Lakers' Ariza exercises contract option

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

MAMBAEMD
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,622

Re: Lakers' Ariza exercises contract option 

Post#21 » by MAMBAEMD » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:33 pm

Erik Eleven wrote:
lakerRD wrote:I wonder if he should add a little bulk. I know that may affect his quickness a bit, but may help him if he has a little more strength for post defense.
The other thing he needs to improve on is to stay out of foul trouble. In other words, he just needs more and more PT to learn the NBA game.

He needs to get a bit stronger but I'm not too worried about it yet. I'm sure the training staff will make sure that he build his core strength over the summer. I don't think he needs too much bulk, just a lot of added core strength to avoid being bumped around so easily by bigs.

And like you said, Phil needs to play him more next regular season so that the refs look at him as a legit starting caliber NBA defensive player. That'll help keeping him out of foul trouble.

So, I've been waiting for Luke and Radmanovic to adopt/fill the Rick Fox persona/function of this team, but to no avail. Maybe Trevor has a better shot at becoming that tough s.o.b. who shows no fear, doesn't know the word quit, and takes it to the opponent relentlessly in every game. We need an enforcer Like that at SF. Some would say it's Artest. It could also be Ariza. But, only if he gets a whole lot stronger and works on that outside shot until he shoots it at a high clip.

I couldn't agree with you more. Well said.

If I had a choice of developing Ariza vs going for Artest, I would honestly go with Ariza.
Way too much baggage with Artest. If we could just get Artest, the basketball player, that would be something special, but we all know that is not reality.
I guess I have also been hoping for Luke and Radman to do the stuff that Fox used to do. The little things, rebound, box out, put a body on somebody, some hard fouls here and there to keep people honest, dive for loose balls, have other guys back on defense, just like Posey did for the C's. I guess I shouldn't count on that anymore.
But I think Ariza can do all those things and would be willing to do them.
You are right on. He needs a bit more strength and an outside jumper.
I hope he goes in the gym this summer, and earn his next contract with the Lakers.
Formerly lakerRD
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,466

Post#22 » by Slava » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Hmm...I like the Ariza vs Artest comparisons on defense but Artest has a pretty good post up game to go along with his defense and a pretty decent 3 pt shot. It'll take Ariza quite a while to be able to develop that scoring mentality.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#23 » by Erik Eleven » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:35 pm

If you set aside Artest's behavior patterns, he is of course a better fit altogether. He's the stronger defender of the two and he's a better shooter, hands down.

But you can't put his personalities aside. That's like discussing, "If Angelina Jolie was butt ugly, Brad Pitt would or would not be with her" — it's a moot point. She is a bombshell and that's a fact. Artest is nuts and that's a fact. Just like Kwame was a head case, this guy is, too, but on a much grander scale. When it comes to Artest and his behavior, it's impossible to predict what he'll do next. In the midst of training camp, he might decide to become an actor, cage fighter or race car driver instead — who knows?

Yeah, I'd sign him for a dirt cheap contract if he wants to come here to play, but if there even is the slightest tendency of him jeopardizing the great team chemistry this team has built, kick him to the curb immediately. No second chances. And I'd let him and his agent know that up front.

Ariza is not that far behind Artest anyway. Hopefully he'll make great strides this summer. Even for all the praise he gets for his potential, he's still an underrated defender, I think. In the same breath, Artest's offense is over rated. He makes horrible decisions at inopportune times.

LLE for Artest? Yes.
MLE for Artest? I'm not so sure. I think I would rather spend that money on a guy with a functional brain.
creepystan
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#24 » by creepystan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:59 pm

Nothing motivates a player more than a contract year.
I expect good things from Ariza next season.
Anklebreaker702
RealGM
And1: 164

Post#25 » by Anklebreaker702 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:19 pm

Good move Trevor. I think he's part of the nucleus we need to keep together to win 4 out of the next 5 or so. WE WILL PASS BOSTON IN CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!! :lol:
VETERAN LAKER FAN
DubaLakers
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#26 » by DubaLakers » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:40 pm

[quote="milesfides"]Damn him, doesn't he know that his 3m contract costs the team 6m?

Miles please explain...

This is great news, more Ariza, less Vlad.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers