Point Guard desired

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb, Danny Darko

TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Point Guard desired 

Post#1 » by TruSkool » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:59 pm

truth be told,

i think we need to upgrade our point guard...
jordan farmar is not a starting caliber pg for these reasons-
1)he's hard headed
2)hes not physically or mentally strong enough to keep up with the better pg's
3)average defense for a guard, at best.

as good as derek fisher is, he needs to get rested more, since he shows signs of fatigue here and there..obviously he can shoot the lights out, and his strong as any other guard, but we need to save him for crunch time situations.

this being said,
the lakers should look at a veteran pg, capable of starting.
shaun livingston
kirk hinrich
steve francis
leandro barbosa
etc
etc

we need to land a pg of that caliber...someone who can run, pass, and defend at a high pace.

the lakers have the pieces to make a trade...farmar, walton, vujacic can land a solid guard...the lakers should pull through with it, as derek fisher coming off the bench would just be a bonus!
0HeadAche0
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: Point Guard desired 

Post#2 » by 0HeadAche0 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:25 pm

i rate farmar really highly, i think he has temperament and ability to become our starting point guard of the future. i would like to see a backcourt of fisher and farmar more often but having vujacic kind of throws that all out the window imo.

i wouldn't say no to having a kirk hinrich in our team but i can't see it happening. farmar imo has the ability to play slow tempo half court offense and run high tempo offense, so there are a lot of upsides with having farmar. plus we get bynum back, so hopefully he will make up for farmar's not so great lateral quickness as bynum is a genuine 2.5 BPG threat imo and gasol has really long arms too.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#3 » by DEEP3CL » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:30 pm

iki4life wrote:truth be told,

i think we need to upgrade our point guard...
jordan farmar is not a starting caliber pg for these reasons-
1)he's hard headed
2)hes not physically or mentally strong enough to keep up with the better pg's
3)average defense for a guard, at best.

as good as derek fisher is, he needs to get rested more, since he shows signs of fatigue here and there..obviously he can shoot the lights out, and his strong as any other guard, but we need to save him for crunch time situations.

this being said,
the lakers should look at a veteran pg, capable of starting.
shaun livingston
kirk hinrich
steve francis
leandro barbosa
etc
etc

we need to land a pg of that caliber...someone who can run, pass, and defend at a high pace.

the lakers have the pieces to make a trade...farmar, walton, vujacic can land a solid guard...the lakers should pull through with it, as derek fisher coming off the bench would just be a bonus!
You down Jordan for not being mentally or physically tough but inclued those guys above ? Man you really don't know the Lakers that well or the system they run. First off none of those guys could run the Triangle offense. Two none of them are defensive guys at ALL.

I'd be pissed if any of those guys was on my team. Jordan is an always has been a hard worker he'll improve it just doesn't happen over night man. He's only entering his 3rd season, most players start to show who they'll be by year 4 in the pros.

Think of a new list of guys because this group is sad. You have one guy coming of a career threating injury, one who's washed out another who's only a shooter and nothing else and one who just saw his team draft another point because they don't believe in him anymore.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,812

Post#4 » by TylersLakers » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:45 pm

Isn't Lindsey Hunter a free agent? There's the answer right there.
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#5 » by Slava » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:07 pm

Amazing! Jordan Farmar is not mentally tough enough and suddenly the answer is Steve Francis? :rofl:
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
laka4life
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by laka4life » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Bynum makes Farmar so much better it's not even funny. He and Kobe can now play the passing lanes even more.

What makes Rondo a great def. pg???

He's got KG and Perkins behind him.

Just give Bynum time and your gonna see Farmar growth right with him.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24

Post#7 » by kno » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:46 pm

TylersLakers wrote:Isn't Lindsey Hunter a free agent? There's the answer right there.

Bingo.

Lindsey Hunter would be the ONLY player within reach that I'd think of starting over Fish.

BTW, Sean Livingston is a veteran PG?

Just to let you know, Farmar is just as much as a vet, seeing as how Farmar has played in more games than Sean. lol
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#8 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Lindsey Hunter will be 39 this year.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by kno » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:12 pm

Phil_2.0 wrote:Lindsey Hunter will be 39 this year.

As long as he can still prove worthy on the defensive side of the ball (where he still hasnt disappointed), does age really matter?

Sure, he's not going to give the Lakers than 10/4 performance he used to, but Im sure he can give them 10 minutes of solid D at the PG spot, relieving both Fish and Farmar.

BTW, maybe I did go a little overboard with my "starting over FIsher comment" on the other post, but you knew what I meant. lol
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Slava » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:20 pm

laka4life wrote:Bynum makes Farmar so much better it's not even funny. He and Kobe can now play the passing lanes even more.

What makes Rondo a great def. pg???

He's got KG and Perkins behind him.

Just give Bynum time and your gonna see Farmar growth right with him.

I'm pretty sure KG and Perkins don't have much behind Rondo's 4:1 ast/to ratio in the season and 6:1 ast/to ratio in the playoffs though.
lakerboy
Sophomore

Post#11 » by lakerboy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:14 pm

we all know PJ only likes and plays certain people.we had lindsey the first time around he did NOT get any time or any that could matter.I say sit on what we have,because PJ knows the guy he wants and if we or mitch can't get him let's not just settle for whatever left.
WhiteMansKareem
Banned User

Post#12 » by WhiteMansKareem » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:53 pm

Jordan Farmar is the point guard of the future. I predict within 2-3 years he will be unanimously considered the best point guard in the league. This guys has major talent. He is money from long range, has amazing hops, jewish, great energy, and best of all he knows what it takes to win.

No way in hell do we need another point guard when we already have a future hall of famer in Jordan Farmar.
kno
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by kno » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:15 pm

WhiteMansKareem wrote:Jordan Farmar is the point guard of the future. I predict within 2-3 years he will be unanimously considered the best point guard in the league. This guys has major talent. He is money from long range, has amazing hops, jewish, great energy, and best of all he knows what it takes to win.

No way in hell do we need another point guard when we already have a future hall of famer in Jordan Farmar.

Ouch.

Youre in for a scare.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#14 » by LLcoleJ » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:24 pm

WhiteMansKareem wrote:Jordan Farmar is the point guard of the future. I predict within 2-3 years he will be unanimously considered the best point guard in the league. This guys has major talent. He is money from long range, has amazing hops, jewish, great energy, and best of all he knows what it takes to win.

joke account ?
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Slava » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:52 pm

^^ Phil Jackson? Nice try. :lol:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Slava » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:53 pm

This is the same guy that said a healthy Mihm was the greatest ever in the other thread too. :rofl:
KB20
Head Coach
And1: 4

Post#17 » by KB20 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:32 am

green font?
TruSkool
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#18 » by TruSkool » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:35 am

lol deep3cl or whatever ur name is...

on a serious note,

if YOU knew anything about the "lakers system"...you wouldnt think farmar>hinrich...for that matter you wouldnt think farmar>livingston...damnit even farmar>francis would be stupid
SERIOUSLY!

besides livingston's injury, the dude is like 6'4 with arms of that indian dude from street fighter. the lakers would be idiots not to jump all over that...and hinrich is just so obvious. hes better, not injured, and proven more.
what would jack bauer do?
Veteran
And1: 295

Post#19 » by what would jack bauer do? » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:24 am

Yeah, dude Farmar is the last rotation player on our team I'd want to see with the ball with the clock running down. I've never seen a player worse with clock management at the end of games. I think I remember 3 different games where he didn't get a shot up at the end of the clock... actually I remember 1 game where he didn't even make a move... dude just dribbled the clock out and tried to make a move as the clock expired. I was like woww when he did that, i've heard of taking the shot too early, but making a move as the clock expired was the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

Another thing that bugs me about him is that he's a freak athlete, yet Dfish who's 10 plus years older than him still is still a better defender.

That's all good though Farmar will never have the handles or that smooth control of the floor like Paul, Billups, Van Exel, or even lower tier pgs have, but he can still be a starter calibur player. All the triangle requires you to do as a pg is shoot and play defense. Besides, Farmar always works on his game in the summer. I can't wait to see what he's done this offseason, if he shows the same amount of progess we'll be damn good. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and become a smart player in the half court or in the half court once he's more experienced.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#20 » by dockingsched » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:34 am

livingston is like 6'4" or something? he's 3 whole inches taller. how do u not know that if he's the player u think is the answer to the lakers pg "woes"? are u aware that he had a catastrophic knee injury? just checking.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore

Return to Los Angeles Lakers