ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers trading pics, targeting D.Mitchell, T.young and K.Irving

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Re: Lakers trading pics, targeting D.Mitchell, T.young and K.Irving 

Post#21 » by wco81 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:35 pm

Bron supposedly wants a long-term deal but he may be limited to a 2-year extension at most.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274811/LeBron-James-Looking-For-Multi-Year-Deal-With-Lakers

Still at least an All-Star player and the Lakers need him for the foreseeable future to get in the playoffs.

But obviously non-basketball reasons, like selling tickets and probably getting the Lakers on a lot of national TV games.

As long as he's still effective on the court, any extension wouldn't be like the last contract Kobe got.

But the other wrinkle is his previously expressed with to play with Bronny, who doesn't seem to be getting a lot of minutes on a USC team which is hardly a good team.

So how would Bronny get drafted and then take up a roster spot on the Lakers or any other team? Seems like he'd be shuttled to the G league a lot to give him some regular minutes.

Lakers may be able to give him an extension, like $60 million a year for 2 years. But they should still be able to sign or trade for another super max player and stay under the second apron?
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#22 » by stan francisco » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:11 am

Happy to re-sign LBJ for two years. He’s finally won me over. I used to call him LeBronze and LeGroin and stuff. Bronny should stay another year in college but I get it.

Jeannie should spare no expense until LBJ retires. If this is not a win now situation, what is?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#23 » by Jody Smokz » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:49 am

I get paying Lebron due to his status as a legend, tv ratings and an overall cash cow but this situation isn't improving by signing him to another max deal. I'm not against it but the team cannot improve much basketball wise under the current structure.

LA has No 2 way players outside of AD. Lebron is also 40 years old. It's cool to oogle over what he can still do but the fact that he has to play at cruise control for the majority of the year does not help the direction of the team.

Fans are going to have to accept one path or the other. If the Lakers resign Lebron at 60M next year they will enter the season as a 2nd apron tax team. That's asinine if they do not make the Finals this year.

This means they also have to land a star player next year with the right trade. The downside to that is the team is going to be top heavy again. So no MLE, no BAE and only a bunch of vet minimums left after you trade for (hypothetically) Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell.

stan francisco wrote:Happy to re-sign LBJ for two years. He’s finally won me over. I used to call him LeBronze and LeGroin and stuff. Bronny should stay another year in college but I get it.

Jeannie should spare no expense until LBJ retires. If this is not a win now situation, what is?
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by stan francisco » Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:04 pm

Jody Smokz wrote:I get paying Lebron due to his status as a legend, tv ratings and an overall cash cow but this situation isn't improving by signing him to another max deal. I'm not against it but the team cannot improve much basketball wise under the current structure.

LA has No 2 way players outside of AD. Lebron is also 40 years old. It's cool to oogle over what he can still do but the fact that he has to play at cruise control for the majority of the year does not help the direction of the team.

Fans are going to have to accept one path or the other. If the Lakers resign Lebron at 60M next year they will enter the season as a 2nd apron tax team. That's asinine if they do not make the Finals this year.

This means they also have to land a star player next year with the right trade. The downside to that is the team is going to be top heavy again. So no MLE, no BAE and only a bunch of vet minimums left after you trade for (hypothetically) Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell.

stan francisco wrote:Happy to re-sign LBJ for two years. He’s finally won me over. I used to call him LeBronze and LeGroin and stuff. Bronny should stay another year in college but I get it.

Yeah, playing defense for 82 games won’t be a part of the 60M, so either blow the lid off the tax cap and give it a go. Or rebuild.

What we did to Kobe by paying him top $ while he stunk it up hurt the team, but it was the right thing to do. He was here his whole career, though.

Rob, get creative.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#25 » by NYG » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:25 pm

If the best available in the off-season are still LaVine and Dejounte...

Would you prefer to trade Russell and 2 1sts for Murray or Russell, Rui and Gabe without any picks attached for LaVine?
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#26 » by stan francisco » Fri Mar 1, 2024 6:25 pm

NYG wrote:If the best available in the off-season are still LaVine and Dejounte...

Would you prefer to trade Russell and 2 1sts for Murray or Russell, Rui and Gabe without any picks attached for LaVine?

Rui stays. No big for small here unless you give something real up. Like DeRozan. Rui is a beast.

At this point, given D Lo’s improvements on defense, I wouldn’t even trade D Lo straight up for LaVine. He’s a glass man role player with superstar pay.

Murray, sure, if the deal is right.

I want Donovan Mitchel or DeRozan if we give up that much. Add picks, sure.

We need a third star who plays both ends, nothing less. Celtics have three. Clippers have three. Suns have three. Bucks have three. We have two stars.

LaVine and Murray do not merit a barn sale.
loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#27 » by loveshaq007 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:58 pm

Lavine's contract is way too big, and he's injured often.

I agree that the main target this off season has to be Donovan Mitchell (over Trey Young).

DeRozan could be had for cheap... as a sign in trade is because he's a free agent....rui and max

can you imagine Derozan and Donovan this off-season??? holy ish. ... than try to get a legit center
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#28 » by Jody Smokz » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:41 pm

What role does Derozan play in LA that adds value to this team? In Chicago he's essentially the 1a/1b option in terms of usage. In LA he slots at 3 pretty easily. Without the 3ball the team runs into the same issues it had when Westbrook was here. The offense will tank. Not to mention he doesn't really give you **** on defense and will be 35 years old.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#29 » by danfantastk32 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:00 am

When you look at A) the packages other teams will offer, and B) Making salaries match....the only way your getting a guy like Mitchell is to give them 3 first-rounders, and then your gonna have to prob offload DLo and like AR. Maybe AR and Rui and couple others.

And of course that assumes LA is where Mitchell wants to come. I'll go ahead and put on my "arrogant Laker fan" hat for a minute and say OF COURSE HE WANTS TO COME HERE!!!. So fine, he will come. But 3 first rounders and a package of players that gotta get close to 28mil? And of course those 3 picks can't be back to back.....so the 24/25 pick. The 26/27 pick, and the 28/29 pick.

I think this would be a massive mistake. And this assumes there wouldnt be a better deal, or that Mitchell would even come. They're second in the East right now, and we're 10th in the West. So how exactly does the "come here to get a title" argument go?

I think we'd be much much better off Trading Davis for our own pile of picks, and see if we could make that wonderful "Lebron to GS" deal that everyone seems to have a giant boner for. Let Lebron and Steph fade out together.

I would be so much more excited about our future with almost no salary in 2-3 years, and like 5-6 picks coming to us.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,188

Post#30 » by SlimShady83 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:41 am

Jody Smokz wrote:What role does Derozan play in LA that adds value to this team? In Chicago he's essentially the 1a/1b option in terms of usage. In LA he slots at 3 pretty easily. Without the 3ball the team runs into the same issues it had when Westbrook was here. The offense will tank. Not to mention he doesn't really give you **** on defense and will be 35 years old.

I'm sorry but you and many others need to forget the Derozan pipe dream to Lakers, He has stated earlier a few times that he either wants play for; Miami, Toronto and also like to stay with Bulls

I don't think he wants to co ride Brons tale so for that I respect him, but same time sad he a great player :)
Bring back Defense

Return to Los Angeles Lakers