ImageImageImageImageImage

Farmar

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Re: Farmar 

Post#21 » by Erik Eleven » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:54 pm

I expect Farmar to have improved a whole lot this summer. He is indeed a gym rat, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him shooting the three at a very high clip, all of next season.

If we're talking about his potential to become a star point guard, then he needs to play his own game, and I don't think that will happen under this current coaching staff. The triangle offense is an offense that he understands perfectly well, because he's a very brainy player, but it's not an ultimate fit for him. In my opinion, his natural game is a fast paced run and gun style offense, and if he wants to become a star point guard (AS level), he needs to play on a team that plays that way to flourish and be himself.

As much as I love his game and his attitude, that's why I wouldn't be opposed to offering him as trade bait to get rid of Radmanovic.

On an unrelated note, I want David Lee on the Lakers. Farmar would be perfect for their new team.
daddyfivestar
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by daddyfivestar » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:30 am

EE,
you get David Lee this way:
On the trade thread.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,881

Post#23 » by ronnymac2 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:58 am

Erik Eleven wrote:I expect Farmar to have improved a whole lot this summer. He is indeed a gym rat, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him shooting the three at a very high clip, all of next season.

If we're talking about his potential to become a star point guard, then he needs to play his own game, and I don't think that will happen under this current coaching staff. The triangle offense is an offense that he understands perfectly well, because he's a very brainy player, but it's not an ultimate fit for him. In my opinion, his natural game is a fast paced run and gun style offense, and if he wants to become a star point guard (AS level), he needs to play on a team that plays that way to flourish and be himself.

As much as I love his game and his attitude, that's why I wouldn't be opposed to offering him as trade bait to get rid of Radmanovic.

On an unrelated note, I want David Lee on the Lakers. Farmar would be perfect for their new team.

I dunno if you'd really wanna propose a lee/somebody else for farmar/vlad rad. First off, lee plays power foward. Now i know we lost ronny turiaf, and lee would make up for that because he's a similar player in terms of bringing toughness, good defense, great rebounding, and great hustle, but where would lee find time? we got odom, bynum, gasol....then other backups. Lee wouldn't find many minutes.

PLUS...we'd lose 2 very good outside shooters on our team, which are necesary with the makeup of the team and its system. I'm not exactly enamored my vlad's game (I really like farmar's game), and i do like david lee (i'm from new york, so i know what he does), but that trade wouldn't fit us too well imo.

I'm actually very content with the team right now. I say let's start the season off, see what different lineups we can use successfully, and if we need to tinker during the season, do it then. I want to give these guys a chance though. And unless somebody offers us somebody really good for farmar, i say we keep farmar and give him equal playing time with fisher (approximately equal time) this season. Imo, his realistic ceiling is being a VERY good 2-way point guard who is flexible in that he can excel in most any system. I don't really know about all-star level point guard....it's always a possibility. Hard work can do many things.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
gkonstantas
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#24 » by gkonstantas » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:39 am

laduane1 wrote:Farmar is getting better and I hope he used this summer to get even better. All the great ones try to up there game all the time. JF might never be a allstar. But he could be one of the better second level tier point guards.

Was Derek Fisher ever an All - Star????? No. Did he have the ability and leadership to be starting PG in the 3peat? Yes. We have a Superstar and many near-Allstar ability players. We just want a guy who can defend his player at the point, make some points and dishes. Do we like Farmar´s energy and play? I think we love it. This year he has to show consistency. He has a good teacher 34 yrs old. Don´t forget though that Fisher changed our game dramatically this time of last year, he brought back some contender smell... I like this guy to be started, even at that age.
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#25 » by TruSkool » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:06 pm

see what i like about farmar is that he doesnt back down from anyone...i think he stood up to marcus camby in the playoffs lol..that was impressive...

but just the fact that he gets ironed by bigger guards like deron williams makes me sick. he needs to hit the gym a little more than the basketball court, imo....
i really do hope hes a gym rat cuz its gona help us a lot...but if the right deal came...i wouldnt hesitate to trade him for another pg...

now that the gasol deal is said and done...i think i would have ---PERSONALLY--- kept crittenton and traded farmar....but obviously farmar was more developed at the time....but if critt got the PT, he would have had the better career
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#26 » by JellosJigglin » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:05 pm

I am not a fan of Farmar's and don't see any reason why his minutes would increase this year. He started off hot when Crittenton was threatening to take his minutes, then regressed after Critt got sent to Memphis. He lost his fire. I don't think he fits this style of offense. I remember him saying he preferred a more open style game after the Frosh/Soph ASG. I think Farmar will play the same number of minutes as last season, barring any injury to Fisher. I have my doubts he'll ever be a starter in this league.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
milesfides
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,449

Post#27 » by milesfides » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:57 pm

I think Farmar will be the most improved Laker this year.

Consistency was a bit lacking, sure, but that happens with limited minutes coming off the bench - even for veterans, let alone 21-year-old sophomores.

Two things he's short on are strength and experience. Getting a bit older, more strength training, (ahem, Bynum last year - see what a good summer workout can do for a young player). Chris Paul is an even smaller player than Farmar, but I've seen a major improvement in Paul's strength since his rookie year, he's not getting pushed around, he's finishing around the basket better. Nate Robinson is 5'7" - see what strength training can do for even small guys.

For Farmar, coming into his 3rd year, I think his physical weaknesses will be addressed. He also played in 82 games last year. A nice indication of durability.

Also, people are underrating his potential to improve - his PER jumped 5 points to 15+ in his 2nd year. His shooting percentage improved from 42% to 46%, high among all point guards. His 3-point shooting also was bumped up into the legit 3-point shooter range, 37%.

His play in the soph-rookie game just showed he has much more to his game. 12 assists in 20 minutes?

Farmar has scary potential. He's quick, he's athletic. Combine that with some increased muscle and strength training - and knowing Farmar and his gym rat mentality, book it.

His shooting has already taken a leap that few point guards EVER make in their entire career. Legit shooter from anywhere on the court, already as a sophomore. Not just a 3-point shooter, he can finish around the basket. Again, rare.

He has excellent anticipation on defense, reading plays, getting into lanes and intercepting passes. Imagine how the return of Bynum will free him to exert that defensive pressure and prevent Farmar from being exploited on defense.

34-year-old one-dimensional Derek Fisher is the only obstacle to Farmar's growth; this year will most likely be the year of change, considering everything at stake, considering Bynum's return.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher steps back to let Farmar step up and take this team.

Fisher's leadership and spot shooting are preserved if he comes off the bench.

But starting, developing chemistry with the starters, and getting 30 solid minutes every night, all could act as tinder for Farmar's spark.

Farmar will succeed at a very high level, eventually, some place. I hope it's next year as a Laker, and I could conceive of no reason why not.

This kid is talented, ambitious, and hard-working, and you never bet against people like that.
“OH! Caruso parachutes in! You cannot stop him - you can only hope to contain him!” -Kevin Harlan, LAL-GSW 4/4/19
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#28 » by Teen Girl Squad » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:25 pm

milesfides wrote:I think Farmar will be the most improved Laker this year.

Consistency was a bit lacking, sure, but that happens with limited minutes coming off the bench - even for veterans, let alone 21-year-old sophomores.

Two things he's short on are strength and experience. Getting a bit older, more strength training, (ahem, Bynum last year - see what a good summer workout can do for a young player). Chris Paul is an even smaller player than Farmar, but I've seen a major improvement in Paul's strength since his rookie year, he's not getting pushed around, he's finishing around the basket better. Nate Robinson is 5'7" - see what strength training can do for even small guys.

For Farmar, coming into his 3rd year, I think his physical weaknesses will be addressed. He also played in 82 games last year. A nice indication of durability.

Also, people are underrating his potential to improve - his PER jumped 5 points to 15+ in his 2nd year. His shooting percentage improved from 42% to 46%, high among all point guards. His 3-point shooting also was bumped up into the legit 3-point shooter range, 37%.

His play in the soph-rookie game just showed he has much more to his game. 12 assists in 20 minutes?

Farmar has scary potential. He's quick, he's athletic. Combine that with some increased muscle and strength training - and knowing Farmar and his gym rat mentality, book it.

His shooting has already taken a leap that few point guards EVER make in their entire career. Legit shooter from anywhere on the court, already as a sophomore. Not just a 3-point shooter, he can finish around the basket. Again, rare.

He has excellent anticipation on defense, reading plays, getting into lanes and intercepting passes. Imagine how the return of Bynum will free him to exert that defensive pressure and prevent Farmar from being exploited on defense.

34-year-old one-dimensional Derek Fisher is the only obstacle to Farmar's growth; this year will most likely be the year of change, considering everything at stake, considering Bynum's return.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fisher steps back to let Farmar step up and take this team.

Fisher's leadership and spot shooting are preserved if he comes off the bench.

But starting, developing chemistry with the starters, and getting 30 solid minutes every night, all could act as tinder for Farmar's spark.

Farmar will succeed at a very high level, eventually, some place. I hope it's next year as a Laker, and I could conceive of no reason why not.

This kid is talented, ambitious, and hard-working, and you never bet against people like that.

+1. Farmar is a baller in the truest sense of the word. I think he will be in the running for MIP next year.

As a side note, I never understood the absolute lovefest Lakers fans had with Critt though (especially the ones who still lament that we kept Farmar over him). He had like a total of 10 good minutes, had like 2 flashy plays and now he's the truth. Farmar is going to be Parkeresque IMO (though likely never quite as good as he is). Farmar does need to improve stregth but lets not forget that CP3 has had all sorts of fits with Deron for the exact same reason so its not as if Farmar is alone with having trouble with Deron.

Return to Los Angeles Lakers