Dinwiddie signs with Lakers

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Re: Dinwiddie signs with Lakers 

Post#21 » by stan francisco » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:37 am

TylersLakers wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Looking forward to this game tonight with Dinwiddie. We were already catching a stride of improvement on both ends, as a team. Can’t wait until Vando gets back, but I think we’re going on a run.

Don't hold your breath on Vando.

I promise. :D

As long as he’s in top shape by the post season. Hopefully he’ll work on his 3PT shot.

I think Dinwiddie should start at PG as soon as he gets used to what we do.

Reaves produces as much from the bench as he does as a starter and at a higher efficiency, so there’s no real loss letting him be our sixth man again.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#22 » by loveshaq007 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:32 am

I agree... we need another rim attacker. in the starting lineup. he is an aggressive guard... Dlo can stay shooting 3s and spreading the floor.

a lot like reaves ... rui plays just as well of the bench. if prince can start playing more aggressive on defense and shoot with confidence, he is the ideal 3.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#23 » by TylersLakers » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:19 pm

stan francisco wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Looking forward to this game tonight with Dinwiddie. We were already catching a stride of improvement on both ends, as a team. Can’t wait until Vando gets back, but I think we’re going on a run.

As long as he’s in top shape by the post season. Hopefully he’ll work on his 3PT shot.

Reaves produces as much from the bench as he does as a starter and at a higher efficiency, so there’s no real loss letting him be our sixth man again.

I hope I'm wrong - but basically all the insiders have said he's out for the year because he'll need surgery eventually. They're hoping 3-4 weeks of rehab can make it so surgery isn't an option, but all the team sources haven't been good.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#24 » by stan francisco » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:43 pm

TylersLakers wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
TylersLakers wrote:

I hope I'm wrong - but basically all the insiders have said he's out for the year because he'll need surgery eventually. They're hoping 3-4 weeks of rehab can make it so surgery isn't an option, but all the team sources haven't been good.

Yup ^ . I read the same. Reevaluation after ASB will tell. Best case he heals by April which seems a semi pipe dream, worst case surgery and his season is over.

Christie, Reddish both come back after the ASB. Vincent is scheduled for early March. All three improve our defense.

Vando or not, we have a shot at escaping the play-in. To keep a healthy and spry LBJ in a deep run would be very much helped by a sixth spot.

Offense is clicking, defense has improved, so I’m hopeful. Patience trying coach.
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,191

Post#25 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:03 am

OK boys, time to go out on a Limb...he's the player we need. I say We make Final 4. Top 2? Crystal Ball still murky.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Post#26 » by MAMBAEMD » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:29 am

Top 4 is not realistic in my opinion, since we’d have to make up 7 games in the loss column with 26 games left.

6th place is doable.
Our defense is the key. We have to improve on D big time.

That’ll be hard to do without Vando.

His loss is huge . With him prowling on the perimeter and AD manning the paint , we’d been a scary team.
Formerly lakerRD
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#27 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:34 am

Let's say we land 6th. OKC lands 3rd. I say that's a 1st round dub. It's still early, let's see how it plays out
tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,290

Post#28 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:35 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:Let's say we land 6th. OKC lands 3rd. I say that's a 1st round dub. It's still early, let's see how it plays out

Oh my, I wish I can have some of your optimism. 6th place right now has 4 fewer losses than the Lakers then followed by the surging Mavs at 7th with 3 less defeats.
Lakers face the surging Warriors 3 times, hot teams like the Clips and Suns this month.
Then March, they battle to top teams like Denver, OKC, Kings (2x) which have been butchering them the past 5 games of so, then Bucks twice, Sixers etc. That's 6 more losses if they go .500 at least. If they go 8-4, that's 4 defeats more.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#29 » by stan francisco » Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:12 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
LAKESHOW wrote:Let's say we land 6th. OKC lands 3rd. I say that's a 1st round dub. It's still early, let's see how it plays out

Oh my, I wish I can have some of your optimism. 6th place right now has 4 fewer losses than the Lakers then followed by the surging Mavs at 7th with 3 less defeats.
Lakers face the surging Warriors 3 times, hot teams like the Clips and Suns this month.
Then March, they battle to top teams like Denver, OKC, Kings (2x) which have been butchering them the past 5 games of so, then Bucks twice, Sixers etc. That's 6 more losses if they go .500 at least. If they go 8-4, that's 4 defeats more.

That’s a tough stretch.

To be the best, you have to beat the best, right? Kobe used to say that. :D I’m optimistic we can go on a bit of a tear from here on out. It depends on when LeBron will turn on his post-season defense.

Our team defense seems to have finally plugged the gaping hole we had at the top of the key for 1.5 years, which is a really good thing.

If our 3PT defense can improve, too… And, once LBJ turns his post-season mode D on, we should be able to win quite a few of those tough games. See NBA cup. He still has it physically, can’t go 100% for 82 games.

But yeah, significantly above .500 will be tough without Vando.

In an interview the other day, LBJ had that locked in look in his eye. I think he smells blood. Rings are within reach if he goes full throttle, and he’s got to go for it while he still can.

If relatively healthy we can go on a run and scare some teams going into the playoffs. If Vando is back by April, we’re a contender. I’m hopeful, but I know it’s a bit of a stretch.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#30 » by tamaraw08 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:04 pm

stan francisco wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

That’s a tough stretch.

To be the best, you have to beat the best, right? Kobe used to say that. :D I’m optimistic we can go on a bit of a tear from here on out. It depends on when LeBron will turn on his post-season defense.

Our team defense seems to have finally plugged the gaping hole we had at the top of the key for 1.5 years, which is a really good thing.

If our 3PT defense can improve, too… And, once LBJ turns his post-season mode D on, we should be able to win quite a few of those tough games. See NBA cup. He still has it physically, can’t go 100% for 82 games.

In an interview the other day, LBJ had that locked in look in his eye. I think he smells blood. Rings are within reach if he goes full throttle, and he’s got to go for it while he still can.

If relatively healthy we can go on a run and scare some teams going into the playoffs. If Vando is back by April, we’re a contender. I’m hopeful, but I know it’s a bit of a stretch.

All good points but my main concern is wear and tear esp with the fragile body of AD and the 39 yr old Lebron who both have logged in heavy minutes this season. They won it all in the bubble with significantly less games and did not have to travel from city to city.
They went into a tear last playoffs but I felt both AD and esp Lebron really ran out of gas in the final 4 games vs Denver. James gave his all and had a hot 1st half Game 4 and just could not carry this team to even one victory to avoid the sweep. Lakernation's host Trevor Lane simply described it as Lebron James and AD just had to press that NOS and Turbo button way too many times in February and March to qualify for the Play-in that they wore down in the end.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by stan francisco » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:35 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

That’s a tough stretch.

All good points but my main concern is wear and tear esp with the fragile body of AD and the 39 yr old Lebron who both have logged in heavy minutes this season. They won it all in the bubble with significantly less games and did not have to travel from city to city.
They went into a tear last playoffs but I felt both AD and esp Lebron really ran out of gas in the final 4 games vs Denver. James gave his all and had a hot 1st half Game 4 and just could not carry this team to even one victory to avoid the sweep. Lakernation's host Trevor Lane simply described it as Lebron James and AD just had to press that NOS and Turbo button way too many times in February and March to qualify for the Play-in that they wore down in the end.

Good description.

Which is why we need to make the sixth seed. Time for our role players to play hard, allow the stars to get a break from playing 40MPG. While still winning.

Stranger things have happened. If we stay healthy until then, we can compete against any team in seven games, except maybe Denver. If Vando comes back full force, bring on Denver, too.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#32 » by tamaraw08 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:21 am

stan francisco wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
That’s a tough stretch.

Good description.

Which is why we need to make the sixth seed. Time for our role players to play hard, allow the stars to get a break from playing 40MPG. While still winning.

Stranger things have happened. If we stay healthy until then, we can compete against any team in seven games, except maybe Denver. If Vando comes back full force, bring on Denver, too.

I really want that 6th seed too but at what cost?
You really want to ride Lebron and AD hard and play them 38-40 mins/game no more missing games even during back to backs can mean them getting very exhausted and possible more wear and tear on their bodies come playoff time. I will have nightmares seeing AD wincing in pain against Phoenix 3 years ago, or James not being able to carry them vs Denver at home game 4 to avoid the sweep.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by stan francisco » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:41 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:
tamaraw08 wrote:

Good description.

I really want that 6th seed too but at what cost?
You really want to ride Lebron and AD hard and play them 38-40 mins/game no more missing games even during back to backs can mean them getting very exhausted and possible more wear and tear on their bodies come playoff time. I will have nightmares seeing AD wincing in pain against Phoenix 3 years ago, or James not being able to carry them vs Denver at home game 4 to avoid the sweep.

Sixth, without playing the two stars into the ground is what we must shoot for. It’s time for some suffocating team defense!
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by stan francisco » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:19 am

Dinwiddie better lock in fast. He looks lost.
LAKESHOW
RealGM

Post#35 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:34 pm

I understand there's quite a bit of learning because of new team new schemes. But dayyuum, dudes running doubling everybody not knowing any kind of assignments
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#36 » by tamaraw08 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:02 pm

stan francisco wrote:Dinwiddie better lock in fast. He looks lost.

I am amazed at some fans here feeling surprised at the recent struggles of this non efficient chucker. :roll:
Some casual fans probably just youtubed his highlights and was amazed at his rim seeking abilities which is fine in certain teams but not for this specific team that badly needs a 3&D wing imo.
Royce ONeal has been pretty good in Phoenix, just torched the Lakers yesterday and yes there will be nights when he will brick those shots but he also will play good defense in most of the time.
There will be a few games when Spencer will wow you with his moves, maybe hit a couple of 3's but I just can't see him doing it consistently.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by stan francisco » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:35 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:I understand there's quite a bit of learning because of new team new schemes. But dayyuum, dudes running doubling everybody not knowing any kind of assignments

Yeah. Until he settles in, I’d rather see Christie get some of those minutes. Gotta give the new guy a few games to settle in but man…

On offense he could go way more on the attack, be much more assertive with passes and cuts and shots and drives. Right now he’s in no man’s land deferring too much and playing scared. His jumper is missing his legs under it.

It’s worked well for us when D Lo is the aggressive one that the POA defense needs to key in on. Do the same. But he’s got to be aggressive, handle the ball like he’s the alpha on the court. Works well for D Lo and AR to probe hard and then have LBJ and AD as primary passing targets once the defense tears apart.

It’s a perfect role for him once he gets it. He’s a serious threat offensively when he’s on. Just has to snap into it.

This is what Ham is supposedly good at, though; dealing with player attitudes and their mental approach, kum-ba-ya, next play mentality etc. In my opinion, Dinwiddie must go balls out from now on or yield some minutes to Christie who rarely makes mental mistakes defensively.

D Lo’s defense has improved lots this season but if Dinwiddie can lock it in better on that end, I want the lineup in my sig to start. Christie is under utilized.
Anderson Hunt
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#38 » by Anderson Hunt » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:38 pm

Dinwiddie is a good player with better career numbers, but Delon Wright, who was bought out much later, would've been a better fit for what the Lakers need.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,835

Post#39 » by Beethoven » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:03 pm

Sorry, this is just me, but long ago when I first heard of his name I thought "dim-witted" and couldn't get over his name.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#40 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:02 pm

Beethoven wrote:Sorry, this is just me, but long ago when I first heard of his name I thought "dim-witted" and couldn't get over his name.

Well, we got a guy who was shipped off from team A in a trade. Taken by team B to make salaries match, and then immediately let go. Then cleared waivers to arrive here. "Dim-witted" is right, but I'd apply that to the people hoping this guy is gonna push us into contention.

I joke....but only half-hearted. I mean, this is insane. Don't look now everyone, but we're last in the Pacific. 6-seed? Come on. And talk about unfair to the guy. Then he goes on to be a "failure" or some sort of "under-achiever" in the eyes of fans.....but the guy was literally pulled from the NBA "trash heap". And paraded out there by the team, let's not forget, as some sort of "hey, never mind that we got d*ck-all in the trade market (cause no-one would take ANY of our players)....look at what we found!!!"

Pathetic. Like our standing. And this is with our two stars emptying their tanks more and more just to try and stay afloat. But hey...let's give Lebron 60mil per year, for 3 more years.....and we'll pretend none of this is happening. FFS

Return to Los Angeles Lakers