GO LAKERS
8-)
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Re: Dinwiddie signs with Lakers 

Post#2 » by dockingsched » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:00 pm

Can’t really envision a better player available to the lakers on the buyout market. Good move.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#3 » by MAMBAEMD » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:07 pm

I agree he is the best available player on the buy out market.
He is very good at creating advantage offensively and getting to and finishing at the rim. He's solid in isolation and in the pick and roll game. Good ball handler.
He's not a great pull up shooter, and is a liability on defense, but not as bad as DLo or AR.

We'll get better offensively and stay about the same defensively.

Overall, I really like the pick up because of all of our injuries.
Formerly lakerRD
Syko_boB
Sophomore
And1: 64

Post#4 » by Syko_boB » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:14 am

Davis / Wood / Hayes / (Castleton)
James / Vanderbilt / (Windler)
Hachimura / Prince / Reddish
Reaves / Dinwiddie / Christie / Lewis
Russell / Vincent / Hood-Schifino / (Mays)

Were locked in at 15 and 3 2-ways

I believe all our vet mins: Wood/Hayes/Reddish have player options and if waived it would count against our cap next season - not that I want them out. Just worth noting we won't be players in the buyout market after Dinwiddie

It's not the greatest bunch, but there is 10-13 guys who we know can ball. Just a matter of putting it all together on the floor

Let's hope the vibes carry us further this year and these guys give it their all to get to a place Bron & AD can bring it home
free palestine
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#5 » by stan francisco » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:32 am

Best player available, for sure.

I hope he picks up his defense, but he’s a good offensive addition. Good AST/TO.

Welcome, Dinwiddie!
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
DanishLakerFan
Veteran
And1: 569

Post#6 » by DanishLakerFan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:55 am

Awesome addition. Has experience playing with D'Lo and will fit right into the back-court rotation as he can play either guard position. He showed in the past that he can stay on the floor in the playoffs.

I'm very confident that this team will make the play-in and perhaps even make the 6th spot and i think if all are healthy and are playing at their best, they can beat anyone. Hoping Gabe and Vando will be heatlhy in time for playoffs.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#7 » by Anderson Hunt » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:45 pm

PG - Russell ----- Dinwiddie - Schifino
SG - Reaves ------ Christie ---- (Vincent)
C --- Davis --------- Hayes ------ (Vanderbilt)
PF - James ------- Wood ------- (Reddish)
SF - Hachimura - Prince ------- Lewis
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#8 » by Anderson Hunt » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:47 pm

What is the max Dinwiddie could be resigned for this summer?
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,291

Post#9 » by tamaraw08 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:25 pm

stan francisco wrote:Best player available, for sure.

I hope he picks up his defense, but he’s a good offensive addition. Good AST/TO.

Welcome, Dinwiddie!

You hope he picks up his defense? If not?
Ham uses a 5- out offensive formation and he is a career 32% from the 3pt area. Isn’t this another Westbrook situation when his defender just clogs the driving lanes and dares him to shoot?
Suns got a 3&D in Royce O Neal for 3 SRPs, solves both Lakers issues esp with Vando out and provides spacing.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,448

Post#10 » by Slava » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:43 pm

Anderson Hunt wrote:What is the max Dinwiddie could be resigned for this summer?

Taxpayer MLE.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by stan francisco » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:43 am

tamaraw08 wrote:

Welcome, Dinwiddie!

Ham uses a 5- out offensive formation and he is a career 32% from the 3pt area. Isn’t this another Westbrook situation when his defender just clogs the driving lanes and dares him to shoot?
Suns got a 3&D in Royce O Neal for 3 SRPs, solves both Lakers issues esp with Vando out and provides spacing.

Best available in the buyout market. I wanted the same type of trade as you, before the deadline. No takers for D Lo, I guess.

Dinwiddie shoots 42% corner threes, good play maker, gets to the rim, better defender than D Lo. I’ll take it.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#12 » by TylersLakers » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:09 am

He’s a good player and you’ll take good players, especially when they come for free.

What concerns me is the roster down the stretch of the season and into the playoffs:

Starters: Russell/Reaves/Rui/LeBron/AD

Bench: Dinwiddie/Prince/Christie and then…?

Candidates: Hayes/Wood

We need to pray to the basketball gods that Vando comes back. Because if he doesn’t, we have zero front court depth. And what’s worse - we have no roster spots to bring someone in.

If Vincent gets healthy, he’s a legit guy as well. However, how do you play him? Russell/Reaves/Dinwiddie are clearly ahead of him and Prince and Reddish might be ahead of him as well.
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,291

Post#13 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:03 pm

stan francisco wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

Welcome, Dinwiddie!

Best available in the buyout market. I wanted the same type of trade as you, before the deadline. No takers for D Lo, I guess.

Dinwiddie shoots 42% corner threes, good play maker, gets to the rim, better defender than D Lo. I’ll take it.

It's very unlikely to find something useful from the trash bin. Not saying SD is trash but I just don't think he will be very useful and a great fit for this team, I hope and pray I am wrong though.
D'Lo has been shooting great the past 3-4 weeks or so and still most GM's are not biting, go figure.
I just felt they could have put a competitive offer for a 3&D player.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by stan francisco » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:12 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:You hope he picks up his defense? If not?

It's very unlikely to find something useful from the trash bin. Not saying SD is trash but I just don't think he will be very useful and a great fit for this team, I hope and pray I am wrong though.
D'Lo has been shooting great the past 3-4 weeks or so and still most GM's are not biting, go figure.
I just felt they could have put a competitive offer for a 3&D player.

Agreed. But I do think he’s way outside of the trash bin and we lucked out in a big way.

Dinwiddie is an serious addition. I think we’ll all be surprised how he balances us out offensively. It’s suddenly way more flexible and interchangeable.

PG: Russell / Dinwiddie / Vincent / JHS
SG: Christie / Reaves / Mays / Windle
SF: James / Prince / Reddish / Lewis
PF: Vanderbilt / Hachimura / Wood
C: Davis / Hayes / Castleton

I don’t see how he won’t beat out D Lo for the starting PG job. Playoffs rotation:

PG: Dinwiddie / Russell / Vincent
SG: Reaves / Prince / Christie
SF: Vanderbilt / Reddish
PF: James / Hachimura
C: Davis / Hayes / Wood

We could use another big body, some weight.

We’re deep.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#15 » by Kilroy » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:45 pm

It's hard to find guys that actually fit around a superstar core. Surrounding LeBron and AD with servicable talent, seems harder than most... So for me, all bets are off on how this will work until they have about 10 games together. If it isn't showing signs of clicking by then, maybe it isn't going to work this season, and we'll see where we are next season.

But going by paper fit, never seems to work with this team.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#16 » by TylersLakers » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:48 pm

Syko_boB wrote:Davis / Wood / Hayes / (Castleton)
James / Vanderbilt / (Windler)
Hachimura / Prince / Reddish
Reaves / Dinwiddie / Christie / Lewis
Russell / Vincent / Hood-Schifino / (Mays)

Were locked in at 15 and 3 2-ways

I believe all our vet mins: Wood/Hayes/Reddish have player options and if waived it would count against our cap next season - not that I want them out. Just worth noting we won't be players in the buyout market after Dinwiddie

It's not the greatest bunch, but there is 10-13 guys who we know can ball. Just a matter of putting it all together on the floor

Let's hope the vibes carry us further this year and these guys give it their all to get to a place Bron & AD can bring it home

Out of that group - who can ball - especially in the playoffs?

Bonafide Playoff Players:

LeBron, AD, Reaves

Matchup Dependent Players:

Rui, Dinwiddie, Prince, Christie (in that order)

Possibility Players:

Wood (if used properly), Reddish (if he makes some shots)

Lol:

Hayes, JHS, Lewis

Unknown:

Vincent, Vanderbilt: It sounds like Vincent will be back. If healthy and rolling, he'd be in the bonafide players group. Will he be healthy? Can we even play Vincent/Reaves/D-Lo/Dinwiddie/Prince? All 5 of those guys are guards and should only be played as guards.

Vanderbilt would be at the top of the matchup dependent players. We've used him more effectively this year. He's not just standing in the corner anymore. He's cutting, setting off-ball screens, he's finding little openings around the basket, he's rebounding, etc. From all the intel, he's likely out for the year and the Lakers are delaying the inevitable. I hope I'm wrong.

They have to cut Windler, waive Lewis and hope to bring him back on a two-way spot, and sign another buyout guy. Even someone like Marcus Morris or Thad Young. Both of those guys are over the hill, but at least they could come in for 10-15 minutes in a playoff game and not bleed points.
heezyo2o
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#17 » by heezyo2o » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:31 am

Ham has hinted or flat out said he'll try 3 guard lineups with Dinwiddie. Everyone seems to hate those lineups, but Reaves is going to play and I think the Lakers are better when Dlo is taking shots and has the chance to create and make plays.

Earlier in the year, we saw lineups with prince, reddish and rui. So 3 guard lineups or no guard lineups.

I've been a Dinwiddie fan, but if his shooting doesn't pickup then he won't see the floor much.

I was intrigued by Morris. Markieff did well for the Lakers and Marcus even though diminished might still be better or at least on par with the version of Markieff that was here a few years back
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore

Post#18 » by Anderson Hunt » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:18 am

TylersLakers wrote:He’s a good player and you’ll take good players, especially when they come for free.

What concerns me is the roster down the stretch of the season and into the playoffs:

Starters: Russell/Reaves/Rui/LeBron/AD

Bench: Dinwiddie/Prince/Christie and then…?

Candidates: Hayes/Wood

We need to pray to the basketball gods that Vando comes back. Because if he doesn’t, we have zero front court depth. And what’s worse - we have no roster spots to bring someone in.

If Vincent gets healthy, he’s a legit guy as well. However, how do you play him? Russell/Reaves/Dinwiddie are clearly ahead of him and Prince and Reddish might be ahead of him as well.

Vincent will be the fourth guard, so he will take Christie's minutes upon return. Reddish will get minutes in the frontcourt as a Vanderbilt replacement. Until Vanderbilt comes back, Reddish will compete with Hayes for minutes.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by stan francisco » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:56 pm

Looking forward to this game tonight with Dinwiddie. We were already catching a stride of improvement on both ends, as a team. Can’t wait until Vando gets back, but I think we’re going on a run.
TylersLakers
RealGM

Post#20 » by TylersLakers » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:27 pm

stan francisco wrote:Looking forward to this game tonight with Dinwiddie. We were already catching a stride of improvement on both ends, as a team. Can’t wait until Vando gets back, but I think we’re going on a run.

Don't hold your breath on Vando.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers