ImageImageImageImageImage

Rumor: Ron Artest opts out/to opt out.

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Re: Rumor: Ron Artest opts out/to opt out. 

Post#41 » by semi-sentient » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:30 pm

Yeah, there's definitely some conflicting information here, but it's something to watch out for. I'd personally be shocked if Artest took MLE-type money, but you never know. This whole year has been like Christmas as a Lakers fan, so hopefully that continues. :)
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#42 » by tkb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:37 pm

Artest on the Lakers would just be fantastic. He'd win championships for sure if that is what matters to him (and hopefully it is). There are few players I want more on our team right now than Artest (who are semi-available).
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by tkb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:37 pm

CITYOFANGELSX3 wrote:I doubt he'd opt out to take less money. The spurs are under the cap, i could see him signing there. We should hope he doesnt opt out. Our best chance is a sign and trade if he does opt out. Though i dont believe this ny report.

I'm pretty sure the Spurs only have the MLE to offer.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#44 » by semi-sentient » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:46 pm

tkb wrote:
CITYOFANGELSX3 wrote:I doubt he'd opt out to take less money. The spurs are under the cap, i could see him signing there. We should hope he doesnt opt out. Our best chance is a sign and trade if he does opt out. Though i dont believe this ny report.

Yep... Spurs currently have $57,121,368 (according to HoopsHype) locked up in contracts, so that puts them right at the cap. $40m of that is going to Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. They won't be under the cap any time soon.
Italianhanger
Senior
And1: 0

Post#45 » by Italianhanger » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:17 pm

artest would be a good addition but if we cant make it happen... posey, anyone?
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#46 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:38 pm

semi-sentient wrote:
tkb wrote:

Yep... Spurs currently have $57,121,368 (according to HoopsHype) locked up in contracts, so that puts them right at the cap. $40m of that is going to Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili. They won't be under the cap any time soon.

Plus, I believe that is 57 million wrapped up in 9-10 players.
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#47 » by Erik Eleven » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:45 pm

I wouldn't worry about the Spurs falling over dead just yet. Watch them draft another Ginobili and Parker in the second round.
joe.linnen
Banned User

Post#48 » by joe.linnen » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:52 pm

I say yeah let go after Artest, JR Smith, and Kwame Brown. I want us to go after JR Smith if Vujacic wants to leave and I want Kwame Brown back just for defence.
SF:Artest/Ariza/walton
PF:Gasol/Odom/Radmanovic
C:Bynum/Brown/Turiaf
SG:Bryant/Smith
PG:Fisher/Farmar
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#49 » by supaflash » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:40 pm

How are you going to get Artest and Smith :o

Didn't the article with Artest saying "not in 10 million years" have an actual audio clip of him saying it? He just seems like a greedy guy to me, remember when Indy was contending and he wanted to work on his music career?

Honestly I'd much rather have Maggette. Here's a class guy that works his tail off, works out with Kobe in the offseason, has steadily improved his outside game, is big, strong, and physical, gets to the line a lot, rebounds well, and can create his own shot (which is something we need almost as much as defense at the 3 spot). I think he's a more then capable defender and will be even better along side Kobe and backed by the 7fters. At 28 with the shape he keeps himself in I'd have no qualms about giving him a 4-5 year deal at the MLE. Kobe and Mitch should beg this guy to opt out and sign a nice deal with them.

That said I think they should spend the MLE at something like the following order and rate:

Maggette (Full MLE @4-5 years)
Artest (Full MLE)
Posey (Full MLE @ 3 years max)
Peitrus (4.5-5 mil)
Childress (4 mil)
J.R. Smith (4 mil)
M Barnes (3 mil)

beyond that I think we'd be better off spending on a big guy or two and just letting Lamar and Ariza stay at the 3 full time. Diop anyone? That or split it and try to get a defensive guard and big like Duhon and Kwame or something.
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#50 » by daddyfivestar » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:36 pm

In addition to the committed salaries, aren't there Cap Holds too that the league imposes on teams - 1st round pick, minimums to fill out the roster when only 9-10 players are under contract, etc.

A team like the Spurs would have to be 5-10 mil under to really have room for FA's on July 1 (or moratorium end actually).
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by tkb » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:50 pm

supaflash wrote:How are you going to get Artest and Smith :o

Didn't the article with Artest saying "not in 10 million years" have an actual audio clip of him saying it? He just seems like a greedy guy to me, remember when Indy was contending and he wanted to work on his music career?

Honestly I'd much rather have Maggette. Here's a class guy that works his tail off, works out with Kobe in the offseason, has steadily improved his outside game, is big, strong, and physical, gets to the line a lot, rebounds well, and can create his own shot (which is something we need almost as much as defense at the 3 spot). I think he's a more then capable defender and will be even better along side Kobe and backed by the 7fters. At 28 with the shape he keeps himself in I'd have no qualms about giving him a 4-5 year deal at the MLE. Kobe and Mitch should beg this guy to opt out and sign a nice deal with them.

That said I think they should spend the MLE at something like the following order and rate:

Maggette (Full MLE @4-5 years)
Artest (Full MLE)
Posey (Full MLE @ 3 years max)
Peitrus (4.5-5 mil)
Childress (4 mil)
J.R. Smith (4 mil)
M Barnes (3 mil)

beyond that I think we'd be better off spending on a big guy or two and just letting Lamar and Ariza stay at the 3 full time. Diop anyone? That or split it and try to get a defensive guard and big like Duhon and Kwame or something.

Maggette is a decent player, but his BBIQ isn't something to desire. I have a lot of questions about him learning the triangle whereas Artest is a perfect triangle player and a million times better on the defensive end to boot. Artest as a basketball player is also a lot stronger mentally (will to win etc.). The difference between them is that Artest is someone I REALLY want us to sign, and Maggette is someone I'd accept as a fairly good addition but nothing spectacular.

Also disagree about Artest being greedy. This is a guy who has never earned more than 8 million in one season if I'm not mistaken, and he even offered to give his entire salary to charity one year if 5 other millionaires offered him to follow suit (he made 6ish million that season).

On your list, I'd easily rate Childress above Pietrus btw (Childress is for sure worth the full MLE). I'd rate the guys you listed like this:

1. Artest (by a lot)
2. Childress/Posey
3. Posey/Childress
4. Maggette
5. JR Smith
6. Pietrus
7. Barnes
supaflash
Sixth Man
And1: 131

Post#52 » by supaflash » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:11 pm

I like Childress a lot, I agree. He rebounds really well and is a lot tougher then his frame suggests. He played great against Boston and he does intangible stuff. He's a Cali kid too :) I also think he could play point at times in the triangle as a big defender ala Ron Harper. I believe he's played point at times in his career and done well at it.

Don't get me wrong, I like Artest's game and I think he would indeed fit well, I just don't know about him sometimes. Granted Phil is great at handling off the wall personalities so it probably wouldn't matter. I think you are under valuing Corey a bit though. Honestly Him, Artest, and Jefferson and all about the same, each has some slight strengths over the other but I think any of the 3 would be fabulous for us.

I'm curious if Milwaukee would still be open to trade Jefferson, I think they may have wanted to get rid of Simmons more then actually getting RJ. With Alexander, Vilenueva, and Mason they have tons of 3s with no real 4. Vill does not play like a 4 at all. I was hoping if they did pull the Lamar trigger (which I don't think they should) that it would have been to NJ for the two LA kids Jefferson and Williams. At least Lamar would be close to home and we'd get two hometown kids that fill some spots. Oh well.
minifang
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#53 » by minifang » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:28 am

Artest may opt out after all! :D However, even on the off chance that he does opt out, he doesn't seem willing to accept the MLE.

It was less than a week ago that Ron Artest said he "probably won't" opt out of the final year of his contract with the Kings. But yesterday, in an email to the Sacramento Bee's Sam Amick, he said he's starting to change his mind:

"I never knew so many teams would be coming after me," he wrote. "All I can say is I made a hundred degree turnaround."

Artest is already on the record saying that the mid-level won't be enough to woo him ("Not in a million years," he said. "Actually, not in 10 million years"), so he must be getting feelers that someone is willing to break the bank. Who knows, maybe Boston really did make defense fashionable again. There really aren't a lot of teams with more than the MLE to spend, but if the Kings are going to lose him, they might be enticed to participate in a sign-and-trade for the right package.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/ ... after-all/
daddyfivestar
Banned User

Post#54 » by daddyfivestar » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:38 pm

But there are not alot of teams with 10 mill, 12 mill space avail so his options are limited unless he does a Joe Smith sign for less and work a longer deal or finishes his deal with SAC and maybe more teams will have space next yr.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by tkb » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:59 pm

Most likely there will only be 2 teams with any kind of significant cap space this summer.
Sedition
Starter
And1: 9

Post#56 » by Sedition » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:55 pm

His turnaround is only a hundred degrees right now, so I wouldn't hold your breath! :D
ChocolateThundr
Sixth Man
And1: 13

Post#57 » by ChocolateThundr » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Pleassseeee.....just 80 more degrees

Return to Los Angeles Lakers