Dinwiddie signs with Lakers

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Re: Dinwiddie signs with Lakers 

Post#41 » by bubonicphoniks » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Nets fan here....

Don't expect him to figure it out....and don't expect him to seem like he cares about the team.

Sent from my SM-S928U using RealGM mobile app
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#42 » by stan francisco » Fri Mar 1, 2024 6:29 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:Nets fan here....

Don't expect him to figure it out....and don't expect him to seem like he cares about the team.

Please, do tell more. I heard he’s not a very cerebral person. What’s his deal?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#43 » by bubonicphoniks » Sat Mar 2, 2024 9:34 am

stan francisco wrote:

Guy has every tool in the book to be a good player but he has made no secret he is playing for the dough and what's in it for him.

He will chuck up shots strictly to try to be the hero and play himself into a higher contract, problem is he misses a TON.

He loves to take ill advised momentum killing hurls at the basket either by drive or by 3. Likes to stand around and look around and dribble and complain to the refs.

After missing a huge shot you'll see absolutely zero accountability and guess what? Next game, same thing again and again.

He infuriated Nets fans who saw him leave the first time a fan favorite and a best kept secret. He drank his own Kool aid and this season in Brooklyn he was horrendous.

My friend said it perfectly.

"Spencer Dinwiddie is the most confident player in the NBA - who has no business being that confident."
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by stan francisco » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:05 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:
stan francisco wrote:

Guy has every tool in the book to be a good player but he has made no secret he is playing for the dough and what's in it for him.

He will chuck up shots strictly to try to be the hero and play himself into a higher contract, problem is he misses a TON.

He loves to take ill advised momentum killing hurls at the basket either by drive or by 3. Likes to stand around and look around and dribble and complain to the refs.

After missing a huge shot you'll see absolutely zero accountability and guess what? Next game, same thing again and again.

He infuriated Nets fans who saw him leave the first time a fan favorite and a best kept secret. He drank his own Kool aid and this season in Brooklyn he was horrendous.

My friend said it perfectly.

"Spencer Dinwiddie is the most confident player in the NBA - who has no business being that confident."

I was about to say Phil Jackson will set him straight. Thanks for the scouting report.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#45 » by LAKESHOW » Sat Mar 2, 2024 5:24 pm

That might work to our advantage...well see ... we've got the other end of the spectrum, we've got guys afraid to make a play without always giving it to Bron seemingly having to ask permission to look at the basket. 95% of the time that's good. Near the end however, we have Bron chucking 50 footers at end of games.
But what if we have a guy who just attacks while the defense is totally looking at Bron. Playing off of Bron, rather than hiding behind him
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by stan francisco » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:11 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:That might work to our advantage...well see ... we've got the other end of the spectrum, we've got guys afraid to make a play without always giving it to Bron seemingly having to ask permission to look at the basket. 95% of the time that's good. Near the end however, we have Bron chucking 50 footers at end of games.
But what if we have a guy who just attacks while the defense is totally looking at Bron. Playing off of Bron, rather than hiding behind him

Exactly. Aggressive offense is what makes D Lo and Reaves a good fit with AD and LBJ.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#47 » by bubonicphoniks » Sat Mar 2, 2024 8:19 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:That might work to our advantage...well see ... we've got the other end of the spectrum, we've got guys afraid to make a play without always giving it to Bron seemingly having to ask permission to look at the basket. 95% of the time that's good. Near the end however, we have Bron chucking 50 footers at end of games.
In a perfect world for the Lakers yes.

That's a good take...I just don't expect him to find a way to make it work. He was semi clutch earlier in his career so it was worth a flier but the bad Dinwiddie is pretty disruptive on the court.

ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 213

Post#48 » by ChuckS » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:06 am

I too am a Nets fan, and apologize for intruding on your board. I've always been somewhat skeptical of observational evaluations because there are oftentimes variations in how different fans see events. I certainly would not expect strangers to believe mine. And I know stats are not everything, but they can be a less subjective measure. So following is NBA.com's listings of the Nets' player fourth quarter and clutch numbers.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/shooting?dir=A&sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&TeamID=1610612751

Please note Spence's fourth quarter 20-24 foot (corner and three point line threes), a team high 66.7%. The only one close was Royce O'Neale's 59.1%, and now we have lost both. Dinwiddie"s under five feet 62.5%, in his case on drives to the rim, is also not bad for a guard.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/clutch-traditional?TeamID=1610612751&dir=A&sort=AST

His overall 42.3% is more respectable than his season average, and the 42.9% on threes is exceptional and second only to O'Neale's. His 77.8% free throw percent is third on our team. But more importantly for an unselfish guard is that he is first on the team for assists.

I think any fan should be satisfied with such numbers, but I'll let others decide if they think they indicate clutch, semi-clutch, or not clutch.

There is not much time before the playoffs, so I hope he can become acclimated to your team. It's been two years since he played in a real offense with Luka. Most of all I hope playing with LeBron, etal, can help if his psyche was damaged by being phased out this year in anticipation of losing him for repeater tax purposes. In last year's playoffs he upped his shooting from 40.4%/28.9% to near Dallas numbers, 43.1%/38.9%.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,404

Post#49 » by Danny Darko » Tue Mar 5, 2024 4:56 am

ChuckS wrote:I too am a Nets fan, and apologize for intruding on your board. I've always been somewhat skeptical of observational evaluations because there are oftentimes variations in how different fans see events. I certainly would not expect strangers to believe mine. And I know stats are not everything, but they can be a less subjective measure. So following is NBA.com's listings of the Nets' player fourth quarter and clutch numbers.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/shooting?dir=A&sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&TeamID=1610612751

Please note Spence's fourth quarter 20-24 foot (corner and three point line threes), a team high 66.7%. The only one close was Royce O'Neale's 59.1%, and now we have lost both. Dinwiddie"s under five feet 62.5%, in his case on drives to the rim, is also not bad for a guard.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/clutch-traditional?TeamID=1610612751&dir=A&sort=AST

His overall 42.3% is more respectable than his season average, and the 42.9% on threes is exceptional and second only to O'Neale's. His 77.8% free throw percent is third on our team. But more importantly for an unselfish guard is that he is first on the team for assists.

I think any fan should be satisfied with such numbers, but I'll let others decide if they think they indicate clutch, semi-clutch, or not clutch.

There is not much time before the playoffs, so I hope he can become acclimated to your team. It's been two years since he played in a real offense with Luka. Most of all I hope playing with LeBron, etal, can help if his psyche was damaged by being phased out this year in anticipation of losing him for repeater tax purposes. In last year's playoffs he upped his shooting from 40.4%/28.9% to near Dallas numbers, 43.1%/38.9%.

he hasn't settled in or played well yet... that's for sure, but I've liked his game pre-lakers
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#50 » by stan francisco » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:58 am

He played well tonight. He has the feel for the game and the athleticism required to become a very good wing defender. He’s keeping his offense simple so far. Hoping he turns into the Dallas version of himself.
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#51 » by NBAWestFan » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:06 am

that was a Awesome to See the Three running around the court Biggest smiles on the Court after Dwinwidde blocked Dame

Dlo, Dinwidde & Hayes.

Lakers just need to get better on Defense.

They need a Hakeem type Center to workout Jackson Hayes.

Hayes is Athletic but needs to work on his game. Lakers should make it a point to develop this guy on both ends of the court so he can make a impact in the playoffs. He is big and can jump but needs more playtime and development.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by stan francisco » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:29 pm

NBAWestFan wrote:that was a Awesome to See the Three running around the court Biggest smiles on the Court after Dwinwidde blocked Dame

Dlo, Dinwidde & Hayes.

Lakers just need to get better on Defense.

They need a Hakeem type Center to workout Jackson Hayes.

Hayes is Athletic but needs to work on his game. Lakers should make it a point to develop this guy on both ends of the court so he can make an impact in the playoffs. He is big and can jump but needs more playtime and development.

Game winning block!

D Lo is playing better and better defense throughout the season. His offense was always elite in talent, but now it is mature in execution, too. He was undoubtedly the MVP against the Bucks.

Yeah, Hayes with Olajuwon’s foot work and solid low post defense would be something else.
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 317

Post#53 » by Hans1984 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:35 am

Nice block.
bubonicphoniks
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by bubonicphoniks » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:46 am

What are you guys thinkin?
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#55 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:00 am

Nice Dubb
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,448

Post#56 » by Slava » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:25 pm

bubonicphoniks wrote:What are you guys thinkin?

Nice pick up and he seems to enjoy doing whatever is needed to compliment his teammates on a day to day basis. He is also the only guard in our rotation who knows how to fight over a screen on defense, which goes a long way to making it respectable while Vando and Vincent are out.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#57 » by loveshaq007 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:55 pm

but 7 pts in 42+ minutes.... sheeshhh, what was he 1-8???

has to be with my consistent offensively as well, as we need that firepower
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#58 » by stan francisco » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

bubonicphoniks wrote:What are you guys thinkin?

Defense: He’s playing decent to good defense. He’s hired. As mentioned, he actually fights over screens. He hasn’t messed up much on defense at all. I’ve seen him play solid defense and even coming up with game winning defensive plays.

Offense: I like his offense. Plays within control for the most part. When he keeps it simple he can be quite the effective passer and playmaker. Is completely unafraid of the big shot. Not tentative. Will take the game winning shot with full confidence.

Mental: I like his un-afraidness. It seems so far that he has accepted a role here. He knows he doesn’t have to be the man. I don’t like his high sense of entitlement with the refs. Has a tendency to think every call against him is the worst call ever, as if it’s completely unbelievable even when it’s not at all a bad call. And he keeps yapping once he starts.

Feel for the game: He’s totally got it. Let just hope he keeps focusing on the defensive end. The offense will keep happening the right way once the defense is fully healthy.

He will no doubt be the role player to make a game winning play. He might also lose you a playoffs game by getting a technical foul.

If he puts his head down and shuts his mouth, he can be a key role player for us.

He’s got the Laker swag.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#59 » by LAKESHOW » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm

DLO late late in games is waaay too careless with the ball handling. Still throws the ball away needlessly. But this guy has a little bit more sense and reading capability. The key to effectiveness is when late game pressure is on, the mind is clear to read and react, not panic and turnover. DLo still pisses me off in those moments. But this guy seems, and I reiterate seems, to have an awareness
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by stan francisco » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:38 pm

He should seek out the corner three more often, make it his thing.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers