ImageImageImageImageImage

Lakers dropped the ball this off-season because...

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

loveshaq007
Sophomore
And1: 20

Lakers dropped the ball this off-season because... 

Post#1 » by loveshaq007 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:20 pm

I'll start... gabe over Donte and Naz
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Re: Lakers dropped the ball this off-season because... 

Post#2 » by loveshaq007 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:24 pm

loveshaq007 wrote:I'll start... gabe over Donte and Naz

we also missed by not trading gabe and a first for Gafford, or Gabe and a second for O'Neal, or trading gabe for monte straight up
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,448

Post#3 » by Slava » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:28 pm

I think Naz extended with Minnesota before he hit free agency.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#4 » by loveshaq007 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:50 pm

Slava wrote:I think Naz extended with Minnesota before he hit free agency.

yes you're right

we should have gone with Donte, rose, and Lonnie... over Gabe, cam, and prince.

we should drafted another wing over a PG. missed out on Pod, cam, and Jaime... smh!
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,448

Post#5 » by Slava » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:08 pm

loveshaq007 wrote:
Slava wrote:I think Naz extended with Minnesota before he hit free agency.

yes you're right

we should have gone with Donte, rose, and Lonnie... over Gabe, cam, and prince.

we should drafted another wing over a PG. missed out on Pod, cam, and Jaime... smh!

Hindsight is always 20/20 but out of those dudes, Donte is the only one who could have helped and we already have two small combo guards on the roster. Dinwiddie is a better pick up than any of them.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#6 » by danfantastk32 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:17 pm

I think we dropped the ball because we had a nice post-season run last year. It was fools gold. We beat a young "whipper-snapper" in the Grizzlies....who were without the "Ja" that they had been accustomed to. Next we beat a Warriors team that had no business being there. They are a husk (maybe even less) of what they were. And then when we actually faced a decent team....it was a 4-game sweep.

Analyst and fans pointed to how close each game was. But ignored the fact that each game was in fact a loss. I think the Lakers FO walked away last season drinking the Kool-Aid. They thought this team had a much better supporting cast than it did, and that we were a couple tweaks from competing for a title.

I don't want to completely hate. This team traded away bone-head....and immediately went on quite a run. Defense stepped up. Role-players were stepping up left, right, and center. It was easy to get caught up in it. And while both playoff teams we beat had huge gaping flaws.....we did still beat 2 playoff teams. Was a good run. Was a fun run. I certainly understand alot of people being pumped for the future.

But ownership and guys getting paid NOT to buy the hype shoulda focused more on the reality. This team was a huge rung lower than the Nuggets. And none of our momentum or good vibes could even eek out ONE victory. And when you answer this question honestly: Did we just lose to an all-time juggernaut, or did we just beat 2 paper tigers?

Our brain trust shoulda known better. Maybe they did, and decided to enjoy the gravy-train till it derailed? Either way...here we are
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,835

Post#7 » by Beethoven » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:25 am

^I'm gonna say this, I still believe we had something last postseason and I do believe this year we still have some resemblance to that team and potentially better. It's ham that is the eventual ceiling for this team that will hamper any extended run into the playoffs.
If Phil Jackson had last year's team we would have beaten the mcnuggets.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,545

Post#8 » by stan francisco » Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:37 am

Ham should’ve been replaced. Becky Hammon, Jerry Stackhouse, Juwan Howard, Kevin Ollie.
NBA titles since the merger: LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4.
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#9 » by loveshaq007 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:56 pm

Dlo was praising ham after the game... y'all agree?
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Beethoven » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:26 pm

loveshaq007 wrote:Dlo was praising ham after the game... y'all agree?

DLo is a gentleman. The team is comprised of gentlemen. They won't air their dirty laundry in public and will praise others in the height of positive emotion after a big win.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#11 » by TylersLakers » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:33 pm

Honestly, there's been a few things that I don't think the front office could have ever forecasted.

1) Ham declining as a coach as rapidly as he has. I just don't understand it. We won with guys like Rui and Vando playing big minutes last year. Taurean Prince was a really nice addition that I was extremely happy about. To play him more minutes than he's ever played in his career and lessen Rui and Vando's role was crazy in the moment. Relying on Cam Reddish as much as we have - again, complete insanity. Not to mention our schemes. They've been really bad especially defensively. Players (Anthony Davis included) have openly come out and said this. Offensively, when we've run stuff, we've gotten great results. Go check out Cranjis' twitter handle. He charts every time the Lakers run set plays vs freelancing. Whenever we run at least 60% set plays, our record in those games is like 15-3 or something.

2) Gabe Vincent and Vando missing the amount of time that they have. It's been an absolute killer. You fully expect players to miss games, but you don't expect them to miss the first 20-25 games in Vando's case and then the last 20 games. You don't expect Gabe Vincent to play 5-10 games on the season. Those guys were two important players to this rotation and I think not having them led to a snowball effect of the rotation issues that we went through. Not having Vando early led to a lot of Prince. Not having Gabe (a point of attack defender) led to Cam Reddish. Ham still needed to play the guys that were best that's for sure but not having those two especially led to galaxy braining this whole thing.
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,637

Post#12 » by danfantastk32 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 am

Beethoven wrote:^I'm gonna say this, I still believe we had something last postseason and I do believe this year we still have some resemblance to that team and potentially better.

Well, you might be right. We certainly brought the defense. But I still have some questions. It would have gone a long way with me if we'd won a couple games against Denver. If we'd made it a good 6-game series or something, I'd have no argument. Or if we'd beat someone I'd have considered a good team. But to beat two very flawed and mediocre teams, only to get swept once we hit the big-time....I just don't know.

We do seem to be hitting a good stride now. Beating some good teams, and building some momentum for the post-season. We'll need it. Our D needs to get back in shape, and fast.
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by stan francisco » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:51 pm

We won’t win rings unless we drop the constant drop coverage. Don’t listen to Ham when he tells you to go under a screen on a player like Jamaal Murray. Just don’t do it. When opposing coach adjusts their defense and offense in any tiny way, Ham seems unable to notice, let alone react. Players need to have their own plan. They need to take a timeout if he doesn’t when it’s needed.

Phil would’ve killed with this roster.
Beethoven
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Beethoven » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:16 pm

I dunno. Unless mcnuggets drop to 2/3 AND we beat Houston/GSW AND sac goes to 6th AND Pho faces us for 8th seeding.... I dont see anything more to really talk about or hope for in this season.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by stan francisco » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:11 pm

Beethoven wrote:I dunno. Unless mcnuggets drop to 2/3 AND we beat Houston/GSW AND sac goes to 6th AND Pho faces us for 8th seeding.... I dont see anything more to really talk about or hope for in this season.

I think we can beat any team in a play-in game. I don’t think we can take Denver or another well coached team in a seven game series because Ham doesn’t know how to adjust from game to game.

Part of me hopes we don’t make the playoffs so that Ham will leave. This is a good roster and it’s under utilized.
Landsberger
General Manager
And1: 1,969

Post#16 » by Landsberger » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:27 am

The FO is playing to keep seats full since it's their sole source of income. As long as Lebron is the focus of this team we are not going to win another chip unless lightening strikes. Nothing against him, but at this point he's not carrying a team past the top teams anymore. Even if we get a "3rd" guy it's not going to be enough because it's Bron's team and Bron-Ball will dictate how the rest of the team plays.

Davis isn't a leader either. How they play this offseason will dictate how long it will be before we are truly back. We're barely better than last year and no one here thought we'd get both Bron and Davis all year. Also, giving Russell a dime to stay here was foolish. He's no different than he's been everywhere else he's played.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,189

Post#17 » by SlimShady83 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:33 am

Need a consistent BIG next too AD
Bring back Defense
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#18 » by loveshaq007 » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:33 pm

SlimShady83 wrote:Need a consistent BIG next too AD

reaves for naz or claxton
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,189

Post#19 » by SlimShady83 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:27 am

loveshaq007 wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:Need a consistent BIG next too AD

reaves for naz or claxton

Don't know much about Naz/ Claxton, but far as I've read, Lakers not trading Reaves deal unless Involves star player, but again don't know much about Naz/Claxton - And In saying the above, Lakers could change their minds.
Bring back Defense
loveshaq007
Sophomore

Post#20 » by loveshaq007 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:27 am

I don't think it will happen but that's the tweak we need. if we are going for a superstar I really hope it's d. Mitchell over trae young.... and I definitely think that Kyrie could be had for cheaper

my vote... is Dlo, reaves and two picks for d. Mitch... or same package and one pick (instead of two) for Kyrie

signing and trading Hayes and cam/prince and first for Claxton and two seconds is likely

Return to Los Angeles Lakers