007 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:55 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:As long as Lakers keep Reaves I'm happy :) for any trade really :)

Yeah I don’t trade Reaves and picks unless I get a legit star like Mitchell or Siakam.
Plus Murray is not a legit shooter floor spacer anyway so he’s like a younger Westbrook.
Might as well settle for a legit role player like Josh Hart, Caruso, DFS, Royce ONeal? Brogdon?

exactly... for Mitchel... I'm down

reaves, Dlo, and Gabe for Mitchel, emoni and sam
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#8 » by loveshaq007 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:04 am

loveshaq007 wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

exactly... for Mitchel... I'm down

reaves, Dlo, and Gabe for Mitchel, emoni and sam

I would also consider Lauri..... reaves, Gabe, Hayes for lauri and kelly
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#9 » by loveshaq007 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:17 am

last scenarios...

3: pascal and Immanuel.... for Dlo, Gabe, and reaves

4: Derozan, Drummond, Caruso... for Dlo, Gabe, and reaves
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#10 » by Anderson Hunt » Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:47 pm

Murray is not the ideal fit for what this team needs. If the Lakers make this trade, it will be further proof that Pelinka doesn't understand how pieces fit together. The Westbrook trade idea should've been shutdown the moment it entered his restless mind. It was a horrible idea from the onset, and adding Murray is not much different.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#11 » by Anderson Hunt » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:11 pm

Pelinka's problem is that he forces playing styles to fit based on outliers. Dennis Schroder shot 39% from three in OKC the year before coming to the Lakers, and Pelinka said to himself "We got ourselves a shooter" when he should've looked deeper into the numbers and saw that Schroder consistently shot around 33% from three. That year in OKC with Chris Paul was an outlier, but Pelinka couldn't get past his hard-on that this is "the guy".

He's doing the same thing with Murray. Murray is having an outlier year from three shooting 39% on six attempts. For his career, Murray is shooting the same as Schroder around 33%, but Pelinka will almost assuredly call Murray a great shooter when he hasn't proven that yet, and that's my problem with Pelinka. He looks at Westbrook's best year shooting threes in OKC (34%), and thinks "he'll shoot that easily on the Lakers" ignoring the 30% he's shot every other year.

Players can change, but you shouldn't bank on it. Jason Kidd was a god-awful shooter before he went back to Dallas and won a ring, but before he all of a sudden shot over 40% from three in Dallas, he shot 36% one year in Jersey, 35% the next year, 34% the next, and 38% in his final year there. Kidd's sublime shooting in Dallas wasn't an outlier. He had worked himself up into an above average three-point shooter. At that point of his career, you could expect him to shoot over 35%, and that's what he did (and more).
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#12 » by loveshaq007 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:29 pm

vando, Gabe for lauri should be the focus.... if not carusoe or Murray as fall back plans
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Anderson Hunt » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:58 pm

loveshaq007 wrote:vando, Gabe for lauri should be the focus.... if not carusoe or Murray as fall back plans

Beyond the fact that Vanderbilt can't be traded until next year, are you able to think of Utah at all?

They'd have zero interest in Vincent and Vanderbilt for Markennan. Every other team in the league would beat that offer.
Godfather13
Sophomore
And1: 47

Post#14 » by Godfather13 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:41 am

Facts:

Murray's value to ATL
Murray fits exceptionally well with Trae. Has been super productive & re-signed long term to an insanely team friendly contract ATL value Murray as highly as they bought him for, if not more.

Reason ATL are shopping Murray
They loaded up on salaries fooled by the ECF run a couple of years ago in the most injury prone playoffs in recent history. Capela & Hunter's 132 mil combined isn't looking so good considering their Hunter's form and Capela just being washed now. Neither of those two are worth the money.

ATL will give someone a discount on Murray to someone who takes their bad money on.

They are not looking for a simple deal like this cos their GM is infatuated with Reaves' white hooper swag -

Reaves + filler salary + FRP
FOR
Murray

That's a deal Lakers should and hopefully would 100% make, because Murray is a massive upgrade on both ends over Reaves.

What ATL want is something like this -

Reaves+fillers(incl Rui, cos we have no other large enough salary other than DLo)+NO PICKS
FOR
Murray+Hunter+Capela

The pick they're forgoing is for Lakers to agree to commit suicide with 132 mil worth of bad money on their books.

It's not a deal I see the Lakers making considering how cheap Jeanie is. Nor do I see us being involved with Lavine, cos no trade for him makes much sense financially or in a basketball sense.

Let's just wait for the snake oil salesman to do whatever he wants for another year of missed title contention.

PS: We should just start shopping AD & Lebron atp if we're not All-In about winning. Recoup some picks and try to build through Free Agency and draft. This shoe string budget with a dollar store coach and GM is just embarrassing for Dr Buss' legacy ATP.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#15 » by Godfather13 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:50 am

Anderson Hunt wrote:Pelinka's problem is that he forces playing styles to fit based on outliers. Dennis Schroder shot 39% from three in OKC the year before coming to the Lakers, and Pelinka said to himself "We got ourselves a shooter" when he should've looked deeper into the numbers and saw that Schroder consistently shot around 33% from three. That year in OKC with Chris Paul was an outlier, but Pelinka couldn't get past his hard-on that this is "the guy".

He's doing the same thing with Murray. Murray is having an outlier year from three shooting 39% on six attempts. For his career, Murray is shooting the same as Schroder around 33%, but Pelinka will almost assuredly call Murray a great shooter when he hasn't proven that yet, and that's my problem with Pelinka. He looks at Westbrook's best year shooting threes in OKC (34%), and thinks "he'll shoot that easily on the Lakers" ignoring the 30% he's shot every other year.

Players can change, but you shouldn't bank on it. Jason Kidd was a god-awful shooter before he went back to Dallas and won a ring, but before he all of a sudden shot over 40% from three in Dallas, he shot 36% one year in Jersey, 35% the next year, 34% the next, and 38% in his final year there. Kidd's sublime shooting in Dallas wasn't an outlier. He had worked himself up into an above average three-point shooter. At that point of his career, you could expect him to shoot over 35%, and that's what he did (and more).

Great points.

I think he also does his recruitment based of the theme of the season -

2021-22 - Washed Shooters, cos we shot poorly in 2021 Suns series, cos it's all about putting it in the bucket
2022-23 - Russ, cos I can blame Lebron, who, by the way, also wanted Ty Lue & Caruso & Dame & Kyrie & Buddy & Myles & all picks traded
2023-24 - Tall athletes with half a brain and no shooting, cos basketball is a sport for tall people

I'm so sick of Jeanie's numbskulls sucking this organization this club dry.
Ball4life32
Veteran

Post#16 » by Ball4life32 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:51 am

Godfather13 wrote:Facts:

Murray's value to ATL
Murray fits exceptionally well with Trae. Has been super productive & re-signed long term to an insanely team friendly contract ATL value Murray as highly as they bought him for, if not more.

Reason ATL are shopping Murray
They loaded up on salaries fooled by the ECF run a couple of years ago in the most injury prone playoffs in recent history. Capela & Hunter's 132 mil combined isn't looking so good considering their Hunter's form and Capela just being washed now. Neither of those two are worth the money.

ATL will give someone a discount on Murray to someone who takes their bad money on.

They are not looking for a simple deal like this cos their GM is infatuated with Reaves' white hooper swag -

Reaves + filler salary + FRP
FOR
Murray

That's a deal Lakers should and hopefully would 100% make, because Murray is a massive upgrade on both ends over Reaves.

What ATL want is something like this -

Reaves+fillers(incl Rui, cos we have no other large enough salary other than DLo)+NO PICKS
FOR
Murray+Hunter+Capela

The pick they're forgoing is for Lakers to agree to commit suicide with 132 mil worth of bad money on their books.

It's not a deal I see the Lakers making considering how cheap Jeanie is. Nor do I see us being involved with Lavine, cos no trade for him makes much sense financially or in a basketball sense.

Let's just wait for the snake oil salesman to do whatever he wants for another year of missed title contention.

PS: We should just start shopping AD & Lebron atp if we're not All-In about winning. Recoup some picks and try to build through Free Agency and draft. This shoe string budget with a dollar store coach and GM is just embarrassing for Dr Buss' legacy ATP.

Hunter and Capela aren’t bad contracts though. Hawks aren’t attaching either to Murray to take a worse deal.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#17 » by Godfather13 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:00 pm

Ball4life32 wrote:Hunter and Capela aren’t bad contracts though. Hawks aren’t attaching either to Murray to take a worse deal.

Well, you're misinformed. And this may be my personal best informed speculative W in a while :D :D

Eric Pincus' words after the day I posted this -

"So, while getting a strong return for Murray may be a priority, Atlanta will undoubtedly get less than what it gave to the Spurs but may use Murray as an incentive to get out of veterans on larger deals like Clint Capela, De'Andre Hunter and/or Bogdan Bogdanović."

Source Article - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10105102-nba-rumors-latest-intel-on-pascal-siakam-dejounte-murray-zach-lavine-and-more
Ball4life32
Veteran

Post#18 » by Ball4life32 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:04 pm

Godfather13 wrote:
Ball4life32 wrote:Hunter and Capela aren’t bad contracts though. Hawks aren’t attaching either to Murray to take a worse deal.

Well, you're misinformed. And this may be my personal best informed speculative W in a while :D :D

"So, while getting a strong return for Murray may be a priority, Atlanta will undoubtedly get less than what it gave to the Spurs but may use Murray as an incentive to get out of veterans on larger deals like Clint Capela, De'Andre Hunter and/or Bogdan Bogdanović."

Source Article - https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10105102-nba-rumors-latest-intel-on-pascal-siakam-dejounte-murray-zach-lavine-and-more

It’s bleacher report. I dont anything from there seriously. Also why does the hawks who struggle defensively want Reaves? Terrible fit.
Godfather13
Sophomore

Post#19 » by Godfather13 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:27 pm

Ball4life32 wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:

It’s bleacher report. I dont anything from there seriously. Also why does the hawks who struggle defensively want Reaves? Terrible fit.

Not all B/R content is the same, the same as WSJ & NYT.. lol

Do you even have any idea who Eric Pincus is? :wink:

Somebody please educate this clown.

PS - Don't quote me for notis again dumbass.
Ball4life32
Veteran

Post#20 » by Ball4life32 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:49 pm

Godfather13 wrote:
Ball4life32 wrote:
Godfather13 wrote:

Not all B/R content is the same, the same as WSJ & NYT.. lol

Do you even have any idea who Eric Pincus is? :wink:

Somebody please educate this clown.

PS - Don't quote me for notis again dumbass.

Yikes sorry I hurt your feelings. The hawks arent trading any of their starters or their 6th man as negative value or trading Murray + 2 starters for Reaves and Rui. Guess that makes me a clown.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers