ImageImageImageImageImage

Are You Happy Giving Bron 3 Year Max Contract - Poll Included

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Are You Ok giving Bron 3 years max deal at his age?

YES
28%
NO
34%
Let Him walk
6%
Offer him something else like 1 year or 2nd year option etc but not 3 years
16%
Other options not worth 3 years
3%
I love Bron Give him what he wants LOL
3%
Meh what ever LOL
9%

Total votes: 32

Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Re: Are You Happy Giving Bron 3 Year Max Contract - Poll Included 

Post#21 » by Landsberger » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:02 pm

danfantastk32 wrote:[
I'd argue we have a pretty crappy team now. Super uninteresting, 9th in the West, and 17th in the league. And let's not forget this important fact: on the downhill slide. Even if Lebron and AD remain injury free next year, they're going to be slightly worse. So what are we really doing here?

This is all true. I expected this but WITH injuries to Bron and Davis which haven't happened. So, my expectations were not terribly high and so far they have not met them.

The team is fairly painful to watch actually.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,265

Post#22 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:49 am

LeBron James said he didn't know when he was going to retire but that he didn't "have much time left" following the Los Angeles Lakers' 116-104 win over the Brooklyn Nets.

“Not very long. Not very long. I’m on the other side, obviously, of the hill. I’m not gonna play another 21 years, that’s for damn sure. But not very long.

"I don’t know when that door will close as far as when I’ll retire. But I don’t have much time left," said James.

James finished the game with 40 points while tying his career-high with nine 3s.

Both James and the Lakers would prefer that he retire as a Laker, sources told Jovan Buha of The Athletic.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275152/LeBron-James-Says-He-Doesnt-Have-Much-Time-Left-Prefers-To-Retire-As-A-Laker

Comments after having one of his best games in his career, at least shooting-wise.

He's still the one of the best Lakers player, if not the best one.

He's never shot better from distance.

So the 3-year extension seems pretty much a done deal. He is one season short from tying Vince Carter's 22 seasons so he at least wants to break that.

And maybe 3 seasons from now, not only Bronny but Bryce may be in the league.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,835

Post#23 » by Beethoven » Thu Apr 4, 2024 6:54 am

Like I said.. the dude deserves a big extension and 100% lakers commitment. I stand by Lebron. I want the guy to play more years with us than any other team. Which means he needs to play for us 6 more years. I believe he'll be elite during those 6 years barring any unfortunate injury.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
wco81
RealGM

Post#24 » by wco81 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:46 am

He's likely to opt out, and one of the main reasons would be for a No-Trade Clause.

LeBron James is widely expected to remain with the Los Angeles Lakers for the 24-25 season, but

"I think LeBron is going to opt out no matter what and the reason I think he's going to opt out no matter is because even if he just signs back for one year, the only functional way for LeBron to get a no-trade clause is to sign a new contract," said Brian Windhorst. "If he extends the contract he is in, or picks up that option and extends onto it, he cannot get a no-trade clause. I think for a number of different reasons, LeBron would like, ask for, and probably be granted a no-trade clause.

"There may be some debate with him and the Lakers about whether he should get three years, or whether a third year would be a team option, or a player option, or not guaranteed or whatever. I think there could be some interesting negotations back and forth on that."

James has a player with the Lakers for 24-25 worth $51.4 million.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275246/LeBron-James-Expected-To-Opt-Out-Seek-No-Trade-Clause-In-Next-Contract-With-Lakers

Team still needs him to contend for at least the playoffs. But if the Lakers sign him to an extension, they're going all-in, including whatever trade demands he may continue to make to trade future assets.

Better to mortgage the future for a chance to contend now? If the Lakers upset one of the top 3 seeds, though it probably wouldn't be a great surprise if they beat OKC, team will have to go all-in.

Or if they still can't beat Denver, Lakers still give LeBron the extension, probably with NTC, because there aren't any alternatives?
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 317

Post#25 » by Hans1984 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:26 am

No. This man is turning 40 this year.
wco81
RealGM

Post#26 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:59 am

40 or not, he kept the team within striking distance all game on offense.

Just that without AD, the defense was giving up good looks from 3-point range all night.

Both LeBron and AD have had All-NBA seasons. They could still make a run in the playoffs, especially if the role players continue to shoot as well as they have since the all-star break.

Without LeBron, Lakers may not even be a play-in team next year, especially if the WC is as competitive as it has been this year. For instance, Warriors had 44 wins all of last year and was #6. This season, Lakers already have 45 wins and they're only #9.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#27 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:01 pm

wco81 wrote:Both LeBron and AD have had All-NBA seasons. They could still make a run in the playoffs, especially if the role players continue to shoot as well as they have since the all-star break.

Without LeBron, Lakers may not even be a play-in team next year, especially if the WC is as competitive as it has been this year. For instance, Warriors had 44 wins all of last year and was #6. This season, Lakers already have 45 wins and they're only #9.

But that is just it. They both avoided any major injuries, and both played about as well as you could ask....and for what? 9th seed? 16th in the league? Where / How do you go up from here? Especially if you give this dude $60+ mil a year for 3 years. He's not ascending. Do you hope you role-players improve for another 10 wins next year? Do people really thing swapping out the coach (where have we heard this one before???) is gonna make up 9-10 games?

No. It's time to face the facts: THIS - TEAM - DOESN"T - HAVE - IT

Lebron is going downhill. AD is going downhill. Their best years are behind. You can't ask for a better season out of the two of them, and yet we are a completely 'middle of the road' team. Why in the F would anyone want to repeat this another 3 years? And that would assume no injuries, and Lebron stays the same.

It's time for Jeanie and Rob to grow the F up in this league. Sit Lebron down, and tell him "Sorry man, but this team ain't competing anymore. We have to get better players. So you can come back for $25m, or else we gotta part ways. Cause this aint getting it done."

If he can get $60mil out there...go for it. No hard feelings. Enjoyed his time as a Laker for the most part. But the Lakers are fools if they bring this back for another 3 years. It's lazy, unimaginative, and the safe route.....knowing he'll put butts in seats, and eyes on TV's because most people do what they're told. They can keep blaming the coach! That's always entertaining
wco81
RealGM

Post#28 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:39 pm

I understand the sentiment and it may make sense if the Lakers had a lot of draft assets in the immediate future to get something out of a drop in the W-L record if they let LeBron walk. And if they do decide to let him walk, they would probably trade AD as well, unless they can acquire at least another all-star or better type of wing to pair with AD.

Lakers may double down by keeping both players and trying to trade for Mitchell or Young.

But the playoffs will help clarify where they are.

Russell has had a very good season, especially given his salary and could choose to opt out.

Reeves also a very good season given his contract, may still be able to ramp up towards 20 PPG.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#29 » by TylersLakers » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:20 pm

If he wants it, he's going to get it. The Lakers have to be smart about this from a basketball perspective.

If LeBron is all about winning (and I believe that he is), Pelinka and Jeanie need to come prepared. Bring him scenarios.

A) If you take $25-30M a season - Here's what we can do with the roster.

B) If you take $35-40M a season - Here's what we can do with the roster.

C) If you take the max ($50M) - Here's what we can do with the roster.

A guy like LeBron isn't going to take less unless he knows it's going to drastically impact his chances of winning. So once the season ends, Pelinka needs to put in the work, get on the phones with GM's and see what's out there. Once he knows and he has it set up and ready to present to LeBron, he can meet with him before the opt-out date and get an agreement hammered out.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#30 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:54 am

wco81 wrote:I understand the sentiment and it may make sense if the Lakers had a lot of draft assets in the immediate future to get something out of a drop in the W-L record if they let LeBron walk. And if they do decide to let him walk, they would probably trade AD as well, unless they can acquire at least another all-star or better type of wing to pair with AD.

But the Lakers won't have more/less draft assets in 3 years....so it's a moot point. The point is: can you win with this squad? We're not even close. We're a complete middle of the road team. At least now, if we trade AD we'll get some picks back. We should get 3 picks for AD. That's at least something to start rebuilding with. In 2-3 years when Lebron is done, AD will be too...and there will be no picks coming for him.

So....were those 2-3 years worth it? Even if you didn't get a title...we're you at least seriously in contention? I don't think we're close. Our record says we aren't either.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#31 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:03 am

TylersLakers wrote:If he wants it, he's going to get it. The Lakers have to be smart about this from a basketball perspective.

If LeBron is all about winning (and I believe that he is), Pelinka and Jeanie need to come prepared. Bring him scenarios.

A) If you take $25-30M a season - Here's what we can do with the roster.

B) If you take $35-40M a season - Here's what we can do with the roster.

C) If you take the max ($50M) - Here's what we can do with the roster.

Ok, but what if Lebron says "give me $60, and figure it out"?

Nah....F that. "Lebron....this team is nowhere near contention. We'd love to keep you, but we're gonna rebuild, and need flexibility. If you wanna come back for $20-25mil, we can work with that. Otherwise...best of luck"
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:14 am

And I'm not hating on Lebron. He's been totally worth it. Brought a title. I have ZERO complaints (well couple small ones, but whatever) with his time here as a Laker. But this is about where we are, and moving forward.

This isn't a team that's a couple tweaks from some big things. And it's a team that will just get a little worse, and a little worse with each year.

The FO needs to grow a pair....and go rebuild. We could prob get 3-4 first rounders...and maybe a couple second rounders, if we cleaned house. so why are we clinging onto a 9th place team? It's ridiculous.
kaansunman
Freshman
And1: 34

Post#33 » by kaansunman » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:22 am

I wish he would retire with the current contract but it's highly unlikely.

When he opts out and wants whatever contract (max or not max for us to build a better roster), Jeanie can't say no to him. Businesswise she is right by the way, LeBron is a valuable asset that brings tons of money.

I won't be happy at all and loosing my every day since LeBron but who am I...
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,222

Post#34 » by Kilroy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 pm

When we couldn't build a championship contender around Kobe, Kobe got dragged all over the internet for years... We can't build a true contender around LeBron, and it's everyone else's fault...

The reality is, it's very hard to build competitive teams around aging superstars... And it's hard to let them go... But there's nothing I've seen so far that indicates the Lakers will ever be a true contender as long as LeBron is with us... His offense is still great, but his defense is a huge problem, and his presence is keeping away talent.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...

Return to Los Angeles Lakers