ImageImageImageImageImage

Are You Happy Giving Bron 3 Year Max Contract - Poll Included

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Are You Ok giving Bron 3 years max deal at his age?

YES
28%
NO
34%
Let Him walk
6%
Offer him something else like 1 year or 2nd year option etc but not 3 years
16%
Other options not worth 3 years
3%
I love Bron Give him what he wants LOL
3%
Meh what ever LOL
9%

Total votes: 32

SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,188

Are You Happy Giving Bron 3 Year Max Contract - Poll Included 

Post#1 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 12:02 am

Frist and for most the below link was the first one that came up after googling about this topic

As most of you know I don't like Bron and never wanted him, for many reasons which I won't go Into here, as this Is not the topic for it, just had to put that out there - So I might be a little biased IN regards to this, but aren't we all to some point haha.

Seems that Bron wants 3 years $60mil this Is absolutely absurd, giving a 39/40 year old guy this type of money and/or that contract wow, If Lakers do this I will be done until he off the team haha. Still watch Reaves highlights though (love the guy) I won't be able to stand this If It happens..

I would be ok with a 1 year at a time, type of contract. I mean the dude gonna eventually get Injured then what stuck with that massive 3 year contract yikes.

So real question Is, are you ok with giving him this type of contract at current age etc.

https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/rumors/lakers-rumors-lebron-james-hoping-for-insane-3-year-new-contract-with-la-ak1987
Bring back Defense
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Re: Are You Happy Giving Bron 3 Year Max Contract - Poll Included 

Post#2 » by NBAWestFan » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:12 am

Lebron is old and should be a part time player with less and less money.
He can make a big impact but with less and less time should bet less $ to give the Lekers a chance to make the signings needed.
Lebron doesn't need anymore $. He has enough to invest and live off for his family and several generations.
Take a playbook from T Brady sign for less and increase the chances to win.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#3 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:33 am

NBAWestFan wrote:Lebron is old and should be a part time player with less and less money.
He can make a big impact but with less and less time should bet less $ to give the Lekers a chance to make the signings needed.
Lebron doesn't need anymore $. He has enough to invest and live off for his family and several generations.
Take a playbook from T Brady sign for less and increase the chances to win.

I don't mind giving him the max for 1 year. But giving him a 3 year contract Is was makes me mad

He gonna eventually get hurt OR not play as many games etc

Just go season by season see how he goes, but give him 3 years absurd

If he really wants to win, take less, like you said he doesn't need the $$$ take less win more :) get yet again the players you need around you to win :)
Bring back Defense
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#4 » by danfantastk32 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:01 am

What does it matter? You know the Lakers are gonna give it to him...so whats the point?

Anyone notice the Thunder are first in the West? They got a ton of picks, and it's starting to bear fruit. Something the Lakers should have done this last offseason. But they won't. Lebron has been great for the team.....not knocking what he's done. But the simple fact is, that he and Davis aren't enough. And each year they get older, it get's further away.

It will be stupid, but they will sign him. Sadly they lack the balls, and the imagination to do anything else
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#5 » by SlimShady83 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 8:22 am

danfantastk32 wrote:What does it matter? You know the Lakers are gonna give it to him...so whats the point?

Anyone notice the Thunder are first in the West? They got a ton of picks, and it's starting to bear fruit. Something the Lakers should have done this last offseason. But they won't. Lebron has been great for the team.....not knocking what he's done. But the simple fact is, that he and Davis aren't enough. And each year they get older, it get's further away.

It will be stupid, but they will sign him. Sadly they lack the balls, and the imagination to do anything else

I hope It doesn't happen, but totally agree with you about them signing him, Lakers better hope they can get that 3rd star player IMO.. Probably what they're hoping for. Time will tell, I'm still against them signing him the max though just don't give him the 3 years what he wants.
Bring back Defense
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#6 » by Landsberger » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:27 pm

No... we aren't winning again with him as the center of the team.
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,500

Post#7 » by JustBuzzin » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:19 pm

Linda and Jeanie were hugged up on Bron Bron at the game the other night. Safe to assume LeBron will retire a Lakers. 8-)
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#8 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:31 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Linda and Jeanie were hugged up on Bron Bron at the game the other night. Safe to assume LeBron will retire a Lakers. 8-)

That's too retire, just not giving him 3 years LMAO he can retire this season for all I care :) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bring back Defense
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#9 » by wco81 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:30 pm

Landsberger wrote:No... we aren't winning again with him as the center of the team.

Well the rumors are they will look to make a big trade, for someone like Donovan Mitchell or Trae Young.

So maybe the idea is that he won't have to try to be the primary scorer.

But it means they may trade a lot of future draft assets. There was an article posted about how over his career, Lebron's teams have traded away like 20 FRPs or something like that.

The strategy has some logic, you want to maximize the chances to win with one of the all time great players.

But when he's 39, how many draft assets do you want to trade away?

He's still at least an all-star level player but will he continue to be over the next 3 years? If he falls off or misses a lot of games due to injury in the next few years, then the Lakers will have traded away future picks and Bron isn't playing as much.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,835

Post#10 » by Beethoven » Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:31 am

I'd give him 4 years.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#11 » by SlimShady83 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:59 am

Beethoven wrote:I'd give him 4 years.

Least fav person on this forum now LOL
Bring back Defense
NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#12 » by NBAWestFan » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:22 pm

I like the Idea of giving him 1 year.

Maybe a 1 year and option to be a assistant coach.

Player coach but he has to be willing to less to shore up $ for free agents.

He already is a part time coach without the title.
RamonSessions7
RealGM
And1: 4,037

Post#13 » by RamonSessions7 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:33 am

Nope. Hes a 1way player understandably at this point, and the front office is not competent enough to work around that cap number and produce anything useful.
Big Moves
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#14 » by Big Moves » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:33 pm

Used to post on PSD, but since the website shut down I opened an account here. From a business perspective, it's worth it to keep LBJ on the team, because of the media coverage and sponsors. From a basketball perspective, absolutely, 100% not. Not only should we not give him a max contract, but we shouldn't re-sign him at all. He's more of a #3 option at this point, unless you pair him with a top 5 guy, which he is certainly not (probably in the top 20 in the league at this point, but if he is, he just barely meets the cutoff at 17-20 or so, but he might not be top 20). Frankly, there are more than 20 players currently in the league who we would be much better suited to extend a max contract to. Hard pass on LBJ at this point, but I agree with others that we likely will give him a max extension, because Jeannie is not really about winning championships and seems more concerned with optics and running a profitable business (which makes sense since this is a business for them, but from a fan's perspective, that's not what we are or should be concerned with).
Big Moves
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#15 » by Big Moves » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:41 pm

Any one who thinks that we should give him a max contract need only look at how much we've struggled this season despite LBJ, AD, Russell, and Reaves being relatively healthy (Rui as well). We've had injuries, but we have a ton of depth and everyone else also has injuries so that's not really a valid excuse. We're once again going to have to go the play in and under the more traditional format would miss the playoffs altogether. This has been a recurring theme with this team since LBJ joined with the exception of 2020 and with a roster this deep and as many strong players that we have to basically be struggling to get into the playoffs year in and year out, it's pretty clear what the problem is.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,259

Post#16 » by wco81 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:58 pm

Opinions can and will likely change depending on how the Lakers do the rest of this season.

With the right matchup, such as getting out of the play-in and maybe matched up vs. maybe OKC which may be vulnerable to size or an inexperienced team like Minnesota, Lakers could take out a high seed in the first round.

But even if they don't make another run like last season, what other options do the Lakers have in the near future?

If they let Lebron walk after this season or next season, who would they get? The rumored players such as Trae or Donovan Mitchell or DJM may not improve the Lakers' prospects as a contender, even if AD could be All-NBA and All-Defense (even DPOY) for the next 3 seasons.

If they keep Lebron and added one of those all-star guards, maybe they are a top 4 WC seed but can they still beat Denver or the improving OKC (with all their draft assets)?

The assumption is that if they extend Lebron, they'd be more willing to trade FRPs to acquire one of these guards so pretty much going all-in on trying to win as Lebron hits his early 40s.

Otherwise, Lakers have to really aim high and try to sign away a top MVP-level candidate. Luka has a player option for the summer of 2026. SGA is a UFA in the summer of 2027. Lakers have lured away face of the franchise types of players many times in franchise history

So maybe that's what it would take, though will Lebron or AD still be All-NBA level players 3 or 4 seasons from now?
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#17 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:06 am

wco81 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:No... we aren't winning again with him as the center of the team.

Well the rumors are they will look to make a big trade, for someone like Donovan Mitchell or Trae Young.

Yeah, but that was puff-piece sent out by the Lakers front office, to let players (and teams) know that the Lakers were open to make a deal. And let's not forget that there's been no interest from Mitchell in coming here. There's been no indication that the Cavs are looking to move him. That article was essentially the Lakers FO "meddling" - without getting in trouble, because it was a news article "speculating the Lakers intent that picks were on the table". <----- Does any of this lead to any actual traction??

The Lakers do have an alternative course of action: SELL!!!! Don't buy with your picks....sell your current players (Namely AD) for picks! Let Lebron walk (or come back for reduced salary (or at very least keep him at same salary for year or two while your picks develop)). Reboot this thing! Instead of selling the future picks...acquire additional ones, and begin the next chapter.

Of course this requires 3 things: The balls to have a pretty crappy team for 3 - 4 years. Good homework and drafting. Some sort of creativity, and long-term game plan. <------I don't count on either of those from our current FO.

I'd argue we have a pretty crappy team now. Super uninteresting, 9th in the West, and 17th in the league. And let's not forget this important fact: on the downhill slide. Even if Lebron and AD remain injury free next year, they're going to be slightly worse. So what are we really doing here?
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#18 » by stan francisco » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:58 am

If we wouldn’t have overpaid for Kobe’s twilight years, would LBJ have been here?

If we don’t overpay for LBJ in his twilight years, will the next star want to commit?
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
SlimShady83
General Manager

Post#19 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:20 am

stan francisco wrote:If we wouldn’t have overpaid for Kobe’s twilight years, would LBJ have been here?

If we don’t overpay for LBJ in his twilight years, will the next star want to commit?

Don't we already have the next star player In AD ... Or doesn't he count? LOL

I think LA will be fine ... #Young ... #Luka #SGA ... Ok maybe not all 3 or 2 out of 3, but along side AD I can see at least 1 of them coming :) especially Post Bron. La IS and always will be star player town :)
Bring back Defense
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#20 » by stan francisco » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:17 am

SlimShady83 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:If we wouldn’t have overpaid for Kobe’s twilight years, would LBJ have been here?

Don't we already have the next star player In AD ... Or doesn't he count? LOL

I think LA will be fine ... #Young ... #Luka #SGA ... Ok maybe not all 3 or 2 out of 3, but along side AD I can see at least 1 of them coming :) especially Post Bron. La IS and always will be star player town :)

The real contenders have more than one star. Boston has three.

EDIT: And Slim, when will you start watching defense? Lol :D. AD is an all-time great on that end. It’s what wins championships like the one AD’s defense won us in the bubble.

AD is a defensive superstar. Ray Brown. His defense stays. We need two more stars next to him in order to beat Boston etc. I’m just hoping Trey “No-D-too-small-and-weak” Young is never considered. I fear Jeannie and Rob would do it as a favor to Kobe. Kobe was about winning, not soft gloves.

Donovan Mitchel is a top ten defender league wide, AND he can score with the best of them. He’d be a good fit with AD. Build around the two. Austin Reaves is turning into our own Ginobili. Christie, JHS, Hayes, Lewis are coming up the pipeline. Vando and Reddish are good defenders. We’re deep.

But if LBJ is playing like he has this year’s regular season, let’s get creative. No 3 year deal. Our defense is better when he sits.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers