ImageImageImageImageImage

What adjustments need to be made for Game 2?

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

NBAWestFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

What adjustments need to be made for Game 2? 

Post#1 » by NBAWestFan » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:34 am

I think they will let them play like in Game 1. what i mean is the refs will let PJ Brown push Gasol or whoever to get position. They won't let Kobe get too many free throws.

Lakers need to play more physical.

they might not win the battle of the boards but they need to keep it close.

Kobe needs to get it going.

They need to give Ariza some time to see if he is a gamer.

this is a physical defensive series. The Lakers need to punch back.

Ronny needs to get more time. Walton needs less time and Farmar needs more play so Fish can be ready for the 2nd half.

**** Careful of the Pick n roll **** Paul Pierce picked that one off and Boston seems to be waiting for Kobe to dish it to Gasol and will try to pick off themselves. Throw it high if a smaller defenders is on Gasol.

Spread the floor if the pick and roll has a double on Gasol.

Odom needs to drive in without charging into players.

Kobe needs to drive in and take it to the hole even if he gets blocked sometimes.

When it is crunch time the Lakers will need their best Athletic gamers on the floor. Ariza, Odom, Kobe, Fish and also a Rested Gasol.

Phil needs a way to keep Gasol fresh and not to get so tire by the end of the game.

My last but not least comment is I think we need Ariza to have a shot at winning this series. Ariza needs to be out there because he is so athletic, quick and a great defender. It is about his D. Roll the dice Phil.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#2 » by DEEP3CL » Fri Jun 6, 2008 5:59 am

Actually the pick and roll punished the Celtics, but it got sloppy when the angles were bad on the passes.

The rebounding has to be better. The Celtics out rebounded the Lakers by 10 but trust me the stats are misleading because a lot of there offensive boards came from balls being tipped by Laker players then grabbed by Celtic players. But at the same time they got to box and seal guys away.

The next adjustment is not getting in the penalty too early, in that third thats what happened. the Lakers led 62-58 with 6:49 left in the 3rd when Peirce came back then the fouls started coming quicker.
They have to stop fouling especially Luke and Ronny.

Last but not least I suspect we should stop wishing for Trevor to play, bottom line is if he was going to play a heavy role Phil would have given him useful minutes in the Spur series. That was the first series that he was there for the beginning and didn't see too much time.

So if he didn't go to him tonight odds are he won't play this series either. Phil really did some odds things tonight.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Miami's Finest
Starter
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Miami's Finest » Fri Jun 6, 2008 6:15 am

Kobe needs to stop settling for jump shots, attack more or pass. This Phil Jackson quote from his book about Kobe in the detroit series describes tonight exactly.
"Kobe scored 25, but needed 27 field-goal attempts. Instead of driving to the hoop, Kobe settled for difficult shots with Prince in his face. He simply didn't know how to attack the kid."
phat_24
Junior
And1: 5

Post#4 » by phat_24 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 6:25 am

I do NOT want to see nba finals 2004 kobe this series. This is what Boston is baiting him into by cloggin up the lane.

Kobe's chosen to bite in the first game when it comes to the jumpers. Will he adjust? I hope the mature Kobe comes out with better shot selection and more attacking drives to the hoop. Easier said than done because of the Celtics bigmen that lie in waiting, however, this is where our role players step in.

The pick and roll needs to be ready in the second half of games and for the love of god we need to box out. If the first game is any indication then Boston's D, hustle and execution in the all important 3rd qtr will win them the series if the Lakers don't make the adjustments.
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#5 » by tylrrr » Fri Jun 6, 2008 6:32 am

Lamar Odom should probably learn how to make a layup. And Kobe need to not go 2/8 to start the game.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#6 » by Erik Eleven » Fri Jun 6, 2008 6:36 am

Since this team's offense seems to be what triggers their defense, I'd prioritize it like this:

tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#7 » by tylrrr » Fri Jun 6, 2008 6:41 am

I thought they should have kept exploiting the pick and roll, Boston wasn't defending it all too well.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#8 » by Teen Girl Squad » Fri Jun 6, 2008 8:42 am

We need to run. The Celtics are not a good transition team and in the 2nd it was our early offense that stymied them.
kobela32
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#9 » by kobela32 » Fri Jun 6, 2008 1:23 pm

we need to goddamn rebound to even think about competeing the lack of boxing out and hussle on the boards made me sick. and the lack of hussle on d, just giving posey a wide open 3 towards the end, wtf were they thinking. they had way many oppurtunities late in the game and none of them could capitalize, f'ing disgraceful.

:nonono: :banghead: :banghead:

:noway: :noway: :noway:
THE laker fan
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#10 » by hermes » Fri Jun 6, 2008 1:32 pm

rebounding needs to improve
kobe attack more
get out and run
continue the pick and roll, that worked pretty good
stop rondo penetrations
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#11 » by snaquille oatmeal » Fri Jun 6, 2008 2:29 pm

Miami's Finest wrote:Kobe needs to stop settling for jump shots, attack more or pass. This Phil Jackson quote from his book about Kobe in the detroit series describes tonight exactly.
"Kobe scored 25, but needed 27 field-goal attempts. Instead of driving to the hoop, Kobe settled for difficult shots with Prince in his face. He simply didn't know how to attack the kid."
I am starting to get tired of people judging Kobes stats without context.

sure he shot 26 fieldgoals and only made 9, but what needs to be understood is that the majority of those missed shots were good look shots, he just missed them.

there were very few where he could have kicked it to the open man.

if he would have hit 50% of his missed shots when he had a good look at the basket then noboby would be saying s**t. he just had a bad shooting night, heck the whole team had a bad shooting night.
Forum permissions